• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying walking sticks in SJPDP

DonaldGimmy

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept. Oct. 2015 SJPD to Santiago
Can I buy walking sticks in St. Jean Pied de Port? If yes, about how much? It seems it would be easier to buy them in SJPDP rather than risk traveling with them. Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can also buy awesome wooden sticks for under €10 each in SJPP and all along the Camino. They make very nice mementos.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, I am interested in buying wooden sticks but am not sure if I am allowed to bring them back to Australia with me. I will be starting my camino in August.

Hi, I am interested in buying wooden sticks but am not sure if I am allowed to bring them back to Australia with me. I will be starting my camino in August.
I bought a wooden sticking SJPP and managed to bring it home by taping it to my checked bag and putting it in "oversize" luggage. A great souvenir.

Last year I bought "high end" sticks that are similar to my Black diamond ones for 22e each. My sticks from home got "lost" in transit.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks, sorry for my ignorance, but am not sure what "high end" means in regards to walking sticks. Also, I will only have carry on luggage, not checked in luggage.

There are differences between a 10e stick and a 22e stick. I preferred the more expensive stick due to its lighter weight and a very good method of clamping the sliding sections together. Go to a local store before you leave and see what they have. Or better yet use the internet for your search. Remember that you will need two of then and if you haven't used them before check on the internet for a video or two on how to use them.

Thanks. Will try to "try some out" before we make the final choice. I will definitely watch some instructional videos.

If you are coming through Bayonne there is a Decathlon outdoors store with a range of hiking poles. The French site will have the prices or check the UK site for product descriptions. Warning: Much like a trip to IKEA one has to resist the temptation to buy extras. Actually easier than IKEA as you've got to carry it all.

You can also buy awesome wooden sticks for under €10 each in SJPP and all along the Camino. They make very nice mementos.

Mine was 18 euros. But it was one of the taller ones. I loved it. Wouldn't walk with anything else. Sadly, the airline lost it. I still miss Mr. Stick.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.