• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

By boat from Jaffe?

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I haven’t read the article yet (brain needs to be better caffeinated to read Spanish), but will this boat be loaded with stones?

Sounds like fun.

I haven’t read the article yet (brain needs to be better caffeinated to read Spanish), but will this boat be loaded with stones?

Sounds like fun.
Not sure. Does look like a different adventure. If you open the link in Google it should auto translate. I read it in Spanish first, then English to test my comprehension.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
😆.

Tall ships. Not for me but it sure sounds like fun and it must be great to watch when they sail into Vigo harbour. But 1,000 volunteer crew members, as it says in the article? That sounds a lot …

1655182078399.png

Last edited:
I see now on their website that they do not sail from Jaffa in Israel but rather commemorate the apostle’s fictive or legendary journey from Palestine. They sail a journey of 4 legs, each separately bookable for the duration of one week and for about €1200. These start from Genova in Italy, then from Valencia and Sevilla in Spain and finally from Porto in Portugal, ending in Vigo with transport to Monte do Gozo or Milladoiro for the last few kilometres on foot which will qualify for the Cathedral’s Compostela.

Quote: “Although it was initially planned so, it has been ruled out to start the route in Israel for navigation safety reasons.”

Last edited:
not surprised to hear about new ideas... a couple of years ago somebody wanted to do it from Bilbao or Santander to somewhere in Galicia. And new methods will come up, I am sure!
reading this article, it is actually 10 sailing boats that will be doing this lovely cruises which, in my opinion, have NOTHING to do with Camino de Santiago in the remotest way...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
not surprised to hear about new ideas... a couple of years ago somebody wanted to do it from Bilbao or Santander to somewhere in Galicia. And new methods will come up, I am sure!
reading this article, it is actually 10 sailing boats that will be doing this lovely cruises which, in my opinion, have NOTHING to do with Camino de Santiago in the remotest way...
I am sure someone will sign up to make the voyage though. Not me though.

a couple of years ago somebody wanted to do it from Bilbao or Santander to somewhere in Galicia. And new methods will come up, I am sure! reading this article, it is actually 10 sailing boats that will be doing this lovely cruises which, in my opinion, have NOTHING to do with Camino de Santiago in the remotest way...
I think that one can only say that if one believes that the Camino de Santiago and the regional government of Galicia and their interest in attracting visitors to Galicia and supporting and fostering tourism have nothing to do with each other. The connection between the two is well established and dates back to the 1960s. ☺️

On their website, you see the logos of all the stakeholders in this particular project: the Xunta of Galicia, the Xacobeo 21-22 programme, the Port of Vigo and and many more.

Travelling on a sailing ship for at least 100 nautical miles to a port in Galicia, walking the last few kilometres on foot and getting a Compostela is nothing new. It has been official for several years already. The credencial issued by the Cathedral of Santiago displays the icon of a sailing boat on page 2, together with the icons of a person with a backpack and a staff, of a bicycle, of a horse, and of a wheelchair. On page 3 it stipulates one of the conditions for qualifying for a Compostela: "o 100 millas y terminando los últimos kilómetres a pie".

Last month - May 2022 - 14 Compostelas were given to pilgrims whose mode of transport was "vela".

Last edited:
I think that one can only say that if one believes that the Camino de Santiago and the regional government of Galicia and their interest in attracting visitors to Galicia and supporting and fostering tourism have nothing to do with each other. The connection between the two is well established and dates back to the 1960s. ☺️

On their website, you see the logos of all the stakeholders in this particular project: the Xunta of Galicia, the Xacobeo 21-22 programme, the Port of Vigo and and many more.

Travelling on a sailing ship for at least 100 nautical miles to a port in Galicia, walking the last few kilometres on foot and getting a Compostela is nothing new. It has been official for several years already. The credencial issued by the Cathedral of Santiago displays the icon of a sailing boat on page 2, together with the icons of a person with a backpack and a staff, of a bicycle, of a horse, and of a wheelchair. On page 3 it stipulates one of the conditions for qualifying for a Compostela: "o 100 millas y terminando los últimos kilómetres a pie".

Last month - May 2022 - 14 Compostelas were given to pilgrims whose mode of transport was "vela".
now you explained. I was wondering how to get by boat to Santiago
I saw it at the Pilgrims Office but by then nobody could explain this.
Thanks for that.🙏

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I haven't a clue about sailing or how physically demanding it is and I will never set foot on a boat to sail one hundred or more nautical miles to a port near Santiago. One would be hard pressed, however, to not regard this mode of travel as a traditional way of going on pilgrimage to Santiago. The map below provides a more realistic map of traditional ways than the usual map with the supposedly 4 main ways in France and the plethora of caminos in Spain. It shows the most common sea routes. Traditionally, pilgrims from pretty much everywhere sailed most or part of their way to Santiago: not only from the British Isles but also from the Nordic countries, the Baltic countries, from France, Germany, the Low Countries and Italy. I have read the detailed account of a pilgrim from Austria who went, in 1654, on foot, on horseback, in horse-driven coaches and by boat from Austria to Italy and then from Genua to Corsica, past Mallorca, Menorca and Ibiza to Xabea which lies between Valencia and Alicante and then again on land to Santiago

In another recent news article, seven sailing boats with 28 people set sail from Cadiz; after arrival in their port of destination in Galicia, they, too, travelled by road to the town of Milladoiro near Santiago de Compostela from where they walked the seven kilometres to the Cathedral. They do regard it as a peregrinación.
Map.jpg

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

As more people discover the Camino, the usual routes will become more crowded. Wanting a more spiritual/meditative pilgrimage, I have charted a more "rustic"/rural (anti-social?) route, but would...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back