• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

By car with children ... and camping

anniehm

Thinking about driving the route from France next summer. Time constraints and children who complain far too much mean we cannot walk large sections but hope to just do the last 100km on foot. Anybody know if there are campsites en route - plan is to spend 4 days driving it to give plenty of time to visit towns along the way. Also plan is to leave the car at the end and backtrack by bus (hopefully) so we can walk the last section over 4 days is this feasible? Can older kids be accomodated in hostels (theres no way we can carry the tent) are there b&bs. can't find anything on kids being on the route anywhere???? :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You don't say how old the children are! I've seen children secondary school age in albergues, I saw a child in a pushchair in a private albergue (they had a private room).
It's perfectly possible to park in Sarria, walk, then get the bus back from Santiago.There are plenty of B&Bs, private hotels etc not necessarily always where you want to stop! Personally I think 4 days would be pushing it, I doubt you 'fell walk' with full backpacks. you need to get a good guide book and see what is available in the way of stopping places and where.
You say summer next year, don't forget the heat in Spain!
Sue

First of all, welcome to the Forum!

Second, like sulu, I think you would be pushing it to walk from Sarria to Santiago in 4 days, especially with kids in tow. There are plenty of pensiones & hostals where you could stay,especially in the larger towns, in addition to albergues. It might even be more economical for you to stay in pensiones, etc, as albergues charge per head. Might as well spend 40 Euro +/- for your own room & quite possibly your own bathroom.

I suggest getting at least the CSJ & Brierley guides, as they tend to be the most up-to-date guides available.

Kelly

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
after due consideration we have "chickened out"! Still going by car, and 1800 miles is quite a trek even if it doesn't meet the criteria for being a pilgrim, but its air conditioned hotels for us, stuff the cost you only live once! But the advantage is we have more time to explore and can visit Lourdes as well. Now I just have to find somewhere to stay in Santiago, nice hotels with stars are all well and good, but I want somewhere with character, any ideas? (we don't have to have air con but parking within 1/4 mile would be preferable) and must have 2 rooms on the same floor / family room) 8)

anniehm said:
after due consideration we have "chickened out"! Still going by car, and 1800 miles is quite a trek even if it doesn't meet the criteria for being a pilgrim, but its air conditioned hotels for us, stuff the cost you only live once! But the advantage is we have more time to explore and can visit Lourdes as well. Now I just have to find somewhere to stay in Santiago, nice hotels with stars are all well and good, but I want somewhere with character, any ideas? (we don't have to have air con but parking within 1/4 mile would be preferable) and must have 2 rooms on the same floor / family room) 8)

Annie,

In Santiago the recently renovated seminary San Martin Pinario which faces the north side of the cathedral has rooms with character for BOTH pilgrims and tourists. Their web link is http://www.sanmartinpinario.eu/. My private single pilgrim room with heat, bathroom and buffet breakfast was 23€ in December. After walking 50 days and staying in coed pilgrim dorms this was pure luxury!

Good luck on your adventure,

Margaret

I second the recommendation for San Martin Pinario. We stayed there for a total of three weeks, and the staff could not have been friendlier. Breakfast is also really yummy!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back