• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

by the seat of my pants! from Ponferrada

ready to go

Time of past OR future Camino
(2018)
Hello all! I'm brand new to the forum so, patience please.
I have been mulling the idea of a camino for about a year and recently just decided to book it and go. I will be travelling alone and am arriving in Madrid Sept 11, arriving in Ponferrada via bus from there on Sept 12. I am staying at the Hotel Novo in Ponferrada the night of the 12th and begin my camino on Sept 13.
As my title suggests, I am doing this a bit off the cuff. I have read no guide books, I have no maps (other than the basic internet searches) and essentially no real plan. I do have a rough idea of how far I need to walk each day and an idea of what towns I could stay in by name only.
How big of a deal is this? Do I need to get a guide book rushed to me? Are there taxis at the bus station in Ponferrada that I can take to the hotel? The hotel's web site says they are "on the camino route" but, is it?
Any help or advice is appreciated!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, welcome to the forum! I suggest that you start surfing the Internet to get as much information as possible. One good site is mundicamino.com. They provide maps, information regarding the Albergues, What facilities there are, where and when. Etc etc. Although in Spanish, You can read it in English by hitting the British flag at the top of the page.
Another of my favorite sites is the Eroski site: caminodesantiago.consumer.es . This one is on Spanish only, but again, a hive of information! Buen Camino! Anne

"on the camino route" but, is it?
It is close to the camino on its exit from down, but at some distance from the center of Ponferrada. Yes, there are taxis.

Buen camino from an advocate of having a guidebook.;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
People used to walk the camino before there was a guidebook so its possible.

Find the yellow arrows that mark the way and follow them west.

Hello all! I'm brand new to the forum so, patience please.
I have been mulling the idea of a camino for about a year and recently just decided to book it and go. I will be travelling alone and am arriving in Madrid Sept 11, arriving in Ponferrada via bus from there on Sept 12. I am staying at the Hotel Novo in Ponferrada the night of the 12th and begin my camino on Sept 13.
As my title suggests, I am doing this a bit off the cuff. I have read no guide books, I have no maps (other than the basic internet searches) and essentially no real plan. I do have a rough idea of how far I need to walk each day and an idea of what towns I could stay in by name only.
How big of a deal is this? Do I need to get a guide book rushed to me? Are there taxis at the bus station in Ponferrada that I can take to the hotel? The hotel's web site says they are "on the camino route" but, is it?
Any help or advice is appreciated!

Greets, Ready!
It appears your hotel is about a mile from the route but no matter. Whats a mile compared to all the miles you will be doing! As for me, pouring over maps and guide books before a journey is half the fun. I bought John Brierley's book, Camino de Santiago, over the internet. My husband and I liked it and packed it and used it off & on during our camino. We started from Ponferrada also, May of this year. I am very excited for you. How far do you plan to walk each day? Have a wonderful journey. Via con Dios and Buen Camino.

It really does vary a bit. I think I have shorter distances than many but I'm hoping to make it an easy enjoyable journey. I tend to meander. I have estimated between 21 and 27 km / day until leaving Santiago to Fisteria. Those days are a bit longer it would seem.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ready To Go:
Can you tell me how you found out which bus to take? I will be arriving in Madrid on October 2 and would like to begin my walk in Ponferrada as well, but have no idea where to start looking for transport. Buen Camino!

People used to walk the camino before there was a guidebook so its possible.

Find the yellow arrows that mark the way and follow them west.

That is exactly what I did. All I had was a list of towns and distances from the Godesalco website. I got off the train in Astorga and started walking. I made the decision to go on the Monday, on Wednesday I was walking in Spain.

I loved it, every day was a new discovery. Walk til you're tired, stop where you like.

From the airport:
Aeropuerto Madrid - Barajas T4 Ponferrada 09:35 15:45 6h 10min 29.34€
Aeropuerto Madrid - Barajas T4 -Ponferrada 13:45 18:50 5h 05min 40.24€
Aeropuerto Madrid - Barajas T4 -Ponferrada 14:45 20:35 5h 50min 29.34€
Aeropuerto Madrid - Barajas T4 -Ponferrada 15:45 20:45 5h 00min 48.7€
Aeropuerto Madrid - Barajas T4 -Ponferrada 16:45 22:30 5h 45min 29.34€
Aeropuerto Madrid - Barajas T4 -Ponferrada 23:59 05:15 +1día 5h 16min 29.34€

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi,
I did my first Camino del Norte in 2011 by following the arrows and learning and surviving as I went along. And repeated the trick on the Frances last year.It made it even more special for me. Great fun, you'll love it. Just relax and walk.
Buen Camino,
Johnny.

P.S. Ear plugs and vaseline for your feet ;O)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good luck- I just completed my second Camino- this time with my wife and two year old. Because I was traveling with a child I had to plan much more than when I traveled solo. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back