• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

By train from Lisbon to Porto

Anneshie

Hello,

We are walking from Porto to Santiago starting May 12, 2012. I did not know that there are
about 4 different routes to Santiago, we are leaning towards taking the coastal route, but will decide when we get there, and whether the wind is blowing or not.

My questions is about traveling from Lisbon to Porto. I want to do it by train, but don't feel
like booking ahead, as I want to sight see in Lisbon, and don't know my exact dates/times for Porto.

Must it be done before the time, or can I just hop on a train once I am done seeing Lisbon?
And; apparently there are more than one train service going from Lisbon to Porto, I guess I can
just ask at the check in desk?

Thanks all

Anne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Anne,

You should be able to just turn up and purchase before travelling. I certainly was able to when travelling from Porto to Valenca. The current cost between Lisbon and Porto is EUR 24 or EUR 30 depending on the speed of the service. There may be some discount for buying in advance on the web but then you may have to specify the train.

The current weekday timetable is shown below and the Portugese Rail website is http://www.cp.pt

Regards
Mig

Attachments

• LisbonPorto.JPG
    LisbonPorto.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 2,888
Wow, Miguel, I am always in awe of people who can copy and past things from the web into a posting. The only thing I would add for Anne is that the times you have shown are the departure time for the Lisbon-Oriente train station. That station is further inland along the Tejo, north of Lisbon by about 10 kms. If you are actually visiting Lisbon and want to take the train, you will go to the Santa Apolonia train station, which is also on the river but essentially in downtown. The trains leave a few minutes earlier from Santa Apolonia, I think it's only about 7 minutes to Oriente.

I have done that trip a few times and never had a problem getting on a train to Porto from Lisbon at the last mintue.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is whether ALL trains start in Santa Apolonia or whether some originate in Oriente. But you can be sure there are plenty of trains going to Porto from the downtown station.

Buen camino! Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oops :oops: . Laurie you are completely correct. All trains appear to originate at the downtown station roughly 10 mins before. Updated timetable below.

Thanks for spotting the oversight.

Mig

Attachments

• LisbonPorto2.JPG
    LisbonPorto2.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 2,931
Thanks so much, I feel much better now, knowing I don't have to book anything. And thanks for the time table.
Much appreciated

Anne

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Which Station in Porto is the best one to go to to find pilgrim accomodations and a pilgrim office to get our credencials officially stamped?
Thanks!

Looking forward to walking the Camino Portugese in May of this year!

Which Station in Porto is the best one to go to to find pilgrim accomodations and a pilgrim office to get our credencials officially stamped?
Thanks!

Looking forward to walking the Camino Portugese in May of this year!
Hi, ouroboros,
There is no pilgrim office in Porto. And I believe there is only one train station (it is a beauty by the way, with gorgeous historical scenes done in blue and white tiles). I suppose the most "official" stamp you can get in Porto is at the cathedral, but you can get stamps (carimbo, in Portuguese) from many bars, restaurants, hotels, etc.

A very up to date list of albergues is on the Via Lusitana website:

http://www.vialusitana.org/caminho-portugues/albergues/

There are, as of just last year, I believe, now several pilgrim-specific places in Porto, here's a link to one of them: http://www.albergueperegrinosporto.pt

Bom caminho, Laurie

There are two train stations in Porto:
- São Bento, the beautiful one and the one you should go to if you're looking for accommodation, restaurants, cathedral, etc
- Campanhã, "outside" the city where, sometimes, you might need to change trains, depending on where you are going to / coming from

If I'm not mistaken (and I might be) Lisbon does not have direct trains to Porto - São Bento
You go from Lisbon to Porto - Campanhã and then you take another train to Porto - São Bento (4 min ride)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are two train stations in Porto:
- São Bento, the beautiful one and the one you should go to if you're looking for accommodation, restaurants, cathedral, etc
- Campanhã, "outside" the city where, sometimes, you might need to change trains, depending on where you are going to / coming from

If I'm not mistaken (and I might be) Lisbon does not have direct trains to Porto - São Bento
You go from Lisbon to Porto - Campanhã and then you take another train to Porto - São Bento (4 min ride)

Thanks for the accurate information, JCLima. I am virtually certain I took a train from the tiled train station to Lisbon. Where is Campanha?

I am virtually certain I took a train from the tiled train station to Lisbon.
It is possible :p As I said, I may be mistaken especially because I've never done that trip myself.

I've always been under the impression that you have to do, at least, one train change to do Lisboa -> São Bento. It's just one of those things I think I know but maybe (and apparently) I don't. ahaha
Where is Campanha?
Campanhã is the first stop for every train leaving São Bento (see the attachment)
In the image, you can see the rail goes from São Bento to Campanhã and then goes up, or down, depending on the direction you need to go.

Attachments

• porto2.png
    porto2.png
    249 KB · Views: 10
Hi, I usually take the bus between Porto and Lisbon, but the one time I took the train I had to get it at Campanha.
Jill

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks so much for all your help!
Perhaps the bus would be a good option from Lisbon to Porto.
I was told to look for RENEX bus company.

Thanks so much for all your help!
Perhaps the bus would be a good option from Lisbon to Porto.
I was told to look for RENEX bus company.

The train journey from Lisbon is wonderful and the view as you first glimpse Porto and Vila Nova de Gaia when crossing over the Douro river on the high bridge is a sight you will never forget - unless it's foggy that day.:D

The train journey from Lisbon is wonderful and the view as you first glimpse Porto and Vila Nova de Gaia when crossing over the Douro river on the high bridge is a sight you will never forget - unless it's foggy that day.:D
It is settled then! Must take the train!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree that the views across the Douro on the high bridge are stunning. In fact, they are so good that it would be a shame to have those three minutes on the train be your only enjoyment of them. Whether you take the train or bus into Porto, you can easily get back across the upper level of the Dom Luis bridge, either on the tram (lots of stops in central Porto, including one at the Sao Bento train station) or walking. Bring a picnic to the Parque do Morro at the high edge of Vila Nova de Gaia (the town on the south side of the Douro River), and then walk down the little streets to the river's edge where you can visit some of the Port lodges.

What I'm not sure of is whether the train goes across the upper level -- SEB, can you clarify? I thought that the only traffic on the upper level is pedestrian and tram. And I also recently learned that trains from Lisbon only stop at Campanha, not Sao Bento, and from there you have to hope on a local train into the center. Confusing!

Yes, peregrina 2000, I had to change trains at Campanha for Sao Bento station. I have tried to check whether it is the Dom Luis bridge that the train to Sao Bento goes over but cannot confirm this. by the time I arrived in Porto I had been travelling for so many hours, including the Madrid night train to Lisbon, which, unless you can have a compartment to yourself, I could not recommend. I ended up leaving my shared compartment because of inconsiderate fellow travellers and going to the reclining seats coach - a night from hell!
Also, when you arrive at sao bento it is worth getting a card there for travel on the metro system in Porto, I didn't know this and repeatedly tried and failed to use the ticket machines at a metro station before being advised to go to the main station. Bom Caminho!

What I'm not sure of is whether the train goes across the upper level -- SEB, can you clarify? I thought that the only traffic on the upper level is pedestrian and tram.
Trains have their own bridge: São João.
They do not cross D. Luís bridge.

(...) I have tried to check whether it is the Dom Luis bridge that the train to Sao Bento goes over but cannot confirm this. (...)
All trains leaving São Bento go through Campanhã and then, if they are heading south, they cross Douro through São João bridge.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Trains have their own bridge: São João.
They do not cross D. Luís bridge.

All trains leaving São Bento go through Campanhã and then, if they are heading south, they cross Douro through São João bridge.

Thanks, JC Lima, I think you are the one who cleared up my mistake about the trains leaving from Sao Bento. I am sure I left from Sao Bento, but what I must have forgotten was that I had to take the tram from Sao Bento to Campanha and then changed onto the train to Lisbon there.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back