• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

By train from UK

dwin64

Hi, I'm starting my Camino in May and am looking at travelling from the UK (midlands) to SJPP by train. Has anyone else done this and what were your experiences?
Many thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I live in Wolverhampton (also in central England). I haven't seen any post about this option but that does not mean there isn't one as I just haven't looked. I haven't explored costs or time for train travel all the way to SJPdP but I'm sure it will be a lot more expensive, longer and more tiring. The train from Wolves to Stanstead alone is almost as much as my flight, so it would be interesting to see how you get on. Please keep us informed of you research. I'm flying into Biarritz on mAy 9th, getting Express Buricott to SJPdP and staring out the next day so may well see you along the way.
Happy Planning and Buen Camino
allan

dwin64 said:
Hi, I'm starting my Camino in May and am looking at travelling from the UK (midlands) to SJPP by train. Has anyone else done this and what were your experiences?
Many thanks.
hi dwin64
just booked a train for the 3rd April from Paris montparnasse to Bayonne leaves 7.28 -gets there 12.30 cheap price of £30.From Bayonne its a simple connection to sjpp but I don't think you can book in advance.but its a cheap and not very long journey
I looked at trains from home at "the man in seat 61" contains all the information you will need,
because I'm always looking for the cheap option I will be catching a coach to London Victoria lots of cheap buses megabus ect ranging from £10 to £30 to Paris but they take forever to get there :(
if booked in advance the trains in France are cheap but the English options can be through the roof but come down if booked in advance,the site mentioned above is the best with all the info and links you will need.
I caught trains right through once and it was a very relaxed journey apart from the change in Paris you tend to have 1 hour between stations and if you don't know the metro it can be a worry but I made it with 1/2 hour to spare.
Ian

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have not trained from the UK to Spain but it is pretty straight forward.

The EuroStar will get you to Paris and from there take the TVG to Saint Jean PdP and you are set.

Check out http://www.seat61.com for more information about taking the train from the UK to almost anywhere in Europe and most of Asia (including SE Asia).

I travelled by Eurostar and the night sleeper from Paris Austerlitz to Bayonne in April 2012. Great journey, inexpensive - and a night in a 6 bed couchette was a great introduction to Albergue life.

Thank you all for your replies, they've been very helpful. I couldn't find an inexpensive flight that didn't involve me getting to London at a very early hour and didn't take 9-10 hours! I think I must be missing something. I'm going to give the train a go.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Train from Wolves at 5:24 (from Brum 05:50) gets to Stanstead at 08:45 changing at Euston and Tottenham Hale costing £27.00. I got my flight to Biarritz for £62.00 Total £89.00, hard to beat. Yes I have 3 and a half hours in Stanstead, but plenty of time to get to SJPdp at the other end and enjoy it a little before setting out next day. Fortunately for me I can sleep anywhere (I often fall asleep on the oplane before take off! :lol: )
Coming back SDC flight at 10:00 into Stanstead 11:00 (cost me £78) for 12:00 train which gets to Wolves 15:11.
Hope this helps.
allan

Hey Camino Travellers, many thanks indeed for all this info - Mike & I arrive Melbourne/London 16 July 2013 & plan to train it to Pamplona by 21 July from where we commence our Camino - your information on how to get by train from UK is gratefully appreciated...............Annette

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We did the journey by train, last Seotember.
Stroud to Paddington, tube to St Pancras.
Eurostar to Paris, then we got a taxi to Montparnasse , to save time, and messing around on the metro. I think it cost 18 euros. Then the TGV to Bayonne, which took 5 hours. We stayed overnight in a pre-booked hotel in Bayonne, the caught the train to SJPDP the following morning at around 8.30 which gave us time to go to the pilgrims office and begin the camino that day.
Booking in advance the train from London to Bayonne cost £145 for both of us, or £72.50 each.
Booked through raileurope .

Dwin64:

Traveled from London, St. Pancras to Paris (2h 30m), then metro to Montparnesse (15m), Montparnesse to Bayonne (5h) and then bus to SJPdP(1h 30m) (train tracks being repaired in 2010). Nice trip but a long day. Do not remember cost.

In 2011, I hired a car from London to Stansted (50 quid) (1h 30m). Then flew Stansted to Biarritz (2h 30m). Cab to Bayonne (15m) (23 euros). Local train to SJPdP.

Do not recall all costs but the flight from Stansted to Biarritz trip was faster and cheaper.

Ultreya,
Joe

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back