A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

LIVE from the Camino C Clearly on the Vasco, October 2019

Camino T-shirt

C clearly

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
Here we are, in Beasain already! It seems like ages - it only takes me 48 hours now to become engrossed in the Camino.

My 2 daughters and I met up at Biarritz airport 48 hours ago, one daughter without her backpack that has gone (and remains) astray. We walked only about 8 km of the "first" day to Astigarraga. The highlight was my slipping in the mud - didn't you do that, @VNwalking ?

Then, today we walked 13 km of the distance to Beasain. The commuter train conveniently serves many of these towns at the start. This gave us the chance to do the luggage business, catch up on sleep, get into the mood, and build some flex time into our 12 days. We hope to walk the rest of the way to Burgos.

The weather has been beautiful but tomorrow has rain in the forecast. Fortunately it is only 18 km to Zegama.

More details are in my blog at www.tritetales.com if you are interested.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
Here we are, in Beasain already! It seems like ages - it only takes me 48 hours now to become engrossed in the Camino.

My 2 daughters and I met up at Biarritz airport 48 hours ago, one daughter without her backpack that has gone (and remains) astray. We walked only about 8 km of the "first" day to Astigarraga. The highlight was my slipping in the mud - didn't you do that, @VNwalking ?

Then, today we walked 13 km of the distance to Beasain. The commuter train conveniently serves many of these towns at the start. This gave us the chance to do the luggage business, catch up on sleep, get into the mood, and build some flex time into our 12 days. We hope to walk the rest of the way to Burgos.

The weather has been beautiful but tomorrow has rain in the forecast. Fortunately it is only 18 km to Zegama.

Yes, interested, thanks for the link. Hope the rucksack shows up soon. I look forward to more.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!

So if you're going to Burgos that means you're on Via de Bayona and not Vasco del Interior ;)

Anyway watch out for that mud. There can be a lot of it on the way up to San Adrian Tunnel!

C clearly

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
So if you're going to Burgos that means you're on Via de Bayona and not Vasco del Interior ;)
You are correct of course and I was pondering this as I looked at the big map on the wall in the albergue this morning. The way the map is labelled has the Via de Bayona starting far from Bayona. I'm not sure we can fight the influence of that map! Besides, I like to recognize the "Vasco" part.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
didn't you do that, @VNwalking ?
We wallowed! The mud on that first day was epic, and far more impressive than the small amount on the way up to the tunnel.
Chicken bridge?
It's in the post about Beasain to Zegama (#49?).
One of the most charming things ever - someone really cares about their hens.

Super buen camino to all of you, @C clearly !
May your weather be wonderful for the walk over to Salvatierra!

Last edited:

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 - 2019
I HATE MUD! I can handle the cold, wind, rain and snow. I can even adapt to the odd really hot and sunny day. But, I HATE MUD...in any conditions...

I go out of my way to avoid it when I can. Consider walking, carefully, in the adjacent fields. Take care not to trample the farmer's work.

C clearly

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So far, the mud has not been too bad. Except of course, for that bit that I slipped on, which was epic 😉. (Otherwise I would not have sat in it!)

A nice walk today - a civilized 17 km from Beasain to Zegama. The rain threatened early on, so we put on jackets, etc., but it never materialized. The walk and countryside were very pleasant - the off-highway route, through Olaberria.

Now staying in the pleasant Pension Ostatu Zagama, and just finished a delicious menú del día (the first for my daughters). We are resting up before a night on the town. 🤣

We encountered a Swiss pilgrim en route and saw her in the dining room as well.

We have chorizo, cheese and fruit ready for tomorrow's walk.

Still waiting and hoping the backpack will be delivered tonight. If not, it will get more complicated.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
I told Antonio in Beasain that I was friends with @VNwalking and @SabineP. He remembered you well and was very happy!
Awwwww.
Nice.

Wishing you fair weather for the morrow - it's a hill to be sure, but a glorious walk. And may that wayward pack arrive!

SabineP

Camino = Empathy + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
BTW. For tomorrow , if you will be staying in the muni albergue in Salvatierra/Agurain : the keys are to be collected at the local sportshall. It is kiosk-like building in glass on the way out of this small town. . You will have to take stairs or lift to the basement where an employee will help you further.

This place serves excellent food! They also rent rooms.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I HATE MUD! I can handle the cold, wind, rain and snow. I can even adapt to the odd really hot and sunny day. But, I HATE MUD...in any conditions...

I go out of my way to avoid it when I can. Consider walking, carefully, in the adjacent fields. Take care not to trample the farmer's work.
Tom, I hate mud, too..but I hate "hot" even more...jus sayin'. Hmm, ...I think I hate it more, anyway!

Last edited:

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Holy speckled hen! How did I miss that last summer?!
How did I miss it twice!
EDIT- Oops, I've missed it 5 times as I've never been on the Vasco! My mind had defaulted to the Frances!😂

Last edited:

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 168 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 270 24.2%