• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino C Clearly on the Via de la Plata

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
I walked from Seville to Guillena yesterday. I found it to be tiring, possibly due to several nights with poor sleep and a 9 hour time change. People can consider staying in a hotel in Santiponce if they want to start slower. The route by Camas was a bit confusing, but you know you just need to go north (no sun in your face, which is nice). I managed to walk 26.6 km on a 22 km route!:(

I find that writing a blog is more than enough to keep my online time full, so you might want to follow it (www.tritetales.com ) as I don't know how much I'll update this thread. Those won't be guide book reports - the time for planning and preparation is over, so I'll try to describe the experience. :cool:

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yay. Your latest camino!
Have just read and really enjoyed your blog about your last camino on the CF. I happily walked every step with you, rain and shine. Your blog vanquished my last minute jitters because it was sensible and fun and, from my comfortable armchair, was completely do-able.
When are you thinking you will reach Santiago?
Wishing you a very buen camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
C, made sure to post all the bus options as I need to jump a few sections to catch my bus in Salamanca to Ponferrada. :eek:

I look forward to following your blog and taking notes. Bien Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I begin walking from Seville, March 23, so Ill be a few days behind you. enjoy the walk,
Vaya con Dios , Pilgrim,
Cliff

made sure to post all the bus options as I need to jump a few sections to catch my bus in Salamanca to Ponferrada.
Seriously consider the bus to Santiponce to ease Day 1.

Day 2 is no piece of cake either! I will start tomorrow (Day 3) with a taxi the 17 km to the start of the park. I am exhausted and know that highway walk would not enhance my life! (However, one good night of sleep could do wonders.)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked from Seville to Guillena yesterday. I found it to be tiring, possibly due to several nights with poor sleep and a 9 hour time change. People can consider staying in a hotel in Santiponce if they want to start slower. The route by Camas was a bit confusing, but you know you just need to go north (no sun in your face, which is nice). I managed to walk 26.6 km on a 22 km route!:(

I find that writing a blog is more than enough to keep my online time full, so you might want to follow it (www.tritetales.com ) as I don't know how much I'll update this thread. Those won't be guide book reports - the time for planning and preparation is over, so I'll try to describe the experience. :cool:
I will be saving your website blog in my favorites, too, and look forward to following your journey! Buen Camino, C!

Have a great Camino C . Iwill be following you on 26th April . Stay safe ,walk well and enjoy enjoy, Paddy

I love that you're walking during Semana Santa.
Have a WONDERFUL Camino!
I've signed up to follow your blog.
I really want to walk this route again someday soon!
It will be interesting to see any changes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Day 2 is no piece of cake either! I will start tomorrow (Day 3) with a taxi the 17 km to the start of the park. I am exhausted and know that highway walk would not enhance my life! (However, one good night of sleep could do wonders.)
Let me know avout the taxi to the park as that is my plan.

What is making these days so difficult? I'm surprised.

Have a good night's sleep!

I am a little surprised too. I flew from Vancouver to Madrid in one day - 9 time zones - and then started walking the next day, without getting a good night's sleep. Temperature has been mid to high 20s and these stretches are quite exposed.
Montreal to Spain is long enough for me. I can understand why adding the BC distance would take a hit on you. He kind to yourself.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Buen Camino. We are leaving Vancouver on Friday for a "Backpacking Europe" trip but we will be following your blog as we go. Have a wonderful time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Clever decision! That road to the park is narrow and with much traffic. I did as you do, and started the day on the park entrance: A beautiful walk!

A leisurely breakfast, followed by a ride for €20, followed by a lovely walk in the park. Of the 10 people, half walked and survived fine. The weather has cooled down.

I'm having trouble uploading my blog with photos. Now in the Municipal in Castilblanco, in my own room because I have a cold. That is either the cause or an effect of my being under the weather in the last few days.

So sorry to hear about your cold. Ginger and vinegar! Do take care C. Will watch for more.
Here in Ireland we recommend , Measure of Whiskey , spoon of sugar ,2 cloves and some boiling water, helps with curing the cold and giving you a nice sleep

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hope that you are enjoying the albergue parochial, great place to rest in Monasterio.

I just want to mention something about the highway walk of 16 km till the entrance of the park - for those who have yet to do the Plata. Some may think I'm nuts but I have done it three times (July 2011, February 2014 and June 2016) and I really don't think it's bad. In fact no one that was walking at the time skipped it. It just makes the rest of the walk through the park seem that much nicer. But then again walking for me is meditative, wherever it leads me.

Buen Camino @C clearly

I just want to mention something about the highway walk of 16 km till the entrance of the park - for those who have yet to do the Plata. Some may think I'm nuts but I have done it three times (July 2011, February 2014 and June 2016) and I really don't think it's bad. In fact no one that was walking at the time skipped it. It just makes the rest of the walk through the park seem that much nicer. But then again walking for me is meditative, wherever it leads me.

Buen Camino @C clearly
Those who walked it that day agreed that it wasn't so bad. I just knew that I wasnt ready for that long a walk, that day.

For me the worst on that long day was getting over the arroyos in the park on steppingstones with flowing water around you up to nearly up to your feet.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last edited:

A few days behind started wed. Sun thurs frost fri rain sat rain but good. Arrows everywhere so impossible. Walkedthrough Camus. On almaden de la plata section all 10 of our group walked 29km. On first day the section after Santiponce now has a new bridge over stream. But be careful now boy racers have 10km of straught of track for fun. Half our group waljed the 34lm to monesterio. Our group 2 french 4 germans 2 spainish 1 irish and unknown.
More rain tomorrow fuente de cantos for some of us buen camino al

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hope that you are enjoying the albergue parochial, great place to rest in Monasterio.

Buen Camino @C clearly
I walked it on Friday and to me it was a really nice walk. The amount of traffic is not bad at all.

A few days behind started wed. Sun thurs frost fri rain sat rain but good. Arrows everywhere so impossible. Walkedthrough Camus. On almaden de la plata section all 10 of our group walked 29km. On first day the section after Santiponce now has a new bridge over stream. But be careful now boy racers have 10km of straught of track for fun. Half our group waljed the 34lm to monesterio. Our group 2 french 4 germans 2 spainish 1 irish and unknown.
More rain tomorrow fuente de cantos for some of us buen camino al
Don't tell me I am the unknown one! Today I walked through the rain from Almaden to Monesterio. On this way I had a nice Menu in El Real de la Jara with two French guys who did not walk further. These were the only pilgrims I met, so for me no one else was on the Camino today. Ehh, i sometimes saw some recent footprints/shoeprints.
Buen Camino to everyone!

It's very confusing and then I got lost in Guillena until a great local guy stopped, asked me where I was going then drove me to the municipal albergue.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For me the worst on that long day was getting over the arroyos in the park on steppingstones with flowing water around you up to nearly up to your feet.

Just to give everyone a laugh - I didn't know that these were stepping stones till a few days later:rolleyes:! I just walked through without taking off my shoes, something I continued to do when later on along the Plata there were overflowing arroyos and no stones.

SYates does mention a place some 9 km after leaving Monesterio. I walked there today and found it very easy to handle. You have to open a gate at that point--and close it again after going through it. Repeat that act at two other places and that's it. The only place I used my trekking poles (don't like the things) was later on when passing a ford on the stepping stones at the right side.
For those people who are afraid of dogs etc--cows can be just as dangerous, or even more so! You might meet them on your way and be sure to NEVER walk between a cow and her calf! They might get furious and can outrun you. To be trampled to death is no fun--and it happens every year.
As for dogs, usually the advice is not to look them straight in the eyes. But they certainly should notice you have seen them, so look at their ears or something but do not leave them out of your eyesight. And let them know it! Dogs are keen observers.
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
On first day the section after Santiponce now has a new bridge over stream.
What time frame are you referring to with "new bridge"? I saw something that might HAVE BEEN a new bridge. Zoom in on this photo from last week and see some posts that are the only sign of a bridge.

Attachments

• 2017-03-26 19.41.44.png
    2017-03-26 19.41.44.png
    755.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For those people who are afraid of dogs etc--cows can be just as dangerous, or even more so! You might meet them on your way and be sure to NEVER walk between a cow and her calf! They might get furious and can outrun you. To be trampled to death is no fun--and it happens every year.
Gee, thanks for the words of encouragement!

I've had to navigate through cows a couple of times. I do it with some trepidation but without extreme fear. I avoid walking near any calves and they all just stare as I pass by. All the dogs I've passed have been docile, chained, or too busy working to bother with me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm in El real de la Jara. To monesterio tomorrow.
So am I. I don't think we've met tho. I am traveling with my grand daughter. We are at Hostal Encinta all by ourselves I think. i think we are going to stay at the muni in Monesterio tomorrow.

Here is a tip for those who fear dogs and carry walking sticks: place them crossed behind your back when passing a loose, barking dog who approaches a bit too close. I am not afraid of dogs but I can't be sure what they will do when they are behind me.

The mean ones are most likely chained, the docile ones roam around but every now and again (maybe twice in all my Caminos) that extra protection is nice.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
SYates does mention a place some 9 km after leaving Monesterio. I walked there today and found it very easy to handle. You have to open a gate at that point--and close it again after going through it. Repeat that act at two other places and that's it.!
Take care there. I spent 2 hours walking wrong there....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back