• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cabin or Checked Baggage Ryan Air

hcorbett

How strict is Ryan Air on cabin baggage? We have a 30L and a 32L pack. If we check them, can we combine them into one bag? - Anyone had any experience.
Thanks for your help.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have no experience of flying Ryanair, but would imagine they want to make as much money out of you as possible. I have much experience of international travel and local airlines in other countries, and if you have two bags, then they are two bags and cannot be lumped together as baggage for one person. However, if together they weight less than 15kg, put them into one ultra cheap canvas zip up bag (the colourful striped variety), and then it will be one bag. On the other hand, if each is less than the permitted sizes and weights for cabin baggage, then why not take them on board with you. I have a 38l Berghous Airlitebackpack which is within the size limits. Check Ryanair web for their size and weight limits. I will be flying Ryanair to Biarritz on 8 Sept. Camino-David

Ryanair are sticklers for their rules and will charge if you step outside them. I read the below as if your checked baggage is a single item less than 15 kg and 81x119x119cm there are no extra charge other than that you have paid for one piece of checked baggage, but do not take my word for it.

"Checked Baggage is any item accepted for carriage in the aircraft hold, including bags, infant equipment (baby seats/booster seats/travel cot), musical instruments and sports, equipment etc. (mobility equipment and children's' pushchairs are carried free of charge and do not need to be prebooked). For health and safety reasons Ryanair does not accept for carriage any individual item exceeding 32 kilos or with combined dimensions of more than 81cms (height), 119cms (width) and 119cms (depth). This weight limit does not apply to mobility equipment.

Each passenger is permitted to check- in up to a maximum of 2 bags with a maximum weight of 15 kilos per bag (subject to the payment of the applicable checked baggage fees). Checked baggage can be purchased online at the time of booking or via the 'Manage My Booking' section of our website. Checked bags can also be purchased via a call centre up to 4 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure (subject to call centre opening hours) or up to 40 minutes prior to the scheduled flight departure time at the airport.

Checked baggage fees are charged per person/per one way flight. Discounted fees are available online.

No pooling or sharing of baggage allowances is permitted, even within a party travelling on the same reservation. Each checked bag is permitted a maximum 15kgs allowance. In the event that you are travelling with 2 checked bags please be aware that no pooling of individual checked bag allowance is permitted (each bag is permitted a maximum weight of 15 kilos). Any passenger exceeding their 15kg personal checked baggage allowance (per checked bag purchased) will be charged for the excess weight at the applicable rate per kilo.

At airports with self-service kiosks, you must have paid any checked baggage fees and/or excess baggage charges and deposited your checked baggage at the bag drop desk no later than 40 minutes before scheduled departure time.

CABIN BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE
Each passenger (excluding infants) is permitted to carry one piece of cabin baggage on board (free of charge). Strictly one item of cabin baggage is permitted per passenger (excluding infants). Your handbag, briefcase, laptops, shop purchases, camera etc must be carried within your permitted 1 piece of cabin baggage. It should weigh no more than 10kg and not exceed the maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. Due to security restrictions - certain items cannot be carried in cabin baggage - click here for details. For the safety and convenience of all passengers, cabin baggage must fit underneath the seat or in the overhead compartment. We reserve the right to cancel your reservation without refund and to deny you boarding if you arrive at the boarding gate with more than one item of cabin baggage or if that item exceeds the maximum dimensions.
EU/EEA cabin baggage security restrictions require that passenger cabin baggage containing any liquids, gels, pastes, lotions or liquid cosmetics MUST be presented at the airport passenger security point in a transparent re-sealable bag of no more than one litre capacity (e.g. 20cm x 20cm ziplock freezer bag). Only gels, pastes, lotions and liquid cosmetics in containers of 100mls or less will be permitted through the passenger security screening points at all EU/EEA Airports, please note there is a limit of one transparent resealable plastic bag per person."

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The old rule still applies. When traveling, bring half as much luggage and twice as much money. As hassle these airline fees are as baggage charges, they only make the already substantial pain of air travel worse. However, they are not likely disappearing, as it is harder for airlines to make a living these days. :roll: :D

I brought my Northface patrol 34l on as cabin baggage with ryanair no problem. Now it was fairly full but i could still easily fit it into the blue sizing frame no problem. They rarely weigh cabin bags and only if the girl at the check in desk notices that it looks heavy (you can avoid this and save yourself some time by checking in on-line and printing your own boarding pass)

Now if you bring walking poles i noticed people putting these in there back packs and bringing them on as cabin bags, this wasn't a problem flying out of Dublin but i noticed the security at Biarritz would not allow the walking sticks on the plane and forced pilgrims to check the sticks in as luggage at approx €40

IMO you can avoid this hassle by buying a relatively cheap and sturdy wooden stick anywhere along the camino, and these can often be found for free as pilgrims often leave them in albergues if they are returning home

just remembered if you really wanna check your bag I know for a fact that the samsonite store in kildare village (there's also a north face outlet store and tog 24 outlet store) has one of ryanair's blue metal bag sizers, obviously no good for you if your not near this but i'm sure most good bag shops or luggage shops near you would be able to advise you if you brought your bag (fully packed) into them

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've seen people wrap multiple surf boards together and call it one item.

I'm not sure what you mean by combine but if you can fit the two into a garbage bag or other large bag then it's one item. They don't count every item in each case.

But make sure you are within the size/weight limits.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.