• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cabin personnel Ryan Air in Spain is going on strike for 10 days in September.

Peter Fransiscus

Be a Rainbow in someone else's cloud.
Time of past OR future Camino
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
On 1, 2, 6, 8, 13, 15, 20, 22, 27 and 28 September cabin crew from Ryanair Spain will put down work for a total of 10 days during a strike.
This will depends of how well the talks will go.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm flying out of Dublin to Biarritz on the 28th September so hopefully unaffected 🤔

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Two years ago..... RyanAir cancelled my Dublin to Biarritz flight.... just 10 days out.

Hours on the phone and... they “re”booked me into Paris.
It turns out their Paris is actually 75Km away from the real Paris.

I had to spent several hours (on the internet) to secure a flight to Barcelona with Vueling – and train to Pamplona

Getting money back from RyanAir is NOT easy.
They always say..... “just call this number”
It is ALWAYS busy, L O N G Wait times.

My solution was.... make a major scene at the Barcelona RyanAir window

Money back..... but..... nothing for the P A I N

If RyanAir were flying direct to Santiago in the Middle Ages, most peregrinos would still have walked.

I flew RyanAir once and once only. I’m certain that the cabin crew have many excellent reasons to take industrial action and I wish them well.

To those travellers affected, I am sorry for your disruption also.

Those not of a sensitive disposition might watch ‘Cheap Flights’ by Fascinating Aida. Google it!

Safe(ish) for work.

Two years ago..... RyanAir cancelled my Dublin to Biarritz flight.... just 10 days out.

I had to spent several hours (on the internet) to secure a flight to Barcelona with Vueling – and train to Pamplona

My solution was.... make a major seen at the Barcelona RyanAir window

Getting money back from companies like Ryanair is like trying to stuff butter into the a..hole of a wildcat with a knitting pin using your bare hands: Painful and very difficult...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My ticket cost £30 Dublin to Biarritz, 11am Saturday flight...I've never paid anymore than £50 anywhere in Europe. You get what you pay for and if they cancel so be it but have never had a problem in 20 year's and concede I'm one of the lucky one's or maybe it's that I don't care and if I have to pay last minute I'll take the hit, in fullness of time thing's have habit of evening things out. 130 million passengers flew with them last year so must be doing something right although unfortunately same can't be said for companies treatment of their work-force 🤠

Last edited:
Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Getting money back from companies like Ryanair is like trying to stuff butter into the a..hole of a wildcat with a knitting pin using your bare hands: Painful and very difficult...
My husband and I are at the airport LOL at this (and getting some curious looks from people nearby)! Best description I've seen in ages!

Not at all. I'd expected it to be like this but it wasn't. My return Ryanair flight from Santiago this July was cancelled, causing a delay of 5 hours. On getting home I put in an EU compensation claim (via Resolver.co.uk) and three days later it was approved. Two weeks later £231 was in my bank account. It was very efficient. I wish more of my flights would be delayed... that paid for my last week on the camino! We sat in the airport, chatted with pilgrims and ate and drank at Ryanair's expense :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not at all. I'd expected it to be like this but it wasn't. My return Ryanair flight from Santiago this July was cancelled, causing a delay of 5 hours. On getting home I put in an EU compensation claim (via Resolver.co.uk) and three days later it was approved. Two weeks later £231 was in my bank account. It was very efficient. I wish more of my flights would be delayed... that paid for my last week on the camino! We sat in the airport, chatted with pilgrims and ate and drank at Ryanair's expense :)
Good for you :)

Yes, using those complaint companies may put on some serious pressure.

Good for you :)

Yes, using those complaint companies may put on some serious pressure.
I have to say that my pilgrim friends who went direct also had the same swift success. I think Ryanair have improved their customer service in this area greatly recently. That's the only explanation I have!

I'm flying out of Dublin to Biarritz on the 28th September so hopefully unaffected 🤔
Me and four others on the same flight. What’s your recommended plan B?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Me and four others on the same flight. What’s your recommended plan B?
See Plan A, I don't have contingency. If you plan for one then becomes self fulfilling prophecy. I believe dates I'm travelling will be unaffected by strike unless I see evidence to the contrary I'll be going with the flow which is often my Plan B 🤠

See Plan A, I don't have contingency. If you plan for one then becomes self fulfilling prophecy. I believe dates I'm travelling will be unaffected by strike unless I see evidence to the contrary I'll be going with the flow which is often my Plan B 🤠
I like your plan B. See you at plan A or we will be the crowd following you in plan B.😎

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

My solution was.... make a major scene at the Barcelona RyanAir window

This is why that guy years ago started the website ryanairisevil.com

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am booked out of Santiago to London on September 13. Should I be looking at Plan B, which would be an alternate airline which goes through Dublin?

Directly-employed Ryanair pilots in Ireland will strike for 48 hours on August 22-23 in a long-running dispute over pay and working conditions.
In addition, pilots employed by Ryanair in the UK who are members of the British Airline Pilots’ Association (BALPA) have voted for strike action on 22 and 23 August and three more on 2, 3 and 4 September.

Source:

I am booked out of Santiago to London on September 13. Should I be looking at Plan B, which would be an alternate airline which goes through Dublin?

Unions representing Ryanair cabin crew in Spain have announced plans to hold 10 days of strikes in September unless the airline changes its plans to close several bases in the country.
The strikes are planned for 1-2 September, as well as the 6th, 8th, 13th, 15th, 20th, 22nd, 27th and 28th.

Source

This is not a guarantee but if the flight from Santiago is manned by UK crew then it may not be effected. Here's an interesting article worth reading but disclaimer, no one knows as could be resolved or injunction by court could prevent strikes. We only have hope, wing and a prayer 🙏

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Flying Madrid to Porto September 6, plan D is a bus but am working on a plan C(other airline) with plan B hoping the strike is cancelled.

Peter, you are so faithful about keeping an eye out for this kind of trouble. I just hope that somehow it will be resolved.

I only fly into and out of Spain. Domestic travels are always done by bus or train. I take it slow and enjoy the ride and landscape.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Another reason to believe 🙏
Ryanair has brought in pilots from other bases to cover for striking flight crew.
In contrast, other carriers have cancelled a wide range of flights.

I know it's easy for me to say, but people don't strike because they are happy in their workplace.
Those super cheap flights have a human cost. So I am sparing a moment to wish the strikers well.
[Deleted opinions...;)]
We who have the leisure and means to travel are incredibly fortunate. And I hope everyone who has a Ryan Air ticket to get to Spain on those days manages to actually get there, with plan C, D, or E if necessary.

New strike is announced ,
Spanish pilots from Ryan Air are on strike
on the following day's,
September 19 , 20 , 22 , 27 and 29th.

Safe travels.

€60,-

€46,-
Ryanair pilots in the UK are to strike for a further seven days in September, the union has announced.

between 18 and 29 September,

Pilots will walk out from 18-19 September for 48 hours.

More strike action is planned on 21, 23, 25, 27 and 29 September. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...september-2019-flights-affected-a4229461.html

The union admitted that the strikes to date, including a two-day stoppage in late August, had a “limited impact” on the travelling public

The airline described the strikes as “pointless and failed”. It said it had operated all 820 flights on Tuesday without cancellation as well as the first wave of flights on Wednesday morning, the last day of the current walkout.

strikes [on] 22, 23 August and 2, 3, 4 September all Ryanair flights to and from UK airports operated as scheduled – with zero cancellations – thanks to the efforts of over 95% of our UK pilots who flew as rostered and did not support strike's

Last edited:
Forsa the union representing Ryanair pilots back in August informed its members, who are directly-employed Ryanair pilots based in the Republic of Ireland, that the strikes would not and did not take place.

Does anyone have any updates on plans regarding September strike's operating out of Dublin with Ryanair?

I'm due to fly Stansted to Toulouse on Sept 19th and wondering whether to go a couple of days earlier so as not to be affected at all. Flight on Sept 17th is £5.99!

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back