• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cades, oh Cades...

amancio

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Arag, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno, LePuy
Less than two months to go!

I did not want to do this camino on my own, so I commented it among some friends and now we are a group of 9, all friends from childhood and for a long time, so it will be just a different approach to what I am used to.

I am having headaches with the first (recently rerouted) stage from San Vicente to Cades or Lafuente.

Basically, we have three choices

1) SVDLB to Lafuente, old route, 27 km, more tarmac, we would not get to see the apparently gorgeous route of river Nansa, but we would have an albergue at the end of the road
2) SVDLB to Lafuente, new route, 35 km, would have albergue, but that is a very long distance for a first stage, I am afraid
3) SVDLB to Cades, along the new route, likewise 27 km, but there is no reasonable accomodation. A rural house in Bielva would not accomodate us for just one night. La Casona del Nansa costs 48 EUR with dinner, which really goes above our planned budget.

I would love to do able to go for #3 above, but I cannot find accommodation in Cades or nearby. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks for any help, compañeros!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, Amancio,

I did not want to do this camino on my own, so I commented it among some friends and now we are a group of 9, all friends from childhood and for a long time, so it will be just a different approach to what I am used to.

I am having headaches with the first (recently rerouted) stage from San Vicente to Cades or Lafuente.

1) SVDLB to Lafuente, old route, 27 km, more tarmac, we would not get to see the apparently gorgeous route of river Nansa, but we would have an albergue at the end of the road
2) SVDLB to Lafuente, new route, 35 km, would have albergue, but that is a very long distance for a first stage, I am afraid
3) SVDLB to Cades, along the new route, likewise 27 km, but there is no reasonable accomodation. A rural house in Bielva would not accomodate us for just one night. La Casona del Nansa costs 48 EUR with dinner, which really goes above our planned budget.

I would love to do able to go for #3 above, but I cannot find accommodation in Cades or nearby. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Hi, Amancio,
I had only one option when I walked, and that was option number one. The hotel rural mspath linked to is a beautiful looking building and they may have pilgrim prices. If you search for posts from @econodan , I believe he stayed there.

When I was in Cades, I found the ayuntamiento was extremely helpful, why don't you give them a call?

How about starting in Serdio rather than SVDLB?

Buen camino, can't wait to hear about the new alternative! Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great, mspath, thanks a lot, I will try with them to see if I am any luckier, muchas gracias!

Hi, Amancio,

Hi, Amancio,
I had only one option when I walked, and that was option number one. The hotel rural mspath linked to is a beautiful looking building and they may have pilgrim prices. If you search for posts from @econodan , I believe he stayed there.

When I was in Cades, I found the ayuntamiento was extremely helpful, why don't you give them a call?

How about starting in Serdio rather than SVDLB?

Buen camino, can't wait to hear about the new alternative! Laurie

Gracias, Laurie!

I will ring the ayuntamiento in Cades, so, and see if we can make it to Cades via the Nansa river path, it seems to be worth it, but the problem is whoever diverted the camino did not think about providing reasonable accommodation... This casa rural looks FABULOUS, indeed, I just wrote to them.

As to Serdio, I did think about that, but we are arriving in San Vicente late evening, and the Serdio albergue is quite small, most likely it will be taken by Camino del Norte pilgrims, and we do not want to walk at night.

In fact, we found an appartment for 5 at 80 euro in SVDLB, right on the beach, good alternative to the albergue! Surfing San Vicente, the apartments are called. Good value, we do not want to stay the first night in an albergue, chances are it will be a long night, since we live in different cities and countries and will be so excited to meet all together again that we will have to have a couple of beers to celebrate the ocassion!

I hope we can finally make it by the river and will let you know how we felt and how we found the route.

Gracias, Laurie!

I will ring the ayuntamiento in Cades, so, and see if we can make it to Cades via the Nansa river path, it seems to be worth it, but the problem is whoever diverted the camino did not think about providing reasonable accommodation... This casa rural looks FABULOUS, indeed, I just wrote to them.

As to Serdio, I did think about that, but we are arriving in San Vicente late evening, and the Serdio albergue is quite small, most likely it will be taken by Camino del Norte pilgrims, and we do not want to walk at night.

In fact, we found an appartment for 5 at 80 euro in SVDLB, right on the beach, good alternative to the albergue! Surfing San Vicente, the apartments are called. Good value, we do not want to stay the first night in an albergue, chances are it will be a long night, since we live in different cities and countries and will be so excited to meet all together again that we will have to have a couple of beers to celebrate the ocassion!

I hope we can finally make it by the river and will let you know how we felt and how we found the route.

I think I was confusing the Casona with Halcon Peregrino, I am pretty sure the place you pass walking into Cades is the Casona, with its 48 euro price. Did you ask them about pilgrim prices?

Halcon de Peregrino seems to be a few kms off the route, at least based on the map I saw on their website:

http://www.elhalconperegrino.com/es/hotel-santander-el-soplao But maybe they will pick you up.

Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola Laurie,

indeed la Casona offered me those prices, I told them we were pilgrims, although in such a large group I have my own doubts about it, I must admit.

Bottom line is, we might just have to skip the Nansa river, but I do not easily give up...

Hola Laurie,

indeed la Casona offered me those prices, I told them we were pilgrims, although in such a large group I have my own doubts about it, I must admit.

Bottom line is, we might just have to skip the Nansa river, but I do not easily give up...

Google maps says Halcon del Peregrino is 4.5 km from Cades, not sure if that's a deal breaker for you or not. Buen camino, Laurie

gosh, that does not look so great, but that must be by car, naked eye it seems a lot closer, hopefully there is some shortcut (that is, if they offer a reasonable quote for us).

In any case, thanks again, I am sure providence will provide!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Sleep outside. You wouldn't be the first pilgrim, nor the last.

Sleep outside. You wouldn't be the first pilgrim, nor the last.

We are used to sleeping rough in the Sierra Nevada, but having a hot meal and a shower and a toilette is nice at certain ages ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back