• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cadiz to Santiago to Finisterre or Cadiz to Gijon

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
I am thinking of walking along the Via de la Plata this April and May, starting in Cadiz and walking 6 days to Seville to continue north along the Via de la Plata.

One option is to continue to Santiago and then Finisterre via Ourense - this is the route many have taken in the past. I am guessing it will take me 6-7 weeks to complete this route.

The second option is to continue north to Astorga and then on to Gijon via Leon to the Atlantic coast.

Has anybody walked this second way?

Neville

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi there, Jirit. In the past couple of years I have walked most of the trails which you are considering:
Option One,In 2009, Oct-Dec I walked from Cadiz via Seville and the Via Sanabres to Santiago DC (59 days). Then in July 2010 I hiked the alternate route from Zamora via Braganza to Ourense following the Via de la Plata Portuguese, with tent. SDC to Finisterre (2004)
Option Two. In March 2010 I walked the VDP in reverse from Astorga to Fuenterroble de Salvatierre(10 days), in 2004 Astorga to Leon whilst hiking the CF, and in 2011 Leon to Oviedo following the Camino San Salvadore.

Although I have not walked from Oviedo to Gijon or beyond along the coast, in 2011 I was able to purchase a guide for this route at the Albergue de Peregrinos in Oviedo (€5).

Is there anything in particular you wish to ask?
Cheers, Lovingkindness

Hello Lovingkindness

I have visions of walking Med coast to Atlantic coast along the Via de la Plata from Cadiz to Gijon.

I knew the route is doable from Cadiz north to Seville to Astorga to Leon and then Oviedo via Camino San Salvadore but I was unsure about the last section to Gijon itself

Looking at some maps I thought there might be a trail system other than walking the road to Gijon

Regards

Neville

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Neville,

This is a very roundabout way of getting from Oviedo to Gijon............the first stage of the Camino Primitivo is from Villaviciosa to Oviedo, about 37 km. It is described in the CSJ booklet “Los Caminos del Norte – F: Camino Primitivo” You could walk this stage in reverse - finishing in Villaviciosa, then pick up the Camino del Norte from Villaviciosa to Gijon (see CSJ guide "Ruta de la Costa - Villaviciosa - Arzua") Like I said, this is a very indirect route walking two sides of a triangle (about 70km) instead of the direct route from Oviedo to Gijon of about 30 km

Oviedo is a lovely city
Donovan

Donovan said:
Neville,

This is a very roundabout way of getting from Oviedo to Gijon............the first stage of the Camino Primitivo is from Villaviciosa to Oviedo, about 37 km. It is described in the CSJ booklet “Los Caminos del Norte – F: Camino Primitivo” You could walk this stage in reverse - finishing in Villaviciosa, then pick up the Camino del Norte from Villaviciosa to Gijon (see CSJ guide "Ruta de la Costa - Villaviciosa - Arzua") Like I said, this is a very indirect route walking two sides of a triangle (about 70km) instead of the direct route from Oviedo to Gijon of about 30 km

Oviedo is a lovely city
Donovan

Hello Donovan

I was coming to the same conclusion that this is what should do. Granted as you suggested it is longer but it seems more accessible than simply walking the road (which seems the only direct route there).

Thanks

Neville

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
micbook said:
Hi..... Is the walk from Cadiz worthwhile and well-marked? Can you get a credential in Cadiz?....

Hi there, micbook.
How does one define worthwhile? I love a challenge. I don't mind scouting arround when things get perplexing. I love solitude and I certainly had that....

Well marked? Recent posts on the Forum indicate that signing from Cadiz to Seville is much improved. Also, there are now alternative guide books to the one I used. I walked in October, 2009 and had a few hairy moments. here's a link to my Cadiz-Seville experience:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/camino-mozarabe-and-via-de-la-plata/topic7203.html

Can you get a credential in Cadiz? I don't know. I aquired mine from the Amigos in Seville. I asked for two credencials and cellotaped them together. One credencial is insufficient.
Cheers, Lovingkindness

Attachments

• flecha amarilla.jpg
    flecha amarilla.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,457
Hi jirit,

I'm wondering how long it ended up taking and if there's anything else you feel will be handy to know for someone planning to start in about 2 weeks. I was initially going to have 2+ months but plans changed and now I have 6 weeks for Seville-Santiago. Is this reasonable including rest days? I'd like to walk an average of 25km/day to smell the roses :) Any thoughts?

Lovingkindness, thanks for sharing-- yes, I don't mind the challenges and solitude is always appreciated. Given the changes in my schedule, I'll have to skip Cadiz this time around... :/

Many thanks!
Michal

--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

Hi, Michal,

I think 42 days gives you a reasonable schedule with rose-smelling opportunities abounding. I posted my stages a while ago, camino-mozarabe-and-via-de-la-plata/topic8961.html and it would have been easy to speed things up a bit if I had had to. I really enjoyed taking my time, but I did find that I "lost" a fair number of camino buddies that way, because it seemed to me that many of the Vdlp walkers maintained a fairly vigorous walking pace, with average distances in the mid 30s.

Hope you have a wonderful camino! Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Laurie,

Thanks so much! I started getting disappointed...going from feeling like I have all the time in the world to feeling like I won't even have time to complete (I even started considering walking from Lisbon instead but felt apprehensive about it given many of the recent comments in the forum)...so, this is very encouraging :)

All I know is that I really look forward to be walking again :)

Many thanks!
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

Instead of walking the Via de la Plata last year, I walked the Le Puy to Lourdes. However I am back again reconsidering the Via de la Plata route again.

Last year I considered either walking from Cadiz to Finisterre via Santiago and Muxia or Cadiz to Gijon.
If I go this year, I am thinking of either April/May or May/June as the timeframe

Here is what I know about both options:
Cadiz to Finisterre:
Via Augusta (Cadiz to Sevilla) 7 days
Via de la Plata (Sevilla to Zamora) 24-26 days
Via Sambres (Zamora to Santiago) 15-16 days
Via Finisterra (Santiago to Finisterre via Muxia) 4 days
Total 50 - 53 days

Cadiz to Gijon
Via Augusta (Cadiz to Sevilla) 7 days
Via de la Plata (Sevilla to Astorga) 29-31 days
Camino Frances (Astorga to Leon east) 2 days
Camino San Salvador (Leon to Oviedo) 5 days
Camino Norte/Primitivo) (Oviedo to Villaviciosa east) 2 days
Camino Norte/Coastal route (Villaviciosa to Gijon west) 1 day
Total 46-48 days

Any thoughts about which route I should take given the terrain, distances, and weather at that time of year? Do the number of stages make sense?

Alternatively I am also thinking of doing the Camino Norte but my expectation that in April/May I might run into plenty of rain

Well it is done deal!

My wife and I have booked flights arriving into Madrid Spain at the beginning of April. From Madrid my wife and I will train to Seville and spend a few days sightseeing before heading off on our walk. We are in no rush to reach Santiago and more than likely we will reach it late May and then some extra time to walk out to Finisterre via Muxia.

I am just re-reviewing some of the accounts of some of those that have walked this route. Originally I planned to walk from Cardiz to Seville first and then on to Santiago and finally Finisterre. However I am still undecided about the Cardiz to Seville section. I reread lovingkindness and dave54 accounts of this section and I still remain undecided. Other than Cardiz and a few interesting spots in between there and Seville, the route seems a tough lonely slug with long sections, and a fair bit of urban/road walking - something I rather not do.

Instead I am keen to photograph the rural spanish countryside in the Spring and I sense I will be rewarded beyond and north of Seville but not so much from Cardiz to Seville. I really enjoyed my second walk of the Camino Frances route back in May/June 2011 and I expected that the Via de la Plata will offer a similar opportunity. Furthermore I really enjoy reaching some place at the end of the day and swapping stories with a few fellow pilgrims over dinner.

Again looking for some advice, and/or feedback

Many thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, jirit,

I don't know if this would fit into your plans, but have you considered the way from Granada, through Cordoba and then joining the Vdlp in Merica (or is it Caceres -- I can't remember, but there are posts here under Camino Mozarabe). There are several excellent reports here, and I would really love to do it someday.

Buen camino, Laurie

peregrina2000 said:
Hi, jirit,

I don't know if this would fit into your plans, but have you considered the way from Granada, through Cordoba and then joining the Vdlp in Merica (or is it Caceres -- I can't remember, but there are posts here under Camino Mozarabe). There are several excellent reports here, and I would really love to do it someday.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie

Thanks but I rather not miss the first stages of the Via de la Plata, which I think the route from Granada does.

Yes, you're right, it joins up with the Vdlp in Merida, which is more than a week out of Sevilla. Well, you could always bus back to Sevilla from Merida and start again. :)

Have you seen this blog? It's one of the few I have seen of the route from Cadiz:

http://www.walkforwilliam2010.blogspot.com/?m=1

I know the Friends of the Camino Association in Cadiz is very active, their website is here:

http://www.asociaciongaditanajacobea.org/index.htm (they frequently announce on the Spanish forum that they're having an "arrow painting party" on parts of the route before Sevilla, so I assume the way is well marked).

Buen camino! Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Jirit - Re: "My wife and I have booked flights arriving into Madrid Spain at the beginning of April. From Madrid my wife and I will train to Seville and spend a few days sightseeing before heading off on our walk. We are in no rush to reach Santiago and more than likely we will reach it late May and then some extra time to walk out to Finisterre via Muxia."

I was pleased to see we have similar plans. I'm flying into Seville on April 3 and expect to set out on the VDLP on either the 5th or 6th. My plane ticket back to the US out of Madrid is on June 7, so I'm hoping I can make it up to Santaigo and then on to Muxia in that time. And I can't wait to photograph the countryside as Spring works its way north from Seville.

I hope we cross paths.
Buen Camino

peregrina2000 said:
Yes, you're right, it joins up with the Vdlp in Merida, which is more than a week out of Sevilla. Well, you could always bus back to Sevilla from Merida and start again. :)

Have you seen this blog? It's one of the few I have seen of the route from Cadiz:

http://www.walkforwilliam2010.blogspot.com/?m=1

I know the Friends of the Camino Association in Cadiz is very active, their website is here:

http://www.asociaciongaditanajacobea.org/index.htm (they frequently announce on the Spanish forum that they're having an "arrow painting party" on parts of the route before Sevilla, so I assume the way is well marked).

Buen camino! Laurie

Thanks Laurie for this link! I had not seen it before. Sounds like a very exciting adventure they had - not sure if I have the time to get organize for this but you never know.

In fact the more I think about, I may take a page out of wife's playbook and walk a bit more slowly this time. Last time I did the Camino Frances route, I covered nearly 900 km in 34 days but given the photographic opportunities on the Via de la Plata I may slow down and take time to smell the flowers (as my wife likes to say). This said I have not built too much time into my walk for extra down days and I would love to spend an extra day in places like Merida, Zamora and Salamanca for example.

Well, I don't know if your photography interests are mostly nature-based, but if you are thinking about slowing down and you like old churches, there are two that are close to the Vdlp that would be a nice diversion. The first one is Santa Lucia de Trampal (visigothic), about 4 kms outside of Alcuescar. There's a marked path from the front door of the city hall and it takes you through really pretty countryside. Mostly on the side of the road, but it's a road that had one car go by on my walk out there a few years ago. Its location is quite pastoral.

And though Zamora has 25 or more romanesque churches in town, San Pedro de la Nave, about 24 kms out of town, is another visigothic church (8th cent. maybe?) with some pretty amazing capitals and other architectural features. I got a ride out and then walked back -- it's on a variant of the Vdlp that leaves from Zamora and heads up through Portugal (Braganca specifically), so there's a marked path.

I know I've gone on about these churches before, but they are so incredible!

IMO, rest days in all of the cities you mention are well worth it -- not for resting, actually, but for walking around to see all the amazing things to see.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
peregrina2000 said:
Well, I don't know if your photography interests are mostly nature-based, but if you are thinking about slowing down and you like old churches, there are two that are close to the Vdlp that would be a nice diversion. The first one is Santa Lucia de Trampal (visigothic), about 4 kms outside of Alcuescar. There's a marked path from the front door of the city hall and it takes you through really pretty countryside. Mostly on the side of the road, but it's a road that had one car go by on my walk out there a few years ago. Its location is quite pastoral.

And though Zamora has 25 or more romanesque churches in town, San Pedro de la Nave, about 24 kms out of town, is another visigothic church (8th cent. maybe?) with some pretty amazing capitals and other architectural features. I got a ride out and then walked back -- it's on a variant of the Vdlp that leaves from Zamora and heads up through Portugal (Braganca specifically), so there's a marked path.

I know I've gone on about these churches before, but they are so incredible!

IMO, rest days in all of the cities you mention are well worth it -- not for resting, actually, but for walking around to see all the amazing things to see.

Thanks Laurie

Here are some examples of some of the photographs I like to take.
https://picasaweb.google.com/113275942061875339803

The Cadiz to Seville section is flat and uninteresting as you say but a number of days can be taken out of lovingkindness'es schedule by catching the ferry to Puerto Santa Maria.

Cadiz, Puerto Santa Maria and Jerez are all towns worth seeing but the last section into Seville is not really suitable for walkers or cyclists though possible. Why not start in Cadiz and get a ferry to PSM and walk the short distance to Jerez then catch the train to Seville.

We cycled it in reverse and would not bother doing it again but as we have a place not far from Cadiz we know the area near the coast pretty well.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After 16 days of walking (plus another three days to explore Salamanca and Zamora) I've finished my walk on the Vía de la Plata and am now continuing on the Camino Sanabres. If anyone's...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back