• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cadiz to Sevilla & onwards North -VDLP

polsmith63

Paul The Dub
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013/4, Del Norte 2013/4 & 2016, Ingles 2013 & 2017, Primitivo 2016 & 2017,
VDLP (2018)
Greetings pilgrims,

I fly to Sevilla 09 Jan 18 arriving mid morning where I hope to catch a train to Cadiz & begin my Camino the following morning northwards to Sevilla & beyond. I have almost 3 weeks & return to Sevilla for a flight home on 30 Jan 18. Basically my plan is to return at a later date pick up where I left off and continue on to Santiago de Compostelo, thereby completing the Camino in 2 stages.
I have walked several Camino in this manner as I cannot get more than 3 weeks off from my job. I have researched the average weather for that time of year and don’t think it should be a major problem barring extreme flooding etc. I am coming from Ireland where I do a lot of walking, so Southern Spain should be a little milder & not as wet as at home. I have read several blogs about the VDLP, where loneliness & isolation has been a problem for some but again I am happy enough with my own company if there are no others on the trail & would be content to meet up with whoever I can whenever I can.
I have enough information on the route once I arrive back in Sevilla but what I would like to know is the Camino from Cadiz to there.
Would anyone have the answers to any of the following questions please ?

Is there an albergue in Cadiz that will be open in January ?
What are the suggested stages ? At the start of any Camino I like to keep the distance travelled down to no more than 30Kms per day for the first 3 or 4 days.
Will there be albergues open on this route at this time of the year ?
If not are there pension or small hotels ?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to any comments or advice from anyone with experience of this particular Camino.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi,
I walked the route in ‘16, and wish I hadn’t bothered. I presume you haven’t looked at the Via Augusta section yet as most of your questions are answered there.
I found the route spent too long paralleling rail lines or motorways, there are no Albergues to speak of, its small hotels and pensions for accommodation.
Perhaps you should look at Alan’s post re the route from Gibraltar.
Regards
George.
PS, it’s also possible there has been some remarking of the route, it would be a good idea to contact the Cadiz amigos.
PPS, I mean that I wish I hadn't bothered with the Cadiz to Seville section, the VdlP is far more rewarding. However the cities of Cadiz and Jerez well worth visiting.

Last edited:
...Is there an albergue in Cadiz that will be open in January ?
What are the suggested stages ? At the start of any Camino I like to keep the distance travelled down to no more than 30Kms per day for the first 3 or 4 days.
Will there be albergues open on this route at this time of the year ?
If not are there pension or small hotels ...

Hola peregrino!

I set off from Cadiz in October, 2009 arriving in SdC just before Christmas. It was quite an adventure, one I wouldn't have missed for the world. It was 30 degrees in Cadiz when I set off and about to snow when I arrived in SdC. Before setting off I joined the Forum. Some of your question may be answered here:

Cadiz to Seville
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/cadiz-to-seville-day-one.7203/

Seville to Santiago de Compostella: Walking in Winter (scroll down a little)
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-in-winter.7253/

Cheers
Lovingkindness

.jpg
Cadiz - Seville Oct, 2009

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thx for the inspiration you all.....a good alternative for a upcoming camino.....

Thank you all for the valuable advice. My only complaint about this Forum is that there is so much advice & knowledge that it is sometimes difficult to find exactly the information that you require. But having said that it is a pretty good complaint to have.
I have since reviewed my plans because of some information gleaned from the Forum.
If I start my Camino from Sevilla with some luck and barring injury or natural disasters I could make it to Salamanca by Jan 29, catch a plane from there to Sevilla, a 1 hour flight for the exorbitant price of €28 and fly home the following day as planned on my already booked flight To Dublin.
It will of course mean missing out on Cadiz which I would really like to see but you can’t do or see everything & it’s nice to have something else to plan for in the future. Many thanks again & happy planning to all on future Camino’s. I myself find that planning a Camino can at times be almost as good as actually being on one. The sense of anticipation makes it so real.

mmmm....

Possibly go to Cadiz. See this wonderful city. Then bus or train to Seville. Then start walk??

Why come back down to Seville for flight home?

Why not bus to Santiago or other location to catch a flight home?

You will be directly east of Porto from Salamanca. Or easily head north to Santiago for flight home.

Sure you have reason for wanting to come back to Seville for flight home.
Possibly I missed that part.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Why not walk from Cadiz....?.......that port is a originated starting point.....a good one in my reckoning.

And then pick up where you left for another walk...?

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Something a little unusual on the Spanish news websites today. Two pilgrims forced to climb an oak tree to escape from a cow defending her calf. Apparently they called the Guardia Civil from their...
Hello, I am researching the Sanabrés and have discovered that since the AVE construction is complete, this section from Requejo to Padornelo has a new route available along the Requejo River. Our...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back