• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caffeine Camino

Paintboy2

Time of past OR future Camino
Maybe it's a stupid question but........how hard is it to get a cup of coffee in the morning on the CP coastal? If it's a rarity I need to start my withdrawals now.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Maybe it's a stupid question but........how hard is it to get a cup of coffee in the morning on the CP coastal? If it's a rarity I need to start my withdrawals now.
You're lucky. Coffee is the first thing in the morning. The Portuguese prefer strong expresso in small cups. Around Porto they call it "uma bica"
Everywhere in the towns and villages are bars to get your coffee.
We like cappuccino but never ask for that nor in Portugal, nor in Spain. In spite of impressive coffee machines you see, you get cold milk in your coffee or cream from an aerosol . Instead ask for café com leite in Portugal or in Spain café con leche , coffee with hot milk as an alternative.
If you want real cappuccino, go to Italy .:)
If you do like black coffee ask in Portugal for café preto and in Spain café solo or café Americano.
Decaf is called café descafinado.
In Spain at the bar are small napkins to clean your mouth after drinking your coffee and eating a churro(a kind of fried dough) . Throw this napkin on the floor after using . This is a traditional habit.:)
In Portugal order a pastel de nata with your coffee. Once you taste one, you allways want to turn back to Portugal. They are toooo delicious !

Bom caminho.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ummm... spent a month in Galicia last year living with locals, and never saw anyone throw a napkin on the floor. Not once.
Maybe you have been at the wrong place. In January past we were in several places in Spain and saw it everywhere.I used to work for several years in Spain and allways was astonished about the mess visitors of a bar left behind on the floor after consuming something.

I hadn't noticed the distinction. I didn't spend a lot of time in bars, as our hosts always had places to bring us (we got to go to Ons!). Also, I'm told that Galicia is very different from the rest of Spain, perhaps things are different there... I will certainly have to observe others doing it before I'm comfortable doing it myself, though. Seems so contrary to the other conversation I've been following about keeping the Camino clean!

My wife and I like coffee a lot so I brought a jet boil coffee press along. Didn't weigh as much as the money we saved by not having to purchase coffee all the time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We've been thinking of doing that too, as we really enjoy our coffee in the morning. Added to that that some parts that we're planning on walking are a little remote. Glad to hear it's worth carrying!

I hadn't noticed the distinction. I didn't spend a lot of time in bars, as our hosts always had places to bring us (we got to go to Ons!). Also, I'm told that Galicia is very different from the rest of Spain, perhaps things are different there... I will certainly have to observe others doing it before I'm comfortable doing it myself, though. Seems so contrary to the other conversation I've been following about keeping the Camino clean!
It has nothing to do with any camino. It happens in all kind of bars where people drink their coffee , eat a croissant or churro or drink a glass of wine. And eat a tapa.
Lots of Spaniards have their breakfast, a coffee and a croissant in a bar before they go to their work and have the habit to throw a thin kind of napkin after cleaning their mouth on the ground beneath their seat or where they are standing..No problem at all. After they are gone the barkeeper sweeps all the rubbish together and cleans the floor ,waiting for the next customers.
In Spain during workingtime many Spaniards and Portuguese too, have their lunch,a so called menu del dia, a often three course hot meal in a bar. The generallissimo Franco the former leader-no politics here- introduced this menu long time ago by saying that every worker has the right to have a decent meal for a decent price. So nowadays the menu del dia is served in allmost every bar for about 8 till 10€ per person.
These habbits are all over Spain even in Galicia and the Portuguese adapted it . Menu do dia .

About coffee. We Dutch drink a lot of coffee and as a sales representative we are used when visiting a company first thing is get a coffee , talk about odd things, finish the coffee and then come to bussiness. So not in Spain... Coffee ? No way They do not serve coffee to visitors, not even to their own staff and workers. But no problem allways in the direct environs there will be a bar and there you can buy your coffee yourself. That's why there are so many bars in Spain. Lots close after 16h00 when all workers are gone back to work. Lots of companies work till about 19h00,
During the weekend it is a different world. Most bars specially on the industrial estates (polígono industrial) are closed and the Spaniards live their family life. On the sundays lots of complete families go to restaurants together to have supper.

Why this all ? As peregrino you can have a cheap meal during midday, the menu del dia.only weekdays.
During the weekends you have the chance to find full restaurants.

The initial question in this thread " was will there be coffee" . Well it will be ,definitively.

Last edited:
Ummm... spent a month in Galicia last year living with locals, and never saw anyone throw a napkin on the floor. Not once.
Oh, they make a mess! I remember leaving one of the town on the Primitivo and walking in a bar for coffee, the place was a mess as it had not been cleaned yet from the night before. You see this also when people eat tapas.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think the number of places in Spain where this is done is decreasing, maybe as profit margins shrink and labor is more expensive. Years ago, not only did the napkins go on the floor (calling them napkins is a bit of an overstatement, they are actually little non-absorbent squares of light paper), but so did the peanut shells, shrimp tails, sunflower seed shells, etc. Same for cigarette butts, but thankfully now they are outlawed inside. I agree that it's a good idea to follow the lead of other patrons, rather than be the first one to dump your stuff on the floor. :)

I've actually given this a thought... my morning fix in the albergue before setting off. I have been considering going with a coffee plunger, condensed milk in a jar with a good top and coffee of course. Weight-wise it isn't much, but volume-wise... in a pilgrim's backpack... hmmmm... now that's something else. Will post on whether this worked out or not. Buen Camino :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm kind of a coffee fanatic - I roast my own coffee beans and prepare espresso at home for myself, pour over for my wife and French press or Aeropress when traveling in our VW camper. HOWEVER, I took none of this equipmenr on my Camino in Fall 2014. For 7 weeks in Spain and Portugal I never failed to find coffee whenever I wanted it, whether a straight espresso or cafe americano solo with hot water added to the espresso shot to make something very similar to the standard (but tastier) cup of black coffee served at home. Add cream or sugar to your hearts content- there is always plenty of both available.

I can't drink caffeine because it gives me a headache, but I enjoy a good cup of decaf. Can I get a decaf cafe con leche everywhere, or should I carry my own packets of decaf and add them to hot milk in bars?

I'm kind of a coffee fanatic - I roast my own coffee beans and prepare espresso at home for myself, pour over for my wife and French press or Aeropress when traveling in our VW camper. HOWEVER, I took none of this equipmenr on my Camino in Fall 2014. For 7 weeks in Spain and Portugal I never failed to find coffee whenever I wanted it, whether a straight espresso or cafe americano solo with hot water added to the espresso shot to make something very similar to the standard (but tastier) cup of black coffee served at home. Add cream or sugar to your hearts content- there is always plenty of both available.

billmatt, I'll be carrying my Aeropress and a small hand grinder with me on The Camino in April. Coffee here in Sydney is excellent - I'm spoiled. Will be spending a week in Madrid before The Camino and a month in Paris after. There's great coffee in Paris now, but you have to know where to find it. And it's very EXPENSIVE. Buying freshly roasted beans and using my coffee kit should save me quite a few Euros. I don't know yet about Madrid, but hoping to stock up on beans and to walking a properly caffeinated Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I can't drink caffeine because it gives me a headache, but I enjoy a good cup of decaf. Can I get a decaf cafe con leche everywhere, or should I carry my own packets of decaf and add them to hot milk in bars?
Ask for café descafinado

Can I get a decaf cafe con leche everywhere, or should I carry my own packets of decaf and add them to hot milk in bars?
I think that all decaf coffee is from powder. Most bars probably have it (I don't know that from experience, but bars are well equipped for customer service with items like tea and Colacao).

A Handpresso is a good coffee-maker too - works like a bike pump - proper espresso with crema... But you do need to have a stove or Kelly kettle to make the hot water for it - so good for cyclists/campers.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Aeropress is cheap, low-tech and very light to pack. Hand grinder is cylindrical and fits perfectly into the Aeropress top cylinder. I will need a microwave to nuke the milk and a kettle to nuke the water. That's my last post about that, I'm starting to sound like a fanatic.

Carrying a coffee maker to Portugal or Spain has got to be the most pointless exercise I have ever heard!
Like carrying coal to Newcastle, as we say I the UK.

Never had a problem obtaining a coffee.

As is often said elsewhere in the thread, to each his (or her) own. For some, the simple ritual of making coffee or tea is important to them.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I USED TO KNOW A GUY who drank instant coffee. I said why not drink brown water, what's the difference? As I said, I used to know a guy.

One person's "pointless exercise" is another's essential piece of equipment. I obviously have lower standards than Mike and others, since I carry only an electric coil and not a fancy coffee maker, but I would never set foot on a camino without it. Unless you are walking the Camino Frances where there are many cafes that cater to pilgrims, you are likely to be in a part of Spain or Portugal where the hours of operation may not coincide with pilgrim demands. (And note that the OP is walking the Portuguese Coastal route). Most cafes in small towns on most other caminos don't open at least till 8 am. And to compound the problem, these other caminos don't have places to drink coffee every 5 or 10 km. When I walked the Levante, and since I like to leave early, I frequently would have had to walk 20+ km before my first coffee. No can do.

...Unless you are walking the Camino Frances where there are many cafes that cater to pilgrims, you are likely to be in a part of Spain or Portugal where the hours of operation may not coincide with pilgrim demands. (And note that the OP is walking the Portuguese Coastal route). Most cafes in small towns on most other caminos don't open at least till 8 am. And to compound the problem, these other caminos don't have places to drink coffee every 5 or 10 km. When I walked the Levante, and since I like to leave early, I frequently would have had to walk 20+ km before my first coffee. No can do.

That answers my question on another thread. Understandably, many walkers' reference is the Camino Frances, but then they sometimes forget to put that context in their advice. I'm still far from my Camino, but at this point I intent to avoid the Frances if I can (sounds too crowded for my taste), so I always have to remind myself to double-check when I read advice which Camino it applies to.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
. And to compound the problem, these other caminos don't have places to drink coffee every 5 or 10 km. When I walked the Levante, and since I like to leave early, I frequently would have had to walk 20+ km before my first coffee. No can do.
Oh, this is going to be one inexpensive Camino if I can't find a places 3 times a day to spend 2Euros on a cafe com leite.

Oh, this is going to be one inexpensive Camino if I can't find a places 3 times a day to spend 2Euros on a cafe com leite.
65 eurocents per cup we paid last month in Portugal.
80 eurocents for a pastel de nata ! Stay in Portugal. ! The prices in Spain will disappoint you ! A different world.:D

Coffee? Did anybody say coffee? Gimme gimme!!

Its everywhere. Easy access to this wonderfull goody. And the prices hahaha, they are ludicrous haha. Life is good :)

When in Portugal, order a "Pingo" if you like the stronger stuff (i know i do)

In spain this is a cafe Cortado
In Italy a cafe macchiato

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

That's right - Galicia is not Spain!

Galicia.JPG

Aeropress is cheap, low-tech and very light to pack. Hand grinder is cylindrical and fits perfectly into the Aeropress top cylinder. I will need a microwave to nuke the milk and a kettle to nuke the water. That's my last post about that, I'm starting to sound like a fanatic.

You're not a fanatic - you've seen the light and it tasted GOOD!

BTW which grinder and do you use paper filters or washable mesh?

You're not a fanatic - you've seen the light and it tasted GOOD!

BTW which grinder and do you use paper filters or washable mesh?
Hi Jeff, I use a stainless steel mesh filter. Paper a nuisance (I can taste it) and the steel one works perfectly well. At home I use a sunbeam grinder but I bought a little porlex grinder for travel. Pretty obviously designed to slide right into the top cylinder of the Aeropress. Adjustable ceramic grinding elements and very cheap. The lettering all over the box is Japanese. URL is www.porlex.co.jp importers online somewhere - I bought mine from an importer near here in The Blue Mountains west of Sydney, Oz. Here's a video demo on YouTube
Nice of you to ask - Buen Camino. - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Jeff, I use a stainless steel mesh filter. Paper a nuisance (I can taste it) and the steel one works perfectly well. At home I use a sunbeam grinder but I bought a little prolex grinder for travel. Pretty obviously designed to slide right into the top cylinder of the Aeropress. Adjustable ceramic grinding elements and very cheap. The lettering all over the box is Japanese. URL is www.porlex.co.jp importers online somewhere - I bought mine from an importer near here in The Blue Mountains west of Sydney, Oz. Here's a video demo on YouTube
Oh I like THAT - top man! Thanks.

I carry an Aeropress on all my business trips, because there is no such thing as good hotel room coffee. However, the coffee in Spanish bars and restaurants is generally better than anything the Aeropress can produce (IMO). There were exceptions, but those were very rare. Hence, for me, it's not worth the nominal weight.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This thread has been very educational. It's led me to conclude there are two groups of people who carry coffee making equipment. Those who are "coffee snobs" (I say that with a tone of admiration, not dismissively) and those who are just caffeine addicts and who can't walk 20 km without their fix. For each group, the calculation is different.

If you're a coffee snob and just want good coffee, everyone is right, you'll find good coffee (usually) in the nearly ubiquitous cafes and bars all over Spain. My own opinion is that the quality of coffee in Spain has decreased over my 15 years of walking, but maybe it's just because coffee in the US has gotten so much better, so my standards are higher. But the OP is going to Portugal, and much as I love Portugal, I would have to say that Portuguese coffee is typically many notches down from Spain. So if you're a coffee snob, I think the calculation works in favor of bringing the equipment.

If you're just a caffeine addict, your equipment will be lighter, but equally essential IMO if you are walking any camino but the Frances. But I've already made that point, no doubt many more times than you want to hear.

Wow, I feel like a minimalist in survival mode compared to you guys -- with my plastic cup, instant coffee, and electric coil. :D Amazing.
Ah, don't forget we have to carry a crusader cup, flint and steel or firebow, tinder, kindling and a fire extinguisher for when your rucksack catches alight . . . ;) but it's WORTH it!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Jeff, I use a stainless steel mesh filter. Paper a nuisance (I can taste it) and the steel one works perfectly well. At home I use a sunbeam grinder but I bought a little porlex grinder for travel. Pretty obviously designed to slide right into the top cylinder of the Aeropress. Adjustable ceramic grinding elements and very cheap. The lettering all over the box is Japanese. URL is www.porlex.co.jp importers online somewhere - I bought mine from an importer near here in The Blue Mountains west of Sydney, Oz. Here's a video demo on YouTube
What is the weight of this equipment ?

What is the weight of this equipment ?
Hi Albertinho, Sorry I'm a while getting back to you, I've been away from my computer for a while.

The Aeropress (without the stirring paddle and the funnel, which are bulky to travel with) and the little Porlex grinder weigh a total of 462 grams. So that's almost exactly 1 pound. The Aeropress and the grinder are very compact - as I said previously the grinder fits into the top cylinder of the Aeropress. There's a crank handle for the grinder which just slots onto a lug at the top when you're ready to crank. The crank handle is a loose item, I'm going to get a big rubber band and lash the crank handle to the Aeropress to pack it for travel so it doesn't get lost. I'll travel with the kit in a bubble wrap bag, probably. The grinder works perfectly well. It takes a while to crank through some beans, but it works so well that its well worth getting good quality, very fresh roasted beans. I can make coffee that's as good as most espresso machines in Sydney here, and the standard of coffee in Sydney is world-class. There's no crema from the Aeropress, though. And you have to experiment with the grind size to get the best flavour. - Buen Camino, Mike

Hi Albertinho, Sorry I'm a while getting back to you, I've been away from my computer for a while.

The Aeropress (without the stirring paddle and the funnel, which are bulky to travel with) and the little Porlex grinder weigh a total of 462 grams. So that's almost exactly 1 pound. The Aeropress and the grinder are very compact - as I said previously the grinder fits into the top cylinder of the Aeropress. There's a crank handle for the grinder which just slots onto a lug at the top when you're ready to crank. The crank handle is a loose item, I'm going to get a big rubber band and lash the crank handle to the Aeropress to pack it for travel so it doesn't get lost. I'll travel with the kit in a bubble wrap bag, probably. The grinder works perfectly well. It takes a while to crank through some beans, but it works so well that its well worth getting good quality, very fresh roasted beans. I can make coffee that's as good as most espresso machines in Sydney here, and the standard of coffee in Sydney is world-class. There's no crema from the Aeropress, though. And you have to experiment with the grind size to get the best flavour. - Buen Camino, Mike
Thank you Mike for your extended explanation. How many beans you take with you to cover your coffee needs during your camino ?
I watched the video on You Tube ; being demonstrated the aeropress and the grinder.It looks great.
Bom caminho.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you Mike for your extended explanation. How many beans you take with you to cover your coffee needs during your camino ?
I watched a video on You Tube ; somebody demonstrated the aeropress and the grinder.It looks great.
Bom caminho.
Ironically, I probably won't be making my own coffee very often while on the Camino! It probably won't be convenient. I will be staying in Madrid for a week before and in Paris for a month after the Camino. It will be easier to use the Aeropress while in an AirBNB apartment than on the Camino, I expect. I'll see.

However, I will take a 250 gram bag of beans which is what I buy at home. When I run out, I'll see when that is and whether I can find some fresh roasted beans while on the Camino! At home 250 grams lasts me maybe a week and a half. Carrying any more than 250 grams is too bulky. At home I keep my beans in a sealed canister at room temperature, never in the fridge. I think that beans carried every day in a ziplock bag wouldn't last very well. This is my first Camino - I'll have to experiment.

Buen Camino

Ironically, I probably won't be making my own coffee very often while on the Camino! It probably won't be convenient. I will be staying in Madrid for a week before and in Paris for a month after the Camino. It will be easier to use the Aeropress while in an AirBNB apartment than on the Camino, I expect. I'll see.

However, I will take a 250 gram bag of beans which is what I buy at home. When I run out, I'll see when that is and whether I can find some fresh roasted beans while on the Camino! At home 250 grams lasts me maybe a week and a half. Carrying any more than 250 grams is too bulky. At home I keep my beans in a sealed canister at room temperature, never in the fridge. I think that beans carried every day in a ziplock bag wouldn't last very well. This is my first Camino - I'll have to experiment.

Buen Camino
So about an extra 700 odd grams you are carrying. Maybe better to forward the set to Ivar in Santiago by post as soon as you are in Madrid and pick it up when you arrive in Santiago and use the set in Paris .
Which camino are you following ? The Francès or the Portuguese ? Or another one..?
Alternative is buy a cup of coffee at a bar or restaurant. Saves you some weight.

I walked the camino 3 times and the 4th time is ahead coming May but allways got our coffee somewhere. I was wondering if this system works out during the walking. It takes room and adds weight to your backpack.
" All what you do not take is an advantage "

Buen camino

So about an extra 700 odd grams you are carrying. Maybe better to forward the set to Ivar in Santiago by post as soon as you are in Madrid and pick it up when you arrive in Santiago and use the set in Paris .
Which camino are you following ? The Francès or the Portuguese ? Or another one..?
Alternative is buy a cup of coffee at a bar or restaurant. Saves you some weight.

I walked the camino 3 times and the 4th time is ahead coming May but allways got our coffee somewhere. I was wondering if this system works out during the walking. It takes room and adds weight to your backpack.
" All what you do not take is an advantage "

Buen camino
I'll be on The Frances. I will certainly taste the coffee along the way. I can't drink black coffee because of a sensitive stomach. Maybe I'm being unfair but for some reason I'm expecting Spanish coffee to be very strong. There's only one way to find out, I guess. While I'm in Madrid I'll decide on what to do. I'll start walking March 26th from SJPDP and get to Santiago D.C. first week in May, so not in sync with your timing. I could have bought you a coffee! - Mike.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'll be on The Frances. I will certainly taste the coffee along the way. I can't drink black coffee because of a sensitive stomach. Maybe I'm being unfair but for some reason I'm expecting Spanish coffee to be very strong. There's only one way to find out, I guess. While I'm in Madrid I'll decide on what to do. I'll start walking March 26th from SJPDP and get to Santiago D.C. first week in May, so not in sync with your timing. I could have bought you a coffee! - Mike.
In Spain ask for a "café con leche " (with milk) which is not that strong .
You definitively will like the food and drinks in Spain.
A pity we do not meet up somewhere. We drive by car and campingtrailer-caravan we say here in Holland- to Lisbon in Portugal ' leave them on a campingsite and start walking from Estoríl ,west of Lisbon to Fátima. this year our caminho will not end up in Santiago. But we will meet many pilgrims on the Portuguese route. We will act as hospitaleiros in the north of
Portugal after acomplishing our caminho and touristical traveling around in the Lisbon area.
Maybe we will drink a cafezinho in the future

Buen camino

Albertinho

I'll be on The Frances. I will certainly taste the coffee along the way. I can't drink black coffee because of a sensitive stomach. Maybe I'm being unfair but for some reason I'm expecting Spanish coffee to be very strong. There's only one way to find out, I guess. ...Mike.
I'll second what Albertinho said - you'll like the cafe con leche in Spain. Smooth, not acidic at all.

You're lucky. Coffee is the first thing in the morning. The Portuguese prefer strong expresso in small cups. Around Porto they call it "uma bica"
Everywhere in the towns and villages are bars to get your coffee.
We like cappuccino but never ask for that nor in Portugal, nor in Spain. In spite of impressive coffee machines you see, you get cold milk in your coffee or cream from an aerosol . Instead ask for café com leite in Portugal or in Spain café con leche , coffee with hot milk as an alternative.
If you want real cappuccino, go to Italy .:)
If you do like black coffee ask in Portugal for café preto and in Spain café solo or café Americano.
Decaf is called café descafinado.
In Spain at the bar are small napkins to clean your mouth after drinking your coffee and eating a churro(a kind of fried dough) . Throw this napkin on the floor after using . This is a traditional habit.:)
In Portugal order a pastel de nata with your coffee. Once you taste one, you allways want to turn back to Portugal. They are toooo delicious !

Bom caminho.

GREAT information this.

Also see this thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-days-part-3.37489/

Hi Mike,

Got one and it's great. Tried it on the bean version of my normal ground brand of coffee - SO much richer in flavour!

Forever in you debt!

Cheers!

Hi Mike,

Got one and it's great. Tried it on the bean version of my normal ground brand of coffee - SO much richer in flavour!

Forever in you debt!

Cheers!
Jeff, There's never too much good coffee in the world. I have a very good conical burr grinder at home and the little porlex did such a good job that it tasted pretty much the same. A bit of a workout, as you have discovered. But at least I won't be cranking that thing with my feet, I'll save them for walking. - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
How would I ask for a Flat White short in Portuguese? Or cafe com liette with extra shot?
I am thinking about one of those electric coil thingies - two boiled eggs and a nice cuppa! Although I will say that European instant coffee IS a lot better than Via or any other instant in the USA
Janice

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
How would I ask for a Flat White short in Portuguese? Or cafe com liette with extra shot?
I am thinking about one of those electric coil thingies - two boiled eggs and a nice cuppa! Although I will say that European instant coffee IS a lot better than Via or any other instant in the USA
Janice

What brands are you talking about Janice? I find that the instant coffee available in Spain is the pretty unremarkable Nescafé. Have you found something else? I usually bring over 250 g of a good instant coffee my international foods store sells (can't remember if it's German, Greek, etc.) and then just buy Nescafé as the replacement, but I notice a decline in quality. Would love to find some better options, though truth be told, I am more interested in the caffeine than the taste at 6 am. :) Buen camino, Laurie

What brands are you talking about Janice? I find that the instant coffee available in Spain is the pretty unremarkable Nescafé. Have you found something else? I usually bring over 250 g of a good instant coffee my international foods store sells (can't remember if it's German, Greek, etc.) and then just buy Nescafé as the replacement, but I notice a decline in quality. Would love to find some better options, though truth be told, I am more interested in the caffeine than the taste at 6 am. :) Buen camino, Laurie
I was thinking of Nescafe Clasico or Gold (can't remember which) But the Nescafe in the UK is better than what you find in USA. It had same name (blend) different label, but it did not taste the same at all. Just like Cadbury chocolate - the stuff marketed for USA is not the same. For sure don't like Via - bought a box and returned it few days ago. But I mostly am a tea drinker and enjoy espresso when I'm out and about and can't get a decent cuppa.
I do have a Melitta drip coffee and it makes a decent coffee - can use the solo filter that fits over the cup - good for travel and it is lightweight.
Buen Camino,
Janice

Hi Mike,

Forever in you debt!

Cheers!
Hi Jeff,

I've been in Madrid for a few days, I'll soon be on my way to Saint Jean PDP. I've been using the coffee rig as described and it's working perfectly. I bought some beans just around the corner at the Toma Cafe - turns out it's one of the highest rated cafes in town. I'm glad you enjoyed the Aeropress/Porlex.

Mike

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Jeff,

I've been in Madrid for a few days, I'll soon be on my way to Saint Jean PDP. I've been using the coffee rig as described and it's working perfectly. I bought some beans just around the corner at the Toma Cafe - turns out it's one of the highest rated cafes in town. I'm glad you enjoyed the Aeropress/Porlex.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Hope you have a great, caffeine fueled, Camino.

Travel safe

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Mike

Buen camino, Mike. I'm sure those crowds of adoring sleepy-eyed, caffeine-deprived pilgrims every morning are drawn only to your wonderful personality and not to the heavenly smell emanating from your little porlex. You are likely to become the most popular man on the camino.

If you prefer not to have the Nescafe packet, try asking for "Sin cafeina, de la maquina."

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back