• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Caldas the Reis destroyed my camino (almost)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
Caldas the Reis was supposed to be my second last stop but I had such a bad experience there that I decided to walk all the way to Santiago the day after.

The albergue was dirty and the people were pigs. It was horrible.

The kitchen was really small just a plate for cooking. They made food and used everything. Then they just sat there drinking instead of doing the dishes and I really refuse to do dishes after them to be able to cook. Especially when they were rude when another pilgrim asked them if they were done.

They never went quiet at night sitting in the kitchen with open door. I asked them nicely at 22:30, 23:00 and 23:30 and got the answer "this is an albergue if you want quiwt book a pension". When they went to bed after midnight they flashed my face with them on purpose. Banging into my bed, talking loud in the dorm, russling around with plastic bags. Another pilgrim also told them to be quiet and got the same answer. Then they got up at 4:40 and the same thing headlamps on, talking in the dorm, plastic bags and the same answer when someone asked them to be quiet. The disturbing once was a quite large group.

When I came out in the kitchen they had just left it in a mess. (The same in Valença there was still food on the table and dirty dishes in the kitchen in the morning)

The total lack of respect for others just made me so tired, so pissed off that I could get back into good camino mode again. Didn't want to stop In Teo as I intended. I just walked on to Santiago and there I couldn't find a place to leave my bag so I missed mass at 18. Had to leave the queue once due to smokers in the pilgrims office court yard (still no don't smoke signs and even one of their security guards smoked when I was in the line outside the second time).

Talked to a man who walked from England to Santiago via CF and he had the same experience from Sarria. He had done several caminos before and was chocked about the behaviour he met.

I had some lovely stays in albergues as well previous on the route. But as another poster wrote earlier the last 100 can kill your camino :-(

I fly home tomorrow. Will take my kids to a nice little cozy hostel in the mountains.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Beatrice
I really sympathise. When this sort of thing happens to me, I later look back on it, and realise that this was sent to “try me”. So then I have to walk the camino again to try and learn tolerance :eek: Jill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I walked the Primitivo last year there devolped quite a large family of us, mixture of spanish, young americans and a few others. After Lugo the younger ones dropped back by a day, they got caught up in the wave of pilgrims that were descending on Santiago for the 24th July, they had a rough time of it. At the xunta albergue before Arzua an individual turned up walked to the front of the line put his Mochilla down and said that this allowed his 30 strong group to come later and get in first, arguments followed and they had other stories of similar stuff.

Sorry you had a bad experience Beatrice, you know the camino can be better than that.
Good Luck and Buen Camino for your future travels.

Why is it always I who shall be tested and "learn something" it is such a strange thing to say in my opinion.

What can I possible learn from not getting any food or sleep? That I actually can walk 40 km without it. I knew that before this. When will the idiots learn something why shall their rules alway be applied.

So tell me how do you grow as a person by seeing it as a test. A test of what?

I can sometimes just let it go and have done that several times before but sometimes it gets me and I can't let go. I really didn't want another night with that kind of people.

What else do you have to tolerate? See as a test. Someone eating your food, stealing your clothes, taking your money, hurt you? It is just a test of my tolerance.

I might be a really bad person but I can't see why I should tolerate people being rude to me. I really can't.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Beatrice. I agree with you. I had a similar experience with a group of pilgrims being noisy all night, leaving a big mess, and just being completely indifferent towards other pilgrims. It made me feel very annoyed and sad. What I learned is simple: I just do not like this kind of behaviour and I do not
want this as part of my camino. I think there is nothing wrong with me for feeling this way, and I do not need to be tested on this anymore.

Nor can I, Beatrice, nor can I; but I need one good excuse for wanting to walk the camino again :)
I know I will be back on the camino but om not so sure of walking the last 100 again. I have 5 compostela that might be enough. I can walk the routes that connects to the bigger routes and just stop or do pension but I don't want the morons to take over the albergues. They (the albergues not the morons) are a part of the camino being able go share meals and thoughts. I would really miss that part then. Or I just walk the last 100 in one stretch ;-)

Last edited:
I might be a really bad person but I can't see why I should tolerate people being rude to me. I really can't.

No your not a bad person, I have read your posts since joining and found them and you informative and polite. I have an old saying that I use when facing human adversity, "Never let the (insert own derogatory term) grind you down". I hope you continue to post on the forum. Good luck and Buen Camino now and every other camino you walk.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Why is it always I who shall be tested and "learn something" it is such a strange thing to say in my opinion.

What can I possible learn from not getting any food or sleep? That I actually can walk 40 km without it. I knew that before this. When will the idiots learn something why shall their rules alway be applied.

I can sometimes just let it go and have done that several times before but sometimes it gets me and I can't let go. I really didn't want another night with that kind of people.

What else do you have to tolerate? See as a test. Someone eating your food, stealing your clothes, taking your money, hurt you? It is just a test of my tolerance.

Beatrice and all Brothers from the Camino,
I concur that nowadays the last 100 are pretty rude, the spirit of the Camino is somewhat diluted. This is why generally I tend to walk the last 100 in two days to protect and keep with me the purity of what I have received during the lonely part of my long days walking alone.
I have been exposed to your unpleasant situation Beatrice maybe a dozen of times, but far more often to the very pleasant situation of Albergues with nobody or just one another Pilgrim. I am happy that the balance is still in my favour!
I tend to believe that if the Camino was not so popular, they would not be enough Albergues de Peregrinos or Puntos de acogida municipales; I have been happy to find a roof almost every day in every Camino, and this is thanks to the popularity of the Camino, this same popularity that attracts multiple discordant profiles, especially when we are approaching Santiago. The same can be experienced with the cyclists, they are more and more, but probably they high number forces infrastructure to be sustained and expanded in numbers.

But sometimes I understand that it can be good to speak up, clear and loud personal feelings, and this is why a public forum is for...

Kind Regards from my Apostol,

It's a struggle sometimes isn't it?

I had a similar experience in Palais de Rei, though not as bad. A hoard of Spanish 'pilgrims' were is the same hostal and behaved like they were school kids on a trip. They were in their 30s, 40s. They just left their room doors open and talked 'yelled' up and down the corridor, and running up and down to each others rooms.

A few times I went into the corridor asking them to be quiet. They looked at me like I was some kind of alien....

I was getting angry and very tired. It was well after midnight before they settled down....

I could easily have let this ruin my day. I chose not to let it do so.

Firstly, if I let it ruin my day, 'they' would have won. I would be stressing over their behaviour, whilst they in reality couldn't give a damn, about their behaviour.....or me.
And secondly, I just told myself they didn't know any better. Maybe they came from a background where good behaviour and consideration for others was not taught or not considered important? Maybe they had saved for years for this trip and were going to make the best of it? Who knows.

The bottom line.........I forgot them and moved on........... To do otherwise would make me suffer..........not them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I say more.
I learn (and grow) more with the difficulties that the path has to me, than when everything goes well
Yes there is an old saying that "what does not kill you make's you stronger"- but being civil, cleaning up your mess and treating others with respect is (in my view) a central tenet of the Camino.

It's a struggle sometimes isn't it?

I had a similar experience in Palais de Rei, though not as bad. A hoard of Spanish 'pilgrims' were is the same hostal and behaved like they were school kids on a trip. They were in their 30s, 40s. They just left their room doors open and talked 'yelled' up and down the corridor, and running up and down to each others rooms.

A few times I went into the corridor asking them to be quiet. They looked at me like I was some kind of alien....

I was getting angry and very tired. It was well after midnight before they settled down....

I could easily have let this ruin my day. I chose not to let it do so.

Firstly, if I let it ruin my day, 'they' would have won. I would be stressing over their behaviour, whilst they in reality couldn't give a damn, about their behaviour.....or me.
And secondly, I just told myself they didn't know any better. Maybe they came from a background where good behaviour and consideration for others was not taught or not considered important? Maybe they had saved for years for this trip and were going to make the best of it? Who knows.

The bottom line.........I forgot them and moved on........... To do otherwise would make me suffer..........not them.
I thing the problem is that you come across then in the end. If it was in the beginning they would be forgotten. By ending the camino with fights with ignorant people tend to still be in at least my mind when I do the last part. They won this time as they took away my stroll into Santiago the next day as I knew that some of them would be in Teo and in Faramello. I couldn't do what I had planned. I knew that I relly needed sleep as I had a bad night the night before as well more due to heat and an albergue next to the fire station (how did they think when they put it there?).

I will forget about them hopefully. But they really ruined my last day of the camino. I had some nice moments as well that day thou that I hope will stick longer in my memory.

Sorry you had to go through such unpleasant experience, Beatrice. I have to agree, experiences like that doesn't really "teach you" or "make you grow" in any way. Someone stole my sunscreen in an albergue in Santibanez (and those who's been there know how tough, let alone expensive, it is to find a replacement!), and it sure hasn't taught me anything. Just left me €12 lighter!

I was tipped off by my little brother, who has done Camino three times, about the infamy of the last 100km. In response, I did several 40+km days in a row to fly pass the hot zone and get into Santiago as soon as possible.

After ending my Dragonte day in Herrerias, my first stop in Galicia was Casa Campo near Montan (wanted to stop in Triacastela but all albergues were full. didn't see that before so, surprise!) BTW the hospitalero there was THE BEST I've ever met in my entire camino and house dinner was DIVINE. Sure a bit pricier than most (15 for bed and 12 for dinner), but there were only two guests that night so we each had whole room for ourselves. Definitely worth few extra kms after Triacastela.

The second stop was Gonzar, again 8km or so after Portomarin. Couple of places I checked in Portomarin were full so I didn't even bother checking elsewhere. Muni in Gonzar was full, but I got extremely lucky and got the last bed in private albergue and luckily didn't have any issues there.

The third stop was in Ribadiso, and there I finally ran into some a-holes who doesn't give a ***t. They were up til midnight chatting loudly outside, and used headlamps to find their ways into beds, flashing other sleepers in the process(why on earth do they have to do that? is it like a thing or something?). And of course, plastic bags. Idiots. I never cooked and always ate out so I didn't have to witness any atrocities regarding kitchen usage.

And today... Santiago! Didn't think I'd get an albergue after walking 40k/12h and arriving around 6-7pm, so I booked a pension room with Expedia the night before. Pension Residencia Tambre. It's a bit of walk from monument city(about 20 min or so, so going out for dinner was a bit of a hassle), but the owner was extremely nice and pointed out bunch of locations on a map that I should check out. Checkout is noon tomorrow so I'll see the Cathedral and all before heading out for Fisterra tomorrow!

I think I might have been more tolerant if they were young but they were between 25-40. And no I don't think they have saved money for a very long time to be able to walk from Tui to Santiago barhopping on their way.

I thought the xuntas and municipal albergues had some sort of rules but when we were completo (I got the last bed) the hospitalero left the building. There were no rules posted in the albergue either. I usually prefer the private albergues as they are a little bit more expensive and seams to have better order. But they were all filled up when I came.

Sorry you had to go through such unpleasant experience, Beatrice. I have to agree, experiences like that doesn't really "teach you" or "make you grow" in any way. Someone stole my sunscreen in an albergue in Santibanez (and those who's been there know how tough, let alone expensive, it is to find a replacement!), and it sure hasn't taught me anything. Just left me €12 lighter!

I was tipped off by my little brother, who has done Camino three times, about the infamy of the last 100km. In response, I did several 40+km days in a row to fly pass the hot zone and get into Santiago as soon as possible.

After ending my Dragonte day in Herrerias, my first stop in Galicia was Casa Campo near Montan (wanted to stop in Triacastela but all albergues were full. didn't see that before so, surprise!) BTW the hospitalero there was THE BEST I've ever met in my entire camino and house dinner was DIVINE. Sure a bit pricier than most (15 for bed and 12 for dinner), but there were only two guests that night so we each had whole room for ourselves. Definitely worth few extra kms after Triacastela.

The second stop was Gonzar, again 8km or so after Portomarin. Couple of places I checked in Portomarin were full so I didn't even bother checking elsewhere. Muni in Gonzar was full, but I got extremely lucky and got the last bed in private albergue and luckily didn't have any issues there.

The third stop was in Ribadiso, and there I finally ran into some a-holes who doesn't give a ***t. They were up til midnight chatting loudly outside, and used headlamps to find their ways into beds, flashing other sleepers in the process(why on earth do they have to do that? is it like a thing or something?). And of course, plastic bags. Idiots. I never cooked and always ate out so I didn't have to witness any atrocities regarding kitchen usage.

And today... Santiago! Didn't think I'd get an albergue after walking 40k/12h and arriving around 6-7pm, so I booked a pension room with Expedia the night before. Pension Residencia Tambre. It's a bit of walk from monument city(about 20 min or so, so going out for dinner was a bit of a hassle), but the owner was extremely nice and pointed out bunch of locations on a map that I should check out. Checkout is noon tomorrow so I'll see the Cathedral and all before heading out for Fisterra tomorrow!
As I'm gluten intolerant I make my own food if I can. Have been refused food in restaurants, have got gluten in my food in restaurants. So my body is a little bit upset at the moment :-(

I'm also in Santiago right now. In Pension Montes at the Fonseca square. Leaving SdC late tomorrow. Missed the noon mass today as I had a relly nice meeting with another pilgrim over coffee. We started to talk on the street and found our self sitting in a cafe for 2 h talking about the camino and life. Relly lovely. That is what I love with the camino.

I'm glad to here that you found nice places to stay. On Francés it is a little bit easier. Before Portomarin I stayed in Vilàcha at Casa Banderas to skip Portomarin that was a real gem on the camino. On the Portuguese route there is still very few albergues between the bigger cities. But I hope it will change.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I thing the problem is that you come across then in the end. If it was in the beginning they would be forgotten. By ending the camino with fights with ignorant people tend to still be in at least my mind when I do the last part. They won this time as they took away my stroll into Santiago the next day as I knew that some of them would be in Teo and in Faramello. I couldn't do what I had planned. I knew that I relly needed sleep as I had a bad night the night before as well more due to heat and an albergue next to the fire station (how did they think when they put it there?).

I will forget about them hopefully. But they really ruined my last day of the camino. I had some nice moments as well that day thou that I hope will stick longer in my memory.

Focus on the good memories. Life is too short to let idiots spoil your day ;)

Last edited:
I'm also in Santiago right now. In Pension Montes at the Fonseca square. .

That's where I stayed. Great location 100m from the Cathedral. But the noise at night! Worst sleep of my hole Camino :oops: Wouldn't stay there again.

Note: The noise is from the revellers in the square below your window who go on till about 1 am............

That's where I stayed. Great location 100m from the Cathedral. But the noise at night! Worst sleep of my hole Camino :oops: Wouldn't stay there again.

Note: The noise is from the revellers in the square below your window who go on till about 1 am............
Ask for room 301 the room in the back without windows (it has a 18cmx18cm) window out to a backyard or something. can only see roof tops. A quiet cloister cell :) pitch black now at night.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
At last! When I first mention the rudeness one now encounters in the last 100k people sniggered and told me my reponse was more about me than about the last 100km. And I dig in deep,to tey to see with put reacting, but when you travel thousands of miles for a,particular experience, or an experience on a certain specgrum of civilty and encounter this, it's very disappointing.

If you are walking for religiois reasons and need to get to Santiago so be it but it will be a long time before I am found on the CF again for the last 100k,to,walk into Santiago. Let's face it, and we had those conversation during the Xmas holidays, the Camino is now the most inexpensive European holiday, plus it offers the putdoors experience that is so trendy these days. Pilgrimage not so much. Will the Catedral listen? Or does it really think it's going to convert these ruffians? Unfortunately the pow prices seem to encourage a type of tourism that is not the most interesting, just look at what Thailand has to put up with from Westerners.

Beatrice, so sorry you experienced this. Thank you for posting.

I wonder what can be done to make these people behave. They don't listen to other pilgrims. Would they listen to the hospitaleros, if they were there all the time? Would they respect any authority?

So sorry you had to go through that, Beatrice. Most times I swallow my anger to these people, but I wonder if it would really be bad to react strongly. Because what kind of language do they understand, if 'respect' is not one of them?

Caldas the Reis was supposed to be my second last stop but I had such a bad experience there that I decided to walk all the way to Santiago the day after.

The kitchen was really small just a plate for cooking. They made food and used everything. Then they just sat there drinking instead of doing the dishes and I really refuse to do dishes after them to be able to cook. Especially when they were rude when another pilgrim asked them if they were done.

They never went quiet at night sitting in the kitchen with open door. I asked them nicely at 22:30, 23:00 and 23:30 and got the answer "this is an albergue if you want quiwt book a pension". When they went to bed after midnight they flashed my face with them on purpose. Banging into my bed, talking loud in the dorm, russling around with plastic bags. Another pilgrim also told them to be quiet and got the same answer. Then they got up at 4:40 and the same thing headlamps on, talking in the dorm, plastic bags and the same answer when someone asked them to be quiet. The disturbing once was a quite large group.

When I came out in the kitchen they had just left it in a mess. (The same in Valença there was still food on the table and dirty dishes in the kitchen in the morning)

The total lack of respect for others just made me so tired, so pissed off that I could get back into good camino mode again. Didn't want to stop In Teo as I intended. I just walked on to Santiago and there I couldn't find a place to leave my bag so I missed mass at 18. Had to leave the queue once due to smokers in the pilgrims office court yard (still no don't smoke signs and even one of their security guards smoked when I was in the line outside the second time).

Talked to a man who walked from England to Santiago via CF and he had the same experience from Sarria. He had done several caminos before and was chocked about the behaviour he met.

I had some lovely stays in albergues as well previous on the route. But as another poster wrote earlier the last 100 can kill your camino :-(

I fly home tomorrow. Will take my kids to a nice little cozy hostel in the mountains.

It reminds me of an experience whilst camping in Strathcona Park. A whole can of assholes showed up at my campsite and got drunk. There was a fire ban; they built a fire. The later it got the louder they got. No sleep to be had that night. I was glad they were headed in the other direction. And I was pleased that the hung over assholes would not find any fresh water for several kilometers.

Assholes are not found only on the last 100 km of the camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I am very sorry that you had this experience. There are divers ways to live life. We can confront all that offend us and bear the consequences and burdens of being in constant contention with others. Alternatively, we can accept that we have little to no control over the actions of others; we can only control our own actions. I am responsible for my own life and my own actions. If something occurs that I cannot accept I have choices: I can leave, I can stay and just bear it, or I can attempt to negotiate with those that offend me. Each choice will result in a host of other decisions and actions.

I have chosen to be a source of peace in the world. Granted, admittedly, I fail miserably at times, but I continue to try and reflect peace. Each new conflict in life offers an opportunity to be a source of peace in the world. Each event is a new trial. The Camino teaches us; we choose to learn or not.

If you fall in with a bad lot of folk on the Camino choose what you will do wisely. Sometimes it is better to hang back a day or two or to skip ahead. We are always in control of our own choices. Yes, sometimes life is a trial and lessons are painful. I think choosing peace brings me more happiness than alternative responses.

I am very sorry that you had this experience. There are divers ways to live life. We can confront all that offend us and bear the consequences and burdens of being in constant contention with others. Alternatively, we can accept that we have little to no control over the actions of others; we can only control our own actions. I am responsible for my own life and my own actions. If something occurs that I cannot accept I have choices: I can leave, I can stay and just bear it, or I can attempt to negotiate with those that offend me. Each choice will result in a host of other decisions and actions.

I have chosen to be a source of peace in the world. Granted, admittedly, I fail miserably at times, but I continue to try and reflect peace. Each new conflict in life offers an opportunity to be a source of peace in the world. Each event is a new trial. The Camino teaches us; we choose to learn or not.

If you fall in with a bad lot of folk on the Camino choose what you will do wisely. Sometimes it is better to hang back a day or two or to skip ahead. We are always in control of our own choices. Yes, sometimes life is a trial and lessons are painful. I think choosing peace brings me more happiness than alternative responses.
But that was just what I was angry about. They made me skip a head. They made me change my plan. They took away the things I like, stoppning in a place near Santiago and then stroll in in the morning. I did my choice I did walk the whole way 43,6 km to Santiago to never have to meet them again. They were quite a big bunch o people and some were going to stop in Padrón some in Teo and some in Faramello. So where should I have gone?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh you poor dear, Beatrice .... that is so totally out of the spirit of the camino. However, I think - if you can - you should now put that small part of all your total camino experiences to bed. The next one will be so much better!
I notice that - like me - you've completed a variety of caminos [including the Primitivo, which I hope to walk next April if my foot improves]. Your next one will be great!
I have reached the stage where, to be honest, I'm not too fussed about the "final 100 kms". So many folk seem to just walk those few kms - including many children who ignore other pilgrims and talk and shout as they walk. I wouldn't want to discourage them - but it's not what we think of as the spirit of the camino.
On a personal note, I shall - health permitting - continue to walk the many caminos - often the quieter caminos in the quieter season ...... and outside of school holidays ;)
Buen camino, Beatrice!

Oh you poor dear, Beatrice .... that is so totally out of the spirit of the camino. However, I think - if you can - you should now put that small part of all your total camino experiences to bed. The next one will be so much better!
I notice that - like me - you've completed a variety of caminos [including the Primitivo, which I hope to walk next April if my foot improves]. Your next one will be great!
I have reached the stage where, to be honest, I'm not too fussed about the "final 100 kms". So many folk seem to just walk those few kms - including many children who ignore other pilgrims and talk and shout as they walk. I wouldn't want to discourage them - but it's not what we think of as the spirit of the camino.
On a personal note, I shall - health permitting - continue to walk the many caminos - often the quieter caminos in the quieter season ...... and outside of school holidays ;)
Buen camino, Beatrice!
I wish it had been school kids but they were more or less in my age :-(

As I said in a previous answer I'll be back but perhaps not go to Santiago. Or I take St Olav and Rome and some other trails. Who knows.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

The really sad thing about this experience is it could happen anywhere and any night. I can only imagine encountering a night like this during the first week and saying to myself, "what is this Camino about" and quitting because some group of crass, boring A-holes don't know how to behave.
IMO, I think the hospitalero has some degree of responsibility in making sure rules like lights out, etc. are being respected. But then as a hospitalero I have learned, I'M NOT YOUR MOTHER.

[edited by ivar for language]

Last edited by a moderator:
There are rude people everywhere. Being on the Camino doesn't mean you won't experience this. Accept what you can't change and try to look at the positives - that you are lucky to be walking another Camino and all the best memories about it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

How beautifully expressed…..

The really sad thing about this experience is it could happen anywhere and any night. I can only imagine encountering a night like this during the first week and saying to myself, "what is this Camino about" and quitting because some group of crass, boring A-holes don't know how to behave.
IMO, I think the hospitalero has some degree of responsibility in making sure rules like lights out, etc. are being respected. But then as a hospitalero I have learned, I'M NOT YOUR MOTHER.

[edited by ivar for language]

I'm wondering if there was a hospitalero. Usually the presence of someone in authority is all it takes to keep the peace.

So sorry you had such a bad experience. Sod all the good intentions, I think I would have wanted to kill them and I think a screaming match would have ensued had I been in your place. Such disrespectful people. Just be glad you don't live next door to them!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

always remember this, sometimes we are tested and sometimes we ourselves are the test without knowing it, when I smoke a cigar I try to do so without it being a bother to those that don't smoke. I have yet to be asked by those of the fairer sex if the perfume/hairspray, is a bother to me, I just move along and try to catch my breath away from them

Go Beatrice - do the last 100 in one stretch....or walk to Rome (it should take you just over a week).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am very sorry that you had this experience. [...] If you fall in with a bad lot of folk on the Camino choose what you will do wisely. Sometimes it is better to hang back a day or two or to skip ahead. We are always in control of our own choices. Yes, sometimes life is a trial and lessons are painful. I think choosing peace brings me more happiness than alternative responses.
Unfortunately, "laying back a day or two" during this time of the year can't help:mad: Whether one likes it or not, the "last 100 kms" have increasingly become partying time:rolleyes: It is no mystery as to why hostals and hotels are doing well for pilgrims who want their peace. [Yes, sometimes life is a trial and lessons are painful] .... to one's wallet for sure!:eek:

It is no mystery as to why hostals and hotels are doing well for pilgrims who want their peace.

Yes, I also tend to avoid the albergues during the last 100 kms, preferring to stay in small hotels and pensions. Partying with your “camino family” half way across the meseta can be lots of fun, but having to put up with drunken groups in the last 100 kms is just not on. Avoid them if you can, but if your budget doesn’t allow for that, then you have to “put up” and “shut up”, as nothing you say or do will change their behaviour right now. As I said earlier, I believe this is sent to “try me”, because in order to “put up” and “shut up”, I have to learn patience and tolerance. Jill

I have read much of this thread, and although it's been over a year since I walked my tired self to Santiago - your words, Beatrice, had me recalling a morning between Sarria and Santiago when I felt weary in body and spirit. The day before I had shared the path unwittingly with waves of Spanish teenagers. At one point I sat to the side of the Way and let all of my tears spill out freely. I had thoughts that I've read here often - it seems a personal affront after weeks of relatively quiet walking. Somehow that day I was able to to conclude that in spite of their youth and enthusiasm and NOISE, perhaps this would be one of the experiences that would help to shape them as their lives unfold.
A day later, I found myself sharing the pathway with folks my age-ish, day packs, and loud cell phone conversations.... I didn't find my compassion as easily that morning.
Peace comes and goes as does frustration. In my little, humble opinion, it is not a 'test to pass' when confounded by other humans as much as it is a way to manage our own decision making and choices. I'm sorry you are carrying your bad experience as well as your pack - either may be set down, but one more easily than the other perhaps.
Buen Camino, Peregrina.

So sorry to hear about your experience, my wife and I will do the last 100km next July - maybe your experience wasnt to teach you but for you to teach others? reading these post have been very helpful to me.. I will be very mindful of others when I walk.... thanks

Chase

At last! When I first mention the rudeness one now encounters in the last 100k people sniggered and told me my reponse was more about me than about the last 100km. And I dig in deep,to tey to see with put reacting, but when you travel thousands of miles for a,particular experience, or an experience on a certain specgrum of civilty and encounter this, it's very disappointing.

If you are walking for religiois reasons and need to get to Santiago so be it but it will be a long time before I am found on the CF again for the last 100k,to,walk into Santiago. Let's face it, and we had those conversation during the Xmas holidays, the Camino is now the most inexpensive European holiday, plus it offers the putdoors experience that is so trendy these days. Pilgrimage not so much. Will the Catedral listen? Or does it really think it's going to convert these ruffians? Unfortunately the pow prices seem to encourage a type of tourism that is not the most interesting, just look at what Thailand has to put up with from Westerners.

Beatrice, so sorry you experienced this. Thank you for posting.

We have except for 2008 avoided all alberques over the last 100km.
W have also on one occasion bused the last 100km and continued on to Muxia.
The draws at home have enough certificates , just can't stand idiots.
The peace of the Norte and/or Primitivo is spoilt well before you reach the Frances.

As i said to the Bishop of Santiago DC only recently in Ostabat [GR65 Le Puy] the word on the street [ read normal folk] is that $$$$$ is the only reason you will not increase to 200 or 300km the distance for the Compostela.
The other Bishops in the group [5] all agreed.

Last edited:
My two bits, I think a lot of great points have been made here in regards to how to deal with the ignorance of some people, sometimes I feel, as you do Beatrice, it is those people as much as myself who need 'enlightenment' as they are on a pilgrimage as well, and therefore am happy to subtly encourage or educate them to 'tread lightly', if they take it on board, so be it, if not I move on in my life and they move on in theirs. I learned much from my Camino last year, I found that there were people who were comfortable pushing their opinions on others, criticising things or people and being negative, all things I am guilty of at times and strive to avoid doing now, there were also many people who were upbeat, content and positive...and many others somewhere in between, everyone had a story. I can't stand inconsiderate people as this is a trait that affects others, not only them.
I can totally understand how these types of incidents mar ones experience, not only of the Camino but of day to day living so sympathise greatly with you Beatrice, I know what you mean about enjoying the experience of the albergue but sometimes all the 'camaraderie' gets a little too much and space on your own is vital. This can be hard/impossible when there is 'no room at the inn' and under the circumstances you were under, what IS brilliant is we have this forum where we are comfortable in airing our thoughts. Maybe someday these idiots will mature and look back on what selfish, thoughtless people they are, probably not, but be assured in the fact you are the complete opposite of them. X

@Thornley that sounds interesting. What were the circumstances?

It was a very hot Le Puy camino Kanga , temp. never below 30c and mostly that temp by noon.
We had a long day in the making and going 5 km past Ostabat was getting in the late 20's km.
However the next day to STJPP was only 18km thus allowing us to continue to Valcarlos.
Out of nowhere was a touring bus, 50 people and i believe 6 Bishops who had just emerged from same all now striding out on the GR.
They were Gite owners on the French side , nearly all ex pilgrims and they were discussing the way over lunch. They were happy talking to an Australian , especially now that George P is in charge of the purse strings which we quickly pointed out.
In Ostabat i had a great yarn with the Bishop from Auvillar and also Bayonne who spoke wonderful english. They asked many questions and got straight answers on the costs , facilities and assistance on both sides of the border and also why we continue after 7 years.
The Bishops i think were from Limoges, Auvillar, Bayonne, Logrono, Burgos and Santiago.
I told them that greed was often mentioned when we discuss the 100km and the bit of paper associated with it. When they spoke to others with us on the GR it became apparent that many were turning right @ Pamplona and walking to the Norte to avoid the Frances.
We continued onwards and it was not crowded. I think the festival @ Pamplona made many hurry and by pass same.
They took it all in and knew exactly what we were saying about the reverence disappearing within the last bit...............except maybe one Bishop who quickly decided he knew no english.
You guessed right Kanga on which one.

Enjoy Caminha if you are going there, we love the town and albergue.
Safe and healthy way,
D

Oh i think those last 100 km seemed to have been a challenge to many of us ! my 16 year old son and i walked them just before the 25 July this year and the increased amount of people, fresh with little day packs, rushing along and the increased risk of not getting somewhere to sleep took a little time to get used to and some deep breaths and regrouping (internally). We ended up having to walk another 10 km on top of 30 km for the day, because everywhere was full and the sleep option was on the floor of the sports pavilion - which would have been ok but the amount of people starting of in the morning together somewhat scared me. It seemed the pace was changing and we felt utterly privileged to have had the other 670 some km to enjoy a different, peaceful pace - much to be thankful for and so blessed . We also wondered if this influx of people might have been the end of beautiful relationships and conversations but were delighted that in the sudden bustle there was still friends to be made and deep and meaningful moments and conversations to be shared . I did feel arriving in Santiago became less relevant and maybe in a strange way, it made arriving for us and finishing our first camino just a little easier :)
Please don't be robbed of your joy because of someones carelessness - keep looking for the good and precious and treasure that - because we have been blessed to have walked the way
love Erika

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh i think those last 100 km seemed to have been a challenge to many of us ! my 16 year old son and i walked them just before the 25 July this year and the increased amount of people, fresh with little day packs, rushing along and the increased risk of not getting somewhere to sleep took a little time to get used to and some deep breaths and regrouping (internally). We ended up having to walk another 10 km on top of 30 km for the day, because everywhere was full and the sleep option was on the floor of the sports pavilion - which would have been ok but the amount of people starting of in the morning together somewhat scared me. It seemed the pace was changing and we felt utterly privileged to have had the other 670 some km to enjoy a different, peaceful pace - much to be thankful for and so blessed . We also wondered if this influx of people might have been the end of beautiful relationships and conversations but were delighted that in the sudden bustle there was still friends to be made and deep and meaningful moments and conversations to be shared . I did feel arriving in Santiago became less relevant and maybe in a strange way, it made arriving for us and finishing our first camino just a little easier :)
Please don't be robbed of your joy because of someones carelessness - keep looking for the good and precious and treasure that - because we have been blessed to have walked the way
love Erika

Beautifully written Erika,
David

Went to the doctor today and found out that my Hb value was 72. When the values are low I get very tired and is easily irritated. Maybe that is one reason why I reacted as I did.

I have read such comments here many, many times. Are there other places to go through for these final 100 kilometres, other than the Sarria onward route. Having walked 700 km already to reach that point, it might be worth it to add some extra km in order to take a detour to bypass the crowd who seem to be there only "for a good time, not a long time." I'm surprised that a bunch of private homes have not yet banded together to make an alternate route possible.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have read such comments here many, many times. Are there other places to go through for these final 100 kilometres, other than the Sarria onward route. Having walked 700 km already to reach that point, it might be worth it to add some extra km in order to take a detour to bypass the crowd who seem to be there only "for a good time, not a long time." I'm surprised that a bunch of private homes have not yet banded together to make an alternate route possible.

That is why the old timers are now turning left @ Ponferrada [ Invierno] however that is 10 days Brian , too long unless you are repeating.
Book the best with solitude in the last 100.
Small private albergues as minimum to Casa Rurals which are in MMDD
Stay RIGHT AWAY from Brierley 's stages

Last edited:
...and we could keep that route a secret amongst just the few of us who are worthy. Good idea. To get the information about the alternative route, a potential pilgrim going this new way would have to pledge to follow all the rules that we decide make them a proper pilgrim.

We were going to take the alternative route into Santiago from the Norte, joining the Frances at A Rùa instead of Arzua. But by decision time I was ready to join a crowd, so we kept going to Arzua.

It is still very easy to get away from the crowd though. We spotted a sign to a bar just off the route, and as I wanted to use the, ahem, facilities (and the bars on the CF were all so crowded) we followed the signs. 100 metres away it became immediately and instantly deserted. It must have been a whole half a kilometre from the CF to this bar, but we were the only people there. Lovely clean loos too.

€60,-
We were going to take the alternative route into Santiago from the Norte, joining the Frances at A Rùa instead of Arzua. But by decision time I was ready to join a crowd, so we kept going to Arzua.

It is still very easy to get away from the crowd though. We spotted a sign to a bar just off the route, and as I wanted to use the, ahem, facilities (and the bars on the CF were all so crowded) we followed the signs. 100 metres away it became immediately and instantly deserted. It must have been a whole half a kilometre from the CF to this bar, but we were the only people there. Lovely clean loos too.
The crowd on the road it self is easy to avoid. I just pass them in the morning. I walk alone more or less even on the last 100 after the first hour or so. Then you are the first to reach the bars as well :)

That is why the old timers are now turning left @ Ponferrada [ Invierno] however that is 10 days Brian , too long unless you are repeating.
Book the best with solitude in the last 100.
Small private albergues as minimum to Casa Rurals which are in MMDD
Stay RIGHT AWAY from Brierley 's stages
On CP there aren't many options for places to stay on the last 100. Caldas de Reis in 43,68 km from Santiago and you have Padrón after 18 km and then Faramello and Teo at 28 or so (don't have my guidebook so I can't check) and I knew that some would go to Padrón and some to the other places. Of course I could have looked for a casa rual instead but that is was my post was about. Why should I have to seek alternatives. I just wish that I could trust that people are respecting each other. As they have done earlier on the road. But as someone said idiots can gather up even earlier on the road.

On CP there aren't many options for places to stay on the last 100. Caldas de Reis in 43,68 km from Santiago and you have Padrón after 18 km and then Faramello and Teo at 28 or so (don't have my guidebook so I can't check) and I knew that some would go to Padrón and some to the other places. Of course I could have looked for a casa rual instead but that is was my post was about. Why should I have to seek alternatives. I just wish that I could trust that people are respecting each other. As they have done earlier on the road. But as someone said idiots can gather up even earlier on the road.

Hi Beatrice,
I mentioned Ponferrada which is on the CF as the place to turn and do the Camino Invierno
A lovely town calledPontevedra is on the CP.
Sorry if i got onto to Frances,
D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Beatrice,
I mentioned Ponferrada which is on the CF as the place to turn and do the Camino Invierno
A lovely town calledPontevedra is on the CP.
Sorry if i got onto to Frances,
D
But you are missing the point with my post. I don't want to use pension, walk another way etc... that the whole essence of what i wrote. So why should I go somewhere else. Then I can stay home in Sweden and hike the mountains here instead. It will give me as much camino experience as taking unmarked ways and staying in CR.

But you are missing the point with my post. I don't want to use pension, walk another way etc... that the whole essence of what i wrote. So why should I go somewhere else. Then I can stay home in Sweden and hike the mountains here instead. It will give me as much camino experience as taking unmarked ways and staying in CR.

Actually Beatrice the Camino Invierno is very well marked.
I have no intentions of walking the last 100km again unless with friends doing their first camino , not very likely.
On 4 occasions we have ventured into the 100km zone , on the original Frances , the big one from Le Puy, Madrid and also Pamplona.
And also the last 40km when we finished the Norte.
Its just not my go any longer and may i say YOU are very lucky that Pensions and Casa Rurals exist because if they did not your nights might be in the field camping. It gets a bit crowded now.

I'm not telling you to go anywhere but where you wish Beatrice but when you get to the late 60's you could understand my point.

By the way in 2010 in Tui there was a disco next door to the albergue.
One other guy [ Brazil] and myself informed the bouncer on the door that if the noise from the girls fighting NEVER stopped that minute he could be in one.
We all had a good sleep from that time onwards.......the time was 2 am.

400,000 people walk different caminos each year , i would not get too carried away with maybe 10-20 bad experiences per year .
As my kids say ........never complain Dad and never explain.

Listen and just change the word 'sunscreen' into earplugs and all your problems are solved.

Beatrice, I very much empathize with your displeasure at the rude, noisy and thoughtless people you encountered along the way. I think all of us who have walked caminos have similar experiences and similar moments of exasperation at the rudeness of others. Thankfully, it's a miniscule part of the camino. But what's the solution? I'm not trying to discourage people from venting here on the forum, because supporting other pilgrims is a big part of what we do here, and the responses on this thread show that. But when you get right down to it, it's hard to come up with a proposal that will remove the rude people. So it falls back on us -- we have to choose how to respond to the problem, because we are not going to change the behavior of others with a magic pill. I'm not saying that we SHOULD have to figure out how to deal with rude people, but IMO the reality is that we do. Buen camino, Laurie

What peregrina2000 said

The BIGGEST difference i notice on the last 100km......smokers.....everywhere.

I hardly ever see pilgrims smoke while they walk, except in the last 100km. Sooooooo many Spaniards smoke.

Just try to pass a group of smokers. Impossible to avoid their toxic fumes.

Ughh :mad:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Maybe @Dutch , but 100 times better than it was ten years ago. Every bar used to be centimetres deep in discarded butts, the air was so thick you could not see across the room, every adult smoked. There has been a huge transformation in Spanish society.

As with the rubbish. We still see rubbish on the Camino, but that is the walkers. Ten years ago rubbish was everywhere in rural Spain. Everywhere. Now even the littlest hamlet has big industrial bins on the outskirts and residents do actually use them. It is still not perfect, but boy! It really has improved.

Last edited:

sometimes that hotel just around the corner can make all the difference... as for smoking, if there isn't a roof over your head, it's still legal in spain and fortunately or unfortunately smoking is not stigmatised in spain (yet).

sorry your Camino got messed up.

The BIGGEST difference i notice on the last 100km......smokers.....everywhere.

I hardly ever see pilgrims smoke while they walk, except in the last 100km. Sooooooo many Spaniards smoke.

Just try to pass a group of smokers. Impossible to avoid their toxic fumes.

Ughh :mad:

you are guests in their country, and smoking in the open is still OK (and legal) in spain.
i personally do not smoke, but let's not go taliban either...

Not even gonna respond to the "youa re a guest...." What a load of bull.

Do they stop smoking when they come to my country? No!

So if its a group of Koreans playing steamboat Willy in front of me in Spain, it is ok to say?

Damn...now i did just respond

@Kanga very true. It used to be much MUCH worse. The stricked anti smoking law changed alot of things, i favor of non-smokers and health in general.

Thumbs up, i say.

If an evil person hands you a poisonous toad, you don't have to take it from him.
You especially don't have to put it in your pocket and carry it around and show it to everyone, so they can feel the poison, too.
Rotten people ruined your evening, and here you are, still peeved about it, and letting everyone else feel the peeve, too.

Put it down. Walk away.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back