• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Calling all CURRENT hospitaleros!! (Nov 2021)

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portuguese, Aragon, Norte, SJWayUK, Nive
Just wondering who is out there serving on the Camino currently (November 2021) and what the weather and pilgrim numbers look like!

Currently serving at the NEW municipal donativo albergue in Canfranc Pueblo on the Camino Aragones. An amazing place to spend one night as a pilgrim or two weeks as a volunteer. Very quiet as winter has arrived and the Somport Pass has intermittently been closed by snow and high winds. Happy to welcome any nearby pilgrims for a stay or just coffee and a visit. It’s been truly wonderful getting to know the people (and animals!) of the village.

How is it in your albergues?

E43CE46F-B81A-42A7-BF6A-CFD0CF13E590.jpeg73A45DC8-BE23-45EB-9467-3CF1847B8E6C.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I met several hospitaleros who had served at Canfranc while volunteering at the Pilgrim House in Santiago. I just started at the municipal albergue in Nájera two days ago. This is my first time as hospitalero. We had 27 peregrinos my first night then 13 last night. We have 54 bunks but now have 27 available for pilgrims. I am enjoying the work and meeting so many pilgrims from all over the world.

Last edited:
I met several hospitaleros who had served at Canfranc while volunteering at the Pilgrim House in Santiago. I just started at the municipal albergue in Nájera two days ago. This is my first time as hospitalero. We had 27 peregrinos my first night then 13 last night. We have 54 bunks but now have 27 available for pilgrims. I am enjoying the work and meeting so many pilgrims from all over the world.
Well done Bruce. I saw your YouTube interview of a few days ago with the Irish lady pilgrim - very good. The Muni at Najera used to have around 90 beds when I last stayed there in 2019. You say above that there are now only 54 bunks, reduced to 27 for Covid occupancy restrictions. What happened to the other 30-odd bunks?

Good luck to you and Vacajoe.
Cooee

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I asked about the other bunks, the guide books say 90 beds, I was told that the missing bunks had been in the center of the dormitory.
I don’t remember doing any interviews. I’m sure I’d remember.

I asked about the other bunks, the guide books say 90 beds, I was told that the missing bunks had been in the center of the dormitory.
I don’t remember doing any interviews. I’m sure I’d remember.
Bruce, Thanks for the info. I hope that the missing beds will be replaced by next spring.

Have a look at the YouTube blog of ‘TangerineHorizons’ of a few days ago. ‘Logrono to Najera’ - I am only going off your (very small on the iPhone) Avatar, but it looks like you.
Cooee

Bruce, Thanks for the info. I hope that the missing beds will be replaced by next spring.

Have a look at the YouTube blog of ‘TangerineHorizons’ of a few days ago. ‘Logrono to Najera’ - I am only going off your (very small on the iPhone) Avatar, but it looks like you.
Cooee
I don’t know how the hospitaleros took care of the albergue when it had 90 beds and only 4 showers and 4 toilets.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don’t know how the hospitaleros took care of the albergue when it had 90 beds and only 4 showers and 4 toilets.
It all worked out although we did have to manage the cooking in that small kitchen as some groups would take the space over.

It actually was more "luxurious" than Grañón where we had over 60 pilgrims to cook for and only 2 showers. No one ever complained!

Hola! Finishing up at Astorga which is a follow on from Grado on the Primitivo. Would love to help more but the family is indicating they’re getting tired of Her Ladyships unceasing demands. So I must return and take charge of her again. Cats. So particular. 🤣 but it’s been more than six weeks so they may have a point.

I was hospitalera in Nájera for 2 weeks in April 2019. There were 2 of us and, at that time, 90 beds - we were full on most nights. I loved every minute of it & have very fond memories of Nájera. Would love to go back

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Was Najera’s municipal only ever 90 beds? I’d swear when I was there in 2013 that there were a couple hundred people in that room.

I was hospitalera in Nájera for 2 weeks in April 2019. There were 2 of us and, at that time, 90 beds - we were full on most nights. I loved every minute of it & have very fond memories of Nájera. Would love to go back
I too have fond memories of Najera when I stayed there on April 23, 2016. Were you there then too? (Oops, wrong year) It was my second time staying there. A lot of pilgrim friends to share with. They had the middle bunks taped off. Perhaps because it was early season? We had the best dinner that night. A fellow pilgrim made a huge pot pasta bolognese.
1B36859E-199F-4825-9580-4AF0A965F799.jpegCFA22749-EE4C-4CB8-9CAE-E00E50F7C0F2.jpeg
My first time was Sept of 2013 on my first Camino. I have no pictures of that time but I recall it being full. I shared the washing machine with a fellow pilgrim who became part of my Camino family. A few of my pilgrim friends slept out on the tables because it was so hot and noisy in the dorm. 😂 Good times, great memories.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I too have fond memories of Najera when I stayed there on April 23, 2019. Were you there then too? It was my second time staying there. A lot of pilgrim friends to share with. They had the middle bunks taped off. Perhaps because it was early season? We had the best dinner that night. A fellow pilgrim made a huge pot pasta bolognese.
View attachment 113410View attachment 113411
My first time was Sept of 2013 on my first Camino. I have no pictures of that time but I recall it being full. I shared the washing machine with a fellow pilgrim who became part of my Camino family. A few of my pilgrim friends slept out on the tables because it was so hot and noisy in the dorm. 😂 Good times, great memories.
Great photos, thanks for posting them!
The albergue must have been remodeled since then as the entrance is now near the other end on the south side. The arched entrance is no more. I wasn’t aware there had been one at the end of the building. We now have red sheets on all the bunks, even though only the lowers are in use.

Attachments

• 32EF2E24-B22D-4E34-BBBB-269048E876F6.jpeg
    32EF2E24-B22D-4E34-BBBB-269048E876F6.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 52
Great photos, thanks for posting them!
The albergue must have been remodeled since then as the entrance is now near the other end on the south side. The arched entrance is no more. I wasn’t aware there had been one at the end of the building. We now have red sheets on all the bunks, even though only the lowers are in use.
Hi, I made a mistake on the year. I was last there in 2016, not 2019. Here’s an aerial view and a street view. If you look to the far left on the street view you’ll see an open door. I believe this was the entrance, beyond this door is a narrow room with the shelves for shoes, a barrel for sticks and the washer/dryer/sink. Then another doorway leading to the large tables and I believe straight ahead was the counter to check in. Do you know this green door? Perhaps I should take a little walk and come see for myself. LOL
AB9EA5EF-5B02-4F10-B9B4-82AB996E0864.jpeg EBF89D74-1EE8-4C37-9057-BDBAE8CA7A4E.jpeg
I’m interested in becoming a host, how did you go about become a hospitalerio? How’s it going so far? 😁

Last edited:
Serving at Nájera with Bruce and AlbertaGirl, I just noticed this thread.
We only had 4 pilgrims tonight, it’s getting chilly out there. The work is light, my companions are nice, and we get to explore the area when the pilgrims have left for the day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We only had 4 pilgrims tonight, it’s getting chilly out there. The work is light, my companions are nice, and we get to explore the area when the pilgrims have left for the day.
Greetings to you all!
Najera holds a special place in my heart. I had fallen coming out of Logroño, and my face was a mess - it looked like I'd lost a fight, and it felt that way too. It was March, so there weren't crowds, and the (old) albergue was spacious and comfortable. In the morning, one of the hospis took me aside and told me each day he chose a pilgrim to give a pin to, and that day I was his choice. I suppose he just felt sorry for me, but I was really touched. He called me valiente. Not. I'm just stubborn - and old enough to know complaining is useless.
And I still have that pin.

I took the hospitalero training just over 2 years ago in Sebastopol California through APOC. When I thought I would be able to travel in Sept 2021 I contacted Rebeca Scott, who coordinates the volunteers for several Albergues in Spain, for a placement during the time I would be available.
I have experienced the full spectrum of emotions while serving as a hospitalero, I would and will do it again.
Contact APOC or your country’s Comino society for training, it is usually a long weekend, and possible albergues for placement. There is usually a training during the annual APOC meeting in the states.

I have one full day left. I have many mixed emotions about the end of my time here. I am sad and happy to leave, wishing I could do more, glad to be finished and overall very satisfied with the experience.

Hi, I made a mistake on the year. I was last there in 2016, not 2019. Here’s an aerial view and a street view. If you look to the far left on the street view you’ll see an open door. I believe this was the entrance, beyond this door is a narrow room with the shelves for shoes, a barrel for sticks and the washer/dryer/sink. Then another doorway leading to the large tables and I believe straight ahead was the counter to check in. Do you know this green door? Perhaps I should take a little walk and come see for myself. LOL
View attachment 113543 View attachment 113552
I’m interested in becoming a host, how did you go about become a hospitalerio? How’s it going so far? 😁
FourSeasons - I also made a mistake on the date 😔 I was there in April 2018. All the beds were open and there were red/burgundy coloured sheets

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

€60,-
I am currently serving in Grañòn for the last half of November with my Italian partner Angelo. We have opened the albergue (San Juan Bautista) behind the church and up the bell tower stairs for the first time in 20 months. (The Rioja was hit hard by Covid and the majority of the 300 townsfolk are elderly).
We have had some great groups of singing pilgrims in the church's coro as around the dinner table.

I am currently serving in Grañòn for the last half of November with my Italian partner Angelo. We have opened the albergue (San Juan Bautista) behind the church and up the bell tower stairs for the first time in 20 months. (The Rioja was hit hard by Covid and the majority of the 300 townsfolk are elderly).
We have had some great groups of singing pilgrims in the church's coro as around the dinner table.
Well done, Tom. I was a very poor attender of the singalongs, but I really appreciated all the work and commitment you and the others put into them. May you have plenty of pilgrims to sing with these days!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Tom, I was having a coffee near the COVID test center at Madrid airport yesterday, while waiting for my results, when a vaguely familiar pilgrim walked over to my table. He said “Hello Tom.” It was Neil from New York. He had stayed with us the night before he stayed in Grañon. I never thought I’d see any of our peregrinos again.

For the record: FICS (Fraternidad Internacional del Camino de Santiago) took over the running of Albergue Municipal de Najera in 2021. It now has 48 beds divided into pods of 4, a cleaner and brighter aspect, and some of the finest hospitaleros in the world. It still has only two toilets and two showers per gender, but the ayuntamiento seems to think that's enough. You can use the kitchen, it is fully equipped, if you clean up after yourself. It costs 6 euro minimum to stay there. Pilgrims really seem to like the place nowadays!

For the record: FICS (Fraternidad Internacional del Camino de Santiago) took over the running of Albergue Municipal de Najera in 2021. It now has 48 beds divided into pods of 4, a cleaner and brighter aspect, and some of the finest hospitaleros in the world. It still has only two toilets and two showers per gender, but the ayuntamiento seems to think that's enough. You can use the kitchen, it is fully equipped, if you clean up after yourself. It costs 6 euro minimum to stay there. Pilgrims really seem to like the place nowadays!I
I served there last November(2021). One of the biggest concerns among the peregrinos and the hospiteleros was the lack of WiFi connectivity, I hope the ayuntamiento saw fit to include a WiFi connection in the improvements.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Other albergues have no wifi (Grañón) and have plenty of guests every night. There are other albergues in Najera with wifi.

Hola santos y santas de Nájera...Found this thread and grateful for all your posts and remembrances. Looking forward to serving in November. I've pm'ed a couple of you about your experiences; if anyone else wants to chime in with theirs, please send me a pm! Buen camino y bendigas a todos...Ana
PS I was actually looking forward to no wifi in the albergue but will somehow cope...:D

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.