• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Calling all Midwesterners

peregrina2000

Staff member
Just like Annie, I would love to meet anyone who might be interested in a get together or meeting for prospective pilgrims. I'm in downstate Illinois, about 120 miles south of Chicago, but am usually in Chicago at least once a month.

I've walked the Frances from Roncesvalles three times, from LePuy to Santiago in 3 chunks, the Norte, the Primitivo, the Salvador, the Vdlp, the Ingles, and the Portugues from Lisbon to Porto and from Tui to Santiago. I am planning to walk in May 2011. And yes, this list confirms that I am indeed a sick-o camino junkie.

Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm in. My wife and I returned from the Camino Portugues in September this year. We have wanderlusted about our next Camino (she wants to do the Camino Frances, I want to do the Via la Plata). We are in Indy so Chicago isn't too far. I'd be curious to see if anyone else is interested in meeting.

Cheers

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi--I'm in Omaha and planning to walk my first Camino (Frances) in May and June next year. Unfortunately, since I'm a pastor, my schedule is just the opposite of most peoples and I don't have weekends. But I still I might be able to make it to Chicago for a Saturday get-together.

Buen Camino
Rene

Greetings! I live in Louisville, KY, which is not so far from Indy. Perhaps there is a more central place than Chicago for this group to meet? Regardless of location, I would very much like to meet other peregrinos. Keep me posted!

Pat

peregrina2000 said:
... we'll have a critical mass.

No pun intended I take it...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ha -- Unfortunately, we midwesterners are way too dull and unimaginative to come up with puns like that. :roll:

Thanks to the others who have responded. I will keep track of who's around, and maybe by pushing the post up to the top every now and then, we'll get a bigger list.

Buen camino a todos, Laurie

Hello all:

I am from Chicago and planning to walk the Camino Frances in March 2011 leaving from SJPdP. I am open to getting together with other Camino addicts in Chicago or another location in the region.

Joe Flavin

I am a California-transplant living in Chicago right now to go to college (and hopefully living in Chicago after college too).

I am planning on walking the camino frances starting in SJPdP this summer starting around the beginning of July after I graduate. I am planning on going to Barcelona for a week before starting to walk.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
July 7 through 14 is the festival of San Fermin in Pamplona. There are no accommodations, so plan to stop well before Pamplona, or walk through to Cizur Menor. Since all the other pilgrims will be doing the same, bed space will be difficult. Welcome to the Forum, and have fun!

My son and I are planning to do the Camino Ingles in September, our first. I would be interested in meeting with others. I attended the American Pilgrims on the Camino's annual gathering in March in Santa Barbara. I learned a lot by talking with those who already walked the Camino, and I noticed the veterans enjoyed sharing their experiences. The program and panels were excellent. Their next meeting is in Winter Park FL in March 2012. That association is interested in developing regional groups and has some on the West Coast and Denver. Anyone with advice on the Camino Ingles, please share.

Hi......I'm Indyrem (Remy from Indianapolis).I'm a retired grandmother & I'm starting my ist Camino at SJPP on May 15, 2013 together with my best friend- Nilda, also a retired grandmother. We would love to get together sometime & share our experience with everyone especially our fellow midwesterners.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, I was the one who first threw this out in 2010. If there is enough interest, and people in Chicago who could help us out, we could organize an informal GTG somewhere in the city. What do people think?

(I'd be happy to host something in my own little place, and could easily get us a meeting spot, but Chicago is probably home to more pilgrims and more convenient for the most people).

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Remy,
(I actually have a friend here by the very same name). My husband and I will be leaving SJPP on the same day you will be if all goes well. I am certain that we should see each other there. Would be nice to meet you. I live in Idaho, but grew up in Indiana, quite the conincidence. Hope to see you there.
Buen Camino,
Nikki

Hi.

Oh, I was just in Indy this past weekend! (GO BADGERS!) I live just outside of Madison, Wisconsin, and have Chicago connections. I work a lot with the Tourist Office of Spain for my travel writing, and they have an office in Chicago. I might be able to set something up where we could not only talk about all things Camino there, but have some Spanish folks on hand who could address other issues and/or simply lend some local flavor (and maybe tapas, too!).

Laurie, if you think there are enough of us now to meet, maybe we could set a date a few months out and I can see what the Tourism folks might be able to do ...

Melanie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, Melanie, What a great idea! so, how many of us are there who would commit to coming to Chicago for a Saturday afternoon meeting? What should our proposed date be? I know winter in Chicago can be iffy, but if we push too far into spring, people will be leaving for the Camino. Would a day in January or February be too risky?

Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie:

I started a Camino group in Houston just about a year ago. We started with 3 people I found by doing a few google searches and now we have grown to 90 people on our mailing list. Build it and they will come!

The good folk at American Pilgrims on the Camino were very helpful. They were able to send out infomation for a gathering to all those with a Houston area zipcode that had received their credential from the organization. If you are interested, you can become an official APOC chapter. We decided to go for it and we are supported by the APOC website. I probobly get at least an email a week from the site.

It's been really incredible meeting other pilgrims and pilgrim want to be's in my own city. We generally have a quarterly event....pot lucks, happy hours, picnic. Very casual and laid-back.

Best of luck and let me know if I can do anything to help.

Jeff

Hi - My name is ReAnn. I live in Chicago and am planning to walk the Camino Fall 2013 or Spring 2014. I would certainly love to meet with others who are also planning this great adventure or who have walked already and are willing to share their experiences with us. I have connected via this forum with 2 locals whom I'm planning to meet-up with in the next week or so - but the more the merrier. I think learning from and helping each other make sure we have a successful walk is one main reasons and great results of this forum. I'll be more than happy to help plan a Chicago get-together.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi ReAnn............I'm Indyrem (Remy from Indianapolis). Hopefully & God willing I will be done with my Camino by the time you start yours. My friend and I will start @ SJPP on May 15 & after our Camino de Santiago (again God willing) we will then train to Fatima and Lourdes then take the night train to Prague. We should be flying back to the Indianapolis on July 6th. We would like to experience spending 4th of July at the ambassador's residence in London (this, as far as I know is open to all Americans). I'm still inquiring about 4th of July festivities in Madrid as we will be flying out of Madrid. I hope to keep in touch with you so I can share my Camino experience with you. I have e-mailed Ivar regarding a small luggage I will mail to from Madrid to his office in Santiago (for clean clothes, shoes etc I will need for Fatima, Lourdes and Prague). He said he will get all the info out by the end of the year for everyone. But he already told me he will keep my luggage for 60 days. Santiago Post office i think will only keep them for a shorter period (15 days, 2 weeks?)

Buen Camino

Hello fellow mid-westerners! I'm Susan hopes and I have been planning a camino off-and-on for 14 years. I haven't gone yet due to working full time and raising a family, but I've set a goal for myself to get over there within the next two years.

I would be absolutely thrilled to meet with pilgrims in the Chicagoland area. I am in the northwest suburbs and would be happy to host weekend guests.

I have many questions ... hope to see you soon!

Hi ... count me in whenever there's a get together for past and future peregrinos. I'm sure tips and advice from past peregrinos like Laurie,etc would be heaven sent. And Melanie ... I thought I read somewhere that one can request for Pilgrim's passport /credential from the Spanish tourism office that way one does not have to get it from the tourist office in SJPP. Can you PM me the email/address/ph # for the Spanish Tourism office in Chicago? Thank you and Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
HI all - my wife and I are planning on walking CF tentatively Aug 15, 2013 - end of September. We would be interested in meeting with others. We are about one hour outside Chicago so a meeting is possible.
Dale & Arlene

To all fellow Mid-westerners:

I am willing to attend this type of a meeting in Chicago or other Mid-western city. It would be interesting to talk to other Mid-westerners who have walked a Camino and those who are inspired to walk one in the near future.

Ultreya,
Joe

Fellow Midwesterners - Joe and I have planned a mini meet-up next week and we can discuss when (I'm thinking end of January, first of February if the weather plays nice-nice) This would be in plenty of time for those who are planning an early Spring walk to get their questions answered and for us who are walking at a later date to compile our list of questions. There are so many downtown locations to meet on Saturday afternoon - maybe a nice bar/restaurant with a back room where we could congregate and chat without interference? Will come up with a suggestion and date next week and get back to you all.

Ho Ho Ho

ReAnn

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ok, it sounds like we are gaining momentum. I would be happy to contact the American camino group to see if they'd be willing to help the way Jeff described in his post about Houston. Melanie had some ideas about the Spanish tourist office and is in the process of contacting them. I agree, ReAnn that we should do something in Jan/Feb and just hope the weather gods play nice. Let us know what you and Joe decide, though I think Joe won't be around in those months anyway.

Laurie:

I think you have a good idea in taking the approach Jeff took in Houston. Why not try a model that is proven versus re-inventing the wheel. The added connection Melanie has with the Spanish tourist office is another valuable contact.

I will not be able to participate in a Winter meeting but if I can help in any way, please feel free to just ask.

Joe

I'd love to attend as well. I live in Chicago. I finished my first Camino (CF) in October 2012. I walked from SJPP to Santiago and on to Muxia and Finisterre. What a great experience. I'd love to talk with others and happy to share my experience as well.

Dan
Blog: http://www.danscaminotravels.wordpress.com

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi.

My tourism contact suggests we go to a place called Pintxo at 737 N. LaSalle (the top floor of Cafe Iberico). Pintxo (PEEN cho), by the way, is the Basque word for tapas. She said they have an upstairs room we could reserve than can hold at least 2 dozen people, and the chef is Galician. Being the weekend, she hasn't spoken to anyone else on her staff yet. But she's going to tell Jorge, the office director from Spain, next week, and see if they'd be interested in joining us or doing anything.

Melanie

An update for anyone who might be interested in this informal gathering. Melanie and I (mainly Melanie) are working on venue and date, and we will post soon with proposed details.

Hoping that there are lots of us in the Chicago area who will join once we get this group going.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi,
Deborah here. I'm the Coordinator for the Orlando group of Americans on the Camino, but I'm spending my winter in Nebraska. I'll be traveling around the Midwest (Denver, Chicago, Omaha and Kansas City) if anyone wants to meet up.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Deborah - would love to meet you. I'm out of town until 1/18, but anytime after that would be great - as I am sure the others would agree.

I am currently working in Dayton, OH until February (kind of a gypsy, the TINO in my screen name stands for Texan In Name Only). My dad and I are starting the CF in Pamplona March 21. Would be interested in Chicago meeting.

There actually might be a chance for a Chicago meet-up in February. I'm talking to some of my Chicago friends and it might be a weekend of "meet-ups" for me. I just have to find a weekend my friend's couch is free. I'll keep you all posted.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I live in Northern Chicagoland and have walked the Camino Frances 3 times. I now want to walk other routes. Would love to meet other Camino people to share my experiences and hear about theirs. Please let me know about any future meet ups.

FYI, Laurie posted a note about a meeting we've got scheduled for Midwestern peregrinos at the REI in Schaumburg (Chicago). It's under a new heading -- oops, now I can't see the exact wording -- but it's something like Meeting in Chicago.

Melanie

Hi, everyone,

Here is a link to the message about the meeting set for the Chicago area. Thanks to Melanie for doing all the work on getting the room. REI has a meeting room that groups can use, and we were lucky enough to find an opening. They will of course be happy to give advice on equipment before or after our get together, but as you know, they're a pretty soft sell.

In case, for some reason, people haven't seen the other post:

north-america/topic16377.html

If you plan to attend, step forward and make yourself known!

Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Did you ever get a group going with the Chicago area? Would you be interested in working on creating a Wisconsin group? I am north of Madison by Eau Claire but willing to travel to get something started in WI!

Hi, berta,
A Chicago chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino was formed recently, I think they've met twice now. I will try to get up to an occasional meeting but it's too far for a regular commitment for either of us, don't you think?

APOC will put you in touch with the Chicago group if you email them (address on their website). They can also tell you if there are many members in your area in case you want to start something.

You should PM Melanie, who posted on this thread -- she's in Wisconsin. Buen camino, Laurie

I live near Des Moines, IA and am looking for other pilgrims in the area. I'll be walking my first camino summer 2015.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My wife and I are planning our pilgrimage for May 2015. We are planning to the portion of the Del Norte from Vilalba to Santiago. We would be interested in hearing from anyone who has done this portion of the Comino. Eg. Places of interest, how you handled previsions/food, equipment recommendations. We are from Salem Missouri so if you are near us we would love to meet you. My Email is: 19ranger84@gmail.com

Buen camino, 2sassytravelers

Hello fellow Midwesterners! I just joined the Chicago Chapter of the APOC and have hiked with them twice. They are a great group and I am very pleased to have met such supportive new friends. I am leaving for my camino on June 3 and will probably start walking on June 6, 2014. If you go to www.Americanpilgrims.com, click on the tab that says "local chapters," then on the line indicated "Chicago, Illinois," you will be sent to the Chicago Chapter page. You should see a list of events and an email address where you can request to join. Perhaps I will meet you when I return from the camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

This may seem petty since the actual donation cost was minimal, but in February 2024, I sent some money to American Pilgrims (americanpilgrims.org) for two credentials in advance of an April 2024...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back