• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Calling All Spaniards

Time of past OR future Camino
planning for spring 2018
Hi my friend and I live in Sacramento California but my friend, I call him Hombre, grew up in Madrid Spain and I am trying to talk him into doing the Camino Frances, but he keeps on obsessing about bedbugs and people snoring and farting in the Alberges and saying that he can't do it because of that. We go hiking here in Northern California all the time and he is a strong hiker. I tell him, dude it's your home country , just do the Camino. His aunt in Barcelona even said she would pay his air fair and all his Spanish relatives want him to do it also. Even his Spanish mother and his wife want him to do it. So I'm hoping that some Spaniards could come on the forum and try to talk him into it. AND USE SPANISH! I will show him the posts and maybe that will convince him.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Unusual notion to me to talk someone into doing something they don't want to do. People tend to walk the Camino for themselves, not for someone else. Maybe the people that want him to do it, should do it themselves first?

Last edited:
Hola, dile a tu "Hombre" que parece que no se ha criado en Madrid. ¿Miedo a las chinches, ronquidos , pedos? Vamos hombre, no digas eso. Es parte del Camino, y siempre lo recordarás como una de las partes mas jocosas del mismo.
Te puedo asegurar que si lo haces, no te arrepentirás en la vida de ello.
Te espero en Pamplona para cuando pases por aquí. Nos haremos unas risas juntos, y nos echaremos unos potes por lo viejo.
¡Que no se diga!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi my friend and I live in Sacramento California but my friend, I call him Hombre, grew up in Madrid Spain and I am trying to talk him into doing the Camino Frances, but he keeps on obsessing about bedbugs and people snoring and farting in the Alberges and saying that he can't do it because of that. We go hiking here in Northern California all the time and he is a strong hiker. I tell him, dude it's your home country , just do the Camino. His aunt in Barcelona even said she would pay his air fair and all his Spanish relatives want him to do it also. Even his Spanish mother and his wife want him to do it. So I'm hoping that some Spaniards could come on the forum and try to talk him into it. AND USE SPANISH! I will show him the posts and maybe that will convince him.
Why convince him??
It's never a good idea to try some one to do something against his will.
When it his time to walk the Camino he wil decide it. Not some one else.

Wish you well,Peter.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Venga Hombre, no seas cobardica. Yo he hecho varios Caminos, he sido hospitalero en varios albergues y jamas he sido picado por chinches ni he visto una viva en el Camino. Pedos, ronquidos, pies malholientes... Si has ido alguna vez a un refugio de montaña, es mucho peor alli. Unos buenos tapones de oidos y solucionado. Te aseguro que ninguna experiencia que hayas tenido anteriormente es igual a esta. Te marca como un hierro al rojo y te engancha como una droga, Por algo será que somos tantos los que volvemos una y otra vez.

No es asunto mio ni tuyo, decirle a alguien que debe caminar el camino. No es sólo un paseo, es una decisión muy importante, personal. Ser español no es una buena razón para caminar, ya sea - el Camino no pertenece a España!
Deje que su amigo tome su propia decisión. ¡Mientras tanto, camine usted mismo!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@formerly multipurpose, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
One thing to consider is this: if he sincerely doesn't want to walk, but ends up giving in to everyone's pressure he will probably have a crummy time. And I guarantee he'll be crummy company. Do you really want to do that to him, your friendship, and yourself?

You're going to allow me to use Spanish to be able to express well what I want to say.

Por lo que yo entiendo, y perdonar mi desconocimiento de los matices de la lengua inglesa, el escrito de "formerly" tiene un ligero tono de humor, y bastante familiaridad para con "Hombre". Parece ser que él es un buen hiker y no tiene problemas para hacer duras jornadas de excursionismo.
Su único "problema" son los inconvenientes de la vida en "sociedad". Jajajajaja:)
El Camino de Santiago, no tengo la menor duda, tiene para la mayoría de nosotros un gran componente "Espiritual" pero eso no significa que otras personas ¿También peregrinos? lo hagan por otros motivos; deportivos, culturales, etc. Y no por eso los debemos de tener en menor consideración.
No caigamos en la arrogancia de otorgarnos nosotros mismos el marchamo de "autenticidad"
Por supuesto que "Hombre" hará el Camino si así lo desea independientemente de lo que digamos los demás. Pero que duda cabe que muchas situaciones en la vida solo necesitan un ligero empujón par que se hagan. Estaréis conmigo que a veces nos gusta hacernos rogar un poco.
Y nadas más por el momento.
Anímate "Hombre".

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
What I understand about Formerly´s post is that his friend, is afraid about bedbugs, "nigth songs" and privacity. What I´m doing is trying to ease him about those disconforms. I assume this man, "Hombre" is old and wise enougth to choose what he want to do or not. I assume too their frienship is strong enougth to endure a simple "I don´t want to walk the Camino, thats all". I assume too Formerly´s post had a bit of humour on it. And specially assume only him and his friend really knows the degree of confidence their relacionship have and can or can´t hold. This is their problem not ours.
If someone ask for help in this forum, I think the rigth thing is to give him what he request, the best way we can. The succes or failure of his actions is just his thing,
Maybe this way of thinking is what make us locals so helpfull in the Camino and make the difference between the Camino on Spain and the Camino on other countryes, I can´t be impartial about this o_O
Maybe is a cultural thing, we don´t usually care others intentios in advance. And older ones neither care about political correctness. ;)

Buen Camino to you, honest people.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back