• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Calling all Techies ... re: Travel Adapter with USB ports?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Am I on the right track with this choice of adaptor? I am soo technically challenged.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00WWH8BRS/?tag=santiagodec0b-20
That picture looks like a UK plug this is all you need to convert to USA plug to everywhere in Europe except the UK. The electric current is 220 volt so if you have things like a hairdryer or curling iron it will need an additional converter to downgrade the voltage to 110. All electrical things like a computers, smart phone, laptop can be charged at 110 or 220 volt.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 4.04.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 4.04.10 PM.png
    320.2 KB · Views: 24
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Oh no, both way too much. Your electronics don't need an "convertor" which changes the power levels, they'll do that automatically (assuming it is for electronics that you need this). All you need is the bit on the end (a plug adaptor) to change the prongs over to fit into the two round European outlets. A basic one will do, or if you have multiple electronics, or to share the outlet, try something like this: http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00HK8Z956/?tag=santiagodec0b-20

You only need the small adapter with round pins, such as @shubertj showed in the picture. You can plug in whatever USB charger you use at home (bring duct tape to attach them together, as it is easy to pull one out without the other, and leave it behind). Or, you could buy a European USB charger in Spain and use your regular USB cable.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Depending upon from where you live and bought your iPhone, you should have a charger with some pins on one side and a USB on the other. This charger should be able to plug into an adapter which fits Spanish outlets. You can buy such adapter at most hardware stores in Spain, and a simple one costs less than 1 Euro.;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is easy to buy a plug in Europe. USB outputs are universal so there is no need to use a converter from your own plug. Your albergue mates will love you if you can find one with two or more usb outlets - some albergues have a shortage of power points. I bought one with two USB outlets from a small store off the Plaza Mayor in Burgos for about 4 euros. They are available pretty much everywhere - I've even seen them in supermarkets (although the multiple outlet ones are less common).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am only wanting to charge my iPhone and a Garmin wristband which both have USB cables. I have ordered the one below, f anyone thinks it is a bad choice please let me know so I can explore something else. Thanks
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151930677286?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=451112414819&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
It will work fine. It is relatively light and has two 2.5 amp usb plugs - which is pretty nice. The lighter, cheaper ones often provide less current and take much longer to charge your devices.

If you are going through Paris you can buy one almost anywhere for a couple of euro. Mine burnt out in a small village about 12 days out of Le Puy. The replacement cost me 20 euro. Its called supply and demand.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for your help. I appreciate it much. Live in Canada and having trouble finding a good quality plug that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Think I will go with this one as suggested by Alipilgrim. Wish I could have found one with a built in usb, but perhaps simpler to bring the one that came with my iPhone.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00HK8Z956/?tag=santiagodec0b-20

EDITED

Most electronic devices have a built in universal power adapter which means they can work anywhere.

What you need is a simple plug adapter, ideally a couple in case you leave one in the wall socket which I have done leaving first thing in the morning
(get white since they are easier to see)
You can buy these at your local dollar store for next to nothing. I always carry a few plug adapters

With respect to adapters with USB, make sure the rating is for 10 or 12 Watt (the white Apple adapter that comes with your iPhone is ideal).

http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/questi...ug-durability-compatibility/QU29YUP4TTYK4UDX2

Many of the 3rd party combo plug/power kit units are only rated at 5 Watt for the USB which in some cases you can charge your iPhone (slowly) but not your iPad.

Last edited:
Another little tip

If you take the white square 12 amp power adapter and you leave behind all your european plug adapters you can buy an Apple EU plug adapter that will insert into the white adapter itself. Most Spanish Apple shops should be able to sell you one

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This one looks great, but as is the case with many great things, does not ship to Canada! Are they readily available in stores on your side of the border? If so, it would be worth the trip. I'd be crossing into New York, probably.
I bought it from Amazon, not sure if they ship to you. Maybe from the product's website?

Another little tip

If you take the white square 12 amp power adapter and you leave behind all your european plug adapters you can buy an Apple EU plug adapter that will insert into the white adapter itself. Most Spanish Apple shops should be able to sell you one

Thank you so much for your tips ... :)

Here's the one I have, figured I could share the ports as I'm just charging my iphone:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVKR92Y/?tag=casaivar02-20
That looks very nice, and the fact that others may plug into the spare USB ports that you aren't using will help you make friends at the albergues. Of course it could help you make enemies, too, if you unplug and stow it away when your phone or other devices are charged and theirs are left unplugged with an incomplete charge. :eek:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Either buy in Europe or go to Amazon.fr and search 'chargers usb' and take your choice. Coming from France it will have European two pin. Anker do a nice one with two USB ports which are 'intelligent' so charge at the appropriate rate for each device. You shouldn't need more than two ports at once or one for you and one to share.
Ultreïa

I bought it from Amazon, not sure if they ship to you. Maybe from the product's website?
Amazon.com had it on sale for $19.99 but they don't ship that item to Canada. Amazon.ca wanted $149! Finally found one on eBay for $45
USD.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it much. Live in Canada and having trouble finding a good quality plug that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Think I will go with this one as suggested by Alipilgrim. Wish I could have found one with a built in usb, but perhaps simpler to bring the one that came with my iPhone.

What are you planning to use this with? Surely not your hair dryer :rolleyes:. Do you really need a standard plug?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm not at all gadget-savvy. I just want to be able to charge my iPhone 5 and perhaps (undecided) a mini tablet.

If that is all you need to charge, then take one white 12 Watt USB power adapter that comes with the iPhone or iPad mini and a couple of European style ( two round prongs ), the latter you can buy for a couple of bucks at the local dollar store.

The iPhone or iPad mini will charge up quickly so you rotate each evening which device to charge using the one adapter.

The extra plug adapter is just in case you leave one accidently behind.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I know, whilst on pilgrimage across Spain their isn't always enough sun, I still like to use a solar power supply. Actually, the gadgets produce under good light, not necessarily full sun. For $ 22 it saves struggling with other pilgrims for attachment in an albergue which has Murphy's law outlets.
The link is an example, not publicity for this particular solar charger.:cool:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016ZELVCA/?tag=casaivar02-20

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

This one looks a lot better than your ebay find! These things are often built cheaply, I used one in the UK recently and it broke. I purchased replacement plug charger with usb port at local UK shop for cheap.
If you decide to buy dual usb charger I really like this one, but then you would still need EU adapter. It has Output: DC 5v/4.8A(each 2.4A max) EACH usb port is 2.4A, the ebay one was not, contrary to other responses. I have been using it for a while, it is well built, doesn't get hot, and charges my devices really fast. It's weird - so hard to search for these things!

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00OQ1I2C2/?tag=santiagodec0b-20

Janice

Hold it: this ravpower, as far as I can see from the picture, still has a two pin plug which will not fit in Spain unless you buy an additional adapter in a local hardware store (40 cents, btw).:D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hold it: this ravpower, as far as I can see from the picture, still has a two pin plug which will not fit in Spain unless you buy an additional adapter in a local hardware store (40 cents, btw).:D
That's what is said in the text...

This one looks good - dont buy too cheap you may regret it. If decide to get dual usb charger, instead of iPhone plug then look at RavPower as I mentioned above, each usb has has 2.4A for total 4.8A. It will charge fast and safely. You can use it at home. (who doesn't need more usb chargers!) In many albergues there were lines to use electrical outlets! You can charge two devices at once at 2.4A and get out of the line faster. If you take iPad AND iPhone you will need higher Output, unless you want to spend hours charging your devices. It weighs 80 grams , prongs fold flat.
Buen Camino
Janice

You only need the small adapter with round pins, such as @shubertj showed in the picture. You can plug in whatever USB charger you use at home (bring duct tape to attach them together, as it is easy to pull one out without the other, and leave it behind). Or, you could buy a European USB charger in Spain and use your regular USB cable.
So, I'm walking in September and if I understand you correctly, I can use the high speed Samsung charger I use at home for my S6 edge+ and only need to buy the plug adapter and not a separate charger?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So, I'm walking in September and if I understand you correctly, I can use the high speed Samsung charger I use at home for my S6 edge+ and only need to buy the plug adapter and not a separate charger?
Yes, just bring your fast charger and USB cable and buy EU plug type C, such as this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007YL84VA/?tag=casaivar02-20

Some folks buy plug and USB combined, but if you do that, check the specs on plug and make sure it matches the specs are on your Samsung usb plug, otherwise it will not be a fast charger.

Janice

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVKR92Y/?tag=casaivar02-20
This is the one I'm planning to take. Love that it has a few extra spaces to share . Also I'm planning to take a 15 feet usb cable and my electronics all charge with this.

I looked for that one too, but didn't find it. I bought something similar, hope it works! I noticed once I bought it that the chargers are each different. Oh well. Since it's the second one I bought, I'm not going to bother looking for something else!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.