• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Calling Aussies!

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Could anyone tell me if Wildfire is a reputable company?
This morning I tried my first ever Altra Lone Peaks and I was impressed enough to want to try them (in the absence of Keen Newports for women). The store had the alpine version in my size which felt perfect, and the standard “6” version only in a half size too big. Looking at reviews, the standard version seems to be more durable and so I had a squiz online. Wildfire came up and they offer free shipping to NZ which is pretty impressive. The shoes are $290 here, but would only be $205 from Wildfire. That said, it’s a lot of money to lose if they are a dodgy outfit!
Any advice/warnings/encouragements?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I haven't been online looking for footwear for a few years but hadn't heard of them before. That's possibly not surprising considering they're in Qld & I'm in Tassie. However I would be encouraged due to them actually having a physical store so... 🤷‍♀️
Only 3 reviews on Trust Pilot, nothing recent...which could be a good thing as it shows they've been around for awhile...covering the gamut of opinions; 1 rave, 1 middle ground, 1 bad...
Edited to add; Google reviews more positive but could be skewed.
Unless someone more local or with direct experience responds, I guess it will come down to your risk threshold!
👣🌏

Last edited:
Hi there @Kiwi-family

I haven’t dealt with Wild Fire but I have bought from Wildearth, also based in Queensland. They also stock Altra Lone Peak but don’t know if they have the one you are looking for. They have regular specials, I.e. good prices.

I’ve made about 3-4 online purchases and one item that I had to return was dealt with quickly and with no problems. They have a large physical store, which for some reason gives me comfort when buying online.

Best wishes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have purchased direct from the store and found them very professional. No experience with the online platform though. Very popular with the local trail running community I believe. Hope this helps.

I can also vouch for Wild Earth stores.

Thanks guys, that's really helpful. One of my sons just moved to the Gold Coast late last year and could pop to Brisbane to check them out for me, but I'm happy to take your recommendations. I'll look at Wild Earth too.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm a keen online window shopper and have not heard of Wildfire, but I have bought from Wild Earth, with no problems.

I’ve recently bought 2 items from Wildfire online. One not suitable and returned it for a credit.
Used the credit to get my injinji liner sock set…. No problems at all.
In the past I’ve bought a backpack and sleeping bag online…. Great service.
Oh and also runners which I returned without a problem too

This morning I tried my first ever Altra Lone Peaks and I was impressed enough to want to try them (in the absence of Keen Newports for women). The store had the alpine version in my size which felt perfect, and the standard “6” version only in a half size too big. Looking at reviews, the standard version seems to be more durable and so I had a squiz online. Wildfire came up and they offer free shipping to NZ which is pretty impressive. The shoes are $290 here, but would only be $205 from Wildfire. That said, it’s a lot of money to lose if they are a dodgy outfit!
I have purchased Altra Olympus 4 from Wildfire and received them in good time and as ordered. If you can use the PayPal option for payment that will also give you a bit of security, if there is any issue but I don't think you'll need it. 🙂

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wildfire are fantastic. You can trust them completely. I always buy my sports/walking shoes online from them. Their service is excellent. If you need any more info, please pm me.

I have purchased Altra Olympus 4 from Wildfire and received them in good time and as ordered. If you can use the PayPal option for payment that will also give you a bit of security, if there is any issue but I don't think you'll need it. 🙂
Not sure about NZ, but if you buy something with a credit card in Oz, and the merchant fails to deliver, you can request the bank to reverse the charge. My experience has been that my bank has been very responsive - but not automatic - the bank does expect you to have tried to resolve the issue with the merchant first (and have the evidence), so when I buy anything online, it is with a credit card rather than a direct bank transfer...

They are a very reputable company with physical stores, as well as an online presence. Another great Australian outdoor store is Wildearth.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have had no issues with Wildfire Sports at all ... purchased several pairs of Altra Lone Peaks from them several years ago!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Kiwi-family, I have purchased a number of hiking/trekking items from Wildfire. Every time the items were as described. Also I have been to their store at Milton (BrisVegas). Purchased my Salomon’s there.

Only suggestion is to make sure the model/product version is exactly the one you want.

PS From memory Wild Earth are a Gold Coast based company

Buen Camino

Another positive vote for WildFire. Very knowledgeable and reliable store. A very positive vote for Altra’s also - great trail runners, 3 Caminos and not a blister with them. Cooee

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have purchased from Wildfire previously and have not experienced any problems.

Yes I often buy my hiking shoes and equip through them and they are super good for customer service (use Brisbane store and often do ordering on-line with them). Also you can order two pairs of shoes in case of sizing for a small $ fee (I think it's 5) and they provide you with the return shipping printout to return the shoes which you do not choose - used that service many times

I have recently purchased osprey airpoters from wildfire. Fantastic quick delivery. Would recommend

€149,-
Hi Kiwi-Family. I bought a Salomon XA Pro GTX the stitching on the tongue wasn’t correct and kept rubbing on my foot. Wore them a few times and ended up taking them back to Kathmandu, where I bought from. I had no issue having them replaced for another pair, in my opinion I would have had trouble having them replaced if bought on line. All the best. Cheers

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have purchased direct from the store and found them very professional. No experience with the online platform though. Very popular with the local trail running community I believe. Hope this helps.

I can also vouch for Wild Earth stores.
I have had the same experience, have bought from both Wildfire (Altra Olympus) and Wildearth (all sorts) in store with no issues

I've used wildfire, wild earth and snowy,s multiple times with online purchases. All reliable.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I purchase from Wildfire in Australia and they are great to deal with. I have never had to return anything so not sure about that part. Just make sure the website is real. I got caught once purchasing from what I thought was the Merrell site and which turned out to be a fake. expensive and time consuming lesson.

Just received my Bridgedale socks from Wildearth in Queensland to Perth. Very happy with them ,only took two weeks.

Not a note on the store but on the shoes: the Lone Peak 6s are far more durable than the previous versions. I’m on my second pair and love them!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not a note on the store but on the shoes: the Lone Peak 6s are far more durable than the previous versions. I’m on my second pair and love them!
Thank you - this is good to know. I noticed in reviews that the standard 6 is more durable than the Alpine model (which is a pity as I prefer the latter, but I would certainly buy the longer lasting model!)

I purchase from Wildfire in Australia and they are great to deal with. I have never had to return anything so not sure about that part. Just make sure the website is real. I got caught once purchasing from what I thought was the Merrell site and which turned out to be a fake. expensive and time consuming lesson.
This is EXACTLY why I was asking here! I almost bought from a keens online store that had deals that were just slightly too good to be true - I contacted the keens store via an international website and they confirmed the nz one was bogus. It has since been shut down, but I am very wary.

For the record....I contacted both Wildfire and Wild Earth to alert them to this thread and promptly received a thank you message from both. Very impressive.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back