• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Calling home with Spanish SIM card ?

Macc60

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2015
I am looking for the cheapest way to make calls back home to the US, while still being able to use a cell phone locally in Spain. I have checked into getting a local SIM card, however that would allow me to only make local calls in Spain and have cellular data (right?)...which is great, but I would also like to be able to make/receive calls to/from home (US) and text my walking partners if we get separated. Any suggestions? My carrier in the US is ATT and their plan is not very good :(. Thanks so much... Just not very techie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would strongly recommend getting a Spanish SIM card with a data plan. (perhaps in Pamplona)
Then use SKYPE to call home. If your family doesn't have SKYPE you can pay a small amount allowing you to call land lines from Skype. You will save a bundle and if necessary you can purchase additional data if you are running out.
Ultimately you will probably not use all of your calling minutes in any case.
I used Skype and it worked great.
Buen Camino.
c

Thanks!...like I said... Not very techie :). Can I use Skype if we do not have a landline at home? We eliminated that this year. Any ideas for communicating with my hiking partners if we get separated? Guess we could use What's App if Wifi is available. I guess Spanish SIM cards don't allow texting with US numbers???

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks!...like I said... Not very techie :). Can I use Skype if we do not have a landline at home? We eliminated that this year. Any ideas for communicating with my hiking partners if we get separated? Guess we could use What's App if Wifi is available. I guess Spanish SIM cards don't allow texting with US numbers???
Hi Macc;
When you get a Spanish SIM card you will also get a Spanish phone number. You can certainly message others on the Camino in a way you are accustomed to. As for Skyping home, the folks at home will need to leave their computer (or tablet) on so you can call directly to them. This way you will not have to pay extra to call a land line. Basically this call will be free.
Important to note the people in the States will need to have Skype installed on their computer /tablet.....
You should have no trouble with this.
C

Thanks so much for the great information. I didn't know that if I got a spanish SIM card with a Spain phone number that to text a U.S. phone number would be included in the plan!! Certainly wouldn't be that way with any cellular plans in the U.S. Very surprising!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks so much for the great information. I didn't know that if I got a spanish SIM card with a Spain phone number that to text a U.S. phone number would be included in the plan!! Certainly wouldn't be that way with any cellular plans in the U.S. Very surprising!!
One more question, do you think I could a SIM card for Spain in Biarritz? Thanks!!

I walked the Camino from Roncesvalles to SdC in May -June of this year. I had a Spanish SIM from Orange in my Sony phone. Calling the U.S. from Spain was easy and cheap, and I did it once or twice a day. Thirty nine cents to connect and two cents per minute talk time. Did not text to other pilgrims but did call a friend on a regular basis, twenty cents to connect and free talking. Also There was free WiFi every day at albergues, bars, and restaurants for Skype calls.

We purchased a SIM card for our iPhone6 at Madrid airport (Orange, 35 Euros) Used it for local and international calls in Italy and Portugal, and obviously Spain, as well as for constant roaming the internet.
After 1 month and returning home we still have 18 Euro left, and the card also works from here.:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am looking for the cheapest way to make calls back home to the US, while still being able to use a cell phone locally in Spain. I have checked into getting a local SIM card, however that would allow me to only make local calls in Spain and have cellular data (right?)...which is great, but I would also like to be able to make/receive calls to/from home (US) and text my walking partners if we get separated. Any suggestions? My carrier in the US is ATT and their plan is not very good :(. Thanks so much... Just not very techie

First, have AT&T unlock your phone.
Second, get a Lebara SIM card with data, they use the Vodafone network.
http://www.lebara.es/todo-en-uno

We are using the same process that we used for a recent trip to Italy.
1) we have AT&T at home so had to go through the process to have one of our old iPhones that is no longer under contract unlocked so that it would accept another carriers SIM card
2) we the prepurchsed a Spanish SIM card from Cellular Abroad online. For $19 extra we were able to also add a U.S. Number to give to our family. Which I believe had around 250 minutes. You also have the option to purchase data.

This is probably a little more expensive than buying a SIM card at the Madrid airport, but we are flying into Paris where we cannot buy a Spanish SIM. I also liked having my numbers ahead of time to be used when making reservations

Echoing what another post had said. Make sure that your phone is unlocked. If you have a contract, the phone company may ask you to pay the remainder of what they have paid for the phone. In the case of AT&T I had to pay a couple of hundred dollars (about 12 months left on my contract) to "own" the phone. The good side is that at least with them, if you own your phone there is a discount on the rate so it evens out over time. If it's an Apple phone you also need access to ITunes to unlock it. The process is simple but looks complex (based on the number of steps). Just an added piece of info. Good luck.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks so much!! I really appreciate everyone for taking time to share your knowledge...so helpful!

This looks like a good deal!
I´m trying to find the best Spanish prepaid SIM with data and cheap international text messages.

You might want to look for another provider if that it is the case. I believe DIGI mobil only lets you text to Spain, Italy, and Romania. I wasn't able to send texts to America.

Hi Macc;
When you get a Spanish SIM card you will also get a Spanish phone number. You can certainly message others on the Camino in a way you are accustomed to. As for Skyping home, the folks at home will need to leave their computer (or tablet) on so you can call directly to them. This way you will not have to pay extra to call a land line. Basically this call will be free.
Important to note the people in the States will need to have Skype installed on their computer /tablet.....
You should have no trouble with this.
C
This is incomplete. With Skype you have two ways to call home. Method number one is device to device ("device" being something that can access the Internet and thereby the Skype website or Skype app. Smartphone, computer, tablet, etc, etc). Yes, the person being called has to have the Skype website or Skype app open and ready to receive the call. This is free but does require that the person back home be set up to receive the call. Method number two is your device to a telephone ("telephone" being a true landline or the telephone function of a mobile phone. Not talking about the data part.) You call the telephone number from Skype on your device and the telephone rings. (Or bongs or chimes or whistles or whatever it does. ;)) This costs about 4 cents a minute and you have to seed your account beforehand. The convenience of not having to schedule the call is probably worth the cost.

Lots of mentions of Skype but can't see any about Viber, has anyone else uses this? I have this app on my iPhone and have used it many times to contact friends/family from one country to another. Good for international communication. Like Skype, you'll need WiFi connection but it's free messaging and calling to any mobile phone. Sometimes the phone connection is not great but we just disconnect and call again, when the line is good it's very good. Small inconvenience for a free service. Obviously, the people you want to contact will also need to download the app.
My son is currently travelling in Berlin, I'm in Australia and this is our main method of contact.

Hi all does this information apply for those calling home to Australia. what have austalians used in the past that has worked?
and would orange be the preferred network?
I have an unlocked iPhone .
any suggestions much appreciated, I start in SJPP. august this year
Buen camino
Chelle.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all does this information apply for those calling home to Australia. what have austalians used in the past that has worked?
and would orange be the preferred network?
I have an unlocked iPhone .
any suggestions much appreciated, I start in SJPP. august this year
Buen camino
Chelle.

Orange is not the better network, the best reception is one that works on the Movistar or Vodafone network.
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Spain

Look at Lebara, they may have some good deals for calling Aus and their site is in English and is on the Movistar network.
http://www.lebara.es/?isoCode=en_GB

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Many thanks for your responses, very much appreciated.
Can I purchase at SJPP?

You'll have to wait until you get to Pamplona, El Corte Ingles, Phone House, or the phone company stores.

Great information! But I do wonder, what network operators has the best "cellfone signals" (don't know the expression) along the Camino? I see there is 4 of them, Movistar, Orange, Vodafone and Yoigo?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great information! But I do wonder, what network operators has the best "cellfone signals" (don't know the expression) along the Camino? I see there is 4 of them, Movistar, Orange, Vodafone and Yoigo?

The best "coverage" for Spain is Movistar, Vodafone, and in dead least Orange. Yoigo runs on the Movistar network.

I got an Orange SIM in the Madrid airport on July 14. 35€ got me 2GB data and 50€ credit for month 1. Next month they'll pull 15€ from this credit to extend a second month. (The credit is some special that I was offered) This credit also applies to any phone calls to Spanish numbers or US - the same .29€ connection and .01€ per minute already written about. All incoming calls are free for me but international numbers need to call my Spanish number and incur intl costs. What's App is set up for anyone to call my US number, which is handy! I also activated a GoEurope option and took it into France for three days, no extra charge. Sooo comforting to not have to be stingy with an ATT intl data plan. Don't forget to unlock phone! Process could take days but mine took a few minutes, tho with an iPhone there is some extra work having to restore it. Good luck deciding!

The best "coverage" for Spain is Movistar, Vodafone, and in dead least Orange. Yoigo runs on the Movistar network.
I don't wish to belabor the point with you, and what you say is probably correct. But I was totally happy with the coverage I had from Orange on the CF in 2013. There was only one spot, in a one of the remote villages -- I don't remember exactly where -- that I did not have a useable signal -- at least for voice (I did not have a smart phone at the time so I wasn't concerned about data).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Every one has given good responses on the preferred cell phone carriers and services. I am not offering any advice, just giving my own experience. I have had good luck with Labara SIM card for my IPhone 4,which I use for international travel. I call the U.S. On a regular basis and it has always worked with out any problems and is very inexpensive. I have not found any areas along the Camino where I did not have service. The data package worked just as well for me also. Being an apple user , I prefer face time for video calls . It works flawlessly as long as you have WI FI. On some occasions I used my IPhone for a hot spot to give myself wi FI for internet coverage when needed. It was a better connection than some of the established wifi spots along the way. I normally get the SIM card in T-4 at the Madrid airport. It can be reloaded just about anywhere that has calling cards available. Having a Spanish phone number is convenient for me,and for those in Spain that need to contact me. I'm sure the other providers are just as good, I prefer Labara, because I have always used them.
An Itouch will also work if you do not have an IPhone for face time,but you will need wifi. I use my Itouch while in India and it is instantaneous with face time. Just another venue for contacting the U.S. . Sorry about being a bit long winded on this. I hope it is some what helpful to you.

Lots of mentions of Skype but can't see any about Viber, has anyone else uses this? I have this app on my iPhone and have used it many times to contact friends/family from one country to another. Good for international communication. Like Skype, you'll need WiFi connection but it's free messaging and calling to any mobile phone. Sometimes the phone connection is not great but we just disconnect and call again, when the line is good it's very good. Small inconvenience for a free service. Obviously, the people you want to contact will also need to download the app.
My son is currently travelling in Berlin, I'm in Australia and this is our main method of contact.

CathyJ-
My daughter used Viber to communicate with her friends when they were all in different countries for their study abroad semester. I planned to use this to communicate with my family at home. I just wanted something to text on wifi - and maybe an occasional call (especially when my daughter has my third grandchild mid-Camino!!!)

Does anyome know if I will have an issues accessing wifi with an iPhone 5C? If I can do that I assume the app will work.

CathyJ-
My daughter used Viber to communicate with her friends when they were all in different countries for their study abroad semester. I planned to use this to communicate with my family at home. I just wanted something to text on wifi - and maybe an occasional call (especially when my daughter has my third grandchild mid-Camino!!!)

Does anyome know if I will have an issues accessing wifi with an iPhone 5C? If I can do that I assume the app will work.
I can't see any reason why you should have issues accessing wifi. El Guapo (above) is using an iPhone 4 without problems. Viber will allow you to text, call and send pics

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My wife has a 5c and I have a 6 plus. Both are working fine for Wifi is Spain. I had more issues with spotty or over loaded wifi coverage than the phone itself. When you stop somewhere don't be surprised if it's very slow.

You can also buy a cellular data plan. I bought a gig a
Month via cellularabroad. Only used about 300 meg.

You also want to be sure that you turn off automatic updates if you have a lot of apps. That can burn up gigs real quick. Also, if you're going to use cellular data turn it off for the apps that you don't care about. I left it on only for Google maps, mail, and a translator. Shouldn't be this hard but it does work.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.