• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Calling it a day at Orisson - wind gusts too much.

Time of past OR future Camino
2022 SJPP-Cruz de Ferro
For four years my goal has been to go from SJPP to Roncesvalles over the pass. Trained for it, did what I thought I needed to do
But when a gust of wind nearly blew me over I knew it was time to pack it in. Made it to orisson(which is now closed for renovations) where the friendly owner called me a taxi, which I now await. Will there be another shot at the pass? Maybe. But in the meanwhile I'll follow the maxim - safety first and stay within my comfort zone.
Be safe out there fellow pilgrims.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I think you have made a wise choice. Although the route is still officially open good judgment on the day is more important. Been a few days lately when the bomberos have had to rescue people suffering from hypothermia. Glad to hear you won't be one of those.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
when a gust of wind nearly blew me over I knew it was time to pack it in
@aliciag56, when I read in another thread about storm conditions further to the west I got curious about the Pyrenees crossings near SJPP and had a look at a detailed weather forecast and saw the hourly forecast of wind gust speeds and the official weather warnings for today and the coming days for the two mountain passes. IMO, you took a wise decision, in fact the only sensible decision, to adapt your plan and stay out of the way. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Went over ther a few
For four years my goal has been to go from SJPP to Roncesvalles over the pass. Trained for it, did what I thought I needed to do
But when a gust of wind nearly blew me over I knew it was time to pack it in. Made it to orisson(which is now closed for renovations) where the friendly owner called me a taxi, which I now await. Will there be another shot at the pass? Maybe. But in the meanwhile I'll follow the maxim - safety first and stay within my comfort zone.
Be safe out there fellow pilgrims.
Went over there a few years back when the Napolean Pass was declared open after a snow closure two pilgrims one stayed n the Bothy on the mountain and the other decided to walk on misjudged the path due to snow cover and was found in a ditch the next day so pays to be careful on the route from Orrison some views had my porridge on the mountain top and visited by horses must have smelt the oats great company before i descended into Roncesvalles. Sometimes your training doesnt take into the environmental requirements which we dont experience in our own country and pays to listen not only to the advice from experts but listen to your own body. Keep Safe

Last month I had to make the tough decision not crossing the Pyrinees by the Napoleon route. I was on a bike and in the morning started raining and was a bit cold. Then I took the Valcarlos route. Doing this stage by the road ( carretera) was amazing as well as much more safe, although I got wet and cold as well. In the same day some pilgrims needed to be rescued at Loepeder pass with Hypothermia. Safe first!

Yeah that wind.... truly caught me by surprise when I started May 21st... and all I could do is to firmly stick my poles into the ground and hold on the best I was able
We (folks starting that day) were lucky - apparently the day before it was so bad 5 people got injured. I heard one lady was knocked off her feet and busted her face on some rocks (lost some teeth while at it)
:(
Safe is definitely better 👍

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My older son and I got caught in wind on the Coastal Causeway in Northern Ireland. It was a nightmare. We ended up crawling at times as the wind was pushing us backwards. We got off the path that on the edge of the cliffs (and the sea far below), and went through fields. (Sorry farmers about trespassing. :( ) Lesson learned for me-- check the weather and talk with locals before heading out on the trail.

Last edited:
Good choice! I did the whole thing in 2014 from SJPDP to Roscenvales and I wished I had stopped in Orisson! It was a hell of a hike, I was dehydrated and had to spend a zero in town. I think breaking that long walk over the Pyrenees is the best thing. Buen Camino

The only thing worse is wind, rain, and sleet. In the fall of 2017, we ran into a storm between Orrison and the summit. It really came up with no warning. We made it, thank God, but it took a long time to slog through the slippery mud while focusing on staying the trail. Visibility was about zero. It felt like a second of inattention could end up badly. When we got to Roncevalles, we were told that a party of five the previous day had to be airlifted off the mountain because they got lost in a storm and one of them fell and broke her leg. Not a nice way to end your Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well done for having the sense to call it a day then. Some don't and can suffer.

Express Bouricott have a service which can take you most of the way to Roncevalles.
You are in my opinion ABSOLUTELY DOING THE RIGHT THING! I recently walked from SJPDP to Burgos and took a rest day and taxi when it poured or when 20k was just too far. I had reservations every night but with this mentality enjoyed myself completely- no stress AND unlike others I met no injuries or uncomfortable blisters/foot issues etc. I had a wonderful experience. ! Met fabulous people, found peace. To me the Camino is yours to do whatever you want!! Continue safely. God bless you.

Yeah that wind.... truly caught me by surprise when I started May 21st... and all I could do is to firmly stick my poles into the ground and hold on the best I was able
We (folks starting that day) were lucky - apparently the day before it was so bad 5 people got injured. I heard one lady was knocked off her feet and busted her face on some rocks (lost some teeth while at it)
:(
Safe is definitely better 👍
Yes, I walked on May 20th, gusts seemed to be 60-70 miles an hour. I knew one of the women who got hurt. Stay safe! Even in the summer there is a lot of wind!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Good choice! I did the whole thing in 2014 from SJPDP to Roscenvales and I wished I had stopped in Orisson! It was a hell of a hike, I was dehydrated and had to spend a zero in town. I think breaking that long walk over the Pyrenees is the best thing. Buen Camino
My 3rd Camino was in late April. This time I decided to stop in Orisson. It was a great decision. It improved days 1 & 2 and I met some new friends!

Out of curiosity, I checked today's weather forecast for the Col de Bentarte (Napoleon route) and Puerto de Ibañeta (Valcarlos route). There's currently another weather anomaly (the same one as in much of the rest of Europe right now) but quite different from a week ago when this thread was started:
  • Weather anomaly: Unusually warm weather for this time of the year
Also, a fresh breeze (29 to 40 km/h) is predicted and gusts of up to 78 km/h (!) are possible on the higher Bentarte pass. Contrast this with an expected gentle breeze (12 to 20 km/h) on the lower Ibañeta pass, only a few kilometers away. Of course, these are only predictions but they have been assigned a "high predictability" label according to the website. Always worth checking the weather forecast, imho, because that's info you don't get by looking out of the window in the morning and the locals get their info also from the weather forecast. 😶

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Back