• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Calling Toll-Free Numbers

lynnejohn

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances(2005), VDLP(2007), Madrid(2009), Ingles(2009), Sur (2011), VDLP(2011)-partial, VDLP(2014)
Last Camino we walked, we had a medical emergency and were unable to get through to the 1-800 number of our travel insurance provider in Canada. (We ended up calling their main number.) I was told at that time that it is not possible to call a North American 800 number from Spain. I see in my Insurance provider's information now that Spain is a member of the "Universal International Toll Free" group. I'm not sure what that means, but the number looks the same as the one we tried in 2011.
Has anyone had recent experience with calling 1-800 numbers on the Camino? I'd appreciate any advice on the subject.
Thanks.

lynne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Perhaps a little background on how 1-800 (toll-free) calling works may clarify the picture. The basic rule is, the phone company always gets their fee. When we call from home, or a domestic business, the home owner or business owner pays the phone bill each month for that service. We pay for the outgoing calls. When I, as a business owner, want to make it easy for customers to contact me, I agree with the phone company that I will pay the fee for the incoming calls. Since I'm paying, I want to limit my financial exposure. For example, it is fairly common that a 1-800 number for a local business is only good for calls originating within the state. So it is really common for businesses to limit the zone of origin to the US (or, I suppose, US + Canada). With all the fraudulent emails originating in third world countries, imagine the extent of the fraud that could be perpetrated by telephone. In fact, we're already having to protect ourselves against offshore "looks-toll-free-but-costs-a-ton" scams using numbers in the Carribean.

So, when you prepare to travel overseas, make sure to have the non-1-800 numbers for the embassies, banks, insurance firms etc in hand. Most credit cards have non-1-800 numbers on the reverse side; otherwise you can check the web sites.

have the non-1-800 numbers for the embassies, banks, insurance firms etc in hand. Most credit cards have non-1-800 numbers on the reverse side
Mine indicate that I can call collect, so the credit card company will pay the phone call costs.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don't think those responses quite answer lynne's question. She apparently has a number that is a "universal" toll free number. Based on kitsambler's response, it seems like any company could have a toll free card with universal availability, but the question is whether it does.

Maybe someone living in Spain now or on the Camino now could get in touch with Lynne and give it a try. Buen camino, Laurie

Yes I think that's it.

It's listed as a UITF (Universal International Toll-Free) number. I just wonder if anyone on the forum has actually used it. Maybe I was using the wrong prefix or something.

Update: I finally found the problem. When dialling a UITF, the prefix is the country you're calling FROM, not TO. That was clearly my mistake.

I'll try it out as soon as I get to Spain.

Thanks for your replies.

lynne

Kitsambler said:
Perhaps a little background on how 1-800 (toll-free) calling works may clarify the picture. The basic rule is, the phone company always gets their fee. When we call from home, or a domestic business, the home owner or business owner pays the phone bill each month for that service. We pay for the outgoing calls. When I, as a business owner, want to make it easy for customers to contact me, I agree with the phone company that I will pay the fee for the incoming calls. Since I'm paying, I want to limit my financial exposure. For example, it is fairly common that a 1-800 number for a local business is only good for calls originating within the state. So it is really common for businesses to limit the zone of origin to the US (or, I suppose, US + Canada). With all the fraudulent emails originating in third world countries, imagine the extent of the fraud that could be perpetrated by telephone. In fact, we're already having to protect ourselves against offshore "looks-toll-free-but-costs-a-ton" scams using numbers in the Carribean.

Really good and useful advice. Have just added this to my "save and do" list for my Camino prep. I've saved several of your messages relating to your LePuy trek in 2010. Thanks for all of those and hoping your future Pilgrimages are all safe and blest!

Farmer John
A Hopeful Pilgrim

So, when you prepare to travel overseas, make sure to have the non-1-800 numbers for the embassies, banks, insurance firms etc in hand. Most credit cards have non-1-800 numbers on the reverse side; otherwise you can check the web sites.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Toll free numbers have become a very effective business tool in recent years. They not only help you effective improve your customer service capability; however, they also are a great thing to infuse into your marketing efforts. Both companies and customers reap the rewards of 800 toll free numbers. A consistent and helpful means of communication is an important thing to have when doing business.

Adding an 800 toll free number is a great choice and companies that choose to do so will experience many benefits for their business:

• They will improve your company's customer satisfaction levels 0845 numbers give your customers a place to call and be heard if they have any issues or complaints. IT also allows you to address these issues and rectify the situation.

• The numbers are a relatively cost effective marketing tool. They are easier to get, more readily available, and have gone down in price considerably over the past few years.

• These numbers build credibility. They will help improve your company's image and give you the appearance of a large and more refined company.

• 800 numbers will help your business broaden their market and reach. You can quickly take a local business and give it a regional, national, or international presence within your industry.

• You can get an 800 for a competitive rate because they are many companies that now offer the service.

• People like having the option of calling toll free numbers. They will be more willing to call you if this option is available to them, which could lead to more sales for your company.

• They will help you garner more repeat business and long lasting business relationships

• Registering for an 800 number is a quick and easy process. You can have your number in a few short steps.

• Once of the most attractive features about toll free numbers is that you only pay for what you use. Therefore, you pay for your 800 number services incrementally as your business grows.

• Prospects and potential clients are more likely to call and inquire about your services if you have your number listed on your website and other promotional material.

• They are great for companies with a smaller or tight budget. If you do not get many calls, you will not have to worry about paying for the services.

• An 800 numbers helps to verify that your company is legitimate. Customers can call the number and talk to someone in your company to ease their worry about making a purchase online.

• They will increase your response rates to advertisements, marketing copy, and sales letters when accompanied by a toll free number for customers to call.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back