• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Calluses? To Remove or not to Remove?

flyswatty

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked in May 2012 - Burgos to Santiago; Planning to walk in May 2013 - SJPP to Burgos!
Hey There: I am thinking ahead and wondering if it is better to remove calluses before the walk. Do calluses make one more vulnerable to develop blisters? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! sonya

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When I visited a podiatrist to obtain custom orthotics, she also sliced off the calluses (under the ball of the foot and the side of the big toe).

Having once had a blister under a callus - a most painful situation - I would think it pays off to manage the calluses so they don't get too thick.

I use a gizmo called a "Ped-egg", which is essentially a short length of micro-plane grater (same device used for grating Parmesan cheese) in a plastic case.

Kitsambler said:
I use a gizmo called a "Ped-egg", which is essentially a short length of micro-plane grater (same device used for grating Parmesan cheese) in a plastic case.

Thank you. I got a piece of old Parmesan cheese in my fridge actually. I'm now thinking about giving it to the birds. :lol:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think the great risk is that one takes off too much, which leaves too thin a layer of skin for good protection. I must admit that I have done this to myself through injudicious use of a foot file :( Several days of a very tender foot followed.

flyswatty said:
I am thinking ahead and wondering if it is better to remove calluses before the walk. Do calluses make one more vulnerable to develop blisters? Any thoughts?

I always felt that calluses were the body's way of protecting your feet. Unless they're causing some sort of problem, I'd just leave them alone. I've had a lot of calluses, but I can't ever remember having one that caused me problems. They have made my feet less prone to blisters, though!

-- Ryan

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.