• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Calzadilla de la Cueza

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
It’s 6 years since I walked through Calzadilla in mid-summer, so I am not up-to-date with numbers of pilgrims stopping there in June/July.

Has anyone here arrived at that time of year recently and not been able to get a bed?

It doesn’t bother me if I’m alone, as I can always make a Plan B, but there will be 5 or 6 of us, so I need to think ahead a bit.

We will have walked from Poblacion de Campos, about 33kms, so we’re not going to be arriving early.

I know I can phone ahead the day before and book some beds, but I would appreciate your thoughts on whether you think Calzadilla will be full or not when we arrive.

It is not at an “end stage” in the guide books, so I’m not expecting it to be full, but you never know these days . . .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A couple of years ago in July I arrived in Carrión de los Condes about 11 am, walking from Población de Campos. I decided that I would continue on to Calazadilla de la Cueza, and made a booking at Los Canarios there on Booking.com. I have no idea the vacancy level, but it wasn't necessary for me to have a reservation. I just prefer to have one when I know that I will be walking a long day and arriving later than I normally do.

I had one of the very best Pilgrim dinners at the Los Canarios' restaurant. I think that I had spaghetti for my first course, and the most delicious roasted lemon chicken with roasted potatoes with a red pepper puree for the 2nd course.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,
I walked into Calzadilla in the rain and I was glad to stop. There were buses parked outside and I got one of the last few beds, at around 14:30 or 15:00. You just never know.
It was nice to get my laundry done there, though. The restaurant was quite full and noisy with pilgrims and tourists, but the food was fine.
If I had to do it again I would call ahead.
All the best,
Paul

I decided that I would continue on to Calazadilla de la Cueza, and made a booking at Los Canarios there on Booking.com.

I saw that place on Gronze, and if they were still on booking.com I’d book them now, but they have only a cell phone number. However, I’ve put that number on my phone, and I see they are on Whatsapp, so I think nearer the time I’ll send them a message :D.

It’s 6 years since I walked through Calzadilla in mid-summer, so I am not up-to-date with numbers of pilgrims stopping there in June/July.

Has anyone here arrived at that time of year recently and not been able to get a bed?

It doesn’t bother me if I’m alone, as I can always make a Plan B, but there will be 5 or 6 of us, so I need to think ahead a bit.

We will have walked from Poblacion de Campos, about 33kms, so we’re not going to be arriving early.

I know I can phone ahead the day before and book some beds, but I would appreciate your thoughts on whether you think Calzadilla will be full or not when we arrive.

It is not at an “end stage” in the guide books, so I’m not expecting it to be full, but you never know these days . . .
I arrived there on the 22nd September 2018, after slow hot walk from Carrión de los Condes struggling with the after effects of a tummy bug. September is perhaps an even busier month for pilgrim traffic. I didn't book ahead, arrived at about 3.15 pm. One albergue and the hotel with pool was fully booked, but there was a new albergue opened at the time that had great facilities and lots of bunk beds, so no problem at the time. It's definitely well prepared to take full advantage of the pilgrim crowds.
I think most people that set out from Carrión de los Condes continue on to Ledigos, which is another 6.2km further. So, it's probably the place to stay for people starting the day at Población de los Campos. For me, it was a hot day (32 degrees) and I was a bit dehydrated from the illness, so I was extremely grateful in landing at the super clean and spacious new albergue in Calzadilla de la Cueza. Not only did I have a lovely shower and good afternoon siesta, I found a small restaurant nearby that made wonderful home-cooked food. The next day I felt blessed and my strength restored. The Camino provides when you need it most.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
the super clean and spacious new albergue in Calzadilla de la Cueza

Do you have the name of this albergue please?
Both the municipal and the Albergue Camino Real have been there since at least 2013 or earlier.
Thanks!

the municipal is only about 3 years old. It went out of existence for many years, but a new mayor and council brought it back and are now giving the Old Guard (the place with the pool and mural) a run for their money!
Las Canarias is a private B&B place that's about the same new vintage. The old hostal, run by the same family with the old albergue and the area JacoTrans franchise, is still up and running too. Good bar, average food.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had planned to stay at Camino Real but I was ahead of schedule and arrived around 10:30 so I stopped to cancel my reservation in person and had one of the longest and most enjoyable second breakfasts ever! It's a good walk from Carrion with nothing between and no shade. Everyone I knew on the Camino stopped there too.
IMG_2528.JPG

It is great to sit at a table and watch all the pilgrims approaching down the white track towards you , I think everyone stops there for a snack .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back