• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camaraderie on the Via Francigena

efdoucette

Time of past OR future Camino
2011 Camino Frances
Since 2011 - too many to list
I understand the VF is not the Camino Frances in terms of number of walkers but there must be some. How lonely is it on the VF anyway? especially if you converse in only English?

I hope to walk from Besconson to either Florence or maybe Rome this Sept / Oct.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Eric

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In 2011 between Canterbury and the hospice at St Bernard's Pass I met no pilgrims. At the hospice I met 3. In Italy I met about 20. In 2012 walking from Rome to Sarzana I met a few every day, but I was walking the opposite direction.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Eric,
We walked a portion of the Via Francigena last fall (from Sarzana to Viterbo). In total we saw 11 other pilgrims in the 300 km we walked! It was very different in that respect from the Camino Frances. Unfortunately we met them almost all at once, so the rest of the time we were on our own as we were walking shorter distances than them. The scenery was gorgeous though, and the walking is very pleasant unless using the roads. Drivers are very fast and not watching out for pilgrims, so you need to be alert.
Another great blog on the Via Francigena is at http://wheresnetia.wordpress.com .
Cheers!
Linda

My wife and I walked the Via Francigena from Switzerland to Rome back in 2008.

During the seven weeks we took to reach Rome, we met 12 other pilgrims; three women from Switzerland and four Germans walking a short section in Valle d Aosta, a young German guy rushing to get to Rome in four weeks from Aosta, a woman from Rome who supposedly had been walking from Santiago on her way to the holy city, two other Canadians and finally an Italian from Parma, who we walked with, during the last four days into Rome.

From time to time groups of cyclists passed us, especially when we got closer to Rome.

We also met Alberto who had been tasked to map out an alternate set of paths that would take pilgrims away from the busy and dangerous roads. We would learn later that these planned future changes were already "a work in progress" meaning different communities were in fact changing the exist paths as we walked them, sometimes ripping up old signs, sometimes adding new signs and more often leaving nothing to give you any indication of what was what.

It obviously resulted in some challenging days, getting lost and spending countless hours backtracking and/or taking unplanned alternate routes to reach our daily destination.

More often that not, my wife and I spent the days and evenings alone, just the two of us. But occasionally, we did get to share some special moments with one of those dozen special pilgrims that briefly entered our lives.

The Via Francigena is not the Camino Frances, and probably it will never be like it.

I understand the VF is not the Camino Frances in terms of number of walkers but there must be some. How lonely is it on the VF anyway? especially if you converse in only English?

I hope to walk from Besconson to either Florence or maybe Rome this Sept / Oct.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Eric
My mom returned from Italy yesterday, where she did about five days of the Francigena and never saw another person on the trail. She said it was beautiful but very lonely.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Like the others we found very few other pilgrims. We walked in October and November 4 years ago. We found a gps handheld was a great help in not ending up walking on roads all the time. The feeling of walking into Rome was amazing. We are now on our third camino , this time Le Puy to St Jean - they are all different and wonderful. I'm very glad to have done the Via!
Maggie Ramsay
(The Italian Camino - Amazon)

Thanks everyone for your info. I've decided to start my walk in Genoa, walk through Cinque Terre then onto the trail to Rome, starting late September. The walking maybe solo but there will always be people to interact with, that should keep me sane.
And Maggie, I'm in the middle of your book, it's a great read. So far it seems you hit a fair amount of rain in Italy, I'm paying particular attention to that. Also, good to know about the GPS, I think one will find it's way in my pack.

I posted gps tracks in the resource section. You'll notice no one has downloaded them! We met a person every few days, thats about it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am planning to start my via francigena from Canterbury at the end of this month. I do hope to have some company through France but it doesn't look promising. C'est la vie !!

For what it's worth, Mom said it was a very spiritual experience, particularly because she spent so much time alone. : )

It's worth a lot, Alyssa. Thankfully, I find my own company quite bearable, which no doubt helped me to appreciate a quite 'solitary' Camino Ingles experience after completing the much more 'social' Camino Frances route last year.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked from Canterbury to Besancon in 2012, Besancon to Vercelli in 2013. Both times in summer. This year I will walk from Vercelli to Rome.

I met very few walking pilgrims and only a few cyclists. As others have said, the VF is a totally different experience to the Camino Frances. It is more solitary. The solitariness did not bother me, but everyone is different in their need for company. The really gregarious will make a point of finding company.

It is also more challenging in other ways. The routes (there are several local variants) are not as well marked. Hotels etc have only very limited experience of pilgrims and their needs. It is best to find small, individual places that often have a sincere wish to help pilgrims. I have tried to mention such places in the accounts of my two VF sections. If you do an Author Search on bobm you should be able to find them.

Hope this is helpful.

Bob M

Thanks Bob for sharing your knowledge. Do you have any different expectations for Italy? Do you think there will be more accommodations available? More people?

Thanks Bob M for the info. My husband and I are planning to walk VF next May (2016) from St Bernard's Pass down to Rome. We are quite excited for it. The more info I can gather the better.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Bob for sharing your knowledge. Do you have any different expectations for Italy? Do you think there will be more accommodations available? More people?

I gather Italy has more developed VF routes and accommodation than earlier parts of the VF. That's my expectation, anyway. Perhaps religion is also stronger in Italy and that may make locals a bit more used to seeing pilgrims. But that's just supposition. I will know by July 21 when I reach Rome!

The Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome http://www.pilgrimstorome.org.uk/pilgrimgroups.html has some useful weblinks and is worth joining just to get its excellent accommodation list. It's the best one I have found.

My other suggestion would be to trawl through some of the any blogs by other pilgrims. Here is just one: http://wheresnetia.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/la-via-francigena-the-adventures-about-to-begin/ You can navigate from stage to stage using the back/forward links in small, faint type near the top of the page.

Hope this helps.

Bob M

Thanks Bob M for the info. My husband and I are planning to walk VF next May (2016) from St Bernard's Pass down to Rome. We are quite excited for it. The more info I can gather the better.

Have a look at my other message for efdoucette for some ideas.

I also posted an account of my journey from Besancon to Vercelli last year that may have some useful content for you in the part after St Bernard's Pass, http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...-to-vercelli-remembrance-of-times-past.19560/

I leave for Italy on June 11 to walk from Vercelli to Rome and will be pretty much out of contact until July 21.

So, excuse me, everyone, if I am unable to respond to questions immediately.

Regards

Bob M

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I also posted an account of my journey from Besancon to Vercelli last year that may have some useful content for you in the part after St Bernard's Pass, http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...-to-vercelli-remembrance-of-times-past.19560/

I leave for Italy on June 11 to walk from Vercelli to Rome and will be pretty much out of contact until July 21.

Regards

Bob M
Thanks again for sharing. Just read your blog. Omg can I leave now! It sounds so good. Funny how you mentioned the pilgrimages in Japan as I have been looking at those as well. I'm not sure about the cost yet and if I can afford that as it's more expensive to do. I'm off to do the Portuguese camino in Late September this year by myself and the VF in May with my husband. It would be easier if I just lived in Europe to do this than Australia but does give me something to work for. Have a safe and wonderful journey and I will be watching with great anticipation on how it goes.
Michelle.

I'm off to do the Portuguese camino in Late September this year by myself and the VF in May with my husband. It would be easier if I just lived in Europe to do this than Australia Michelle.

Just time for a quick reply. I walked from Tui to Santiago a few years ago, in May (I think). There is a report buried away in this forum somewhere.

Anyway, it rained the whole time. I don't mean drizzle, I mean RAIN. That part of Portugal/Spain is the first landfall for all those storms and weather fronts rolling in from the Atlantic. So make sure you have good waterproof gear.

Wish I lived in Europe to do all this stuff. I dare not add up the airfares for all my pilgrimage walks in Europe.

Bob M

Hi all,
I am on day 17 of the VF having left Canterbury on 01 June.
I had the good fortune to meet Paul Chinn and his pal Jerry in Canterbury but as they were cycling I didn't see them after 7am the next day.
While in France, I have met and walked for 3-4 days with a German couple doing Canterbury to Reims. I've also spent a bit of time with an America-raised Russian woman who like me is planning to walk to Rome, plus I spent an evening with two Australian cyclists and an hour with an English cyclist. Also, I chatted with a French couple walking to Canterbury to Rome and today, in Reims, I chatted with a pilgrim walking from Antwerp all the way to Santiago.
So, while it may be a far less travelled route there is company to be had at this time of year.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all,
I am on day 17 of the VF having left Canterbury on 01 June.
I had the good fortune to meet Paul Chinn and his pal Jerry in Canterbury but as they were cycling I didn't see them after 7am the next day.
While in France, I have met and walked for 3-4 days with a German couple doing Canterbury to Reims. I've also spent a bit of time with an America-raised Russian woman who like me is planning to walk to Rome, plus I spent an evening with two Australian cyclists and an hour with an English cyclist. Also, I chatted with a French couple walking to Canterbury to Rome and today, in Reims, I chatted with a pilgrim walking from Antwerp all the way to Santiago.
So, while it may be a far less travelled route there is company to be had at this time of year.
Hi Sheffield James. Would love to hear more about you VF journey as you travel. My husband and I will be embarking on this trip next May. Starting at St Bernard's Pass though as we can't squeeze any more time away from work. We are very excited about it and are looking for as much info as we can get especially about the signage, places to stay, places that are great to spend a bit of time exploring. Do keep the posts up. Enjoy your walk.

Hi Sheffield James. Would love to hear more about you VF journey as you travel. My husband and I will be embarking on this trip next May. Starting at St Bernard's Pass though as we can't squeeze any more time away from work. We are very excited about it and are looking for as much info as we can get especially about the signage, places to stay, places that are great to spend a bit of time exploring. Do keep the posts up. Enjoy your walk.
I'm happy to do so. What I don't put in a forum post while travelling I may still be able to share with you after the event. Enjoy your preparation.

I'm happy to do so. What I don't put in a forum post while travelling I may still be able to share with you after the event. Enjoy your preparation.
Thankyou that will be much appreciated. Safe travels.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will be travelling the VF this Sept from Sarzana to Rome. Prior to Sarzana we will walk through Cinque Terre, not on the VF but so close and so good to miss. I will also post my impressions of the VF when I return.

I will be travelling the VF this Sept from Sarzana to Rome. Prior to Sarzana we will walk through Cinque Terre, not on the VF but so close and so good to miss. I will also post my impressions of the VF when I return.
That's great. Would love to hear about your journey. This Sept I'm actually walking the Portuguese way from Lisbon. So excited for that. I will keep an eye out for your post.

Regards

Bob M

Thank you so much for all this information. I just completed the Camino Frances from Saint Jean to Santiago in May this year and now I am already planning to do the VF from St Bernard to Rome in September. It looks like it is a completely different experience. I welcome all information that can help me plan it. Thank you so much.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks everyone for your info. I've decided to start my walk in Genoa, walk through Cinque Terre then onto the trail to Rome, starting late September. The walking maybe solo but there will always be people to interact with, that should keep me sane.
And Maggie, I'm in the middle of your book, it's a great read. So far it seems you hit a fair amount of rain in Italy, I'm paying particular attention to that. Also, good to know about the GPS, I think one will find it's way in my pack.
I'm so glad it has been useful. I agree with some later comments that Italy is very spiritual still and the sheer novelty makes for great encounters and a lot of spontaneous kindness from the locals so there is a different kind of contact.

My mom returned from Italy yesterday, where she did about five days of the Francigena and never saw another person on the trail. She said it was beautiful but very lonely.
I hope this post finds it't way to you. I am thinking you may already be on your pilgrimage. I am very interested in knowing how many other pilgrimages have you encountered, if you are using a GPS device just how necessary is it and has it been overly difficult to find a place to sleep each night. While I want to experience this pilgrimage without a hiking partner I am hoping to have the opportunity to have some interactions with others. My intention is to begin next August from the Saint Bernard Pass and walk to Rome.
John

I hope this post finds it't way to you. I am thinking you may already be on your pilgrimage. I am very interested in knowing how many other pilgrimages have you encountered, if you are using a GPS device just how necessary is it and has it been overly difficult to find a place to sleep each night. While I want to experience this pilgrimage without a hiking partner I am hoping to have the opportunity to have some interactions with others. My intention is to begin next August from the Saint Bernard Pass and walk to Rome.
John
Hey John, did you mean to reply to my post? Are you asking about the Francigena? If so, as it says in my original post, it was my mother who walked that route in the spring... I returned from doing the Francés in July... Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey John, did you mean to reply to my post? Are you asking about the Francigena? If so, as it says in my original post, it was my mother who walked that route in the spring... I returned from doing the Francés in July... Buen Camino!
Hi John I walked solo from Lausanne to Fidenza sept/ oct this year. I often met other pilgrims in the small hotels I stayed in which I chose from the light foot guide
. As probably they had.
If you stayed in the church municipal hostels I guess you would maybe meet more Pilgrims also .

Also I found the italians to be very welcoming and kind people .

Wishing you a great walk .

cheers walkmag

Having just returned from the Francigena I would like to post some thoughts/observations.
Walked from Sarzana to Rome, 21 days, followed mostly the Lightfoot guide.

Seems like the original trail by Sergeac is now mostly highway, Via Cassia etc.
So the options were to:
1. Walk the highway, no shoulder, Italian drivers, very dangerous, or
2. Follow the alternate routes. Mostly off road but country trails that tend to extend your day by looping and some east / west walking. Lots of pavement. The result were some 30 - 32 km days when expecting 25 km.

Accommodations: not really a problem. The convents and parochials were fabulous, the cheap hotels were a good option too. Weekend walkers filled the accommodations Fri and Sat nights, had to plan ahead.

Number of pilgrims: More than expected, "family" of ~ 15 plus weekenders.

No water fountains as in Camino Frances, plan for it.

Countryside scenery: fabulous.
Towns & history: unbelievable.

I am planning to start my via francigena from Canterbury at the end of this month. I do hope to have some company through France but it doesn't look promising. C'est la vie !!
Hello James. I am interested in your experiencia with the Via Francigena. I am planning on doing the Italian section May next year (2015). Thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Like most secondary Caminos (even those in Spain) it really depends on fate. You could be the only one walking but if you start a day earlier or later there may be a few walkers. Not to fret as there are just as many start points so you may be alone for a couple of days but then suddenly you get someone else that started on the location you were at....

On the Via Portugues a few years ago my walk happened to coincide with that of an organised tour group. Wonderful people, but unfortunately they had pre-booked most of the accommodation. Eventually our stages got out of synch and it was bliss not having to compete for a place to stay each day.

Bob M

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back