• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CamelBak "in" backpack

AggieWM

Time of past OR future Camino
April 26 - June 9, 2016. Sept. 6 - Sept. 25, 2017.
Can anyone help with this? Am I correct in assuming that in an Osprey Talon 33 M/L (that has the feature: Hydration compartment opens between the torso adjustment and main pack compartment, making it easily accessible from the outside), it is acceptable to just use the plastic bag part of the CamelBak without it protective pouch? In other words: am I not running the risk of a leaking plastic CamelBak if I want to use it without its protective pouch for three weeks? Any reactions would be appreciated. Aggie

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Well yes - you can easily use the camelbak bladder without the pouch. Remember the pouch has been made to military specs - just don´t put it in a place with other stuff that might ruin it. Don´t know about the Osprey - just make sure it has a small draining hole opening in the bottom. Not saying it will leak ha ha - the camelbak bladder has been made to very high standards and specifications.
Thank you, Jesper. Aggie

Yes, no problem.

I prefer the Platypus Big Zip mouth... either 2 liter or 3 liter. I installed a quick disconnect kit to the feeding tube, above the mouthpiece, so that I don't have to remove the bladder to refill. I just disconnect the mouthpiece, fill the extra collapsible water pouch I carry with water, and then screw on the connector cap which clicks the pouch into the quick disconnect. You just quickly squeeze the water from the pouch to fill the bladder, disconnect when finished, then click in the mouthpiece.

It takes about 40 seconds to do all that, and I don't have to open up the pack, dig out the bladder, fill the bladder, then put it back into place.

There are quick disconnect kits for Camelback bladders, too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IAMPGM/?tag=casaivar02-20

This video demonstrates the installation and function of the quic disconnect. This shows a water filter installed on the bottle, but the collabsible water pouch works the same way without the filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have an Osprey Mira, the water bladder is very well made, does have a separate area between the stuff compartment and the back vent area. The compartment is water proof, so even if it breaks your stuff won't get wet. It is a complete pain to fill it in it's holding area or put it in full of water without taking half your stuff out of the pack. There is a small drain hole at the bottom of the bladder holding area.

It's a large bladder, so not sure where / how you would carry it outside of the pack.

I have an Osprey Mira, the water bladder is very well made, does have a separate area between the stuff compartment and the back vent area. The compartment is water proof, so even if it breaks your stuff won't get wet. It is a complete pain to fill it in it's holding are or put it in full of water without taking half your stuff out of the pack. There is a small drain hole at the bottom of the bladder holding area.

It's a large bladder, so not sure where / how you would carry it outside of the pack.

Install a quick disconnect kit to the tube above the mouthpiece. No more removing the bladder from the pack just for water refills. :)

In the video below, ignore the water filter that is screwed onto the collapsable water pouch. Everything works the same without the filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's supposed to be used without the pouch
Can anyone help with this? Am I correct in assuming that in an Osprey Talon 33 M/L (that has the feature: Hydration compartment opens between the torso adjustment and main pack compartment, making it easily accessible from the outside), it is acceptable to just use the plastic bag part of the CamelBak without it protective pouch? In other words: am I not running the risk of a leaking plastic CamelBak if I want to use it without its protective pouch for three weeks? Any reactions would be appreciated. Aggie
it's supposed to be used without the pouch. In over 20 years of hard backpacking we've never had a Camelbak leak.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes, no problem.

I prefer the Platypus Big Zip mouth... either 2 liter or 3 liter. I installed a quick disconnect kit to the feeding tube, above the mouthpiece, so that I don't have to remove the bladder to refill. I just disconnect the mouthpiece, fill the extra collapsible water pouch I carry with water, and then screw on the connector cap which clicks the pouch into the quick disconnect. You just quickly squeeze the water from the pouch to fill the bladder, disconnect when finished, then click in the mouthpiece.

It takes about 40 seconds to do all that, and I don't have to open up the pack, dig out the bladder, fill the bladder, then put it back into place.

This video demonstrates the installation and function of the quic disconnect. This shows a water filter installed on the bottle, but the collabsible water pouch works the same way without the filter.

Thanks, Dave. I will look into that.
I have an Osprey Mira, the water bladder is very well made, does have a separate area between the stuff compartment and the back vent area. The compartment is water proof, so even if it breaks your stuff won't get wet. It is a complete pain to fill it in it's holding area or put it in full of water without taking half your stuff out of the pack. There is a small drain hole at the bottom of the bladder holding area.

Thanks for your input, Jo.

My biggest recurring problem with the Camelbak is the bite valve. Multiple times I have set down my pack on the bite valve and ended up with a puddle and wet backpack. There are separate devices to clip the tube to a strap, but I have always lost them. Slipping the tube through a pack loop works fairly well, but the tube always manages to find its way to the ground. It is bad for cleanliness, and very bad for wood floors! My in-pack pouch is waterproof, but I have never had a leak, so I don't know if it has sufficient capacity for the entire Camelbak capacity. The bladders are very indestructible, but don't pack sharp objects next to it (fork, ice spikes, etc.).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used the osprey 50l and it does have a bladder insert. I put a bladder in but never used it. There are enough fountains on the first half to use a 1liter bottle and just pound one and refill to drink to the next fountain

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, no problem.

Thanks for the info, Dave. Aggie

I use the SNEP Convertube Water Bottle Adapter Kit to attach to a Smart Water bottle and carry it in the side pocket, I have used the Camel Back bladder,, I find them impractical and have a tendency to fill too much adding weight. The bottle is easy to get to and refill and if the bottle gets gross buy another bottle of water.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I use the SNEP Convertube Water Bottle Adapter Kit to attach to a Smart Water bottle and carry it in the side pocket, I have used the Camel Back bladder,, I find them impractical and have a tendency to fill too much adding weight. The bottle is easy to get to and refill and if the bottle gets gross buy another bottle of water.

I've never had a problem with adding more water than I wanted to. I don't think that is much of an issue :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.