• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camelbak

SusanH

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked 2014
Hey, I’m thinking that using a camelbak in the summer might seem like a good idea. Im also thinking that it might be difficult to fill in an albergue.
If you have used one, please share your opinions!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey, I’m thinking that using a camelbak in the summer might seem like a good idea. Im also thinking that it might be difficult to fill in an albergue.
I've used one on my last two Caminos. Zero problems filling in an albergue.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Add a quick disconnect system and you won't even need to remove the reservoir from your pack. The video link below shows how it is easily done. Although the video demonstrates installation using a mini water filter as part of the set up, you can easily skip the filter and just attach the cap portion of the quick disconnect to a lightweight collapsible water bottle, like the one in the video. There are other brands of soft collapsible bottles as well.

If you do not have a reservoir yet, consider the Platypus Big Zip models. They make accessing the interior of the reservoir very easy. It comes in various capacities -- although regardless of its capacity you can fill them with as much or as little water as you wish.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F5IAAMU/?tag=casaivar02-20

Add a quick disconnect system and you won't even need to remove the reservoir from your pack. The video link below shows how it is easily done. Although the video demonstrates installation using a mini water filter as part of the set up, you can easily skip the filter and just attach the cap portion of the quick disconnect to a lightweight collapsible water bottle, like the one in the video. There are other brands of soft collapsible bottles as well.

If you do not have a reservoir yet, consider the Platypus Big Zip models. They make accessing the interior of the reservoir very easy. It comes in various capacities -- although regardless of its capacity you can fill them with as much or as little water as you wish.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F5IAAMU/?tag=casaivar02-20
Yeah, what Dave said. I have an Osprey and husband has a Camelbac. Both have quick disconnects and makes refilling a lot easier.

I have been wondering the same thing Susan, thanks for asking the question. My sons who use them insist I get one. I like bottles as I can put them through the dishwasher for a good clean. Thanks for the video davebugg, I like the filter thingy and refilling looks easy enough for a novice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have been wondering the same thing Susan, thanks for asking the question. My sons who use them insist I get one. I like bottles as I can put them through the dishwasher for a good clean. Thanks for the video davebugg, I like the filter thingy and refilling looks easy enough for a novice.

Just keep in mind that you do not need the filter in order to make it work. I never used the filter when on Camino, but I have connected it when backpacking. Or used to, anyway. Now I use the Katadyn BeFree collapsible water bottle/filter.

https://www.rei.com/product/116364/katadyn-befree-collapsible-water-filter-bottle-338-fl-oz

Cleaning a bladder is normally not that difficult, but a little depends on the closure arrangements. I wear dentures, so I always have denture cleaning tablets on me. I half fill my bladder with warm water and add a cleaning tablet and leave for 15-30 minutes. Before rinsing, I force some of the cleaning solution through the tube and bite valve. I might do that every week or so at most.

Just keep in mind that you do not need the filter in order to make it work. I never used the filter when on Camino, but I have connected it when backpacking. Or used to, anyway. Now I use the Katadyn BeFree collapsible water bottle/filter.

https://www.rei.com/product/116364/katadyn-befree-collapsible-water-filter-bottle-338-fl-oz
I purchased a Katadyn water bottle here in Australia, $67 with free postage and discovered it was only 600mls. I returned it as it felt really flimsy. I like a filter and was thinking of getting Brita bottles. I generally drink a lot of water anyway and my sons are saying the bladder thingy is best. I’m so damn confused and wonder if I buy it will I need another protective cover for it or does it just fit into my Osprey....I’m a total novice at this lark.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Cleaning a bladder is normally not that difficult, but a little depends on the closure arrangements. I wear dentures, so I always have denture cleaning tablets on me. I half fill my bladder with warm water and add a cleaning tablet and leave for 15-30 minutes. Before rinsing, I force some of the cleaning solution through the tube and bite valve. I might do that every week or so at most.
Thanks Doug, that sounds simple enough.

I purchased a Katadyn water bottle here in Australia, $67 with free postage and discovered it was only 600mls. I returned it as it felt really flimsy. I like a filter and was thinking of getting Brita bottles. I generally drink a lot of water anyway and my sons are saying the bladder thingy is best. I’m so damn confused and wonder if I buy it will I need another protective cover for it or does it just fit into my Osprey....I’m a total novice at this lark.

Hi, Unie. . .

In case you didn't know, Brita filters and bottles do not filter out bacteria, viruses, or protozoa in the water, which are essential if one is filtering out waterborne pathogens that can cause illness. The are designed to make water 'taste' good and help reduce some chlorine levels, but that's about it.

If the Katadyn bottle was like the one in the link I sent, they come in larger sizes than the 600 ml one you received. And although they are collapsible, they are pretty darn tough. Mine is still going strong after over 3,000 trail miles :)

But the need for water filters is pretty moot, anyway. Spain's water supply is as modern as any other 1st world country. As long as one doesn't drink from sources labeled non-potable, there isn't much to worry about.

For simply refilling a water bladder with the quick disconnect, you can use an inexpensive collapsible bottle like those below, or similar.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AQYY38/?tag=casaivar02-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J2KEGY/?tag=casaivar02-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had any problem filling my Camelback through the top opening at albergues, and at other sources along the way. It fits very neatly in my Osprey 33L pack.
My only problem was around El Cruz de Ferro last April, when the water in the pipe froze and I couldn't drink until well below the snow line!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My only problem was around El Cruz de Ferro last April, when the water in the pipe froze and I couldn't drink until well below the snow line!!
A way of avoiding this is to:
  1. if the bite valve has a tap or similar, leave it open and don't close it
  2. blow the water out of the tube after each drink
  3. if there is any water left in the bite valve, it might still freeze and block the valve. If you put the bite valve in your mouth for a few seconds, it should thaw out.
If it is so cold that the water in the bladder freezes, you should probably be reconsidering whether you should be walking!!

Let us know how it works. I have tried a bladder before and don't particularly like them. I use a Smart Tube system basically because using regular water because I will mix vitamin powders or Zip Fizz into my drink for energy. and it is simple to refill bottles. I carry 2 bottles 1 for mixing drinks and 1 for clean water.

In 2015 I used a CamelBak for a six day trip. It was a circumnavigation of a largish city. Base was a hostel in the city centre.

On purchase I was not told the method for filling while still in my pack.

One refill en route was at a McDonalds. The supervisor said he owned a camelbak and expertly filled it. But didnt mention other filling options.

The experience that week gave me three reasons to stop using a CamelBak at that time. They were:

1) effectively having to unpack my pack to remove the bladder and repack when the bladder was filled;

2) I couldn't tell how much water was left without ... ;

3) having read so much in the forum about dry sacks for everthing, putting water inside my pack seemed somehow "improper".

I kept looking and quickly discovered the Blue Desert SmarTube system. For me the use of this system is simplicity itself and overcomes, for me, my three issues above.

@SusanH , I hope that helps you.

Hi, Unie. . .

In case you didn't know, Brita filters and bottles do not filter out bacteria, viruses, or protozoa in the water, which are essential if one is filtering out waterborne pathogens that can cause illness. The are designed to make water 'taste' good and help reduce some chlorine levels, but that's about it.

If the Katadyn bottle was like the one in the link I sent, they come in larger sizes than the 600 ml one you received. And although they are collapsible, they are pretty darn tough. Mine is still going strong after over 3,000 trail miles :)

But the need for water filters is pretty moot, anyway. Spain's water supply is as modern as any other 1st world country. As long as one doesn't drink from sources labeled non-potable, there isn't much to worry about.

For simply refilling a water bladder with the quick disconnect, you can use an inexpensive collapsible bottle like those below, or similar.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AQYY38/?tag=casaivar02-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J2KEGY/?tag=casaivar02-20
Thanks Dave, I appreciate your info and will have a look and consider it all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
+1 Blue Desert SmarTube. I switched from a Platy Biz Zip.
  • I can easily refill the bottles on the outside of my pack.
  • I can easily see how much water I have.
  • I can easily use one of the bottles to drink from when refilling.
  • I think the points above enable me to manage my water supply and carry less.
  • I can easily clean the tube, and replace the bottle.
This is just my preference.:D:cool:

My son used one on our Camino in 2016. He had no problems filling it in albergues. It did seem a bit more effort to fill in the middle of the day that the water bottle I was using. It also means more water weight at the start of the day if you fill it up rather than taking a smaller water bottle (or water bottles) to be re-filled thoughout the day.

On my last Camino, I took a system with the same kind of hose arrangement for hands-free sipping but which attached to any water bottle rather than a camelback. That seemed the ideal compromise for me. If you are using a poncho, you will want something with this kind of hose arrangement.

On my last Camino, I took a system with the same kind of hose arrangement for hands-free sipping but which attached to any water bottle rather than a camelback.
I did the same for my first Camino, using a collapsible bottle, but since it was August/September the water got hot in the side pocket of my backpack. So I put it inside my backpack, thus inventing my own Camelback.😄

I too switched from Camelbak to Smarttubes (combines the best of both worlds in my opinion)
But you might want to take one of the adaptors because threads in europe were not all the same as in the USA

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The tubes get gross if not cleaned regularly. They turn black-green with ??? Buy a liter of water and refill it. You will never need to carry more than that.

The tubes get gross if not cleaned regularly. They turn black-green with ??? Buy a liter of water and refill it. You will never need to carry more than that.
If you are continuously using the camelback or other system with tubes they don't need to be cleaned, as you are constantly putting fresh water through them.

If you are continuously using the camelback or other system with tubes they don't need to be cleaned, as you are constantly putting fresh water through them.
Anything you put your mouth on will eventually become tainted if not cleaned.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

No, they don't. For that to occur they would need to sit, unused and improperly stored for a considerable length of time.

The exception to that would be if the reservoir were used with anything other than water. Liquids which may contain any amount of sugars or other bacterial or algae food media would be able to accelerate such growth; but then that would also be the same for a water bottle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything you put your mouth on will eventually become tainted if not cleaned.

Not in the scaremongering manner which you posted.

It is easy to provide the periodic cleaning for hydration bladders prior to their storage, or at the same frequency one does a water bottle while in daily use.

I think the risks of bacterial growth have almost disappeared with the use of anti-bacterial compounds and other treatments. I have been using Source water bladders for nearly a decade now. There were issues with an earlier generation of their bladders, as well as other brands that I had previously used. I have been using a later generation made with better anti-bacterial treatments without having any noticeable build up in the tubes. If the reservoir shows any signs of being 'slimy', it is easily cleaned. You could be confident other makers are taking similar approaches with the materials they are using.

I will blow the water in the tube back into the reservoir on hot days so that it isn't exposed to direct sunlight. This makes sure the first mouthful or so hasn't been getting hot in the sun, and unpleasant to drink. That is clearly going to bring with it some saliva. So I do think it reasonable to be concerned about such contamination, even if you aren't blowing back like this. That said, I do rinse the tube regularly, and clean the bladder from time to time with a cleaning solution.

Last edited:

€60,-
Camelbacks are great in many respects, apart from monitoring contents and the amount of water you are actually consuming. I found I was carrying more water than I needed (as in I had about a litre or so left at the end of every day = 1kg). I changed to a 750ml bottle with straw which I carried on my shoulder strap; easy to monitor or refill. Finished each day with 250ml or less = much less wasted weight carried each day = much happier feet!

Camelbacks are great in many respects, apart from monitoring contents and the amount of water you are actually consuming. I found I was carrying more water than I needed (as in I had about a litre or so left at the end of every day = 1kg). I changed to a 750ml bottle with straw which I carried on my shoulder strap; easy to monitor or refill. Finished each day with 250ml or less = much less wasted weight carried each day = much happier feet!

I've read similar comments, and I thought to share what I do.

Because I use a quick disconnect/refill system, I use a very lightweight collapsible bottle, about .9 liters, similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ASIRMO/?tag=casaivar02-20

It is filled about 3/4 full and kept in a side pocket which can be easily reached with the pack on. Then, I will fill my reservoir with just the amount of water that it takes to reach the next water resupply point. If it is hot, or the water source is uncertain, I add as needed. Usually I do not carry more than 3/4 liter, unless conditions warrant.

The collapsible bottle provides a buffer if needed.

I have used the camelbak for seven (7) years on weekly bike rides 30-100 miles). I only fill it with purified water and have a small container with gatorade (needed to maintain electrolytes) or pickle juice. It does get hot in Houston's summers. Although I did not bring the bladder for my first Camino F in 2018 I will for 2019.
  1. Don't add anything but water to the bladder
  2. The body can handle 33 oz of h20 per hour but you do not need to carry that weight as there are water refills along the camino (see Brierley guide)
  3. The idea of the hose is its CONVENIENT, no reaching for bottles and its RIGHT there so you can sip every few minutes to keep the body HYDRATED on a continuous basis.
  4. #1 Rule in Biking "drink before you need it" same in hiking.take a sip take it often.
  5. I noticed many Pelegrinos drinking Cafe Con Leche. I do it too, yum, however caffeine does cause Hydration and we should drink water on the side with that cup.
  6. Most backpacks now come with a compartment for a bladder or water container, usually close to the body to keep the balance of the backpack
  7. You comments most appreciated.....
btw anyone walking Camino Frances 1st week of May 2019..
The PereGringo

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

I am used to using a Camelbak at home but second-guessed myself and tried to just go with bottles on the Camino. After 3 days I immediately went out and bought a bladder. :p I had a small 1.5-liter bladder (Altus brand - it leaked so I wouldn't recommend that brand) and that volume was perfect as it limited the amount so I didn't carry too much water. I also had a collapsible 1L water bottle that I would drink from when my pack was off. I supplimented all this with a collapsible cup that I'd use to drink from every potable fountain I came across, to ensure I stayed hydrated. I only ever ran out of water ONCE and it was on a very hot day and I ran out just before I reached my albergue.

As far as using the bladder goes, it was easy to use; I never refilled mid-day but next time I go I will be taking a quick refill thingey for it so I CAN drink from it and refill midday so I don't have to use my water bottle, which makes the weight of my pack uneven, being stuck in the side pouch.

If you can, try to borrow one while you train and see how you like it and practice putting it into your pack with your gear. I made sure to refill my bladder before I went to bed at the albergue so I didn't have to squeeze it into an already packed bag.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back