Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.

camera bag

BEACHCOMBER

Year of past OR future Camino
PLAN FOR 2017
I am planning for my first camino.
being a avid photographer, i want to bring a good dslr camera on my camino.
I need suggestions on how to protect my camera from theft as a solo hiker and bad weather, but still have quick ease of access such as a water proof belt pack or bag.

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

wayfarer

Staff member
Welcome to the forum Beachcomber, I just used my samsung smartphone but there are many others here who brought full size cameras and will give you best advice on your questions.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.

mountaingoat999

we are due out Jan 2016
I need suggestions on how to protect my camera from theft as a solo hiker and bad weather, but still have quick ease of access such as a water proof belt pack or bag.

your need to keep it with you all the time......I carried a ortlieb waterproof case when taking a DSLR.. when you go for a shower no problem hanging it on the back of the door..
as in anyplace you go with a DSLR leave it and you could lose it.....same on the camino...in a private room or with others in a small albergue you can relax a bit.its not the camera it the memories in the photos.......with a ortlieb camera case there is no such thing as bad weather.....

upload_2015-9-28_15-41-48.jpeg

Christobal72

Camino Frances-Finisterre (oct 2014)
Camino Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre-Santiago (feb 2015)
Via de la plata (oct 2015)
Camino Portuguese Porto-Santiago (may 2016)
Camino del norte/primitivo sept 2016
Hey
I use a bag from thinktank called Hubba hubba hiney wich i just love! You attache it to the beltstrap of your backpack. It has a raincover and also a shoulder strap wich you can take off when you have it with the backpack. Works great!! You can see it on my profile picture!

GreatDane

Veteran Member
CF to Burgos Sept/Oct 2014, Burgos to Astorga April 2016, Astorga to SdC 2017
I walked a year ago (I think I was in Belorado a year ago today) with my Fuji X100S. So not DSLR but large. I kept it in a S2S (Sea to Summit) UltraSil dry bag (not intended for complete submersion) and the dry bag went into my Macabi Skirt pocket with the roll top closure locked around my belt when ever I wasn't actively taking photos. When I showered, my camera in the dry bag was in the stall with me along with my other valuables.

Edited to add, I think next year I may use a ZPacks Multi-Pack as a chest pouch/camera bag.

Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

BEACHCOMBER

PLAN FOR 2017
your need to keep it with you all the time......I carried a ortlieb waterproof case when taking a DSLR.. when you go for a shower no problem hanging it on the back of the door..
as in anyplace you go with a DSLR leave it and you could lose it.....same on the camino...in a private room or with others in a small albergue you can relax a bit.its not the camera it the memories in the photos.......with a ortlieb camera case there is no such thing as bad weather.....

View attachment 21464
Thank you
I like the detailed description on the bag on the ortieb web site.
Buen Camino

jeffnd

March/April 2014
I carried my camera (Canon EOS M) in the older version of this bag.
http://shop.highsierra.com/backpack...ml?dwvar_58459XXXX_color=Black/Silver#start=4

When the rain started, I put the whole bag into a Sea to Summit dry-bag. This meant that my camera was inaccessible during the rain. And if I could find shelter from the weather, it was a pain to unpack it just to snap a few pics and then have to re-pack everything.

What camera do you have now? Is it weather sealed? The reason I ask is that even if you have a great camera, it does you no good if you can't use it! (Which is what I learned on my Camino!)

GreatDane

Veteran Member
CF to Burgos Sept/Oct 2014, Burgos to Astorga April 2016, Astorga to SdC 2017
Hey
I use a bag from thinktank called Hubba hubba hiney
For those that are interested, the Hubba Hubba Hiney is one pound. (I just had to go look it up!!)

Thrice I brought a Nikon AW100 it is not a DSLR but it is waterproof and nearly bombproof, it fits in the belt pocket of my pack. Theft, can happen at home or away. Enjoy your Camino. Put the DSLR in a light weight waterproof bag with bubble wrap in you pack for planned photos. Have a small waterproof camera at the ready for snapshots.
P.S. I bought my camera used for about $100 and it can do a lot of tricks..........
Willy, Utah, USA

Fritz

Frances SJPDP- Muxia (2013)
Frances San Sebastian-Bilbao-Belarado-SDC (2016)
Frances SJPDP(2020)
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.

jrm

I took my camera and placed it on a Peak Design camera clip that was attached to my backpack strap:

https://peakdesign.com/store/capturepro

I was planning to bring my DSLR, but replaced it last minute with a Canon EOSM (basically a mirrorless DSLR). However, this solution would've been great for a DSLR. It kept my camera always at hand. I knew that if I kept it in a bag, I would struggle to take all the pictures and video that I wanted to. Having it strapped to my shoulder was awesome. This clip would even work really well on a belt. At night I would just secure my camera in my backpack. No worries.

If rain is an issue, I would also look at using the capture clip in conjunction with another product they make for just such a purpos called "The Shell".

I travel often, and I would not have hesitated at all to use this setup with my DSLR.

(pictures form the manufacturer)
capture%20burkard-225x225.jpg

shell.png

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg