• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camera bag

BEACHCOMBER

Time of past OR future Camino
PLAN FOR 2017
I am planning for my first camino.
being a avid photographer, i want to bring a good dslr camera on my camino.
I need suggestions on how to protect my camera from theft as a solo hiker and bad weather, but still have quick ease of access such as a water proof belt pack or bag.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome to the forum Beachcomber, I just used my samsung smartphone but there are many others here who brought full size cameras and will give you best advice on your questions.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.

I need suggestions on how to protect my camera from theft as a solo hiker and bad weather, but still have quick ease of access such as a water proof belt pack or bag.

your need to keep it with you all the time......I carried a ortlieb waterproof case when taking a DSLR.. when you go for a shower no problem hanging it on the back of the door..
as in anyplace you go with a DSLR leave it and you could lose it.....same on the camino...in a private room or with others in a small albergue you can relax a bit.its not the camera it the memories in the photos.......with a ortlieb camera case there is no such thing as bad weather.....

upload_2015-9-28_15-41-48.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey
I use a bag from thinktank called Hubba hubba hiney wich i just love! You attache it to the beltstrap of your backpack. It has a raincover and also a shoulder strap wich you can take off when you have it with the backpack. Works great!! You can see it on my profile picture!

I walked a year ago (I think I was in Belorado a year ago today) with my Fuji X100S. So not DSLR but large. I kept it in a S2S (Sea to Summit) UltraSil dry bag (not intended for complete submersion) and the dry bag went into my Macabi Skirt pocket with the roll top closure locked around my belt when ever I wasn't actively taking photos. When I showered, my camera in the dry bag was in the stall with me along with my other valuables.

Edited to add, I think next year I may use a ZPacks Multi-Pack as a chest pouch/camera bag.

your need to keep it with you all the time......I carried a ortlieb waterproof case when taking a DSLR.. when you go for a shower no problem hanging it on the back of the door..
as in anyplace you go with a DSLR leave it and you could lose it.....same on the camino...in a private room or with others in a small albergue you can relax a bit.its not the camera it the memories in the photos.......with a ortlieb camera case there is no such thing as bad weather.....

View attachment 21464
Thank you
I like the detailed description on the bag on the ortieb web site.
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I carried my camera (Canon EOS M) in the older version of this bag.
http://shop.highsierra.com/backpack...ml?dwvar_58459XXXX_color=Black/Silver#start=4

When the rain started, I put the whole bag into a Sea to Summit dry-bag. This meant that my camera was inaccessible during the rain. And if I could find shelter from the weather, it was a pain to unpack it just to snap a few pics and then have to re-pack everything.

What camera do you have now? Is it weather sealed? The reason I ask is that even if you have a great camera, it does you no good if you can't use it! (Which is what I learned on my Camino!)

Hey
I use a bag from thinktank called Hubba hubba hiney
For those that are interested, the Hubba Hubba Hiney is one pound. (I just had to go look it up!!)

Thrice I brought a Nikon AW100 it is not a DSLR but it is waterproof and nearly bombproof, it fits in the belt pocket of my pack. Theft, can happen at home or away. Enjoy your Camino. Put the DSLR in a light weight waterproof bag with bubble wrap in you pack for planned photos. Have a small waterproof camera at the ready for snapshots.
P.S. I bought my camera used for about $100 and it can do a lot of tricks..........
Willy, Utah, USA

€46,-
I took my camera and placed it on a Peak Design camera clip that was attached to my backpack strap:

https://peakdesign.com/store/capturepro

I was planning to bring my DSLR, but replaced it last minute with a Canon EOSM (basically a mirrorless DSLR). However, this solution would've been great for a DSLR. It kept my camera always at hand. I knew that if I kept it in a bag, I would struggle to take all the pictures and video that I wanted to. Having it strapped to my shoulder was awesome. This clip would even work really well on a belt. At night I would just secure my camera in my backpack. No worries.

If rain is an issue, I would also look at using the capture clip in conjunction with another product they make for just such a purpos called "The Shell".

I travel often, and I would not have hesitated at all to use this setup with my DSLR.

(pictures form the manufacturer)
capture%20burkard-225x225.jpg

shell.png

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.