• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camigos in S Devon - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Hola all, and a belated happy new year.

As the weather improves we begin to think about getting together again.
Suggested date is Monday 29th February, venue Darts Farm Topsham near Exeter, just to be sociable so no agenda.
We usually meet in the deli-cafe near the fish bar, not the main restaurant. Come and go as we need between about 11.30am and 2.00pm. Snacks available at the deli counter or the fish and chip bar.
Meeting here gives folk the chance to visit Cotswold Outdoor if they want/need new kit. Then maybe Exeter later in the year.:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Suggested date is Monday 29th February, venue Darts Farm Topsham near Exeter, just to be sociable so no agenda.
We usually meet in the deli-cafe near the fish bar, not the main restaurant. Come and go as we need between about 11.30am and 2.00pm. Snacks available at the deli counter or the fish and chip bar.
Meeting here gives folk the chance to visit Cotswold Outdoor if they want/need new kit. Then maybe Exeter later in the year.:)
Sounds good. :)

I will look forward to meeting up for the first time.

Mike

I live in Gloucestershire, would love to meet fellow UK forum members/pilgrims - and Exeter is an easy run down the M5.

I shall be away skiing at the end of February, but wish you all a fun time. Please keep in touch if you meet up again later in the year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Not sure whether I will be away then but will come if I can. Thanks for planning it.

Hi Valerie and Terry -
Have a GREAT day! I'll be with you in spirit.
Best, best wishes to you both -
Jenny

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Should be able to make that. And didn't someone say that Cotswold gives a discount to pilgrims - was it CSJ members or forum members? They do for National Trust. Looking at my mountain of gear - there's nothing there I haven't got - or is there....
See you all there.

@julia-t - hopefully we will meet you later in the year. Just watch this thread for further dates.
@miguel_gp - maybe later in the year when we could have a Saturday - probably in Exeter as Darts Farm is very crowded on Saturdays
@hecate105 - yes Cotswold give a discount for CSJ, but not sure how we prove it. Maybe take the last Bulletin with us?, or a credencial.... They also give discounts to National Trust, or did last year.

Would ove to meet up, although not sure I am in Devon on 29th - will let you know nearer the time

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Cotswold gives 10% discount to National Trust and 15% to the Ramblers. Worth joining the latter for the discount.

Isn't this site intended for the El Camino routes?
We are forum members and pilgrims/would be pilgrims meeting to share about the Camino. We meet in S Devon because of where we live. The 'Camigos' comes from Camino Amigos :) a name suggested by @miguel_gp , one of our group from a little further afield.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, this is a group of mainly regular Camino walkers / cyclists from the South West / South of England who meet up a few times a year to discuss all things Camino (and some things not). Tia Valeria and her husband Tio Tel organise the get togethers and it is open to anyone who wants to come along, experienced in the Camino or not, to chat. Not just limited to Western folk, @JennyH94 has visited at least a couple of times and is located some of the time in Sydney.

Thanks Mig, our replies crossed in cyber space.

For avoidance of doubt it is worth repeating this post from William way back in 2010

This area of the forum is to help prospective and past European pilgrims to introduce themselves to each other and perhaps to make contact. It is not intended as an alternative to the general forums but to make the organisation of meetings and get-togethers easier.
You might like to include details such as the region you are from, whether you have already walked a Camino route or are planning to in the future, and which route(s).
It is probably worthwhile putting the nearest large town to you in your profile so that people can see roughly whereabouts you are located. This can be done in the user control panel which can be accessed towards the top of the page just above the envelope icon.
(More personal details like real name, phone number etc might best be shared later via PM if you decide you want to make contact with someone.)
Buen Camino!

Blessings to all
Tio Tel

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
........................ Monday 29th February, venue Darts Farm Topsham near Exeter, just to be sociable so no agenda.
Several folk hope to be there and for those from further afield there is a bus from Exeter which stops just by the Darts Farm outlet. Also plenty of free parking if coming by car.

I,ll plan to be there. Starting my Camino April 13th from SJPP. Be great to talk to somebody who is planning to do it or has done it. See you there.

Just to remind folk about our get-together next Monday at Darts Farm (see first post or quote above) :). Looking forward to seeing you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A note for those travelling from the Plymouth/Torquay direction. If you usually would turn off to reach Topsham via Bridge Road and the Countess Wear roundabout be aware that there are major roadworks reducing Bridge Rd and the swing bridge to single lane traffic in both directions. We plan to go to the Sandygate turn off and then take the Exmouth road. Keep straight on at the next rdbt (fire station) then right at the pub, signed back towards Topsham. Darts Farm is then a short distance down the road on the right.

I have had a last minute change of plan - so I can get to Darts Farm today. Whoopee! Really looking forward to meeting up again. I am planning to walk again in October but haven't decided which route to take.

:) See you there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It was good to see so many of you at Darts Farm. Terry says that there were 18 of us :), past and future pilgrims and their supporters.
A late arrival asked if anyone has walked the Portugues. If so could you please respond here initially as she is watching this thread.
Buen Camino to all walking soon.

Great to see everyone today at Darts, thank you Tia and Terry for organising it. I now have a pile of old bulletins to read...
I have not walked, but I have cycled the Portuguese - so if I can be of any help please pm me. (I say cycled - half the time I am pushing anyway!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello all,
I have only just seen this post about the group and was very sad to see I have missed your meetings as I am based in Plympton, Plymouth.
I completed the Portuguese from Porto last May with one day missed so I am returning at the end of April to do it all again. I am happy to help with anything about my experience.

Sad that you missed this but we look forward to meeting you later in the year. No dates yet but maybe not until September as so many people are walking during the summer, although we won't totally rule out late June/early July.
One 'event' some of us have been to is the Devon RSCM choirs Advent Carol service at Buckfast Abbey. Usually the Saturday afternoon before Advent Sunday. When it is confirmed as taking place this year I will post here with times, as for last year. Meanwhile the probable date is in my diary.

Hello all,
I have only just seen this post about the group and was very sad to see I have missed your meetings as I am based in Plympton, Plymouth.
I completed the Portuguese from Porto last May with one day missed so I am returning at the end of April to do it all again. I am happy to help with anything about my experience.

Hi, I am trying to decide between Norte and Portuguese. Probably will go later this year or 2017. Would appreciate your thoughts on your experience of the Portuguese. Did the ingles in 2014. Thanks

Hi Bisnick and Ver. Look forward to meeting you next time. Another pilgrim, Jane has contacted me asking when next Camigo meet-up is...
I have cycled the Portuguese (and most of the Norte) I think the Portuguese is far more beautiful - and it is lovely to have the experience of Portuguese and Spanish culture, food, wine and people along the way.
And it seemed less crowded (in april). The Norte is stunning with amazing sea views along the way, but way more steep hills!
Bisnich would have more up to date info...
I for one would love another get-together in june/july - never seem to get to chat to everyone. And since I will not be walking/cycling this summer (boo hoo) it is nice to get a 'fix' of Camino madness from those who have just been or are about to go! (Stephen off soon!)

Reactions: Ver
I for one would love another get-together in june/july - never seem to get to chat to everyone. And since I will not be walking/cycling this summer (boo hoo) it is nice to get a 'fix' of Camino madness from those who have just been or are about to go! (Stephen off soon!)
If folk are wanting a get-together then can we consider a Saturday, for those who cannot do weekdays. Maybe wait until a bit later sort a date and take a few views on which suits most - late June/early July. :)

Hi Bisnick and Ver. Look forward to meeting you next time. Another pilgrim, Jane has contacted me asking when next Camigo meet-up is...
I have cycled the Portuguese (and most of the Norte) I think the Portuguese is far more beautiful - and it is lovely to have the experience of Portuguese and Spanish culture, food, wine and people along the way.
And it seemed less crowded (in april). The Norte is stunning with amazing sea views along the way, but way more steep hills!
Bisnich would have more up to date info...
I thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Having returned from Spain just over a week ago we are looking at diary dates. A trip into Exeter has shown real difficulties with P&R, roadworks etc so for a Camigos get together we will wait until autumn and then check out whether Exeter or Darts Farm is the best venue.

However we have been asked to give a talk on pilgrimage, with photos, at Chudleigh Parish Church on Saturday 25th June. Coffee/tea and biscuits at 7.00pm and the talk at 7.30pm. Not a Camigos 'get together' but you would be welcome if you would like to hear about our various pilgrimage experiences. Parking at church is very limited but there is a public car park off the town square - signed at the War Memorial.

Buen Camino to all walking at present

Good luck with the talk - a great opportunity to share the joy and excitement of the Camino

I will be getting married then :) so will be in trouble if I miss the ceremony ;), however important the Camino is !

Good luck with the talk - a great opportunity to share the joy and excitement of the Camino

I will be getting married then :) so will be in trouble if I miss the ceremony ;), however important the Camino is !
Best wishes for the day and for the future. Maybe we will see you both one day

€46,-
Oh, so sorry I won't be able to make it.

I have a family reunion that weekend, with my youngest son home from Australia.
(Actually, it's not 'home from' any more, but back from... Quite sad really from my point of view but it's his life and I want him to be happy so, big smiles and positive comments all round!)

But please do keep in touch, I'd love to meet you both sometime, plus Hampshire and Mrs Tim (congratulations and all best wishes for a very happy future together, may it include several Caminos), Devon Mike, and others in the west country.

Thank you Julia-t !!

I look forward to next meeting

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sorry Tia and Tio, I return from Santiago that day after a week on the Ingles so also cannot make it. I hope the talk goes well and I look forward to meeting up later in the year.

All the best as well Tim for your wedding day.

Mig

Ha !
So I told all you nice people that my soon-to-be-wife was not really interested in the Camino or walking it.
But she surprised me with this ! She asked a jeweller to convert her granddad's ring (which obviously has large emotional significance) from a simple gold band to .... this (see picture).
alla_new_ring.png
[Ignore that it is on left hand - in her country (Ukraine), wedding rings are worn on the right hand.]

Maybe the Camino is calling her ! ))) She says it is to remind her of me. Which is great !! But I wonder, maybe ....

[Sorry, slightly off-topic - I apologise !]

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Looking in our diaries and trying to find a Saturday. Possibilities are 3rd and 10th September and 15th October, and they are not certain. Weekdays are easier, but don't suit everyone.
Just trailing this to see any responses before making any firm suggestion.
Exeter gets ever more difficult so may need to be out at Darts Farm again. It worked well before.
:)

Thank you for posting.

I will be unable to make the 3rd - it's my daughter's wedding day!
So having had Saturday 3rd off work, I shall have to work on the 10th.
And also the 15th October as I shall only just have returned from my next Camino walk a couple of days before.

But hopefully I will be able to join you next year on one of your gatherings.

With best wishes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
At the moment 3rd of Sept and 15th Oct would be ok for me. Not been before so it will be nice to put a face to other pilgrims locally.

Hi, 10th for me, the 3rd September and 15 October I am working.

Mike

I would love to meet up with you all again, and it would be great share inspiration and support before I leave for my 2nd Camino on 8th September -( very excited about this!) So for me it would have to be 3rd September which unfortunately does not seem to be such a popular date for others.

Lou

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 15th October looks good for us as well, so we will make that a date at Darts Farm. It might be possible to have a mini-meet up on either 3rd or 10th September (or around then) too, depending on whether others also opt in. See next post.
Edit:- Not meeting now on 15th October please see a later post

Last edited:
Hi, 10th for me, the 3rd September and 15 October I am working.

Mike
I would love to meet up with you all again, and it would be great share inspiration and support before I leave for my 2nd Camino on 8th September -( very excited about this!) So for me it would have to be 3rd September which unfortunately does not seem to be such a popular date for others.

Lou
Would either Monday 5th or Tuesday 6th September be any good for you? Still at Darts Farm

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Would either Monday 5th or Tuesday 6th September be any good for you? Still at Darts Farm

Hi Valarie it might be Ok, I don't think they have done the rotas at my work yet so could ask for either one of those days to be clear. Weekends is a no no, all the other staff are very protective of their weekends off, as I am as well, could take annual leave but I am doing a Camino in November and I am trying to use what free holiday I have to extend the two weeks I have to turn Almeria to Cordoba from a scary 14/15 days into a more relaxed 16/17 days.

Hi Valarie it might be Ok, I don't think they have done the rotas at my work yet so could ask for either one of those days to be clear. ..
Can you check out September 5th and 6th Mike please? and then post which of those dates you can make. @Louly can do either at present, before her September 8th Camino.... so we will take your free day as the best one. :)

Last time we were at Darts Farm we went to the same cafeteria/delicatessan area as previously (left at the main entrance) but sat 'round the corner' where there is more room. Also a nice circular table if it is free.
Newcomers please note - Not the restaurant (which is to the right at the main entrance).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just to confirm:-
Darts Farm on Tuesday 6th September, cafe by the delicatessan in the little room just round the corner towards the toys.

Then same place on Saturday October 15th for those who can make that day.
Edit:- Not meeting now on 15th October please see a later post

Arrive about 11.30 onwards. Hopefully the fish and chip bar will be open too giving more choice for those wanting lunch. Food also available from the coffee bar/delicatessan.

Look forward to seeing folk there.

Last edited:
Just a reminder about next Tuesday (6th September). Hope to see some of you there. :)

Looking forward to seeing you on Tuesday.
Many thanks to Tia Valeria for organising this.
Lou

Hi all, I am looking forward to my first meeting with you all. I live in Plymouth and if anyone in the area has difficulty getting up to the meeting I am able to transport you. I have a Ford Galaxy with plenty of room. please don't worry about contacting.

Look forward to meeting you @Bisnick :)

Good to see you all today. I have sent you a PM about the socks @Louly .
For those who could not make it today - hopefully we will see some of you on October 15th.
:):)

Was hoping to get to the oct 15th - but due to an unexpected windfall coinciding with our 25th wedding anniversary - we will be in Jordan! Hope that there might be another - perhaps sometime in jan-march.
Hoping to cycle the Via de Plata in april with a Thai friend - who is now chomping at the bit to go a' pilgrimage! So particularly good to get some up-to-date info on the route/albergues etc - I think Daisy was going this sum/aut...?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Have a great time @hecate105 and congratulations on your Silver Wedding anniversary.
Thinking about October 15th at Darts Farm. Many people are away or working so it would be helpful if folk could indicate if they are able to meet then. We are happy to be there even for a few, but if no-one is free then we can rethink - still for a Saturday sometime.
Edit:- Not meeting now on 15th October please see next post

Last edited:
As many folk are away etc we think it best to postpone the meeting/get together on October 15th to a more convenient date. Not sure when, but maybe into the New Year and before folk prepare for their (next) pilgrimage. Maybe Exeter will be less of a nightmare to access by then as well.

Not a get together as such but if anyone is interested the Advent Carol service at Buckfast Abbey is on Saturday November 26th at 4.30pm. Tea rooms open but if you want tea then it is best to arrive before 3.30 when the choirs get there en masse. Own transport essential IMO. We cannot offer lifts this year as we will have choir members in our car, sorry.

Just a reminder for anyone in the Exeter/Plymouth area who is interested in the Advent Carol service at Buckfast Abbey
Not a get together as such but if anyone is interested the Advent Carol service at Buckfast Abbey is on Saturday November 26th at 4.30pm. Tea rooms open but if you want tea then it is best to arrive before 3.30 when the choirs get there en masse. Own transport essential IMO. We cannot offer lifts this year as we will have choir members in our car, sorry.

Happy Christmas to you all. Hopefully we can meet up again in the New Year.
Buen Camino to anyone walking now

We have just started a new thread for 2017 'Camigos in S Devon 2017', so any future dates will go there.
As for the local walks thread I will ask the moderators to lock this one - to avoid confusion by having two Camigos in S Devon threads running.:)
Happy New Year and 'see' you over on the new thread

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.