• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camigos in S Devon 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
And to you both. Thanks for organising the 2018 get together.
Buen Camino @Waka.
We will be suggesting a get together at some time but have no dates in mind at present.
We won't be going to Spain this year. We have just cancelled our booking as our payment was nearly due and still no certainty of arrangements re car documentation. Sad, but we decided that although planning some walking we did need the car and not rely on public transport.
Planning now on walking the northern end of Offa's Dyke and also around Tideswell (Peak District).
Buen Camino to you all :)

It is still some time ahead but we have in mind a get-together at the end of April. Suggesting Tuesday 30th at Darts Farm. Should have been our first full day in Spain, but we will enjoy the Camigos company instead.

Sorry I wont be around as will be walking towards A Guarda on the Portuguese Senda Litoral that day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry I wont be around as will be walking towards A Guarda on the Portuguese Senda Litoral that day.
Buen Camino Nick

I hope to make that date - as long as my husband doesn't whisk me away for ,my birthday a couple of days before...! (hint, hint husband)
It would be nice to catch up - and I hope the weather will be better by then!

Just to make sure that any of you who have been walking and not following the forum are aware of our get-together on 30th April at Darts Farm, just outside of Exeter. I will add the cafe/shop plan later for any new comers so you can find us easily.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would love to be there but I am working that day. Buen Camino to you all.

It is still some time ahead but we have in mind a get-together at the end of April. Suggesting Tuesday 30th at Darts Farm. Should have been our first full day in Spain, but we will enjoy the Camigos company instead.

Good Morning Tia Valeria,
I live in Uplyme and would be delighted if I could invite myself to your proposed Camigos meeting at Dart's farm on April 30th.
Lizbeth

Good Morning Tia Valeria,
I live in Uplyme and would be delighted if I could invite myself to your proposed Camigos meeting at Dart's farm on April 30th.
Lizbeth
Look forward to seeing you @lisbeth . I will post the Darts Farm plan later:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here is the plan:-
darts farm.jpg

If the large round table is free could the first to arrive use it please.
Not sure if the outlet is still Chrissie's but location is the same.
Happy Easter

Thank you. I look forward to getting the details and meeting up with everyone.
L.
Just realised I did not put a time - sorry folks - :eek:
If we meet from about 11.30 until around 2pm. However arrive when you like and leave when you need to do so is the general pattern. Coffee/tea etc and snacks available at the delicatessan counter. Fish and chips from the Fish shack just outside from the cafe area.
It is easiest to arrange to meet inside as on the plan (post#13), but if it is a lovely day we could always move outside to the Fish shack picnic tables.
I will try to remember to bring my little camino-shell sign to put on the table.
All past, future and would be pilgrims welcome.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The Camino sign might turn into our spare forum badge.... I cannot find the other sign :(
Look forward to seeing some of you on Tuesday (30th April) .
If you are a CSJ member and want anything from Cotswold Outdoors then remember to bring a note of the CSJ discount code with you. I assume it is still valid this year.
Until Tuesday......:)

Unfortunately due to being rained off today I have to work tomorrow so won't make it to Darts....! Hope you all have a good Camino chat....
If anyone is wanting a UK based pilgrimage cycle - check out pilgrim's piecemeal progress on wordpress... I have put the route from Glastonbury to Hopton-on-Sea on there - and would love any feedback from pilgrims on my directions/route/info... Ric and I will be doing the section from Carn les Boel in Cornwall to Glastonbury in June - which will complete the route from coast to coast.... This is a pilgrim cycle route - the walker's route is already largely signed and has a guidebook at least from Cornwall to Avebury.... (Micael and Mary Pilgrim's Way)
It keeps us busy until we make it back to Spain!!

We will miss you @hecate105 . See you another time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Hoots, new forum members from Exeter, have asked to meet up to talk about their pilgrimage planned for early September. We have said we can meet them Wednesday 28th - in Exeter at the Cathedral cafe about 11.00am. (We will need to confirm this.) If any others are around then I am sure that they will be pleased to meet you too.

We can arrange an October date after that so will be looking to hear when suits most people. Most likely at Darts Farm. Preferred days being Tuesday to Saturday as the Fish Shack does not open on Mondays.
:)

Great - I should be able to make it on the 28th. Can't make October as I'm dog-sitting in Guernsey!

Only just back from fetching grandchildren. See you on the 28th in the Cathedral cafe. @Hoots might be delayed until about 12.00 but we will be there about 11.00 due to bus time in- need to leave for the 1.30 bus.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just to make sure that folk see about our meeting up in Exeter on Wednesday 28th (see post above) and we will arrange a Darts Farm get together for October after that.

I still hope to make it tomorrow, but have elderly dog I am looking after, so if no dogs at cafe won't make it!

I have only just found this thread and would very much like to come along and meet local Camigos. So I will head to the Cathedral cafe for 11 am. Gosh I am so pleased to have found this thread today!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Look forward to meeting you CarolamS!

I have only just found this thread and would very much like to come along and meet local Camigos. So I will head to the Cathedral cafe for 11 am. Gosh I am so pleased to have found this thread today!
Glad you found us and look forward to meeting you.
Look out for the forum style badge on a table. Looks like it might be raining so inside best.

Not sure about dogs @hecate105 as there is nothing on the website. Thinking now that November, rather than October, is best for a Darts Farm meeting. Would that suit?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It was good to meet you all today. Buen Camino to those walking soon.
We will look at a date in November for Darts Farm, probably a Saturday again, which might make it easier for some to join us. We have had a couple of Tuesdays this past year which does not always suit those working.
Usual timing is around 11.00am until around 2.00pm - come and go as you please. No set agenda but we chat and enjoy the refreshments available from the deli/drinks counter or the 'Fish Shack'.
Watch this space........

Great to meet new people yesterday - and hope you all have a great Camino!
Tia Valeria - i don't know if you had a contact for the ladies leaving next Thursday...? But I forgot to mention when we were talking about route-finding... about maps.me! As most people use phones now for maps (its just me with a pannier full of paper ones!) maps.me is an excellent app. You get the app - then download the maps for the country you will travel in - when you have wifi. Then you can use the map later when offline. Not only that - but it will tell you exactly where you are if you get lost... It is easily scroll-able in and out and you can ask it for a route from your location to a desired place.
When we were cycling in Asia with no decent paper maps - it was indispensable..!
Also - on ViaMichelin - on the 'maps' page - if you go to the 'outdoor' map (drop-down of maps on right side) they have all the Camino routes marked in red!! So you can zoom in on a section and screen shot it for offline use....
Anytime in november should be good for me!

We too take paper maps....but just a strip of need places when on Camino.
I will PM @Hoots with a link to your post.
Thinking about finding the Camigos threads - I might see if I can still add 'tags' which would help with any searches etc. 'Vamos a ver' :)
Edit:- Tags added so we will see if others now find us more easily

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good to meet you all last week and thank you for all the advice. We have downloaded maps.me (thanks Hecate), stretched boot laces, purchased blister plasters, water bottles and sun hats so are feeling quite prepared. Another couple of weeks 'walking training' would have been good buy hey ho - we will take it at our own pace and have factored in plenty of rest days. Will report back in a few weeks. Thanks again.

We made it 🥳. We walked from Baiona to Santiago over 7 days and despite many challenges along the way had an amazing time. We arrived in Santiago on Friday and with compestellas in hand attended the Saturday morning pilgrim mass which was a fitting conclusion. We now have a few days in Vigo to rest, recover and plan the next one.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Brilliant!! Ahhha - we all knew you would love it! I bet you are planning the next one...! Well done!!😁😅

Brilliant!! Ahhha - we all knew you would love it! I bet you are planning the next one...! Well done!!😁😅
You bet right 😉. Lying on my bed here in Vigo trying to work out which one to try next😆. Only disappointment is that I don't seem to have shed as much weight as I had hoped - think I took the carb loading a bit too far 🤣

You bet right 😉. Lying on my bed here in Vigo trying to work out which one to try next😆. Only disappointment is that I don't seem to have shed as much weight as I had hoped - think I took the carb loading a bit too far 🤣
Congratulations reaching Santiago and getting your Compostelas is a great achievement. I hope to hear all your tales at Dart's Farm.

€149,-
I am currently sat on my bed in Pontedeume after my second day on the Camino Inglés. I stayed in the Neda albergue last night and have treated myself to a room of my own tonight 😂

I hope you are enjoying your Camino CarolamS? We stayed at Neda when cycling back from Santiago - had the whole place to ourselves! Look forward to hearing about the Ingles when you return - I feel I should actually 'walk' a Camino....rather than cycle!

Arrived in SdC lunchtime today. Place heaving with people and no chance of a Compostela today. I have to be there for the 8am opening to get a ticket and hopefully be able to be seen sometime during the morning. Loved the CI, just finding SdC a bit challenging this time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It can be a bit overwhelming.... I arrived and got a puncture outside the Cathedral, then missed the pilgrim mass cos i was in the dentists having a root canal filling....and it was my birthday! But at least the time spent in the queue lets you catch up with other pilgrims - I really enjoyed that - despite dreading the queuing!
If nothing else look at it as a well-earned rest! Well done!

It can be a bit overwhelming.... I arrived and got a puncture outside the Cathedral, then missed the pilgrim mass cos i was in the dentists having a root canal filling....and it was my birthday! But at least the time spent in the queue lets you catch up with other pilgrims - I really enjoyed that - despite dreading the queuing!
If nothing else look at it as a well-earned rest! Well done!
That does sound a perfect example of how you'd prefer it not to be 🤔
I received my Compostela this morning with no real problem having arrived early and queued up before opening. Ticket 167, took about 90 mins.
Tomorrow I set off towards Muxia. Have booked a hotel - I need an albergue break 😅

Well done CarolamS 🥳 So glad you managed to get your Compostela - sounds like you did well to get ticket 167. The system was so chaotic when we got ours - many people were left disappointed. Hope the weather is kind to you on the way to Muxia.

€149,-
Well done CarolamS 🥳 So glad you managed to get your Compostela - sounds like you did well to get ticket 167. The system was so chaotic when we got ours - many people were left disappointed. Hope the weather is kind to you on the way to Muxia.
Thanks.
Weather doesn't look too promising but I've learnt that forecasts aren't that accurate so I'm hopeful 😊

Glad you all made it and also were able to get your Compostelas.
We are just back from a stay near Ledbury - walked up 'British Camp' an ancient hill fort and also saw an amazing church with original wall paintings.
We will have to get around to thinking about a date for November. A Saturday was suggested as we have had a few mid-week meetings. Probably 9th/16th/23rd - not the 2nd it is still half term holiday.

Edit:- Looks like the 23rd is best. See post #50 :)

Last edited:
I cant do the 9th! Just got a ticket for the Stonehenge Conference at Bournemouth!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I cant do the 9th! Just got a ticket for the Stonehenge Conference at Bournemouth!!
If we go for the 16th or 23rd how does that suit? Either is good for us at present.
Darts Farm at around 11.00/11.30 until around 14.00.
How many could make one of those to dates? and which is best?

Edit:- Looks like the 23rd is best. See post #50 :)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I can make either of those though I don't have access to my diary at the moment.
Not sure when you are back @CarolamS but we are not in a rush to fix the date. More a process of elimination at present :)
Glad you made it and got your Compostela.
Look forward to seeing you again.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I can make the 9th and 23rd, whatever date is best for the group hope you have a great meeting.

Mike

I can make the 9th and 23rd, whatever date is best for the group hope you have a great meeting.
Mike
@hecate105 cannot do the 9th and as you cannot do the 16th @Isca-camigo we will eliminate that too.

It looks like Saturday 23rd November is best for most of us so we will go for that. More later for those new to our meetings.

Last edited:
@hecate105 cannot do the 9th and as you cannot do the 16th @Isca-camigo we will eliminate that too.

It looks like the 23rd is best for most of us so we will go for that. More later for those new to our meetings.
I’ll be thinking of you all at Darts Farm, Tia. I have such wonderful memories of the February meeting there back in 2014 when I first met you all.
Cheers to everyone from Oz -
Jenny

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just a reminder - and to flag up our get together for those who missed the earlier post.
Planning on meeting at Dart's Farm, near Exeter, on Saturday 23rd November. Usually we meet about 11.00 or 11.30 until after lunch.
I will confirm time we hope to arrive nearer the day.
It would be helpful if those hoping to come could post here - so we know how many tables/chairs we might need in the little cafe.

I can make the 23rd - see you all there.
And Hi to Jenny - hope all is well with you!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will hope to join you as I am now back residing in Bristol.
Can’t you make it over again @JennyH94? It’s about time we met!
Look forward to seeing you ☺Be really good to finally meet you.

Thanks for your good wishes @hecate105 - all’s well here in Oz - can’t wait to be back on a pilgrimage path of some kind though!
And Maggie - I wish so much I could make it over but it’s not to be this year - perhaps one of the meetings next year. Where there’s the will, there’s The Way!
Best wishes and Camino hugs to everyone -
Jenny

Thanks for your good wishes @hecate105 - all’s well here in Oz - can’t wait to be back on a pilgrimage path of some kind though!
And Maggie - I wish so much I could make it over but it’s not to be this year - perhaps one of the meetings next year. Where there’s the will, there’s The Way!
Best wishes and Camino hugs to everyone -
Jenny
Now - if we knew you were coming we could try to arrange a date.......
It would be really good to see you again

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Sorry we won't be at Dart's Farm. Enjoy your meeting.

Hi all. I would love to come and join you please. Im really looking forward to meeting you and finding out a lot more about my very exciting Camino next year 😊

Hi all. I would love to come and join you please. Im really looking forward to meeting you and finding out a lot more about my very exciting Camino next year 😊
Look forward to seeing you there :)

Just to remind you all about our get together next Saturday (23rd). Meet 11.00/11.30 onwards until after lunch.
If you are there before us could some-one try to get the large round table, if it is free, please.

Plan of Darts Farm and cafe for those who are new.

darts-farm-jpg.55592

I should also have said that, all being well, we have a Camino shell sign on a little holder which we can put on the table. Those who have been before will already know it. Just something to identify us easily.

Hi all. Sadly (for me) I won’t be able to join you on Saturday. I am collecting a new puppy on Friday and I wont be able to leave her alone so soon. Hopefully next time. Have fun.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all. Sadly (for me) I won’t be able to join you on Saturday. I am collecting a new puppy on Friday and I wont be able to leave her alone so soon. Hopefully next time. Have fun.
Photos please, Maggie! ‘Hope your beautiful little family member settles in well.
Camino hugs -
Jenny

What a great reason....hope everything goes well and your puppy settles in....a bundle of furry love 🐕

Sorry we won't see you this time - next time maybe. Hope the pup settles in happily.
I will start a 2020 thread at the New Year and then ask for this one to close - so folk will need to watch the new one after that. The link will be posted here as the final post, as in previous years.

€46,-
Looking at the weather forecast reminds me of our first meeting when I had 'floated the idea' that we could get together. This became a joke as the roads near Darts Farm were flooded on the day, although we all made it and the water was going down when we left!!
We would hope that tomorrow is not a repeat and that we do get there without problems.
If anyone feels the need to check out Topsham and the area around Darts Farm you can see if there are any warnings up on the gov.uk flood warning website .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for kind responses. Here is photo as requested. Lily is a border terrier, nine weeks old...

View attachment 66947
Oh nooooo.....she is completely beautiful and I so want another Border Terrier.....do give her a cuddle from me and sniff her sweet neck. We are trying so hard to resist getting a puppy! I don't need to wish you joy....she IS joy.

I have just sent a PM about flooding/potential flooding to say that we have decided 'safety first'. Some roads we know are liable to flooding and our alternative route home is already closed. :eek:
If anyone does decide to go to Darts Farm - have a good time. Stay safe....
We will try again after Christmas........

So...did anyone apart from @hecate105 manage to get there today? and home safely too?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So...did anyone apart from @hecate105 manage to get there today? and home safely too?
So sorry you couldn't make it, you were both missed. 4 of us met in the end and had a very pleasant chat. I arrived late having walked, or rather paddled my way there. Now I really understand why Davebugg said that sooner or later you will get wet feet even with Goretex 😅. I look forward to seeing you at the next get-together.
Caroline

So glad the others turned up! Bisnick too. Great to meet up and chat about all things Camino... Hope we get another get-to-gether b4 Atc goes off to walk - as none of us had walked the Frances!
I have a query for you Tia - will pm, jo

So good meeting up with everyone today, sorry @Tia Valeria that the flooding was so bad at home. @Atc hope we didn't put you off with all the hint and warnings!

So glad at last to have picked up the South Devon Camigos thread again and sorry to have missed out on all the meetings. I hope I will be able to keep in touch and will look out for the final post on this thread. Thank you Tia Valeria.
Lily looks adorable and irresistible. Must be difficult to deny her anything she wants. Lizbeth

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Atc - Have you read 'Spanish Steps' by Tim Moore - might put you off! Funniest book on the Camino I've read - and its on the Frances...

Atc - Have you read 'Spanish Steps' by Tim Moore - might put you off! Funniest book on the Camino I've read - and its on the Frances...

I'll go look it up......thank you.

Happy new year to all.
The new thread for 2020 is here at Camigos in S Devon 2020
As in past years I will ask the moderators to lock this year's thread.
New comers (and previous friends) - you might want to 'watch' the new thread (with emails) to keep up with any meetings proposed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.