• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminha ferry schedule

Bill the Canuck

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues September 2018
I have read there are no ferries on Monday to A Guarda from Caminho yet Brierley 2018 does not mention this. Is it a seasonal thing-we are going in September 2018? We are biking so with no ferry is the only option to add 30km on to the trip up to Vila Nova de Cerveira and back to A guarda?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Note that Portugal is one hour behind Spain. So the ferry from Caminha (Portugal) to A Guarda will be one hour earlier than that shown on the A Guarda (Spain) timetable.
Jill

Hi, the ferry does NOT run on Mondays, at all, at any time of the year.
It does NOT run at low tide.
The ferry times are updated here:
http://www.turismoaguarda.es/?lang=en
and scroll down to “Weekly ferry timetable”.
Jill
Mucho gracias. That is what I was afraid of , as I originally was going from Santiago to Porto avoiding getting to caminha on Monday but then reversed the direction to go north to accommodate friends and forgot about that little detail.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last edited:
If cycling alone consider advice posted by Rainerbernd. You can handle bike easier than us auld fellas climbing aboard, having thrown backpack into boat already! In a group Mario will do a few trips. Mario is old, but Mario is cool.

I have read there are no ferries on Monday to A Guarda from Caminho yet Brierley 2018 does not mention this. Is it a seasonal thing-we are going in September 2018? We are biking so with no ferry is the only option to add 30km on to the trip up to Vila Nova de Cerveira and back to A guarda?
You can get the train from Caminha to Vila Nova...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, just in case of stormy weather, this could shorten our KM as long as the train takes bikes. I see there is no train on the Spanish side.

Hi. Joined the site to pass on the following information. I found myself needing the ferry on a Monday and was told by the hostel in Esposende that there might be fisherman who would take you across. It is more organsied than that. The main car ferry is closed on all Mondays year around. There is an alternative service called "TaxiMar". Just call into the bar at the Portugla side and buy a ticket for Euro 5 per person (min of 3 oe Euro 15) ,or phone +351915955827, +351258401599 if on the Spain side.
I travelled with two others and my bike went with me without any extra charge. The boat is pretty small and would probably manage 2 maybe 3 bikes and riders or 5 or 6 passengers.

Just call into the bar at the Portugla side and buy a ticket for Euro 5 per person (min of 3 oe Euro 15)

Hi Rauly, thanks for the info! Which bar? The one in the ferry terminal itself?
Jill

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Jill,
Yes, next to the ferry with the gates closed to it there is a car park and one bar and toilets open. The lady serving speaks some English. There was a guy hanging around who turned out to be the fella with the open speed boat, which is tied up next to the ferry.
I arrived alone at 9am on the Monday and there are a couple of posters giving the phone number for "Taxi Mar", and even business cards on the bar counter.
I had a nice coffee until 2 day trippers arrived. It's worth going up to anyone who arrives in case they see the place closed and just walk or cycle off, as these two were going to.
I could have paid euro 15 and just had the boat to myself but was in no hurry.
There is a height difference so you need to climb down and up a ladder on the other side depending on the level of water. Take off the pannier bags to make it easier but the guy and the the other passengers helped lift my bike off.
On the Spanish side the terminal is completly closed and no bar or toilets nearby, and I didn't see the posters advertising the "Taxi Mar" boat so take the number to call him over. The other two guys arranged to be collected in the afternoon to return.
I have the business card and will try and upload a photo. The back of the card advertises "Bar Do Ferry", Marco Valadares 915955827.
Before I realised the bar sells actual paper tickets for the 3 minute crossing I called the "Taxi Mar" number and the guy spoke English and told me it was the other guy in the bar that drives the boat.
From an expected hassle of the 30km detour my day brightened and so did the weather and I was able to cycle on to Baione, a total ofr about 80+km from Esposende. The cycle route is excellent along this coast with long sections allowing bikes on the wonderful broadwalks. Some sand builds up on the wood and makes cycling impossible on a road/hybrid bike and you are likely to fall off. Walk the bike over the few metres unless you have suitable tyres. Later as it gets very busy with tourist towns the broadwalks are full of walkers and bikes are not allowed. Nearby alternative minor roads have the small cobble type stone roads that make an uncomfortable ride on any road bike. The coast ride from Porto to Vigo is pretty spectacular except for the industrial part as you enter Vigo.
Enjoy.

Brierleys would not want you getting a ferry Bill.
No MONDAY ferry , fisherman awaits pilgrims in cafe at terminal
9.00 am first ferry followed by 10.0 am then tides could be a problem
20 minutes , plenty of pilgrims use,
Beautiful way to Vigo before the crowds .
AND
When on ferry put your clock forward ONE hour.

There is a neighbour of the ferry/ferries that has a FB page here

The ferry is back in business since July 1, 2020.
Here is the new schedule for this week through July 5.
Always call them though on the day of departure to check for changes or cancellations.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have no reason to think that this ferry is not perfectly seaworthy and that it is not operated in a seamanlike manner. I am a bit concerned, however, by photographs of rubber inflatable boats crossing the Miño, and also plying from Vilanova de Arousa to Pontecesures on the Variante Espiritual. I presume that these boats have passenger licences, otherwise they are operating illegally. So far as I know it would be a condition of the licence that they carry sufficient lifejackets. I worked in the Irish lighthouse authority for many years and it was mandatory that all our boat operators and passengers wear a lifejacket at all times when in a boat or when embarking or disembarking from the boat. (The most dangerous phase of a passage can often be when embarking or disembarking.)
Some of you may know of the curragh, or naomhóg, Naomh Gobnait which capsized at or near the Miño estuary with the loss of Domhnall Mac Síthigh who, with three others had rowed from Ireland to A Coruña (Camino na Sáile). Possibly the accident might have been avoided by local knowledge. It is a reminder that lifejackets are indispensable.
The Naomh Gobnait is to be put on exhibition in Vigo, see https://afloat.ie/sail/historic-boa...kerry-poet-finds-a-new-life-in-northern-spain

Hi. Joined the site to pass on the following information. I found myself needing the ferry on a Monday and was told by the hostel in Esposende that there might be fisherman who would take you across. It is more organsied than that. The main car ferry is closed on all Mondays year around. There is an alternative service called "TaxiMar". Just call into the bar at the Portugla side and buy a ticket for Euro 5 per person (min of 3 oe Euro 15) ,or phone +351915955827, +351258401599 if on the Spain side.
I travelled with two others and my bike went with me without any extra charge. The boat is pretty small and would probably manage 2 maybe 3 bikes and riders or 5 or 6 passengers.
We used this service in 2017, we stayed in a small hotel and when we arrived the helpful owner saw our packs, and offered to check the ferry schedule. As it didn’t depart until 11 the next day, she took our 5€ and gave us a ticket, and arranged when we wanted to go with the water taxi. Worked well, it was quite a fun experience with the boat zipping across the water.

The ferry Caminha - A Guarda is not operational

With the support of the Caminha Municipal Chamber, the A Guarda Council and the Galician Government, AGAN+ launched the Xacobeo Transfer service to cross the Minho river for pilgrims (on foot or by bicycle)

At xacobeotransfer.com we operate from port to port, or seja, the pilgrims disembark without mergulhar os pés na água. We have civil liability insurance. Our boat is for tourist use and has comfortable seats. Online reservations are flexible and pilgrims can change them accordingly at the time of arrival at Caminha.

-Departures from Caminha (Portuguese time) at 7:30 am, 8:30 am, 9:30 am, 10:30 am, 11:30 am, 12:30 pm, 1:30 pm, 2:30 pm, 3:30 am, 4:30 pm, 5:30 pm and 6:30 pm.

-Departures from Camposancos - A Guarda (Spanish time) at 8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00, 18:00 and 19:00

*If the hours are in red in the online reservation system, it means that for safety reasons we cannot operate due to low tide.

The boarding point at Caminha is at g.page/r/CZbjnt3LhubQEAE
The boarding point at A Guarda is at g.page/r/CdERBlRywNsvEAE

The price is €6/pax and with a bicycle €8/pax.

Attachments

• pt_en_Dossier_xacobeo transfer v1 (1) (1).png
    pt_en_Dossier_xacobeo transfer v1 (1) (1).png
    793.4 KB · Views: 7
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The ferry Caminha - A Guarda is not operational

With the support of the Caminha Municipal Chamber, the A Guarda Council and the Galician Government, AGAN+ launched the Xacobeo Transfer service to cross the Minho river for pilgrims (on foot or by bicycle)

At xacobeotransfer.com we operate from port to port, or seja, the pilgrims disembark without mergulhar os pés na água. We have civil liability insurance. Our boat is for tourist use and has comfortable seats. Online reservations are flexible and pilgrims can change them accordingly at the time of arrival at Caminha.

-Departures from Caminha (Portuguese time) at 7:30 am, 8:30 am, 9:30 am, 10:30 am, 11:30 am, 12:30 pm, 1:30 pm, 2:30 pm, 3:30 am, 4:30 pm, 5:30 pm and 6:30 pm.

-Departures from Camposancos - A Guarda (Spanish time) at 8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00, 18:00 and 19:00

*If the hours are in red in the online reservation system, it means that for safety reasons we cannot operate due to low tide.

The boarding point at Caminha is at g.page/r/CZbjnt3LhubQEAE
The boarding point at A Guarda is at g.page/r/CdERBlRywNsvEAE

The price is €6/pax and with a bicycle €8/pax.
I hope you mean that the service is NOW operational??

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.