Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Caminho Central General Discussion (Faro-Santarém)

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Year of past OR future Camino
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Português 2020
The Caminho Central is one of the three caminos being developed by the Caminhos de Santiago Alentejo e Ribatejo, a government-tourism project (along with the Caminho Nascente and Caminho da Raia). It begins in Faro on the Algarve coast of Portugal and ends in Santarém (about 20 stages by the looks of it), where it joins onto the main route of the Caminho Português from Lisbon.

Resources:

Official Site - includes GPS tracks and a free downloadable guide. The guide only covers the stages in the Alentejo and Ribatejo, but this is almost all of the camino, missing out only the first several stages in the Algarve.

Map - the Central is in brown:

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 11.51.11 AM copy.PNG

Last edited:
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Português 2020
I haven’t looked into the Central that much yet as I was more focused on / attracted by the Nascente. From skimming the official guide, I have the impression that the Central is the biggest focus camino out of the three (possibly because it’s the only one that includes the Ribatejo in addition to the Alentejo).

Of the places that the Central passes through, the starting point at Faro is obviously well known and easy to get to, while Grândola is famous in Portugal as a song about the town, Grândola, Vila Morena, was played on the radio as a signal for the 1974 revolution to begin. Two places on the route, Santiago do Cacém and Alcácer do Sal, were once the Portuguese headquarters of the Order of Santiago. Because the order was responsible for the reconquest of southern Portugal and with its obvious connection to the pilgrim route, highlighting the order’s activities is a big part of the historical justification of these new routes.

There are also two different ways to go from Castro Verde to Santiago do Cacém, and the ‘Atlantic Way’ also opens up the possibility of connecting with the Rota Vicentina.

TrvlDad1

Covidyard Bob
2017 Frances from Saria
2018 Finnisterre & Ingles
2019 Portuguese from Valenca
2020 Assisi(cancel.)
I pieced together a trip that takes in the Templar sites in west Portugal..e.g., .Sintra, Santarem, Tomar, Braga, Pombal and Soure. It is not easily walked and has several bus/train days. It's one of many COVID plans that I may not ever be able to actually execute, but it looks interesting.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads