• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminho chaos...

Rodrigo Cerqueira

Time of past OR future Camino
3 French from St. Jean Pied Port, 3 Portuguese from Lisbon, 1 Portuguese from Porto, 1 Primitivo from Oviedo, 19 Lisbon - Fatima, 2 Porto - Fatima, 1 Coimbra - Fátima... Open the caminhos Nascente Fátima - Tomar, Poente Nazaré- Fátima, the north connection from Fátima to Ansião and Caminho Santiago central.
Today we just received photos that show well the chaos the Caminho the Fatima and Santiago will become with the new signs of the Turismo the Portugal.

Please helps us share this photo with your friends in this forum and send an email to the Secretary of Turism Ana Godinho complaining about the destruction of the Caminhos de Fatima and Santiago by the Portuguese Politicians: info@turismodeportugal.pt with a copy to us info@caminho.com.pt

487AB414-557B-479E-9F9E-FDC41CA54631.jpeg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
On the Bottom Sign it's written Caminho with a "H". It's a different way to write it or it's an error ?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Any place they put signage is good!!, no? My concerns have only ever been the places where signage is absent or been altered to shepherd unsuspecting pilgrims to villages that would like a few more pilgrims, even though they aren't on the "official" Way. Outside of Leon was about the worst place for this, but we still found our way to Santiago without undue delay. Bom Caminho!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Turismo de Portugal created on the top of the Caminho de Santiago a new Path that enterrs and exits the existing paths. In the past North was to Santiago, South was to Fatima. Simple. According to this signs now you go North to Santiago, or to Santiago da Guarda, or to Fatima via 2 diferent paths according to the interests of the local politicians (adding more Km to the way). Do you know what is Santiago da Guarda? There are any Albergues in Santiago da Guarda path? Does this new paths respected the paths that are printed on the guide books? What will happen when there is no more È.U, money to maintain this new paths? Do this politicians think that pilgrims want to walk according to they’re local interests. Who are this people to destroy the work of volunteers that helped thousands of pilgrims... Because they want to bring more money to regions.
We (Associação de Amigos dos Caminhos de Fatima - www.caminho.com.pt) have nothing against improving the existing paths whit Albergues, new signs, printed information... But the Turismo de Portugal it’s trying to creat new paths on the top of existing ones. It’s a shame.

You can find detailed information about this issue:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/pilgrims-arent-tourists.55660/#post-633832
42243948-3DD4-410E-92CC-EB8BFC4CD863.jpeg

Hi, I see what you mean about the signs being put on top of your signs, as mentioned in your other thread:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/pilgrims-arent-tourists.55660/
(Maybe these two threads should be combined?)

There is no reason why their signs could not have been placed above or below yours.

Have you spoken to the actual person who is putting up these signs? Maybe they don’t realise the upset they are causing? Just a thought.
Jill

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, thanks for your clarification. I can see what you mean now. As I understand it, it looks to me very painfull that a state paid organisation just takes the work and succes of the work of your organisation and volunteers and makes something new, without consultation nor cooperation. It sound very very disrespectful to active citizens who co-created it. And as I understand, they even destroy your work. I really hope you can make this point clear to the (local) government and get them to cooperate, instead of destroying.

Hi, I see what you mean abot the signs being put on top of your signs, as mentioned in your other thread:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/pilgrims-arent-tourists.55660/
(Maybe these two threads should be combined?)

There is no reason why their signs could not have been placed above or below yours.

Have you spoken to the actual person who is putting up these signs? Maybe they don’t realise the upset they are causing? Just a thought.
Jill

Jil we spook with them and we explained that the arrows (made with paint) are the basic of all Caminhos.
They can improve but not erase an existing path. They have to justify the €3.000.000 they have to spend, so they don´t care.

Yes, thanks for your clarification. I can see what you mean now. As I understand it, it looks to me very painfull that a state paid organisation just takes the work and succes of the work of your organisation and volunteers and makes something new, without consultation nor cooperation. It sound very very disrespectful to active citizens who co-created it. And as I understand, they even destroy your work. I really hope you can make this point clear to the (local) government and get them to cooperate, instead of destroying.

Thomas thank you for your kind words. Please send an email to the Turismo de Portugal asking them to avoid erasing the existing path Santiago - Fátima by the Rota Carmelita. info@turismodeportugal.pt

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Today we just received photos that show well the chaos the Caminho the Fatima and Santiago will become with the new signs of the Turismo the Portugal.

Please helps us share this photo with your friends in this forum and send an email to the Secretary of Turism Ana Godinho complaining about the destruction of the Caminhos de Fatima and Santiago by the Portuguese Politicians: info@turismodeportugal.pt with a copy to us info@caminho.com.pt

View attachment 43911

I’m confused! What is the problem with the signs? They look good

When I read the title I thought you was going to refer to this
https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...sobre-camino-santiago/0003_201806A27C6991.htm
AJ27C6F1_1.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Nothing changed on the Caminho de Santiago (Portuguese spelling).
Some new signs here and there, very welcomed by (almost) all.
There have been some changes on the path from Coimbra to Fátima - North to South, in no way affecting the Pilgrims to Santiago.
Bom Caminho to all

Don't know much about this controversy, but it's a fact that I turned back from the Fatima Way when I couldn't find a Fatima or Caminho sign leaving Valenca. (Seems all was obscured by something or other on that day, and having walked the Portugues in reverse I was getting sick of looking for signs.) On an impulse I decided to walk back to Santiago then on to the sea.

Never mind. I'm going back to Portugal one day. I love those custard tarts and the way they nasalise their diphthongs just like us Aussies. (You all do like the way we nasalise, don't you?)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Don't know much about this controversy, but it's a fact that I turned back from the Fatima Way when I couldn't find a Fatima or Caminho sign leaving Valenca. (Seems all was obscured by something or other on that day, and having walked the Portugues in reverse I was getting sick of looking for signs.) On an impulse I decided to walk back to Santiago then on to the sea.

Never mind. I'm going back to Portugal one day. I love those custard tarts and the way they nasalise their diphthongs just like us Aussies. (You all do like the way we nasalise, don't you?)

Hi Robert it helps to prepare your way previously. Try visiting our website the next time: http://www.caminho.com.pt/index_e.html

Bom caminho.

They could use common sense and work out which way to go. It’s not hard!

Jon its not hard if you are at home on you computer. If you are tired with blisters and its 30º you want to keep it simple. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

You should come to Portugal to understand the big problem we have with pilgrims that walk on national roads. EVERY YEAR PILGRIMS DIE ON NATIONAL ROADS IN PORTUGAL so when politicians deicide
to transform the existing paths in theme parks to promote themselfs we (pilgrims) try to call the attention of the pilgrim community. When the European Union money is over this new paths will be abandoned like the Via Vicentina, Rota do Zezere or the Caminho de Santiago Interior in Portugal...

https://www.google.com/search?q=per...-YXcAhVDbxQKHa6-AYUQ_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=725

Nothing changed on the Caminho de Santiago (Portuguese spelling).
Some new signs here and there, very welcomed by (almost) all.
There have been some changes on the path from Coimbra to Fátima - North to South, in no way affecting the Pilgrims to Santiago.
Bom Caminho to all

My first reply was too personal according to the admin so it was erased.
Sorry for not being able to explain what is going on according to the standards of this forum.

I have nothing against improving the signs on the Caminhos.
Jose Luis Sanches. If the "Tourismo de Portugal" added a path to Called "Santiago da Guarda" to the Caminho de Santiago do really think nothing happened? (beside adding other new paths and destroying the existing path to Fatima.)

Let time tell the story about this issue.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back