Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Caminho da Raia General Discussion

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Year of past OR future Camino
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Português 2020
The Caminho da Raia is one of the three caminos being developed by the Caminhos de Santiago Alentejo e Ribatejo, a government-tourism project (along with the Caminho Nascente and Caminho Central). It can be considered a variant of the Caminho Nascente as it begins and ends at Nascente destinations: Mértola and Alpalhão respectively (about 13 stages).

The Raia follows part of a previously created camino called the Caminho do Este. Basically, the Raia is the section of the Este contained within the Alentejo, which explains why only this part of it is being included in this new, regional government-backed camino.

The Raia is the last of the three caminos to be developed and as such is currently (July 2021) in the ‘Coming Soon’ stage. This means that the official site does not have a guidebook for it and that way-marking is possibly not yet completed. The printed version of the official map just has straight lines between the end-of-stage stops, unlike the other two caminos (Nascente and Central) where the map follows the contours of the trail.

Resources:

Official Site - The Raia is ‘Coming Soon’

Caminho do Este index at douglasajohnson.com - includes stages although this pre-dates the development of these new caminos and is not exactly the Raia; stages sometimes go back and forth between the Raia and the Nascente.

Map - The Raia is in purple-ish:

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 11.51.11 AM copy.PNG

Last edited:
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

jungleboy

Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Português 2020
I am super interested in the Raia and can’t wait to walk it. Here’s a little story about why:

Before the Raia even existed, and before I had even walked my first camino, Wendy and I moved to Portugal. We had a Lonely Planet guidebook and I skimmed each chapter and jotted down places that I thought looked interesting with a reason or two why. I subsequently forgot all about this list but recently found it and realised that of the 14 places that I wrote down in the Alentejo, half of them are on the Caminho da Raia. These are:
  • Serpa (11th C aqueduct, noria)
  • Moura (good mouraria)
  • Vila Viçosa (best marble town)
  • Elvas (world heritage fortifications)
  • Castelo de Vide (attractive village)
  • Portalegre (whitewashed, low-key city)
  • Marvão (whitewashed village, castle, excellent Roman museum)
I’ve been in touch with the Caminhos de Santiago Alentejo and Ribatejo before and I will contact them again to see if they have a timeline for when the Raia will be ‘ready’. I’m sure I could just walk it now even if way-marking is incomplete but one thing we learned on the Nascente is that the ‘creation’ of these caminos is not just about putting up arrows but also about trying to gain permission from private property owners to divert the camino away from roads and onto paths, and about coordinating with local councils to arrange accommodation options where traditional ones don’t exist. The blog linked above notes a lot of road walking and long stages on the Este, so I will wait for the ‘completed’ Raia in the hope that it is more pilgrim-friendly in terms of the trail and infrastructure.

Last edited:
CF- Finisterre-Muxia 03/17; Camino SK 10/17; Norte 03/18; Ingles 11/18; Augusta 03/19
The Caminho da Raia is one of the three caminos being developed by the Caminhos de Santiago Alentejo e Ribatejo, a government-tourism project (along with the Caminho Nascente and Caminho Central). It can be considered a variant of the Caminho Nascente as it begins an ends at Nascente destinations: Mértola and Alpalhão respectively (about 13 stages).

The Raia follows part of a previously created camino called the Caminho do Este. Basically, the Raia is the section of the Este contained within the Alentejo, which explains why only this part of it is being included in this new, regional government-backed camino.

The Raia is the last of the three caminos to be developed and as such is currently (July 2021) in the ‘Coming Soon’ stage. This means that the official site does not have a guidebook for it and that way-marking is possibly not yet completed. The printed version of the official map just has straight lines between the end-of-stage stops, unlike the other two caminos (Nascente and Central) where the map follows the contours of the trail.

Resources:

Official Site - The Raia is ‘Coming Soon’

Caminho do Este index at douglasajohnson.com - includes stages although this pre-dates the development of these new caminos and is not exactly the Raia; stages sometimes go back and forth between the Raia and the Nascente.

Map - The Raia is in purple-ish:

View attachment 104375
Thank you. Do you know if the Nascente would be recognized as a starting point by the SDC pilgrims office for a credential? Or would they just calculate distance from last 100 km?

CF- Finisterre-Muxia 03/17; Camino SK 10/17; Norte 03/18; Ingles 11/18; Augusta 03/19
I am super interested in the Raia and can’t wait to walk it. Here’s a little story about why:

Long before the Raia even existed, and before I had even walked my first camino, Wendy and I moved to Portugal. We had a Lonely Planet guidebook and I skimmed each chapter and jotted down places that I thought looked interesting with a reason or two why. I subsequently forgot all about this list but recently found it and realised that of the 14 places that I wrote down in the Alentejo, half of them are on the Caminho da Raia. These are:
  • Serpa (11th C aqueduct, noria)
  • Moura (good mouraria)
  • Vila Viçosa (best marble town)
  • Elvas (world heritage fortifications)
  • Castelo de Vide (attractive village)
  • Portalegre (whitewashed, low-key city)
  • Marvão (whitewashed village, castle, excellent Roman museum)
I’ve been in touch with the Caminhos de Santiago Alentejo and Ribatejo before and I will contact them again to see if they have a timeline for when the Raia will be ‘ready’. I’m sure I could just walk it now even if way-marking is incomplete but one thing we learned on the Nascente is that the ‘creation’ of these caminos is not just about putting up arrows but also about trying to gain permission from private property owners to divert the camino away from roads and onto paths, and about coordinating with local councils to arrange accommodation options where traditional ones don’t exist. The blog linked above notes a lot of road walking and long stages on the Este, so I will wait for the ‘completed’ Raia in the hope that it is more pilgrim-friendly in terms of the trail and infrastructure.
I did a slow car trip w my dog in Ján 2020 from through all those places discovering fortes and cliff top castles. All amazing. Look forward to walking this route.

jungleboy

Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Português 2020
Thank you. Do you know if the Nascente would be recognized as a starting point by the SDC pilgrims office for a credential? Or would they just calculate distance from last 100 km?
It might depend on the particular volunteer but in our case they asked us to tell them how far it was so they could write it in the distance certificate! For the route (actually Nascente + Torres + Geira e dos Arrieiros), they wrote something like: 'Camino Portugués + Geira e dos Arrieiros'.

Published on Amazon
Guide to the 16 main caminos with maps, pictures, hyperlinks and other information.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads