• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminho de Celanova (Porto - Guimarães)

tiagojmgfpinto

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello!
So I discover in a work of the Eixo-Atlántico that there is a camino that starts in Oporto and goes to Guimarães, passing throw Santo Tirso. Do you have a map ou a gmx/kml file to see the route? They call it Camino de Celanova or Camino de San Rosendo.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello!
So I discover in a work of the Eixo-Atlántico that there is a camino that starts in Oporto and goes to Guimarães, passing throw Santo Tirso. Do you have a map ou a gmx/kml file to see the route? They call it Camino de Celanova or Camino de San Rosendo.

Hello, @tiagojmgfpinto and welcome to the forum. Mentioning a new camino is like throwing red meat in front of a bunch of hungry dogs. Here’s another camino I had never heard of.

A little googling brought up some information, and in fact, some of what I found first was on the web page of the little hotel where I stayed in Celanova on a weekend trip a few years ago.

But the page I have linked to suggests starting in Porto and heading to Braga via Vilanova de Famalicao, so I am not sure how Guimaraes would fit in:

within Portugal: Porto, Maia (Águas Santas), Santo Tirso – alleged birthplace of Saint Rudesind and nowadays twin town of Celanova -, Vilanova de Famalicão, Braga (and Dume), Amares, Terras de Bouro (Portela do Homem)

An article in Voz de Galicia interviews some Italian tourists who did it, starting in Braga

A few months ago, I started a thread asking about the other caminos in northern Portugal (this may be obvious to you, but, since you are a new member, if you click on the highlighted blue language, it will take you to the thread).

So now, in addition to those, we have yet another!

If anyone has more information, it’d be great (maybe @MyDestinationGalicia , @Isca-camigo or @jungleboy ?).

Buen camino, Laurie

And p.s., not that we will ever be able to compile a complete list of all the caminos in Spain and Portugal, but I thought I’d link this thread which has a few more rabbit holes for those who are looking for untraveled routes.

Hello @peregrina2000!
So the Camino that i mentioned is the white one on the map below. They call it Camino de Celanova or Camino de San Rosendo. Also they call it the variant of Guimarães.

As you can see, starts in Oporto and goes to Santo Tirso, Guimarães (where it found the Camino de Torres), Braga, Prado, Vila Verde, Ponte de Lima, Ponte da Barca and exit Portugal in Lindoso.

In a document of the Eixo Atlántico (you can found the entire document in portuguese down below) the autor says "No que se refere à Via de Guimarães, que sempre foi considerada como secundária
quando comparada com as grandes rotas de peregrinação de Santiago de Compostela,
do Porto continuava por Ferrarias, Roriz e Santo Tirso, e de Guimarães a Braga através
das Caldas das Taipas e Sande, chegando à cidade pela Porta de Santiago."

artur-filipe-dos-santos-caminho-de-santiago-caminho-de-celanova.jpg

Attachments

• artur-filipe-dos-santos-caminho-de-santiago-caminho-de-celanova.jpg
    artur-filipe-dos-santos-caminho-de-santiago-caminho-de-celanova.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 66
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh my, yet another rabbit hole. Thank you so much for this information. That document is more than 500 pages long! I will have to download it on my computer so I can search it, but it seems to be packed with lots of historical and practical information.

Did you get the map of caminos in Northern Portugal, which you just posted in the thread above, in that document?

I wonder if there is a map of similar detail that includes a larger section of the country, going south to Viseu (or maybe Coimbra?) for the Caminho Portuguès Interior and going over to the east to pick up the Zamorano Via de la Plata that passes through Bragança and I don’t know where else. Not to mention heading down south to show the caminho from Tavira or over to the one that apparently starts in Faro.

I don't know how I missed this thread or the bump from @peregrina2000, funnily enough I have been looking at this route for a few months, if I do get to go to Braga in August and walk the Geira I will probably have 14 -15 days left over, this is one of the several options I keep looking at.
It would have more Albergues than the Geira, Ponte de Barca, and Soajo have pilgrim accommodation for the Via Mariana which coincides or comes close to the Celanova, + you have the Albergues in Braga and Vila Verde, the Braga one which was highlighted on the Geira topics and recently opened is more suited for this route because of its location on the way out of town. I think this route crosses the Geira at Lobios. There is wikiloc routes for the Camino de San Rosendo which covers the 2/3 days into Ourense and I think is dated 2017, I will try to put them up here in a day or two. + There is another wikiloc for the day leading up to those days but does not give the connecting gap from Lobios to the pre-San Rosendo section. Thanks for posting this, it looks a beautiful Camino.

I don't know how I missed this thread or the bump from @peregrina2000
I also missed it as I don't get notifications for being tagged even though my settings say that I should.

In any case I didn't know about this camino and unfortunately can't add anything except to say that Guimarães is famous for its role in the foundation of Portugal and has a few nice historic sites!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This website has a link to the hotels Facebook, called Celanova and beyond, it focuses on the route but goes for the patrimony side of it, they post videos.

This is a screenshot of a wikiloc page, for some reason it won't let me post links anymore. If you can use the screenshot to find the couples wikiloc page, then you can find details of the days they walked section of this route, it would be after Lobios and before Ourense under the Via Nova, Celanova and Camino San Rosendo headings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210317-085930.png
    Screenshot_20210317-085930.png
    210.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I also missed it as I don't get notifications for being tagged even though my settings say that I should.

In any case I didn't know about this camino and unfortunately can't add anything except to say that Guimarães is famous for its role in the foundation of Portugal and has a few nice historic sites!

Well, @jungleboy, if you are confined to Portugal over the next few months, you could be the advance scout for a few of these walks, at least till they reach the border. :p

The Celanova route is right up your alley, at least the part in Spain I am familiar with from my car travels — it goes through Bande, with its Santa Comba de Bande visigothic church, then through the Roman fort Querquennis, and Celanova itself is really a treat.

But I think that map posted in #3 above gives you lots of ways to keep walking in circles in Portugal. And what beautiful places!

bom caminho, Laurie

(and like you, I never get notified when I am tagged in a post, not sure why).

Well, @jungleboy, if you are confined to Portugal over the next few months, you could be the advance scout for a few of these walks, at least till they reach the border. :p
Yesterday we pretty much officially gave up on the southern camino (Mozárabe/VdlP) that we had hoped for after Easter. We have a backup plan now which does include something in Portugal - to be revealed in good time!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My apologies to @peregrina2000 , I have just looked at this thread on my computer and I realised I posted something that had already been posted by her, that is the problem using your mobile you can miss stuff.

My apologies to @peregrina2000 , I have just looked at this thread on my computer and I realised I posted something that had already been posted by her, that is the problem using your mobile you can miss stuff.
Well, that is way above the norm of civility that we try to cultivate here, no apologies necessary!

Can you share some of your thinking on how you are making your choices among all these northern Portugal routes?

If it turns out that this fall is a “go” for walking, I think one of these routes would be my choice, but I can’t really figure out how to choose among the Geira, Interior, Celanova, etc. I’m not sure exactly why, but I am leaning towards the Geira e dos Arrieiros.

I think for me personally the Geira is a must, but my reasoning fits my own individual wishes so I can't really sell it to a wider audience. I have to say the other two, The Interior and the Celanova I would do both if I had time as well, they look both just as beautiful as the Geira, but the relative newness of the Geira and its own entry point into Santiago appeal to me and I have followed it for a while. If I do go back to Northern Portugal to do the Celanova I will tweak it to fit my own preferences, I won't start in Porto to walk the 2/3 days to Braga - which will be on Asphalt, I probably go to Barcelos and walk to and stay in Casa Fernanda( if it is open), then go to Ponte de Limia and follow the river to Ponte De Barca where I will join up with the Celanova, the pictures I have seen of Soajo really appeal to me. Regarding the Interior I had friend who began it on New Year's day🤪 from Viseu and his photos looked stunning. And you sold Allariz to me on another older thread, so that makes the Spanish side just as appealing.
But if I have to be truthful I will be happy to get on any of them, and after the Geira, depending how I feel in Santiago I may go for a busy one, lockdown(s) has shown me how much I miss human company.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back