• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminho do Mar

Julie Lunt

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning Portuguese Camino Estoril to Santiago
I want to begin my next pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela from Estoril to Fatima 'the Caminho do Mar' or 'Fatima' Route which is recognised as part of the Portuguese Caminho de Santiago. I believe this route avoids roads in favour of paths and tracks and looks very beautiful. It will avoid the lengthy industrial walk out of Lisbon. I have found a little information about accommodation along the way and a Facebook page on the route but can find very little else. Does anyone have other information or know where I can find any material, such as distances, directions etc. It so happens I am in Portugal at the moment and plan to go to the church in Estoril tomorrow to see if there is anything at the church where the walk begins or at the tourist information. If I find anything I will post again as it may be of interest to others.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sounds interesting. I have never heard of this route before. Not much comes up with a Google search. Is it marked? Or do you have to find your own way? The route out of Lisbon is not really “industrial”. It’s built up, but it’s not so bad. I quite liked it! And it’s way-marked.

This is the blog of a Brazilian man who did the walk in 2019. It's in Portuguese, but Google Chrome translated it for me.

I live in Estoril, and walk a segment of this Caminho every morning. It makes me very happy to see the guideposts. Bom Caminho!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is the blog of a Brazilian man who did the walk in 2019. It's in Portuguese, but Google Chrome translated it for me.

I live in Estoril, and walk a segment of this Caminho every morning. It makes me very happy to see the guideposts. Bom Caminho!
If you look at these stages, you’ll see that the route goes from Lisbon out to the coast at Estoril and then stays inland, going through Sintra. I’ve never been clear on why they named that the Coastal Caminho.

But there is another option, the Trilho das Areias, which actually does go along the coast. If you scroll through the subforum or use the search function, you can find some information, but it is apparently not very frequently followed.

If you look at these stages, you’ll see that the route goes from Lisbon out to the coast at Estoril and then stays inland, going through Sintra. I’ve never been clear on why they named that the Coastal Caminho.

But there is another option, the Trilho das Areias, which actually does go along the coast. If you scroll through the subforum or use the search function, you can find some information, but it is apparently not very frequently followed.

Well, technically it goes inland at Guincho, but let's not split hairs. :cool: However, your point re: "Coastal" is well taken (there are lovely coastal views from Sintra - does that count?). It looks like our original poster wishes to go to Fatima, so Caminho do Mar it is for her!

I just Googled Trilho das Areias - I'm going to have to look into that a little further, just for some local hiking. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back