• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminho from Lisbon April 2022?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Anyone else thinking of starting from Lisbon next April? I've walked from Porto (Central route after Vila do Conde), so I'll probably decide once I'm there whether to finish on the Coastal or Central. It seems that the weather should be pretty good for walking in April. I would like to have some pilgrim company between Lisbon and Porto, but I'll be fine if I'm mostly solo until Porto.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Anyone else thinking of starting from Lisbon next April? I've walked from Porto (Central route after Vila do Conde), so I'll probably decide once I'm there whether to finish on the Coastal or Central. It seems that the weather should be pretty good for walking in April. I would like to have some pilgrim company between Lisbon and Porto, but I'll be fine if I'm mostly solo until Porto.
That should be a nice time, especially if it’s later in April. Easter week (April 17 is Easter Sunday in 2022) is not the camino-disrupting mega-event in Portugal that it is in Spain but it’s still something to take into account.

‘Abril águas mil’ (a thousand rains in April) is a common expression in Portugal as there is a more rainfall than March (charts for different cities here). But overall the weather should be pretty good.

I am thinking about starting from Lisbon mid-April. I have just started my planning - wondering about the advisability of booking accommodations in advance (I would prefer not to after the first day or two).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Looks like the Alpriate Albergue will re-open in March 2022! At least that’s the plan now. Highly recommended as a first night from Lisbon. Maybe too short a stage for some (21 km from the cathedral), but it’s a great stopping point IMO.

Looks like the Alpriate Albergue will re-open in March 2022! At least that’s the plan now. Highly recommended as a first night from Lisbon. Maybe too short a stage for some (21 km from the cathedral), but it’s a great stopping point IMO.

Anyone else thinking of starting from Lisbon next April?

Terri when I walked I got to this Albergue pretty early in the day and I was the 8th person. It was the end of September when I started. I would say by the time they opened the albergue an hour or so later there were 4 or 5 pilgrims turned away and sent to the church. I think they were put up on mats.
I will probably be doing the CP next October from Faro. I think this time I will do the variant to Fatima and then rejoin the CP. Heard it was really nice and peaceful.

Terri when I walked I got to this Albergue pretty early in the day and I was the 8th person. It was the end of September when I started. I would say by the time they opened the albergue an hour or so later there were 4 or 5 pilgrims turned away and sent to the church. I think they were put up on mats.
I will probably be doing the CP next October from Faro. I think this time I will do the variant to Fatima and then rejoin the CP. Heard it was really nice and peaceful.

Thanks for this as I am considering a start at Fatima next fall. Five years ago I had an unofficial start at Lourdes, so this makes sense for my second Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

21 km for a first day? Sounds perfect to me!

I am considering April from Lisbon though i have a few hoops (work, vax, family) to jump through, before it becomes a definite plan. Was hoping to do it back in 2020 but... well you know...

If i do indeed proceed, i hope to go through Fatima and am still deciding whether to then walk east from Fatima back to Tomar (which i dont want to miss) or carry on north.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
April can be a glorious month, particularly in the central area. The article quoted/linked to above talks about 9 days of rain in the month, but our experience has been that that can easily include 5 or 6 days when there's maybe an hour or two of showers, and the rest of the day is sunny. Typically warmer than you would expect!

That should be a nice time, especially if it’s later in April. Easter week (April 17 is Easter Sunday in 2022) is not the camino-disrupting mega-event in Portugal that it is in Spain but it’s still something to take into account.

‘Abril águas mil’ (a thousand rains in April) is a common expression in Portugal as there is a more rainfall than March (charts for different cities here). But overall the weather should be pretty good.
And 25 April is independence day

That's good to know. I was looking at booking for just after Easter until the end of May. But if I can get a better fare by leaving earlier it's good to know that Easter (and Semana Santa?) isn't as disruptive as it is in Spain.

And 25 April is independence day
Will that cause issues with accommodations?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am considering April from Lisbon though i have a few hoops (work, vax, family) to jump through, before it becomes a definite plan. Was hoping to do it back in 2020 but... well you know...

If i do indeed proceed, i hope to go through Fatima and am still deciding whether to then walk east from Fatima back to Tomar (which i dont want to miss) or carry on north.
I have a similar dilemma. I hope to walk after Easter, provided the Australian government opens up overseas travel and resolves the quarantine arrangements, etc, etc.

I have planned around going to Fatima, but don't want to miss Tomar. As things get closer, I will look at ways of visiting both Fatima and Tomar. It could even be a bus excursion from Fatima to Tomar. Then do I return to Fatima to continue, or strike north from Tomar?

I know that I could walk from Fatima to Tomar as well, but I'm not keen on doing more than about 20 km/day, which would make that a two day transit.

In the meantime, I will keep watching this sub-forum and take in any (useful) suggestions those with experience of these routes have to offer.

I have planned around going to Fatima, but don't want to miss Tomar. As things get closer, I will look at ways of visiting both Fatima and Tomar. It could even be a bus excursion from Fatima to Tomar. Then do I return to Fatima to continue, or strike north from Tomar?

I know that I could walk from Fatima to Tomar as well, but I'm not keen on doing more than about 20 km/day, which would make that a two day transit.

In the meantime, I will keep watching this sub-forum and take in any (useful) suggestions those with experience of these routes have to offer.
This is just a personal opinion, but I don't think Fátima is nearly as interesting as it fame suggests. Yes, it's a pilgrimage destination, and a very important one in Portugal. But it's only 100 years old as a pilgrimage site so it doesn't offer the same type of history, traditions and architecture of medieval pilgrimage destinations. It can also be a bit touristy/tacky in terms of the souvenirs/paraphernalia stalls.

On the other hand, Tomar is fabulous, and the Convento do Cristo there is, I think, the most impressive historical site on the entire CP. The stages north of Tomar are also some of the nicest on the CP between Lisbon and Porto.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have planned around going to Fatima, but don't want to miss Tomar. As things get closer, I will look at ways of visiting both Fatima and Tomar.
Take a look at some of the threads describing a walking route between Fátima and Tomar. The route had been dubbed “caminho nascente,” but I think that label has been taken over by the caminho starting in the south of Portugal in Tavira and moving up the eastern side of the country till it joins with the Camino de Torres. So I am not sure what name to use for Fátima to Tomar.

I have a similar dilemma. I hope to walk after Easter, provided the Australian government opens up overseas travel and resolves the quarantine arrangements, etc, etc.

Yep @dougfitz i hear you. I have been planning since late 2019 and i still haven't come up with a perfect solution. I can walk from fatima to tomar in a day but it may not leave time to look around Tomar after i arrive.

And yes if scomo opened the borders that would be a huge help too!!!

I ran across this thread in my search for information on Semana Santa in Portugal. I was going to begin in Lisbon around the 20th - 22nd (havn't purchased flight yet). Then started thinking if S.S. wasn't going to disrupt accommodation, I would start earlier in April. I don't mind walking through Semana Santa - we celebrate it here where I live and I enjoy the festivities. I just didn't want to struggle with accommodation. So to answer the OP's question - I, too, am beginning in Lisbon in April 2022. Likely prior to Easter so that I can enjoy walking through the festivities. Will book my flight sometime in February. Would enjoy some company. Note this is my first Camino, but I hike at home and took a hiking trip in Thailand. Hence I am green - but not bright green. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I ran across this thread in my search for information on Semana Santa in Portugal. I was going to begin in Lisbon around the 20th - 22nd (havn't purchased flight yet). Then started thinking if S.S. wasn't going to disrupt accommodation, I would start earlier in April. I don't mind walking through Semana Santa - we celebrate it here where I live and I enjoy the festivities. I just didn't want to struggle with accommodation. So to answer the OP's question - I, too, am beginning in Lisbon in April 2022. Likely prior to Easter so that I can enjoy walking through the festivities. Will book my flight sometime in February.
For what it's worth, Semana Santa isn't nearly as big of a deal in Portugal as it is in Spain, so it's unlikely to cause much disruption to your accommodation etc, but equally there won't be that many festivities either. April 25th is Portugal's most important holiday (commemorating the 1974 revolution) so this is something to be aware of.

For what it's worth, Semana Santa isn't nearly as big of a deal in Portugal as it is in Spain, so it's unlikely to cause much disruption to your accommodation etc, but equally there won't be that many festivities either. April 25th is Portugal's most important holiday (commemorating the 1974 revolution) so this is something to be aware of.
Thanks for the heads up. I will consider booking a room for that night - and maybe have some canned tuna on hand.

Not a religious holiday, so it shouldn't affect occupancy in the albergues much. It is, however, an interesting day to take as a rest day; lots of festivities in almost every town and city!
Yes. Portuguese gained independence from the Salazar regime soon after Spain declared theirs from Franco, 1974. Called the Carnation Revolution because it was done with no bloodshed and there's a famous photo of a young woman putting a red carnation in the gun of a soldier.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
https://rove.me/to/portugal/easter-holy-week

April 10-17 this year; a late Easter.

What with April 25 being Dia de Liberdade (Freedom Day) and so soon after Easter, things may be a little busier than normal. If things are fairly calm Covid-wise by then, chances are there will be a big push to encourage local and other travellers. The tourist industry, generally, has had a very up-and-down couple of years, and it's a big part of the Portuguese economy!

This brings to mind an earlier quote I included in another thread about Queen Isabella of Portugal, who made pilgrimage to Santiago in the 14th century. The note refers to Palm Sunday (this year Sunday, April 10), and an other-wise closed early chapel in Barquinha...

"Pilgrimages -On Palm Sunday, in Barquinha, the pilgrimage to the chapel of Nossa Senhora de Santana takes place, the chapel is located 500 meters from the village, whose foundation is old and attributed to Roque Amador. Everything about the founder's personality is unknown. The devotees bring small branches of rosemary that has been blessed and only on this day mass is said in the chapel referred to."

For anyone walking through central Portugal, just south of Tomar, in this period, it might be interesting...

Earlier thread:

Last edited:

Hi T!
If I do walk the CP it would be Lisbon just after Easter 2022..
Maybe are paths will merge!
Every Best Wish
Capt Bonnie ( Vivek)

I too am thinking about April from Lisbon. Not sure of dates yet, but that is the general plan.
Hello
I am arriving Lisbon 27 April 2022 (next Wednesday) and starting the CP central route Friday 29th April 2022.
Captain Bonnie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi I am starting my walk from Lisbon Friday 29th April 2022
Best
Captain Bonnie

My plans changed due to an injured toe a month ago. I will now be starting on Saturday, May 7th.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back