• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminho Nascente: Fatima <--> Tomar

santaremhostel

For those who want to visit Fatima and return asap to the Caminho de Santiago.

Text by Rodrigo Cerqueira from the "Associação dos Amigos dos Caminhos de Fátima"

" Its officially open and marked the new way "Caminho Nascente" (Portugal)

The new 29.3km way connects “Fatima” to “Tomar” or vice versa. Its a two-way path marked, to help Santiago pilgrims who come to Fatima to return to the original Caminho de Santiago in Tomar. This path isn't "Camino de Santiago", but a path to “Caminho de Santiago”.
Tomar towards Fátima the path is signed with blue arrows. From Fátima towards Tomar the path its signed with yellow arrows. It's called “Camino Nascente" because the way heads East where the sun rises. In Portuguese “Nascente”.

The path from Fatima starts on the east side of the Sanctuary in the street “Praceta de Santo António” along the small shops of religious articles The first arrow its on a street light .

The path from Tomar starts at the Praça da Republica on the left side as you face the front of the city council of Tomar. The first arrow its on an electricity box.

The 29,3 km along this path there is a wide variety of geographies. It crosses mountain regions (physical demanding) rich in wildlife and vegetation. Crosses towns and villages with pilgrim tradition, unique architecture and history. This countryside path allows the pilgrim to contact with the rural Portugal, where the time to stops..
There are plans to open a parish pilgrim albergue in the middle of this path.
Consult and download thebgps track in:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=z6QSjS96a2_w.k2HB9F9TMB74

Key facts::
- The markings of this path were made in 7 days by Father Rui Louro and Rodrigo Cerqueira. We have traveled a total of 144 km, spent 6 liters of white paint and 8 spray paint cans.
- You should be prepared physically to do this way.
- Must take water and food and sunscreen.
- You should not leave garbage in the way or make fire.
- If you plan to start early your journey please make silence in the villages in the early hours.
- The Associação de Amigos dos Caminhos de Fátima, doesn’t organize regular pilgrimages.
- More information about all the pilgrim paths available on www.caminho.com.pt or on our facebook:https://www.facebook.com/amigosdocaminho
- This is not the way of Santiago, nor was it done any historical study of this path.

Bom Caminho
Rodrigo Cerqueira "
Caminho Nascente.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Rodrigo, thank-you so much for this. This route is exactly what I was looking for. I am planning the Fatima visit as efficiently as possible from the Camino de Santiago and this is perfect for me. I am thrilled that this walks on an aqueduct. Is this really true? Do you also have a list of the towns that one walks through on the Caminho Nascente or are their really no towns or services?

Hello Elle.
I'm Mario from Santarem Hostel in Santarem, not Rodrigo.
I have just shared (copy/paste) the information about the Caminho Nascente posted by Rodrigo on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/amigosdocaminho/?fref=ts or on his web site http://www.caminho.com.pt/
I believe Rodrigo is not a member of the Forum, will check with him.
But, You can contact him on the above sites address
Regarding the details of the Caminho Nascente the link provided on the original text by Google Maps will give all the information you need.
Zoom in, find Fátima, Zoom in again and you will find the Caminho Nascente towards Tomar.
Zoom in again and again to get all the details.
Bom Caminho
Mario

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Elle.
I'm Mario from Santarem Hostel in Santarem, not Rodrigo.
I have just shared (copy/paste) the information about the Caminho Nascente posted by Rodrigo on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/amigosdocaminho/?fref=ts or on his web site http://www.caminho.com.pt/
I believe Rodrigo is not a member of the Forum, will check with him.
But, You can contact him on the above sites address
Regarding the details of the Caminho Nascente the link provided on the original text by Google Maps will give all the information you need.
Zoom in, find Fátima, Zoom in again and you will find the Caminho Nascente towards Tomar.
Zoom in again and again to get all the details.
Bom Caminho
Mario

Sorry Mario! I also found this photo journal by Francisco Gavancho on the Facebook page that was helpful to me: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.950274411657475.1073741847.189973051020952&type=3
Maybe it will be helpful to others.

Dear Elle.
Yes for sure will be.
It is the same text but in Portuguese and lots of photos about the marking work. You will find more different ones on FB or on the Association website.
The important is to have the information and then keep tracking for more details and updates according to your needs.
You have now Rodrigo contacts. Just send him a PM a comment on FB or on the association website.
For sure Rodrigo will reply to you ALL.
Bom Caminho

Hi Mario, I'm assuming that there is currently no way to break up the stage into two, but it is good there is talk of an Albergue. Thanks for the info, there are several people every year who ask about detouring off the Caminho to get to Fatima, and this is a huge help.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will do this part in June/July this summer and be sure to take note of what I think other would like and share here. Very much looking forward to yet another path for me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello,

I am very much wanting to make the walk this week from Tomar to Fatima.

For time reasons (and I have already spend a day-night in Fatima 2010), I am wondering if there is a bus from Fatima back to Tomar in the evening? Thinking I could walk to Fatima, spend several hours there, and then bus back to Tomar for the night, and continue Caminho de Santiago the next day.

Thank you for your kindness,
Simeon

Thank you Mario. See you tomorrow.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For those who want to visit Fatima and return asap to the Caminho de Santiago.

Text by Rodrigo Cerqueira from the "Associação dos Amigos dos Caminhos de Fátima"

" Its officially open and marked the new way "Caminho Nascente" (Portugal)

The new 29.3km way connects “Fatima” to “Tomar” or vice versa. Its a two-way path marked, to help Santiago pilgrims who come to Fatima to return to the original Caminho de Santiago in Tomar. This path isn't "Camino de Santiago", but a path to “Caminho de Santiago”.
Tomar towards Fátima the path is signed with blue arrows. From Fátima towards Tomar the path its signed with yellow arrows. It's called “Camino Nascente" because the way heads East where the sun rises. In Portuguese “Nascente”.

The path from Fatima starts on the east side of the Sanctuary in the street “Praceta de Santo António” along the small shops of religious articles The first arrow its on a street light .

The path from Tomar starts at the Praça da Republica on the left side as you face the front of the city council of Tomar. The first arrow its on an electricity box.

The 29,3 km along this path there is a wide variety of geographies. It crosses mountain regions (physical demanding) rich in wildlife and vegetation. Crosses towns and villages with pilgrim tradition, unique architecture and history. This countryside path allows the pilgrim to contact with the rural Portugal, where the time to stops..
There are plans to open a parish pilgrim albergue in the middle of this path.
Consult and download thebgps track in:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=z6QSjS96a2_w.k2HB9F9TMB74

Key facts::
- The markings of this path were made in 7 days by Father Rui Louro and Rodrigo Cerqueira. We have traveled a total of 144 km, spent 6 liters of white paint and 8 spray paint cans.
- You should be prepared physically to do this way.
- Must take water and food and sunscreen.
- You should not leave garbage in the way or make fire.
- If you plan to start early your journey please make silence in the villages in the early hours.
- The Associação de Amigos dos Caminhos de Fátima, doesn’t organize regular pilgrimages.
- More information about all the pilgrim paths available on www.caminho.com.pt or on our facebook:https://www.facebook.com/amigosdocaminho
- This is not the way of Santiago, nor was it done any historical study of this path.

Bom Caminho
Rodrigo Cerqueira "
View attachment 24405

Dear Rodrigo,

Thank you for marking the path from Tomar to Fatima. My husband and I are planning this walk in early April 2017.

I know you've been asked this several times -- but is there any way to shorten the 30 km? Perhaps get dropped off somewhere? Ideally, we'd walk between 15 to 20 km.

Is there a pilgrim path into Tomar? That's another option to add a little more walking. We did a pilgrimage to Rome last year and would prefer not to walk on busy highways, if possible.

Thank you for your help ... you inspire me! Warm regards, Ning

We have just completed walking this Camino Nascente from Fatima to Tomar, staying for one night at Fungalvaz Albertus (which we had to ourselves). I tried ringing Fr Mauricio's phone which simply rang for awhile and then went to voicemail, which was meaningless to me having no Portuguese. Anyway, sign language at the first cafe on the way in led to a key being produced by an old guy who lead us to the albergue.

The waymarking on the way was generally very good, although there were a couple of places where we had to do a deduction based on the Fatima marking.

The route leads through some interesting countryside, some of which could be mistaken for Aussie Bush were the surrounding vegetation not so green. I'm not so sure I'd try the route in the rain...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Wiebmer
I am not Rodigro.
My name is Mario (Santarem Hostel Owner) I have just shared a post of Rodrigo from his "Amigos dos Caminhos de Fatima" to let you all know about a new caminho from Fátima to Tomar: Caminho da Nascente
Further details, please contact Rodrigo Cerqueira he will be happy in help you.
Bom Caminho
Mario

Hi nzPhreadde
I have sent your comments to Rodrigo Cerqueira president of the "Associação dos amigos do Caminhos de Fátima".
The Caminho Nascente from Fátima to Tomar was marked by him and his team. He will reply to your comments.
Bom Caminho
Mario

As of October/November 2017 , there is a neat little sign up marking the Albergue at the Church. The numbers to call are ... +351 24979 0278 and +351 92669 0327 . The first is for the Mercado owner whose daughter speaks great english , and the second is the padre . Both can give you the key. Very neat albergue to break up the Nascente into 2 parts. They have raised money to furnish it and support pilgrims. Bom Caminho X

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Pilgrims
Thanks for all the support and kind words.
You can find the Guide of the Caminho Nascente on the website of Associação de Amigos dos Caminhos de Fátima. http://www.caminho.com.pt/mapas_e.html

Kind Regards
Rodrigo Cerqueira

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.