• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminho Portugues by wheelchair

Welmoed

Time of past OR future Camino
(2017 Camino Portugues)
We want to do the Caminho Portugues with a friend in a wheelchair, starting in Porto. What is the best route? Is the coastal route do-able? We could either 'push' a wheelchair or (preferably) use a "special needs trailer" (wibike) behind a bicycle. Thank you for your advise!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Bless you for thinking of your friend, but I just don't think the terrain is up for wheelchair travel. I only walked one day along the coast, and as I recall, large parts of it were like boardwalk. Inland, it was a lot of cobblestones and hard packed dirt, with only a few, but very steep inclines. I recall a poor Polish woman with bad knees just in tremendous pain trying to inch her way down a hill, and can't imagine being able to control a wheelchair on it.
Rattling over boardwalk would definitely be easier than cobblestones, but I only saw one day of the coastal. If you'd like me to create a group of surfaces I hiked on for you to see and judge for yourself, I'd be happy to do so.

Hi Welmoed, I walked from Porto in 2014 and met a husband and wife from Germany, both on wheelchairs and doing the Camino, aided by their young cousin, started from Porto too. I met them in Ramallosa, a small town just passed Baiona. We stayed at the Apostle Sisters convent (10 euro private room! Beautiful facility and court yards). Ramallosa was where they stopped as the Camino further on is not very suitable for wheel chairs?
They also told me they plan to set up a website to share their experience and to help others, I hope you could find it (probably in German). I think they also have somebody with a van to transport them in some sections. We went for a stroll in the beach with boardwalks and he managed well. Sorry I couldn't locate their contact info.
Bom Caminho!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I agree the coastal route would be quite a challenge. I recall some steep trails with ruts in the rocks (from Roman chariots I presume.)

Having cycled the Portugues - inland route - and having had to use a wheelchair myself in the past - i would say - research the route b4 you go - viamichelin maps have the camino routes on the 'simple' type map (drop-down on right side of map page - shaped like a map) so that might be a good place to start. I haven't done the coastal up from Porto - but on the inland route there was a whole section from Ponte de Lima that you just would NOT want to do (worst day of my life....) Any really rough offroad section you should be able to find a small road instead. The bike wheelchair - or even make your own 'tougher' version may be a better bet - one cycling the other helping push up the hills or restrain it on downhills, also it means you can swap for a rest...! We had a trailer (one wheel) behind the bike and it was fine. But i would recommend Schwalbe marathon plus tyres on any bike and trailer you use - they are bombproof. Some of the trails are steep and some rocky - but i would think if you and your friend are up for a challenging journey - then go for it! Make sure you have some contingency - in funds if you need to stop for a hotel due to heavy rain or a really tough day, and know where possible train/bus connections are if you cannot continue, and always plenty of water and dried fruit/nuts in case it takes you a lot longer on a tough section than you expect.
But i expect you will have a great adventure - bom camino and good luck!

Thank you so much, all respondents to this thread - all advise is taken to heart. We are still exploring options and any advise is helpful. Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back