• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminho Portugues da Costa/Senda Litoral

Ultreia et Suseia!

Camino training yields the best packing list!
Time of past OR future Camino
From O Porto in September.
Greetings peregrin@s!

We will be walking the Coastal Camino from Matosinhos to Santiago in September.

My questions are about the Matosinhos-Redondela Camino portion (and Senda Litoral) for those who have walked it.

Do you rely on yellow arrows/gps/both?

If your rely on yellow arrows, are these plentiful/reliable?

Did you have trouble getting stamps (specially in the Senda Litoral)?

I am planning on taking a printed sheet I made in Google Maps (if all electronics and arrows fail) but I'm not sure if Google Maps follows the pilgrim path or just roads. I really want to avoid busy traffic roads. I also planned my route with Google Maps because it provides elevation information (I'm not great at climbing, that's why I chose this camino :) ).

By what I have researched, there's plentiful information for the Redondela-Santiago portion because that's where the coastal joins the more popular Caminho Central and newer youtube videos show peregrinos joining the central after a couple of days in the coastal (thanks NadineK !)

Many thanks for any insights,

Ultreia!Screenshot_20220616-121235_Office.jpg

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The routes appear a little different in different apps and guidebooks as they are interpreted differently.

Now I can only speak for the Camino Ninja App as I tracked the trails myself in the one. On the Coastal (Official) route it is pretty well marked. On the Senda Litoral it is mostly marked when it goes by the official Coastal route.

But bring an app like the Camino Ninja App and you won't get lost. There's other services as well but I haven't used any of them on the Portuguese ways so I can't really tell if they are good or bad.

Best regards
Andy

Everywhere are yellow waymarkers but you do not need them.
keep the ocean at your left and keep following the beaches all away to Vigo
from Nigràn ( past Baiona) you can follow green waymarkers They lead you along the beaches instead of through the hills further away from the beaches
From Vigo follow the yellow waymarkers

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On the Senda Litoral it is mostly marked when it goes by the official Coastal route.

But bring an app like the Camino Ninja App and you won't get lost. There's other services as well but I haven't used any of them on the Portuguese ways so I can't really tell if they are good or bad.
I already have the app 😉 my favorite feature is the list of services with prices for every village!
Everywhere are yellow waymarkers but you do not need them.
keep the ocean at your left and keep following the beaches all away to Vigo
from Nigràn ( past Baiona) you can follow green waymarkers They lead you along the beaches instead of through the hills further away from the beaches
From Vigo follow the yellow waymarkers
Obrigadísima!

I just got back from walking Portuguese Coastal and Littoral, with the Espiritual. As this was my second Camino, I thought I knew what to look for but got "lost" several times. If it wasn't for a group of 5 Spanish "Angels" I would still be walking on the bridge to no where. Yes, I had the Brierly, Wise Pilgrim, Elle Bierlings Pilgrim Traveler books. Markers are not as obvious. Hard to find places to get stamps, long stretches without bars/cafes, churches were closed.. While I enjoyed walking close to the ocean, I feel there was no to little pilgrim vibe along this route. It wasn't until Redondela, that I actually saw venues with signs welcoming pilgrims and pilgrim menus. If you want history and the churches my recommendation would be to do the Central route.

I just got back from walking Portuguese Coastal and Littoral, with the Espiritual. As this was my second Camino, I thought I knew what to look for but got "lost" several times. If it wasn't for a group of 5 Spanish "Angels" I would still be walking on the bridge to no where. Yes, I had the Brierly, Wise Pilgrim, Elle Bierlings Pilgrim Traveler books. Markers are not as obvious. Hard to find places to get stamps, long stretches without bars/cafes, churches were closed.. While I enjoyed walking close to the ocean, I feel there was no to little pilgrim vibe along this route. It wasn't until Redondela, that I actually saw venues with signs welcoming pilgrims and pilgrim menus. If you want history and the churches my recommendation would be to do the Central route.
Thank you so much @Dojo for the candid response!
You confirm my gut feeling! Sometimes it all looks great on paper but reality is a different kettle of fish!
I'm taking note of everything you say as I'm kind of forced to take the litoral due to my difficulty to climb.

Do you think GPS would help? What did the Spanish angels know that you didn't?

BTW, I love your tat, ¡¡¡ultreia!!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for your advice . Can you tell me location of office for Credencials and also will i need a new mobile Portugal Sim card for my coastal walk starting July3

Thank you for your advice . Can you tell me location of office for Credencials and also will i need a new mobile Portugal Sim card for my coastal walk starting July3
Credentials you can get in the cathedral of Porto .
Portuguese simcards are available in the towncenter of Porto

Greetings peregrin@s!

My questions are about the Matosinhos-Redondela Camino portion (and Senda Litoral) for those who have walked it.

I am planning on taking a printed sheet I made in Google Maps (if all electronics and arrows fail) but I'm not sure if Google Maps follows the pilgrim path or just roads. I really want to avoid busy traffic roads. I also planned my route with Google Maps because it provides elevation information (I'm not great at climbing, that's why I chose this camino :) ).

By what I have researched, there's plentiful information for the Redondela-Santiago portion because that's where the coastal joins the more popular Caminho Central and newer youtube videos show peregrinos joining the central after a couple of days in the coastal (thanks NadineK !)

Ultreia!

View attachment 127751
Hi,
We walk a portion of this route back in May from Porto to Caminha. The route is quiet and poorly way-marked after Vila do Conde, until Viana do Castelo where many pilgrims join the route, I assume crossing over from the central route. Having said that, you basically keep the ocean close as possible on your left and walk North. We did go "off route" a couple of times on purpose, to walk away from the roads. I have a "Live from Camino" thread you may want to view with more detailed info.regards Airfix

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Forgot to mention, we walked the central route from Porto to SdC last September, hence the return to walk only a portion of the Litoral. The routes are different, and to say one is "better" than the other would be irrelevant. My preference, if I expressed it, is particular only to me. But the Litoral is a quieter route, with time for personal reflection. On the central route there was more of a Camino community with greater opportunity to meet and share experiences with other Pilgrims.
Airfix

We walked the Coastal/ littoral using Brierleys book and the way markers and had no trouble. The tourist office in Baiona gave us a map which showed us the green route as described by Albertino which was a lovely alternate. We really enjoyed the route as it was quieter , and felt a little overwhelmed when we joined up with the crowds after Redondela. Some really nice towns, Oia and Baiona stand out.

The routes appear a little different in different apps and guidebooks as they are interpreted differently.

Now I can only speak for the Camino Ninja App as I tracked the trails myself in the one. On the Coastal (Official) route it is pretty well marked. On the Senda Litoral it is mostly marked when it goes by the official Coastal route.

Best regards
Andy
What he say. Use Camino Ninja. I did. Bom Caminho!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm off to Porto today to start this route tomorrow. I have the Brierly guide and Ninja App (thanks to the creator of this!) but hope to leave my phone at the bottom of my back pack. As others have said, if the ocean is on the left and heading north then surely can't go that wrong? There are 4 of us and we hope to have a dip in the ocean each day to cool down. Other than the first night in a campsite, we have no bookings made.

I'm off to Porto today to start this route tomorrow. I have the Brierly guide and Ninja App (thanks to the creator of this!) but hope to leave my phone at the bottom of my back pack. As others have said, if the ocean is on the left and heading north then surely can't go that wrong? There are 4 of us and we hope to have a dip in the ocean each day to cool down. Other than the first night in a campsite, we have no bookings made.
Going north you only have one possibility .that’s that the Atlantic Ocean is at your left side all the time , anyway till Vigo in Spain. If that is not the case , the world should have been changed upside down or your compass is not good.

you will come to a time that more tourists will be at the coast in the main places .
I think of Viana do Castelo , Vila Praia de Âncora, Caminha ,Baiona.
But if you don’t succeed finding a place, what I hardly can’t imagine, go to the local tourist information.They have the contacts.
In Viana do Castelo is Pensão o Laranjeira ( this is NOT hotel Laranjeira)
Give them a call some days ahead. This place is great to stay and one of the owners walked the caminho https://www.olaranjeira.com/

in Vila Praia de Âncora the tourist information found a nice appartment in the connected street between the beach and the main square ( close by the railwaycrossing and the station.)
In Caminha last time we stayed in a hotel opposite the railwaystation

In earlier years we crossed the Minho river and stayed in A Guarda in a hotel in the towncenter. There will no issue to find a place

bom caminho

I have a "Live from Camino" thread you may want to view with more detailed info.
Thank you so much @Airfix I will check this right away!!
... the Litoral is a quieter route, with time for personal reflection. On the central route there was more of a Camino community with greater opportunity to meet and share experiences with other Pilgrims.
Sounds like a perfect mix to me 🤩
Bom caminho !!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Greetings peregrin@s!

Ultreia!View attachment 127751
I just returned on Wednesday from walking Porto to Caminha twice with two different groups. We did the coastal and in most places the Litoral and had great experiences on both occasions. I also did this route in 2019 right up to Santiago.
As many sau below, if you keep the Atlantic on your left you cannot really go wrong. It is quiet at the moment, the season not really starting here until the schools break up but quieter is lovely and the beaches are stunning both in Portugal and in Spain. It is one of my favourite routes. On a Sunday it was challenging to get places to eat at times and also on a Monday evening in small places like Vila Prais de Ancora but we did. We stayed mainly in small hotels so cannot comment on the alburges.

I just returned on Wednesday from walking Porto to Caminha twice with two different groups. We did the coastal and in most places the Litoral and had great experiences on both occasions. I also did this route in 2019 right up to Santiago.
As many sau below, if you keep the Atlantic on your left you cannot really go wrong. It is quiet at the moment, the season not really starting here until the schools break up but quieter is lovely and the beaches are stunning both in Portugal and in Spain. It is one of my favourite routes. On a Sunday it was challenging to get places to eat at times and also on a Monday evening in small places like Vila Prais de Ancora but we did. We stayed mainly in small hotels so cannot comment on the alburges.
We're thinking of doing Porto to Caminha next year as we don't have time to do the complete route and we only do about 15-20km a day. I'd be interested in the small hotels you stayed in as we will be looking for private rooms and bathrooms. Thanks.

We're thinking of doing Porto to Caminha next year as we don't have time to do the complete route and we only do about 15-20km a day. I'd be interested in the small hotels you stayed in as we will be looking for private rooms and bathrooms. Thanks.
Hi, hotels I have stayed in on that route were -
Hotel Pao Acucar in Porto
Hotel Brazao in Vila Do Conde
Hotel Suave Mar in Esposende
Hotel Rali Viana in Viana do Castelo and there is also the Hotel Laranjeira there too
Hotel Meira in Praia de âncora
Hotel Porto do Sol in Caminha which was a bigger hotel but a treat for my group on their last day
Hope that helps

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
HI Zennor!
Walked Coastal,Senda andVariant Espiritual from Porto to Santiago!
My stops last year up to Caminha! All good some more expensive than others. Caravela right on the way 17km from Porto had whole ground floor apartment (so had private bathroom i believe all others rooms have shared amenities; very friendly) owner took me to supermarket for food!
If i remember right Hotel Brazao had the best breakfast for a Hotel.
Hotel Laranjeira great staff walls a bit thin! Best place i stayed out of 17 on my walk was Villa do Corceis! in Esposende great people and nothing to much trouble Nuno after breakfast gave me cake,fruit and made sandwiches for my next stage without being asked. Hope you have a great walk.
All the best Woody

PORTOMAYORS APARTMENTS
CABO DO MONDO CARAVELA
VILA DO CONDE HOTEL BRAZ AO
ESPOSENDE Villa dos Corcéis
VIANA DE CASTELO Hotel Laranjeira
CAMINHAArca Nova Guest House & Hostel

Greetings peregrin@s!

Ultreia!View attachment 127751
Just returned from that route a few weeks ago. Plenty of arrows/ shells and direction on the way. We loved the Senda Litoral route and although the arrows/ shells were not as plentiful, there's enough of them to direct you onward. My husband also had the google maps directions and they were helpful when needed, but you won't have any problems finding the way. Buen Camino! (In Portugal -> Bom Camino!)

Hi, hotels I have stayed in on that route were -
Hotel Pao Acucar in Porto
Hotel Brazao in Vila Do Conde
Hotel Suave Mar in Esposende
Hotel Rali Viana in Viana do Castelo and there is also the Hotel Laranjeira there too
Hotel Meira in Praia de âncora
Hotel Porto do Sol in Caminha which was a bigger hotel but a treat for my group on their last day
Hope that helps
Thank you so much!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
HI Zennor!
Walked Coastal,Senda andVariant Espiritual from Porto to Santiago!
My stops last year up to Caminha! All good some more expensive than others. Caravela right on the way 17km from Porto had whole ground floor apartment (so had private bathroom i believe all others rooms have shared amenities; very friendly) owner took me to supermarket for food!
If i remember right Hotel Brazao had the best breakfast for a Hotel.
Hotel Laranjeira great staff walls a bit thin! Best place i stayed out of 17 on my walk was Villa do Corceis! in Esposende great people and nothing to much trouble Nuno after breakfast gave me cake,fruit and made sandwiches for my next stage without being asked. Hope you have a great walk.
All the best Woody

PORTOMAYORS APARTMENTS
CABO DO MONDOCARAVELA
VILA DO CONDEHOTEL BRAZ AO
ESPOSENDEVilla dos Corcéis
VIANA DE CASTELOHotel Laranjeira
CAMINHAArca Nova Guest House & Hostel
Camino Portuguese Senda Litoral accommodations. We chose hotels.
Matosinhos= Pensao Central- 66 Euro
Villa do Conde= Artor Guest House- 75 Euro (Highly recommend)
Santo Andre= Santo Andre on the beach hotel- 67 Euro (also beautiful room & view)
Esposende= Suave Mar- 77 Euro
Viana do Castel= Hotel de Parque- 55 Euro
Afife= Didn't book early enough, nothing available we could find/ slept on the sand on a bluff @ the beach- beautiful sunset and sounds of the ocean, but I don't think I'd do that again, the sand isn't as soft as I remember in my younger days!
Rest Day in Vila Praia de Acora= Stayed @ Hotel Meira- 90 Euro (a bit more but totally worth it, we arrived very early without much sleep night before, but they gave us our room hours before check in to rest, very sweet staff!)
So up to Caminha prices varied, we planned for 80 Euro each night, so most every night we came in under budget.
Have a wonderful & adventurous time, Bom Camino! R&M~

Most read last week in this forum

Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back