• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminho portugues de la Prata

eze

Time of past OR future Camino
Francès 2005/2006
Norte 2007
Plata 2008
Eze (home) Roma
Mozarabe April 2014 (Granada-Cordoba) March 2016 (Córdoba-Merida)
Camino Gironès September 2014 (La Jonquera-Vic)
Hello to you all friends,

After having hiked Camino de la Plata from Seville to Salamanca, this march 2010, i am looking forward re starting at the end of September to reach Santiago (for the third time).
We are tempted to, when arrived in Zamora, turn left in the direction of Bragança, then Vinhais and reach Camino de la Plata in A Gudina from A Mezquita.
We would be interested in reading, if any, some of your experiences on this Cammino.
I already have order the Raju's guide related to this ways.

Merci beaucoup à l'avance

Francis

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, eze,

Welcome back! I benefitted from a lot of your information when I walked the Vdlp this May-June, so thanks. Wen I arrived in Zamora, I continued on to Santiago via Ourense, so I don't have any first hand knowledge of this route.

In Zamora I met one person who was planning to walk the Portuguese variant, but I never saw him in Santiago so I don't know how it went. I think that accommodations are few and far between, and know that he was planning to walk long stages. The first stage out of Zamora, which is typically said to be to about 24 km to San Pedro de la Nave, leaves you in a small town with no accommodation. I asked the attendant in the church where peregrinos sleep, and she pointed to an outdoor bar's overhang.

I walked from San Pedro back to Zamora, having gotten a ride out with the hospitalero in Zamora and was pretty much able to follow the arrows backwards, though not perfectly. The land is flat, agricultural, and not terribly interesting, but the church is stunning.

My "live from the Camino" postings have info on some of the stages you will be doing: live-from-the-camino/topic8543.html

BTW, Braganca is a very nice city to visit!

Buen camino a todos, Laurie

Hello Laurie,

Once again, you are the first to answer my message.
I am happy that you found our infos useful.
I have discovered Wikiloc as an info source about this path, and that "semurandar" has put in line the totality of the Portuguese Via de Prata path maps.
Thanks for your private message, i ll appreciated.
I ll also take the best of your blog to prepare our stages when back to Spain in A Gudina.

Merci beaucoup
Francis

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Francis,

I'd be interested to hear why you decided to take the Portuguese variant of the Vdlp rather than the more frequent one through Granja de Moruela, etc.

If I remember correctly, you tend to prefer private accommodations, and I thought I'd give you the link to a website that I frequently use when I travel in Portugal. It is quite comprehensive, from fancy hotels to simple residencias or pensoes. http://www.maisturismo.pt/

Good luck with the planning. Bom caminho, Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for the link. I already organized our stops.

1st stage Muelas del Pan (Spain) Casa rural El Vedal
2nd stage Fornillas de Aliste (Spain) Casa rural Lajafriz
3rd stage Trabazos (Spain) Hostal Los Castanos
4th stage Bragança (Portugal) not yet decided. Why not Pousada !
5th stage Vinhais (Portugal) Pensao Ribeirinhas
6th stage A Mezquita (Spain) not yet decided between 2 casas rurales. This stage allows us to cross south north the Natural park of Montesinhos.
7th stage A Gudina.

We decided to take the portuguese variant for the reason you noticed that we prefer private accomodations to albergues. Very difficult to find some pensiones from Zamora onwards.
And we spare about 75 kms.

Have a nice day !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Peter,

Thanks vm for providing those interesting maps.
I had seen them on Wikiloc (from Semurandar) but really unable to exploit them.
I wish i could take them with me during our walk but really do not know how to proceed.
I can carry a GPS Tomtom 530 and also an Iphone (without internet excepted in wiki areas).
I dream that i could check my walk "live" during the stage.
Is there a possibility to stock these maps somewhere on one of those two devices ?
Have a nice day.

eze said:
I dream that i could check my walk "live" during the stage.
Is there a possibility to stock these maps somewhere on one of those two devices ?
I plan to set up a mobile version that can be called up on a mobile browser such as on the iphone. Also to make it easier to create images from the maps, i.e. an image with the route overlaid on the topo maps. Main problem is finding the time to do all the things I would like to do :-( And at the moment, you can use something like the iphone to check a map every so often, or when you're in doubt which way to go, but you can't have it on all the time, as the battery will expire long before you finish your day's walk.

Hello Peter,

The maps you sent me are exactly what i was looking for.
How could i transfer these maps on my iphone (if it is possible) in order to check them from time to time during our walk ?
Thanks very much.

Francis

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
there's movement afoot to develop a donativo infrastructure along this route. The links to the maps above are dead. Can anyone help me find some updated maps of this route out of Zamora?

there's movement afoot to develop a donativo infrastructure along this route. The links to the maps above are dead. Can anyone help me find some updated maps of this route out of Zamora?
Hola, Reb!

A friend of mine (Laurie met him on del Salvador last summer) walked it in reverse after reaching Santiago and he told me that they are really doing it big time. They even asked him (because fluent in Spanish) to be resident hospitalero in any of the albergues on the route he choosed.
I can go dig deep down into my mailing history or contact him (living in Madrid) for info and possible contacts if you wish. He was completely thrilled by this route but came from Casa Fernanda on Portugues and I'm not really sure which part he's really familiar with.

All the best!

This is exciting! I would love to walk that variant -- I did walk one part of a stage in reverse when I was in Zamora and got a ride out to San Pedro de la Nave. Have you been there, Reb? That's reason enough to visit! It's very very nice. And Braganca is one of those hidden out of the way gems you never hear about and you wonder why when you visit.

Are there people working on the Portuguese part and the last bit before A Gudina?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is exciting! I would love to walk that variant -- I did walk one part of a stage in reverse when I was in Zamora and got a ride out to San Pedro de la Nave. Have you been there, Reb? That's reason enough to visit! It's very very nice. And Braganca is one of those hidden out of the way gems you never hear about and you wonder why when you visit.

Are there people working on the Portuguese part and the last bit before A Gudina?

From what I see on Wikiloc, there's now only one long stretch without stops, and that's where the frontier is.
I have been to San Pedro de la Nave, and saw out there one of the weirdest, most primitive things I have ever seen in Spain. The people in that town still hang a straw man up on a pole every May Day, and leave him dangling up there to rot away through the growing season... eeeu!

This is very remote country. I would love to walk this, but I think I wouldn't want to go on my own. Maybe Don Blas can lend me a donkey? Or I can chase up a famous Zamora mule...
And I've never been to Braganca.
Life is too short.

José Almeida from the donativo in Tabara is responsible for the push although there may be others.

We were in contact this past fall when he inquired if I wanted to be a permanent hospitalera in one of the future municipals along this route. It is way too isolated and quiet for my liking, walking is one thing but living there on my own is another story.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back