• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminho Portuguese From Lisbon April

Searching

Time of past OR future Camino
September/ October 2016
Hi,

I've been thinking recently about doing the Caminho Portuguese from Lisbon (interior) April 1st.

I have had a brief look online, and I'm still undecided. Things that concern me: snakes, Mosquitos, being the only pilgrim, safety and rain.

My gut says go and do it.

I value your thoughts:)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Things that concern me: snakes, Mosquitos, being the only pilgrim, safety and rain.
Experience as a portuguese living in Portugal:
Snakes : not likely to came across one. At all. It might happen but, if you do, they're small and nonpoisonous.
Mosquitos : in April is pretty unlikely to happen
Safety : Portugal is really safe. Just be aware of car drivers.
Rain : in Portugal we say "Em Abril, águas mil" ("In April, thousand waters") which means it is a rainy month. That being said, weather is always unpredictable

Experience as a portuguese living in Portugal:
Snakes : not likely to came across one. At all. It might happen but, if you do, they're small and none poisonous.
Mosquitos : in April is pretty unlikely to happen
Safety : Portugal is really safe. Just be aware of car drivers.
Rain : in Portugal we say "Em Abril, águas mil" ("In April, thousand waters") which means it is a rainy month. That being said, weather is always unpredictable
JCLima, thank you so much for that amazing reply!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi @Searching,
I visited Australia in October and November last year and was pre-warned that the country has the top 10 things that will kill you. Brown snakes, sharks, box jelly fish, crocodiles, man eating spiders and even Castleberry's (don't ask). Did not see one of these (except in the Alice Springs zoo) and the closest I came to meeting my maker was eating a 'Pie Floater' in Adelaide........Listen to your gut and go do it!
Buen Camino

The only thing I want to add that most posters don't mention is the cobblestone. Make sure that the footwear your planning to wear is soft enough to take the shock, yet offers you enough support for those 30 km days. Other than that, I have only positives to say about this route. I hope you go for it!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino Addict, I guess i'll be wearing my Meindl Mid XCR Boots, as i wont have enough time to break in new shoes. Thank you for your reply, my trip is looking more likely with every reply.

Hi,

I've been thinking recently about doing the Caminho Portuguese from Lisbon (interior) April 1st.

I have had a brief look online, and I'm still undecided. Things that concern me: snakes, Mosquitos, being the only pilgrim, safety and rain.

Ihave walked the Portuguese Camino , saw two dead snakes and had a fight late at night with one Mosquito ( now dead ) .It is quiet ,particularly the Lisbon to Porto
section but but lovely and a break from the frenzy of the
Camino France .
Buen camino

Camino Addict, I guess i'll be wearing my Meindl Mid XCR Boots, as i wont have enough time to break in new shoes. Thank you for your reply, my trip is looking more likely with every reply.

Those are great boots and they should do the trick. I don't know how many days you'll be in Lisbon, but if you have the time, take a "free" walking tour plus some extra trekking around the city, and see how those boots feel. If by chance they are causing problems, there are outfitters in the Lisboa and most modern boots these days don't require a breaking in period.

Bom Caminho!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you for all the wonderful replies, i have booked my flights, and will commence my caminho portuguese April 1st from Lisbon. I am scared and nervous, but excited at the same time:)
I'll be leaving Lisbon April 3rd or 4th. I'll keep an eye out for you. The "Via Lusitana", the portuguese pilgrim asscn site, http://www.vialusitana.org/ lists a phone number at which I am told English is spoken. They also operate the Albergue at Alpriate, 20ks out of Lisbon and perhaps a good spot to stay on your first night.
Regards
Gerard

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi @Searching,
I visited Australia in October and November last year and was pre-warned that the country has the top 10 things that will kill you. Brown snakes, sharks, box jelly fish, crocodiles, man eating spiders and even Castleberry's (don't ask). Did not see one of these (except in the Alice Springs zoo) and the closest I came to meeting my maker was eating a 'Pie Floater' in Adelaide........Listen to your gut and go do it!
Buen Camino

I am in Australia and we have regular sightings of brown snakes literally just outside our office building every summer, and we are NOT in the Outback. That said, I have never seen one myself. On the other hand, I did see one (dead, squashed) snake on the trail while doing the Le Puy route last year. If I am not mistaken, far more pilgrims have completed their camino journeys without encountering any (living) snake than those who have, so this concern shouldn't be something that holds you back.

Searching and gerardcarey:

I would like to do the Portuguese Camino sometime in mid-May to mid-June. I'm trying to decide if I ought to start in Lisbon or in Porto--or, indeed, even in Tomar. Once you complete the camino, please do let us know how it went. I am a bit concerned that I might be the only person walking, especially on the Lisbon to Porto stretch.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Once you complete the camino, please do let us know how it went. I am a bit concerned that I might be the only person walking, especially on the Lisbon to Porto stretch.
I will indeed alexnica. But don't be shy in giving me a conversation reminder if I happen to forget.
But I don't think you will be alone. I am finding out now about other folks leaving about the same time as me, early april.
That is only from our small community. And we are a minute section of the total pilgrims attempting this, or any, Camino.
Regards
Gerard

Searching and gerardcarey:

I would like to do the Portuguese Camino sometime in mid-May to mid-June. I'm trying to decide if I ought to start in Lisbon or in Porto--or, indeed, even in Tomar. Once you complete the camino, please do let us know how it went. I am a bit concerned that I might be the only person walking, especially on the Lisbon to Porto stretch.

I'll start walking in Santarem around mid to late May. I have seen quite a few others in this forum mentioning that they are starting in or around Lison in May, so my guess is this is the beginning of the popular season for this route.

The Pope will be in Fatima May 12th so I would guess that whole area will be very busy and I would guess that there might be a lot more pilgrims that usual - just an FYI for your planning purposes...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am going to try to contact Mario of @santaremhostel Hostel to see if he has good information about this and suggestions. I know that he is always very busy in May since it's one of the classic pilgrimage months for Fatima. But this is likely to produce crowds beyond the normal highs.

BTW, the albergue in Alpriate (20 km from cathedral) is opening on March 15, so it may be that there is a broader range of dates for finding company if you start in Lisbon.

And while I'm at it, might as well throw in a plug for the Forum guides in the Resources section. Updated annually with comments from Forum members, they are pretty terrific, IMO (IMBO, In my biased opinion is more accurate-- full disclosure;)).

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/categories/camino-portugues.40/

Hi Laurie.
Yes the Pope will arrive on the 12 (late) to the candle procession and leave on the 13 after the mass.
It is a very short visit and will visit only Fatima due the 100 years miracle celebration.
All places to stay around Fatima are full and the few available, if any, will cost you around 1000€
If any of You decide to visit Fatima be prepared for a hard time
Bom Caminho
Mario

The Pope will be in Fatima May 12th so I would guess that whole area will be very busy and I would guess that there might be a lot more pilgrims that usual - just an FYI for your planning purposes...
Oh, dear! Thanks for letting me know. I might start out after the 15th then to avoid the stampede.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh, dear! Thanks for letting me know. I might start out after the 15th then to avoid the stampede.

Yes, this was one of the reasons why I have timed my visit to Fatima such that I won't be there until more than a week after the Pope's visit. I won't be staying in Fatima either and will only visit as a side trip from Tomar.

Hi,

I am currently on the Camino Portuguese. I begin seven days ago from Lisbon , and I have only met one pilgrim, Who moved on a few days ago. Maybe April will be better.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.