• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caminho with my dog

Cintia rodrigues

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminho portugues
Hi, anyone made the Camino Portuguese with a dog with 30kgs?
I'm thinking to do it with my dog but I don't know how to come back from santiago de compostela to Portugal with my dog in a public transport. Seems that in Spain big dogs like mine are not allowed to travel in a public transports....do you have an idea how to deal with this matter?
I'm travelling in a budget so taxi is not an option for me...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The only advice I can give is in the form of an opinion, and that would be that walking the Camino with a dog is not good for the dog, and that most facilities along the Camino routes, even popular ones like the Portugues and Frances do not cater to dogs and probably most fellow pilgrims aren't keen on sharing space with one. I own dogs, and have owned them for years, but I don't want to share an albergue with one. I would never bring one of my dogs on the Camino.

The only advice I can give is in the form of an opinion, and that would be that walking the Camino with a dog is not good for the dog, and that most facilities along the Camino routes, even popular ones like the Portugues and Frances do not cater to dogs and probably most fellow pilgrims aren't keen on sharing space with one. I own dogs, and have owned them for years, but I don't want to share an albergue with one. I would never bring one of my dogs on the Camino.
Thank you for your opinion! I understand that many people don't want to share the space with a dog but exist many places dog friendly, but my question was if some one have an idea how can I can came back from Spain to Portugal with my dog traveling on a budget!
If the Camino is good for a dog or not, I allready spoke with my dogs vet and couch, so I have already a professional opinion! thank you anyway to spend your time answering with another topic!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Cintia, since you are from Portugal, perhaps the best option would be to ask a friend to pick you and your dog up by car? Or else, walk back from Santiago to Fisterra and the along the coast to Portugal.

APACA has lots of info about doing the caminos with dogs or another pet, link here:
https://apaca.paradoxahumana.com/
They offer a special Compostela Canina (not the offcial one) for dogs who arrive in good health in Santiago, and also for dogs whose owners decide to break off their camino due to concerns about the health of their furry companions.

1573336653811.png

Last edited:
Thank you for your helpfully information!
My only concern it's because I'm from the south of Portugal so I don't have any friend near by to pick me up! 🤔
But maybe on Facebook groups I can meet some one who can help me!
But about APACA, first time I hear that (I'm New on this), really appreciate the information 😘

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It is not just that people do not want to share space with a dog, it is also because of allergies. Alburgues as a lodging option may not be available for dogs. So planning for other private lodgings which will allow dogs may be a necessity.

Another website that may be of use to you is

http://www.caminoconmiperro.com/

They offer a lot of information on how to prepare for the perregrino and they urge everyone to make an honest analysis of what you dog is capable of. Basically, you plan your camino around the needs of the dog and that should be the basis of your camino plan.

It is easier to walk with a tiny dog like a chihuahua, when they are tired, you lift them up and continue walking. A dog of 30 kgs ... not so much. You need to come up with a different plan.

I once had a German Shepherd who loved walking 20 kms a day, and the next day, he would take a rest day. That was his rhythm, and that was what made him happy. Every next day, no matter what. Turned out, I loved those rest days as well 😴 so perhaps neither of us qualified for the Camino.

The young Shepherd lady of barely 20 months that now lives in the house, is fiercely protective of me. She will bark at everyone with a deep ROARRR, she will not stop until the person disappears and I am certain that in strange surroundings, she will stay awake during the night to guard me. I expect her to be exhausted within two days. Very sweet, very talented, but no Camino material.

Hope this helps a bit. There are other considerations, like food and feet and heat. There is a lot of info, use it well and make the best plan for you and your friend.

Last edited:
Another website that may be of use to you is

http://www.caminoconmiperro.com/

They offer a lot of information on how to prepare for the perregrino and they urge everyone to make an honest analysis of what you dog is capable of. Basically, you plan your camino around the needs of the dog and that should be the basis of your camino plan.

It is easier to walk with a tiny dog like a chihuahua, when they are tired, you lift them up and continue walking. A dog of 30 kgs ... not so much. You need to come up with a different plan.

I once had a German Shepherd who loved walking 20 kms a day, and the next day, he would take a rest day. That was his rythm, and that was what made him happy. Every next day, no matter what. Turned out, I loved those rest days as well 😴 so perhaps neither of us qualified for the Camino.

The young Shepherd lady of barely 20 months that now lives in the house, is fiercely protective of me. She will bark at everyone with a deep ROARRR, she will not stop until the person disappears and I am certain that in strange surroundings, she will stay awake during the night to guard me. I expect her to be exhausted within two days. Very sweet, very talented, but no Camino material.

Hope this helps a bit. There are other considerations, like food and feet and heat. There is a lot of info, use it well and make the best plan for you and your friend.
I'm starting to plan the Camino
I spoke with my dog's vet and my dog's couch and I'm aware of the challenge ...and my priority is his health (and mine too🙄)
Anyway I think the pros worth against cons. I think with the Camino we can build even a stronger connection between eachother and off course , if it is too much for him I would have a plan B
Thank you for your help 😗

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did walk myself with a dog once within Spain, one of my most beautiful camino's.
There are indeed dog friendly albergues, hope it will be easy for you to find them.

But indeed, transport with a dog in Spain might be difficult. I used 2 options:
- blablacar. You can check if a ride can be with a pet. Always check out carefully with the driver
- hire a car. But to drop a car in a different country is very expensive, What I did once was drop off the car just before the border, and pick up another car at the other side. This was much cheaper. I don't know what the options are near a Spanish-Portugese border. And when driving, you can always try to lower your costs by taking people through blablacar. :)
If dogs are allowed in Portugese trains and buses, it will be easier.

I found what looks like part of the checklist:

My dog and I are used to walking long distances during various days.
My dog adjusts well to different types and brands of food
My dog adjusts well to sleeping in different locations, with unknown people.
My dog travels well on bus and train.
I can carry the extra water, food and gear that my dog needs.
I am ready to give up my goal of reaching Santiago because my dog is unhappy and needs to go home.

Having the budget to cover emergencies goes without saying....

🐶 🐶 🐶 🐶

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

There’s a shop near me in Cumbria with a sign ‘no dogs unless carried’ - well, to me that’s just a challenge so I paraded through there with my 30kg Labrador Henry in my arms.

In Iberia there seem to be two sorts of dogs - lightweight cat-sized dogs which are clearly, but only recently, regarded as pets and (pardon my rather partial opinion) ‘proper dogs’ which many still see as livestock protectors or farm animals. There are few concessions for the latter.

France is an entirely different matter. If you don’t have a dog, someone will lend you one.

There’s a shop near me in Cumbria with a sign ‘no dogs unless carried’ - well, to me that’s just a challenge so I paraded through there with my 30kg Labrador Henry in my arms.

In Iberia there seem to be two sorts of dogs - lightweight cat-sized dogs which are clearly, but only recently, regarded as pets and (pardon my rather partial opinion) ‘proper dogs’ which many still see as livestock protectors or farm animals. There are few concessions for the latter.

France is an entirely different matter. If you don’t have a dog, someone will lend you one.

Sorry - just realised you are Portuguese, you already know more about this than me.

APACA are really nice people but their administration is very poor - they are a volunteer based charity, but still.

I tried to donate to them twice and finally they apologised and just sent me Henry’s ‘Perrogrino’ passport. I’ll make a cash donation next time I’m in Santiago.,

As a general comment, it would be appreciated if comments actually pertain to the poster's question rather than an opinion about taking a dog. It seems that everytime someone posts about this topic (and there have been many) the OP gets attacked. Sorry for the rant but this is not the first time.

As others have said blabla car is the best and most likely cheapest option. I caught a ride from Vigo to Madrid in a car this past Easter and one of the "passengers" was the drivers dog.

In October I took my dog on the train in Spain (Renfe) but busses don't accept them unfortunately. Is there a rule for the size of the dog in Portugal?

p.s. I walked a week on the Norte with a dog of mine and he did great. My current dog has done a few stages on the Francés and I hope to walk 1-2 weeks with her in February.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The man in the next bed to me in the Albergue in SJPP had a dog. Three days later I met up with him in Pamplona. The dog was leaving paw prints in blood on the footpath. I thought it was very cruel of him to take his dog on such a long trek.

I know it's not a direct response to the question, but please be mindful that the route north of Porto involves a lot of hard surfaces such as cobblestones, concrete and bitumen, which becomes very trying underfoot, for both humans and dogs. Maybe you were already aware, but if not it's something to consider.

I'm thinking to do it with my dog but I don't know how to come back from santiago de compostela to Portugal with my dog in a public transport. Seems that in Spain big dogs like mine are not allowed to travel in a public transports....do you have an idea how to deal with this matter?
Try Blah blah car sharing. For sure you can get back. I’m Canadian, have a 13 kg hound, I’m in Portugal January to March and hope to walk Fisherman’s Way or some of camino
With my dog. I understand the desire to share the long walks with your best friend!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I thought I read somewhere that buses will transport dogs but only in crates that you supply and if placed in the luggage compartment below the passenger area. This area is not air conditioned and so is not safe for the dog in hot weather.

The man in the next bed to me in the Albergue in SJPP had a dog. Three days later I met up with him in Pamplona. The dog was leaving paw prints in blood on the footpath. I thought it was very cruel of him to take his dog on such a long trek.
Was the dog allowed in the albergue sleeping quarters?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Really. I'd like to know which albergue that is so as to avoid it next time in Saint Jean. Given a choice and being that albergues there are not cheap, I have no desire to stay at one that allows dogs in the sleeping quarters.

The stamp in my credential from 2015 is a bit unclear but the name commences with "Auberge...." It was on the opposite side of the road from the Camino office but a little down the hill.

Try Blah blah car sharing. For sure you can get back. I’m Canadian, have a 13 kg hound, I’m in Portugal January to March and hope to walk Fisherman’s Way or some of camino
With my dog. I understand the desire to share the long walks with your best friend!

The Fishman's way would be a lovely walk for you both, quiet and well marked. There are a few tricky descents/ascents from the cliffs to the beach and walking long stretches on soft sand on two days so practice a bit before I would say. I take weekly walks in the dunes here in The Netherlands including beach walking so I didn't find it a problem and my current dog is used to it but I have heard that others have found the terrain quite challenging.

Maybe Bea and I should come down and meet you two :) . I'll be volunteering in the albergue in Ricobayo on the Camino Via de la Plata Portugues the first two weeks of February and want to walk the last 2 with Bea but haven't decided where.

This is the information from the Portuguese trains website about travelling with dogs...you would need to get from the SdC border back down to Portugal in some other fashion, but it sounds as if even big dogs are allowed on the trains, for a price...quote below:

"Dogs can be taken without being in a transporter box if the owner buys a ticket for them depending non the train, as shown below:
  • Alfa Pendular and Intercidades: full-price ticket (only on sale from ticket offices);
  • Regional and InterRegional: half-price ticket (only on sale from ticket offices).
On the Lisbon, Porto and Coimbra urban trains the dogs travel for free.
In these conditions the dog has to have a muzzle and be on a short leash and the owner must have the animal's vaccination card and a valid licence. So as not to bother other passengers, the dog must stay on the floor."

If you're travelling on a budget, planning to use the Regional and InterRegional services, which are slower but still pretty good, would be a good plan. That way your dog travels half-price.

I would be surprised if the inter-city buses allow it, in the passenger compartment. Not really enough room for a big dog.

Bom caminho!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello! I’m wondering what you ended up doing and how it went? I’m a Canadian looking to do the Camino Portuguese with my dog, 20kg. Thank you so much!

Hello! I’m wondering what you ended up doing and how it went? I’m a Canadian looking to do the Camino Portuguese with my dog, 20kg. Thank you so much!
Hi @Husky travels . If you click on the tag "dogs/domestic animals" at the top of the thread, you'll find more threads about taking dogs on the Camino.

[Edited to correct tag name]

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back