• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino #2 /2019

Marijkapaprika

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis September/October( 2017)
Del Norte - August/September (2019)
Insight Please!
Last year I walked the Camino Frances from Saint Jean to Santiago. I am still glowing every single day! I travel solo but never felt I was alone. I suppose it was a choice.....sometimes I felt like walking alone and other times I cherished meeting up and walking with others. Having the option to do this was great!
So, I understand the Del Norte definitely has a different vibe going on and my question is:
While I enjoy travelling solo, will there be many other pilgrims walking during August and September? There were some stretches that I walked on the Frances that I found myself alone; mostly because on those days my distances were longer. I was okay with this but I did feel reluctant at times. I was very famous for getting myself LOST. Yes, I know, even with the arrows and shells I managed to do this!! (Let's go with.....I was having a senior moment)
For those of you who have walked the Norte and have experienced what you think I can expect; any comments would be awesome!
All my accommodations are being booked in advance so that part will be taken care of . I am leaving Canada on July 31, flying into Biarritz then busing into Hendaye for 2 nights before I begin.
Thanks
Marijka

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Marijka. You won't be alone so don't worry. I walked the Norte in June, supposedly quieter then July and August, and was surprised by how many people were walking. I stayed in albergues which helps to build connections but even without that you will meet plenty of pilgrims on the road. I too do longer distances (35km a day typical) and plenty of people were doing the same. Buen camino.

Hi Marijka. You won't be alone so don't worry. I walked the Norte in June, supposedly quieter then July and August, and was surprised by how many people were walking. I stayed in albergues which helps to build connections but even without that you will meet plenty of pilgrims on the road. I too do longer distances (35km a day typical) and plenty of people were doing the same. Buen camino.
Thanks for that Phil!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would doubt you'd be alone in August / September. The Norte is the only Camino in Spain I've got really lost on, especially the section from Bilbao to Santander (trying to get through Portugalete and Gallarta was very complicated, and the day going into Laredo) - arrows and signs seemed to keep running out, but that was a couple of years ago. The other really confusing place for me was somewhere around Ribadasella, I remember walking in circles through forest paths and ended up just following a main road to find the next town.

Thanks! I will make note of these places.

Not nearly as many people as the French route. I really enjoyed the solitude. Got close with the few people I met on the way. This was last May. Was very rainy most of the route. I got off the trail a couple of times but the locals got me back on the trail. Way different then the social event that is the French route.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not nearly as many people as the French route. I really enjoyed the solitude. Got close with the few people I met on the way. This was last May. Was very rainy most of the route. I got off the trail a couple of times but the locals got me back on the trail. Way different thsocial event that is the French route.
Thanks for that! I just booked my flight to Biarritz, July 30/2019. I will start in Hendaye. And yes, I am sure I will manage to get myself lost along the way. I am absolutely challenged when trying to follow directions!!

Insight Please!
Last year I walked the Camino Frances from Saint Jean to Santiago. I am still glowing every single day! I travel solo but never felt I was alone. I suppose it was a choice.....sometimes I felt like walking alone and other times I cherished meeting up and walking with others. Having the option to do this was great!
So, I understand the Del Norte definitely has a different vibe going on and my question is:
While I enjoy travelling solo, will there be many other pilgrims walking during August and September? There were some stretches that I walked on the Frances that I found myself alone; mostly because on those days my distances were longer. I was okay with this but I did feel reluctant at times. I was very famous for getting myself LOST. Yes, I know, even with the arrows and shells I managed to do this!! (Let's go with.....I was having a senior moment)
For those of you who have walked the Norte and have experienced what you think I can expect; any comments would be awesome!
All my accommodations are being booked in advance so that part will be taken care of . I am leaving Canada on July 31, flying into Biarritz then busing into Hendaye for 2 nights before I begin.
Thanks
Marijka
Hallo Marijka, hubby and I walked the del Norte along the coast in May and while we met most pilgrims at the albergues there were very, very few on the road itself. Some parts I would not advice you to walk alone and any info that you can get from the hospitaleras would help with identifying those parts so that you can maybe tie up with a fellow pilgrim. Do enjoy the route, whether inland or coastal, as it is stunning.

Hallo Marijka, hubby and I walked the del Norte along the coast in May and while we met most pilgrims at the albergues there were very, very few on the road itself. Some parts I would not advice you to walk alone and any info that you can get from the hospitaleras would help with identifying those parts so that you can maybe tie up with a fellow pilgrim. Do enjoy the route, whether inland or coastal, as it is stunning.
Thanks! So, the parts that you feel I should not walk alone, can you be more specific? My route is being mapped out by an Adventure Travel Agency. Last year I did Camino Frances in 31 days but this time round I am taking my time and doing it in 46. I won't have the opportunity of meeting pilgrims in albergues as I am having all my accommodations pre booked and will be lodging in hotels. From what I have learned so far, this route is very different and less pilgrims but I am wondering if August and September may be somewhat busier than May.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks! So, the parts that you feel I should not walk alone, can you be more specific? My route is being mapped out by an Adventure Travel Agency. Last year I did Camino Frances in 31 days but this time round I am taking my time and doing it in 46. I won't have the opportunity of meeting pilgrims in albergues as I am having all my accommodations pre booked and will be lodging in hotels. From what I have learned so far, this route is very different and less pilgrims but I am wondering if August and September may be somewhat busier than May.
Hi Marijka, sorry I haven't come back to you yet. I'll have a look in our guide and let you have the parts we felt were not so safe.

Insight Please!
Thanks
Marijka
Hola, @Marijkapaprika

While I enjoy travelling solo, will there be many other pilgrims walking during August and September?

Here are some statistics for the month of September 2018
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/statistics/ Statistics for September 2018

Camino del Norte starting points: Irun 820 pilgrims ; Bilbao 210; Santander 195; San Sebastian 121; Biarritz 4
Arrivals in Santiago de Compostela from Camino del Norte : 2548.

Camino statistics pdf, 2016
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/peregrinaciones2016.pdf

Pilgrims starting in Irun in 2016 : 4763
Pilfrims arriving in SdC from Camino del Norte in 2016: total 17289

here were some stretches that I walked on the Frances that I found myself alone; mostly because on those days my distances were longer. I was okay with this but I did feel reluctant at times. I was very famous for getting myself LOST. Yes, I know, even with the arrows and shells I managed to do this!! (Let's go with.....I was having a senior moment)

...for those senior moments...
You may find it reassuring to carry a GPS...

Buen camino!
Lovingkindness

camino del norte 25 july 2011.JPG
25 July, 2011 Fiesta de Santiago Apostel, Camino del Norte

Last edited:
Hallo Marijka, August is the busiest month on the Norte, not just for pilgrims but for Spanish and other nationalities taking their annual vacations along the coastline of northern Spain. The Norte meanders inland more often than not, so there may be quieter days. There is a strange things happens on the Norte, I have been on it twice, you know the section you are on is busy, but you end up not seeing another pilgrim whilst you are walking it, I have spent days in some places and have seen processions of pilgrims go through that place but on the way it feels like you have it to yourself. Good Luck

Buen Camino

Ps getting lost on my 1st Norte was my specialty, you get to see lots of places you wouldn't normally, + under a former incarnation on here it helped me answer lots of questions about places.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you are walking in August (late)and Sept the weather will be beautiful
It's obvious you are staying in the larger towns for sightseeing so the pilgrimage with others won't occur as per last year.
My wife is 70 yrs and she walked Norte from Biarritz alone so I cannot see why a previous comment was made.
Enjoy this walk , enjoy the seafood and if unsure about any section ask where you are staying , they will go out of their way to assist.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.