• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino afterthoughts

Jerome74

Hello there! Maybe some do remember me ...

I've arrived in Santiago on Tuesday and my plane is leaving tomorrow.

And right now I'm both happy and sad. Happy because I see my family and friends again and sad because I already miss some of the wonderful people I met on the Camino and I also miss this very special atmosphere of kindness and openness between the pilgrims. The 'real' world now looks so cold and harsh ... I will try my best to add some more positiveness to it though :)

This has been one of the best experiences of my life and I just can recommend it to everyone. The walking was great, and don't miss out on the Meseta!! A few of the nicest landscapes are soon after Burgos. And they're worth the boringness of some other parts of the Meseta. And go the alternative routes whenever possible. They're more beautiful and usually less travelled. And in general I was surprised that although there were lots of people it wasn't as bad as I expected (except for the last 100km ...). The weather was ok, we had sunny days, but also cold and rainy ones ... I guess you can't always win ;)

I've also met 3 people from this forum, which was cool! A big hello to Pamela (buena), Lauren (LaurenE) and Paolo (Bob)!! Nice to have met you :)

Have a nice day and lots of love,

Jerome

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Welcome home to you Jerome74,
I'm a new arrival to this site. Great to see you survived!!!
How long were you on the trail?
I'm heading off next Sunday morning for the first time ( & I'm guessing I'm twice your age.)
Party on / Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Jerome !
Fine to see that you made it and that you had a nice time, although you certainly had also harder days, as everybody. I remember you had lots of questions before you departed, now you have the answers and can help other and new pilgrims. It's indeed an unique experience in your life.
How about your foot problem?

Jupp

Hi Jerome.
Congratulations on completing and experiencing the beauty of the camino.
We are eager to hear details!

I remember that earlier you were looking for advice for various means of transport over the Pyrenees, so I am specifically curious about whether or not you used the Express Buricott service offered by Caroline Aphessetche, and how that worked for you.

Jupp said:
Hi Jerome !
Fine to see that you made it and that you had a nice time, although you certainly had also harder days, as everybody. I remember you had lots of questions before you departed, now you have the answers and can help other and new pilgrims. It's indeed an unique experience in your life.
How about your foot problem?

Jupp

I didn't go the Route Napoleon and started in Roncesvalles. Afterwards no foot problem at all! And only one tiny blister.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
NB Kevin said:
Hi Jerome.
Congratulations on completing and experiencing the beauty of the camino.
We are eager to hear details!

I will but later. I'm too tired today and I still have to adjust to 'normal' life again ...

I remember that earlier you were looking for advice for various means of transport over the Pyrenees, so I am specifically curious about whether or not you used the Express Buricott service offered by Caroline Aphessetche, and how that worked for you.

It worked perfectly and she's a very nice woman. We had a nice chat in the car.

No blisters

Jerome74 said:
Afterwards no foot problem at all! And only one tiny blister.

I am especially interested when I read that people had no blisters and am always interested in their methods. Two of the most common reasons given by people who have managed to remain blister-free seem to be that they wore a liner under a good quality sock, and/or that they took their socks off, even changed them half way through the day, to reduce moisture on the feet. Did you use either of these methods Jerome? Or did you do something else?

Hi Kiwi,

Well, I did it like this:

Put Vaseline on my feet in the morning
Then wear my quality socks (no liner)
Take of the socks during my lunch break (or even also in the smaller ones) so that my feet could dry

Hope that helps :)

Jerome

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.