• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Angel : What to bring from home to give out to fellow pilgrims ?

Footlose

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2019
I am thinking to do random acts of kindness along the way to fellow pilgrims. Which lightweight items will be much appreciated that I can bring from home and can offer in a fellow pilgrims hour of need ?

1. So far I was thinking to bring a few big safety diaper pins ( I have gone to the needlework store and bought the biggest ones I could find - ( 4 cm / 1 1/2 " long ) .
2. I will buy chocolate and dried fruit and nuts on arrival and want to offer pieces.
3.Also want to bring cotton wool for feet /shoes that might be helpful.
4. From Costco or Wallmart sachets of Electrolyte powder for hydration.

For me life is give and receive and I feel a big need to give out a few light weight items along the way. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am thinking to do random acts of kindness along the way to fellow pilgrims. Which lightweight items will be much appreciated that I can bring from home and can offer in a fellow pilgrims hour of need ?

1. So far I was thinking to bring a few big safety diaper pins ( I have gone to the needlework store and bought the biggest ones I could find - ( 4 cm / 1 1/2 " long ) .
2. I will buy chocolate and dried fruit and nuts on arrival and want to offer pieces.

For me life is give and receive and I feel a big need to give out a few light weight items along the way. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Hello @Footlose giving out the most lightweight of gifts would be to walk and just be among others, takin the opportunity to help others should they need it & the more difficult for many of us to accept with gratitude & grace when kindness is shown to us. This option adds no extra weight to your backpack. Buen Camino!

Great idea. When I was in Astorga I bought some extra chocolate for just that reason. What about extra tissue packets, bandaids, and maybe some Emergen-c for those feeling a little under the weather?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery

I know it wasn't the lightest but I brought a small back of shells I had collected while at Puerto to Penasco. I would hand them out to the locals as well as to Perigrino's. I know not as practical as electrolytes but perhaps they will remember me in a small way.

I think the most valuable thing you can give others on Camino is you. In a gentle and unobtrusive way.

Your time to listen and not judge
Your energy when others are flagging
Your spirit when others are down

And they will do the same for you.

Tread softly upon the way........ ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My partner carried little boomerang shaped magnets from a souvenir store near our place. I made friendship bands before I left. We gave these things out to people who we met, got to know, came to love and influenced us in some way :)

Earplugs!

Particularly as an occasional snorer it seemed like a good idea. I took 100 pairs last year, which weighed not much more than a gram per pair.

That many was perhaps overkill, I was leaving handfuls at albergue receptions by the end but I did become known as the guy who had earplugs and many people were very grateful for them.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I think the most valuable thing you can give others on Camino is you. In a gentle and unobtrusive way.

Your time to listen and not judge
Your energy when others are flagging
Your spirit when others are down

And they will do the same for you.

Tread softly upon the way........ ;)
Your words are so true. And doing this feels so good in many ways.

Wish you well , Peter .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Totally agree with Robo and trecile. ...however much appreciated a fellow pellegrino with a bag of extra rubber pole tips when I had lost one of mine!!! : )

Perhaps non-material things?

How about a smile?
A helping hand?
Some consideration?
A non-judgemental ear?

I simply love the motive behind your post. It's heart-warming, soul re-affirming and beautiful.

Buen (being you) Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I did my first camino in 2015 I decided to bring with me something to symbolize my hometown that I could hopefully share with a local somewhere along the way. So i brought a few small little basketball keychains from my home Syracuse University. Never could I have imagined the joy it would end up bringing me.

I was waiting for the right moment and it happened when i was walking from Logrono to Najera, I passed a schoolyard with children outside playing. They all came over the fence yelling "Buen Camino" so i stopped pulled out my key chains and threw them up to the kids. Thinking that would be the end of it, I continued on very happy that they seemed to really excited and appreciative of it. Well little did I know these kids were going on a field trip and i would run into them later on in the day in Najera and sure enough the young girl that caught the keychain recognized me and excitedly waved it to me, I went over and took photos with them. A camino moment that I'll never forget:)

Attachments

• IMG_2245.JPG
    IMG_2245.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2255.JPG
    IMG_2255.JPG
    423.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2267.JPG
    IMG_2267.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
IMG_2329.jpg I made 350 bracelets/anklets to give out along the way...simple hemp cord with Picasso's Peace Dove in Bronze Charm...gave to pilgrims, village people, service workers, cashiers, babies being baptized, young, old, disabled, those hurting, those crying, those looking like they needed some peace...in the end, I left the remaining 30 at The Pilgrim House.

Attachments

• IMG_2330.jpg
    IMG_2330.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 20
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Those small 1 cup Packs of instant Coffee,worth their weight in gold,on a Cold Camino morning

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Great idea. When I was in Astorga I bought some extra chocolate for just that reason. What about extra tissue packets, bandaids, and maybe some Emergen-c for those feeling a little under the weather?

Chocolate, yes. Tissues, always welcome. But anything medicinal is often viewed with suspicion these days.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back