A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Camino App Ideas and Brainstorming--help me find the Way :)

fiery.pilgrim

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Primitivo
Hello fellow peregrinos!

I’ve done a few routes and it’s become something of an obsession of mine. I also happen to be a software developer, and was thinking of merging my two passions.

I used an app in my last camino, and although it did the job, I felt like it could be improved, and am thinking of creating another one. I am hoping to use technology to enhance the experience and maintain the spirit. The bare minimum would be a more intuitive user interface, and a different cost structure (I'm thinking about offering a free, ad-supported version for those of us who are more budget constrained).

I need your help! If you could help me by completing this survey I would very much appreciate it! https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Gw6vrgBIFis2_KhKUnCZ2giwI7l-pORvXru-ELR9ym8

Thank you! In addition to the survey, I'd like to get our collective brainstorming ideas flowing. I’d love for you to post and discuss on this thread an answer to this question:

What type of problems did you have on the camino that you thought an app might help with (besides basic route guides and albergue directories). Or what features did you always want but never got?
Please also categorize if you could (e.g. utility, social, fun, spiritual)

I’ll start:

• I miss shell signs often when lost in thought, would be great if the app could tell me if I’m going off course. [utility]
  • I would love to learn more about the towns and historical facts, it would be great if the app could serve as a tour guide [fun]
Thanks for your help!

Dorpie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia 2013
Camino Frances May 2015
Camino Frances July 2017
Good luck, if you can get it right you may have a decent money spinner and I have no problem with that if soemthing useful is being provided.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2018
Go to your app store and search for Wise Pilgrim Guides. If Michael has not created an app for it, you likely do not need it.

In particular, he developed an app called "The Yellow X" It tells you if you are presently on the Camino based on your device's location.

It works best for the Camino Frances, as most pilgrims continue that route. Also, pilgrims who are doing other routes likely have already done the Frances, and generally do not have directional problems.

Hope this helps.

fiery.pilgrim

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Primitivo
Go to your app store and search for Wise Pilgrim Guides. If Michael has not created an app for it, you likely do not need it.

In particular, he developed an app called "The Yellow X" It tells you if you are presently on the Camino based on your device's location.

It works best for the Camino Frances, as most pilgrims continue that route. Also, pilgrims who are doing other routes likely have already done the Frances, and generally do not have directional problems.

Hope this helps.
Thanks! I have done a comparison of the apps, including of course Wise Pilgrim. I appreciate your input. Ultimately, I would not pursue this venture if I didn't think I can add something of value.

Last edited:

fiery.pilgrim

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Primitivo
Another question for you guys. How important do you think images are in your apps or guidebooks, of the scenery and of the albergues?

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 146 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 245 25.0%