• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino april 2018

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Will anyone try to go to Camino in early April 2018?
Hello/Pozdravljen :)

I start April 19th but from Madrid followed with transition to Levante and on Sanabres to SdC. Rough plan is to be there May 24th and on to Fisterra/Muxia. Maybe we see each other.

Buen Camino!/Srečno pot!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Our group of 7 is heading out the 11th or 12th of April 4 Adults with 3 adorable 11 year old grandsons/grand nephews :) from SJPDP

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Easter unofficially marks the beginning of the "season" for the Camino. This year, Easter happens to fall early, on 1 April (no joke). So a lot of folks will get an earlier start on the Camino, especially on the Frances.

Just be aware that you can hit a lot of rain, as well as snow during April and into May. The dry and hot season does not really get going until past mid-June.

At elevations above about 700 meters ASL, snow is common until late May. On three passages past Cruz de Ferro (2013, 2014, 2016) I have experienced snow on the ground in mid-May.

In 2014, I experienced a brief white-out at O'Cebreiro after that...just past mid-May. The snow was temporarily falling and blowing so fast, you could not see more than about 25 meters. It was amazing!

Of course, with the increased heat form the sun, the snow does not remain on the ground long. It usually stays just long enough to make you miserable. cold and wet. Then, as you keep walking, the sun dries you out, and all is good.

That is what happened at O'Cebreiro in 2014. As soon as I got down the hill, onto the access road, heading towards Triacastela, the snow was just "gone." It was there one moment and just around a bend in the path...gone.

Hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Starting from St Jean about April 10
So are we. Look for an impossibly beautiful, elegant, and vaguely exotic looking woman named Connie, accompanied by a dull grey box (that would be me) in St Jean on the 9th. Here's to hoping for a change in the long range weather forecast!

Buen Camino

Hello my friend. myself and a small group are walking on the 11th April. Do not be afraid the camino will provide but also provide some common sense of your own. In the form of some thermal wear as the pass will have only been open from the 1st April. Look on this site Weather in April.
Do not be put off by these comments you could get a stunning day in April on the pass. Snow on the ground a view for ever or a snow storm.
Things to remember.
Have faith in your own ability.
Have faith that the camino will provide.
Have faith in the people that will appear from nowhere and walk beside you.
All the best good luck God bless.

Starting April 6 or 7 (still have to figure it out). I'll be in Barcelona from April 1 until I head to SJPP, so if any pilgrims in the city want to meet up for a copa, reach out.

Hi, I'm Halldis from Norway, and I will arrive St JPP on 24th March and start My first Camino the next day.

Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We (my husband and I) plan to leave SJPP on April 6th. From the posts it looks like we’ll be starting with a few other 1st timers!
Snap, where are you staying the night before and do you plan to do Roncesvalles in one day. This will be my fourth camino, second from St Jean

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there! It is putting such a smile on my face to know so many pilgrims will be starting around the same time as me. I am starting April 1st/2nd from SJPP. Maybe our paths will cross :)

Buen Camino

Arrive in Bairritz airport on 10th April 2018 around 13.10 looking to share transport to St Jean. Start the walk on the 11th.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Snap, where are you staying the night before and do you plan to do Roncesvalles in one day. This will be my fourth camino, second from St Jean

We are staying at Maison Donamaria. The emails we have exchanged have been so friendly. Advice from pilgrims here in Southern Calif is to try to stay at Orisson (depending on weather). If not going that way I think we are undecided. First camino, mid 50s, relatively good shape...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We are staying at Maison Donamaria. The emails we have exchanged have been so friendly. Advice from pilgrims here in Southern Calif is to try to stay at Orisson (depending on weather). If not going that way I think we are undecided. First camino, mid 50s, relatively good shape...
Ask the pilgrim office to phone Orisson for you when you arrive if the route is open. I have contacted Orisson twice recently and their answer is that they are not taking reservations for the week we are going. They recommend phoning the day before.I am booked into Pelerin. If going via ValCarlos, I am stopping the night there. The whole walk to Roncesvalles in one day is too much for me. My son tried it in 2012 and a friend from Florida tried it in 2014 and both regretted it.

I will be arriving in Najera or Santo Domingo on April 10th. Heading out on the 11th for about 8 days of recovery before I have to head back to the States.

Ask the pilgrim office to phone Orisson for you when you arrive if the route is open. I have contacted Orisson twice recently and their answer is that they are not taking reservations for the week we are going. They recommend phoning the day before.I am booked into Pelerin. If going via ValCarlos, I am stopping the night there. The whole walk to Roncesvalles in one day is too much for me. My son tried it in 2012 and a friend from Florida tried it in 2014 and both regretted it.

Yes, I think I’ve decided the 2 days into Roncesvalles will be a good idea for us also!
What/where is Pelerín?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, I think I’ve decided the 2 days into Roncesvalles will be a good idea for us also!
What/where is Pelerín?
Pelerín is an auberge just down the street from the pilgrim office. Checked most of them on their web pages and this appeared to be the best

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I plan to start in SJPP on April 9. Very excited to arrive and get started
RJH, after reviewing my arrival time in St Jean on 7th April will amend my start date to 9th April, May see you on the Camino- Stay Safe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We are 2 leaving SJPDP April 15th. so ready but nervous

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, I'm Halldis from Norway, and I will arrive St JPP on 24th March and start My first Camino the next day.

Buen Camino.
Heia Norge, starter 5 April fra SJPP !! Buen Camino!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
4 April from SJPP. Taxi booked with Express Burricot if anyone wants to share ...

Will start at Burgos the 21st. My first Camino and a bit nervous. I suppose it takes 10 to 14 days from SJPP to Burgos So I might meet some of you who start there between 7th and 10th. See you somewhere at the Meseta.

I start the 17th from Burgos. You will most likely pass me, as I will be walking slowly and doing short days my first week out. Buen Camino.

I start the 17th from Burgos. You will most likely pass me, as I will be walking slowly and doing short days my first week out. Buen Camino.

I will be walking through Burgos just ahead of you. I am meeting three of my Irish friends that I met on the Camino in 2016 there.
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Starting from SJPP 5th April. Staying at le Chemin vers l'Etoile the night before.

I’m starting in SJPP April 6 taking my one and only rest day in Burgos, am there the 17 and 18

Starting April 11, from Pamplona. Good way

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
NancyLee - maybe I will see you. I will start from SJP on 3/19!!
Hey - I am curious how you are getting to SJP. My only option right now seems to be a 100 Euro cab from Pamplona. The other option is to take quite a few long train connections. I don't want to delay my start on 3.19. Thanks!

Hey - I am curious how you are getting to SJP. My only option right now seems to be a 100 Euro cab from Pamplona. The other option is to take quite a few long train connections. I don't want to delay my start on 3.19. Thanks!
Hi I am flying into CDG then bus to montparnaise station then train to Bayonne then St jpdp one ticket about 60 euros.

Hi I am flying into CDG then bus to montparnaise station then train to Bayonne then St jpdp one ticket about 60 euros.
That was smart- I should have done Paris. I am coming from Madrid. Maybe I will see you out there!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
check this out:
https://www.rome2rio.com/

bus seems to be the best option

We will leave St Jean to Orisson on April 24

I will start from Pamplona on April 5th. Hope to meet some of you :)

We(me & my wife , 60s, 1st Camino) had a plan to start from SJPP on April 12.
Recently change our schedule to start from DONOSTIA north route instead of SJPP.
We will arrive at BAYON(korean guesthouse) late night April 11 from SEOUL by plane.
Next day we will move to DONOSTIA by bus or train and stay one night at there, then we will stsrt our Camino through North Route to BILBAO, and will join France Route at LOGRONO on April 16.
We change the schedule because of Temperature(weather will be almost same but temparature is 10'C higher than NAVARRA Region),cost view scenery and nice food of BASQUE Region.
Staying at SAN SEVASTIAN and BILBIO will be the happiest moment in the biggining of this CAMINO.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If all goes as planned I will start walking from SJPdP on April 2nd.

Flying from Houston to Paris, train from CdG to Bayonne, staying overnight in Bayonne, then staying overnight in Saint Jean before heading out on Monday morning.

I don't have All The Time Needed :confused: to complete the [entire] journey so I will walk to Pamplona then jump on a train to Astorga to complete the rest of The Way.

If all goes as planned I will start walking from SJPdP on April 2nd.

Flying from Houston to Paris, train from CdG to Bayonne, staying overnight in Bayonne, then staying overnight in Saint Jean before heading out on Monday morning.

I don't have All The Time Needed :confused: to complete the [entire] journey so I will walk to Pamplona then jump on a train to Astorga to complete the rest of The Way.
I would suggest that you reconsider this plan. For me a wonderful part of the Camino is the people I meet and the relationships I made. My Camino families will always be dear to me. If you start and stop it may be hard to have this experience. Many people like yourself cannot clear enough time to do the entire route so you are not alone. I would suggest you start in SJPdP and walk as far as you can, to return another year to finish. If the compostela is important to you and you don't believe you will ever be able to return then start in Leon and walk to Santiago. Try to give yourself some flexibility, even in the short time you have. The feeling of trying to meet a tight time schedule may not give you that "Camino experience."

I would suggest that you reconsider this plan. For me a wonderful part of the Camino is the people I meet and the relationships I made. My Camino families will always be dear to me. If you start and stop it may be hard to have this experience. Many people like yourself cannot clear enough time to do the entire route so you are not alone. I would suggest you start in SJPdP and walk as far as you can, to return another year to finish. If the compostela is important to you and you don't believe you will ever be able to return then start in Leon and walk to Santiago. Try to give yourself some flexibility, even in the short time you have. The feeling of trying to meet a tight time schedule may not give you that "Camino experience."

In all honesty, it would be unlikely that I would make it back to "complete" it (the whole Frances.) I should at least make an attempt at the Compostela.

And how is this different from someone just saying they are are starting in Astorga (or Leon or Sarria...or wherever) and continuing on to Santiago? I am pretty sure I can have a Camino Experience walking from Astorga to Santigo.

I just wanted to be able to see SJPdP and do the walk over the Pyrenees because, why not? That's why I added it to the beginning of my journey...

Hike your own hike
Camino your own camino
and all of that ;)

Wow! Us too!
Hello my friend. myself and a small group are walking on the 11th April. Do not be afraid the camino will provide but also provide some common sense of your own. In the form of some thermal wear as the pass will have only been open from the 1st April. Look on this site Weather in April.
Do not be put off by these comments you could get a stunning day in April on the pass. Snow on the ground a view for ever or a snow storm.
Things to remember.
Have faith in your own ability.
Have faith that the camino will provide.
Have faith in the people that will appear from nowhere and walk beside you.
All the best good luck God bless.

We are also starting St Jean April 11. party of 7.

Looks like those of us starting at the beginning of April are in for some wet days! Bring your waterproofs!!

Hi
My friend and I will be travelling from Sydney and arriving in St Jean on Friday 6 April, and then commencing our Camino on Sunday 8 April. Spending a day in St Jean first.

Hi
My friend and I will be travelling from Sydney and arriving in St Jean on Friday 6 April, and then commencing our Camino on Sunday 8 April. Spending a day in St Jean first.
I will be one day behind you, leaving Sydney on 6 Apr, intend leaving St Jean Monday 9, May catch up up, enjoy, stay safe

Only 4 sleeps to go until I fly to Barcelona- 2 days there and then train and bus to SJPP and the day after Buen Camino- absolutely busting to go :)

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back